Beretta M-90 sniper rifle

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

WyvernWarrior
D-Bee

Beretta M-90 sniper rifle

Unread post by WyvernWarrior »

so I've been building a sniper character for a rifts game im doing with my friends and i don't actually own any books, so i have been using the wonderful archive that is known as thetrove.net and while i was looking through it i found a file called conventional firearms, and on it was a beast of a gun called a Beretta M-90 sniper rifle, so far i have been able to find most of the other guns that where on that file but i have been unable to find the source material for that specific one, i would love to use it for my character, however if its not cannon then im not sure that i should. so my question is this; does anyone know if this gun is in any of the palladium rifts books? or in the palladium universe? if so can you please guide me to the book that it is located in?

the gun is called the "Beretta M-90 Sniper Rifle"
Prole
Wanderer

Re: Beretta M-90 sniper rifle

Unread post by Prole »

Never heard of it, Google has never heard of it either. I checked the CCW book and found a generic Beretta Sniper Rifle, but it's stats are obviously completely wrong.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The only Rifts Rifle AFAIK that has a designation of "M-90" comes from Rifts Underseas (M-90 Multi-Weapon Assault System) used by the Semper-fi and Merbot PAs. The Only "Beretta" weapons I can think of are in Merc Ops in the generic GAW gun section.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Jefffar wrote:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M90?

In that case, Kitsune's Palladium Web Page, Netbook of Conventional Firearms(http://kitsunesden.xyz/Firearms/Firearms.htm#Lists) has a number of Barrett weapons.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
WyvernWarrior
D-Bee

this is the link to the file that i found the weapon in.

---------------MODERATOR EDIT------------------------
I removed the link, and ask that you not post it again as that site violates Palladium Books copyright policies. Mack
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Was it a Barrett?
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

That document is a home brew, not a cut/paste from any of Palladium's books.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

WyvernWarrior wrote:so I've been building a sniper character for a rifts game im doing with my friends and i don't actually own any books, so i have been using the wonderful archive that is known as thetrove.net

Please buy the books.
WyvernWarrior
D-Bee

Trooper Jim wrote:Please buy the books.

I would but my parents dont like things like this, they see it as sinful so i cannot own any physical copies.
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

I went through that with my parents back in the day.
Colonel_Tetsuya
Champion

Unread post by Colonel_Tetsuya »

WyvernWarrior wrote:

I would but my parents dont like things like this, they see it as sinful so i cannot own any physical copies.

You can buy them as ebooks through DriveThruRpg (most books, anyway, not all, but Palladium is gradually adding back catalog).

i think that's how it is spelled anyway.

The most similar weapon in Rifts to what you're looking for is a Naruni Enterprises weapon (that is available on Earth), that appears in Dimension Book 3: Phase World Sourcebook.

It's called the NE-75H Shoulder Cannon.

Its basically CJ Carella's (the Author) homage to the Barret. It does an impressive 2D4x10+20 MD per shot at an impressive range (i will refrain from listing the rest of the stats; youll have to find them on your own), but since its a Naruni Enterprises weapon, the CS will kill you on sight for having it, so it comes with risks.

In terms of other "Sniper" type weapons.. the Barret itself could almost certainly be made (its actually a fairly simple bolt-action rifle, just built large to fire the .50BMG) - but it would be somewhat underwhelming in Rifts since at best you're going to get Ramjet rounds for it that dont do a ton of MD.

Outside of the Shoulder Cannon, your best bet for a heavy-hitting sniper weapon is going to be from Wilks (the 587 Heavy Sniper Rifle from Merc Ops, hits for 4D6+2 per shot), NGSSL20 Super Sniper Laser Rifle (6D6+6MD, but low-ish range and each shot takes 2 attacks, Northern Gun 1), or (if the timeline is sufficiently advanced for it to be available), the Triax TX-SL13 Ultra Sniper Rifle (massive range, high damage at 1d4x10 per shot, but must be fired from braced/prone position - no firing it like an assault rifle; from Triax 2). There's also nothing wrong with the good-old-fashioned JA-11 Juicer Assassin's rifle - 4D6 per shot, rail-gun like range, undermounted Ion blaster, and a bolt-action 7.62mm barrel as well. Really, its better than almost anything other than the Triax Ultra (which is "up to date" - only available post 109 PA) or the NE-75H, just because of its massive range, wide availability, and versatility.

