Random Cyborg thoughts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Random Cyborg thoughts

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

MadGreenSon wrote:
torjones wrote: I think the point I was trying to get at was that Mental Illness or Mental Aberration are not necessarily required for someone to be willing to augment themselves, and to further illustrate that point we also have Juicers and Crazys (