IF you can get weapons from South America, there is also a really great sniper style rifle, the I-11 "Long Gun" that does an impressive 1D6x10MD per shot, but is 6ft long and basically requires you to either be prone/braced to fire it or be a cyborg or otherwise have high augmented strength or robotic or supernatural strength. But its also not available outside of South America, generally. (South America 2).
Im loving the Foes list; it's the only thing keeping me from tearing out my eyes from the dumb.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

The Barrett is a .50 BMG cal semi-auto, or bolt action Rifle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_M82

I prefer the XM500 version to the M90

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_XM500
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

My most recent character was a sniper.
A few things I did to make her deadly...
First off. I didn't use heavy weapons. I went in for rifles. Instead I leveraged the advantages of the various weapons. For example a heavy duty SDC sniper rifle loaded with silver bullets is a horrific sniper weapon against most supernatural targets.

The other thing I did was I burned most of my skills buying up all the various skills in the various books that you can tack on to improve your sniping. Even with out some of the nastier Rifter skills, I was still able to routinely pull of 6d6x10 or better from a mile or two away striking on a 2+...
Okay sure I had to spend a full round or more aiming... but still.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

eliakon wrote:Okay sure I had to spend a full round or more aiming... but still.

Well, the best snipers IRL do spend as much time if not more setting up THAT shot... :bandit:
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
WyvernWarrior
D-Bee

Colonel_Tetsuya wrote:
WyvernWarrior wrote:

You can buy them as ebooks through DriveThruRpg (most books, anyway, not all, but Palladium is gradually adding back catalog).

i think that's how it is spelled anyway.

The most similar weapon in Rifts to what you're looking for is a Naruni Enterprises weapon (that is available on Earth), that appears in Dimension Book 3: Phase World Sourcebook.

It's called the NE-75H Shoulder Cannon.

Its basically CJ Carella's (the Author) homage to the Barret. It does an impressive 2D4x10+20 MD per shot at an impressive range (i will refrain from listing the rest of the stats; youll have to find them on your own), but since its a Naruni Enterprises weapon, the CS will kill you on sight for having it, so it comes with risks.

In terms of other "Sniper" type weapons.. the Barret itself could almost certainly be made (its actually a fairly simple bolt-action rifle, just built large to fire the .50BMG) - but it would be somewhat underwhelming in Rifts since at best you're going to get Ramjet rounds for it that dont do a ton of MD.

Outside of the Shoulder Cannon, your best bet for a heavy-hitting sniper weapon is going to be from Wilks (the 587 Heavy Sniper Rifle from Merc Ops, hits for 4D6+2 per shot), NGSSL20 Super Sniper Laser Rifle (6D6+6MD, but low-ish range and each shot takes 2 attacks, Northern Gun 1), or (if the timeline is sufficiently advanced for it to be available), the Triax TX-SL13 Ultra Sniper Rifle (massive range, high damage at 1d4x10 per shot, but must be fired from braced/prone position - no firing it like an assault rifle; from Triax 2). There's also nothing wrong with the good-old-fashioned JA-11 Juicer Assassin's rifle - 4D6 per shot, rail-gun like range, undermounted Ion blaster, and a bolt-action 7.62mm barrel as well. Really, its better than almost anything other than the Triax Ultra (which is "up to date" - only available post 109 PA) or the NE-75H, just because of its massive range, wide availability, and versatility.

IF you can get weapons from South America, there is also a really great sniper style rifle, the I-11 "Long Gun" that does an impressive 1D6x10MD per shot, but is 6ft long and basically requires you to either be prone/braced to fire it or be a cyborg or otherwise have high augmented strength or robotic or supernatural strength. But its also not available outside of South America, generally. (South America 2).

thanks for all of the sugestions, the triax ultra sounds promising.

and i have no problem waiting to make my shot, ive actually burned a lot of my skills on ones that can help me with sniping. as of right now i have a total of +30 to my called shot :) even if it takes me about 10-15 mintutes to get the full bonus :P

Return to “Rifts®”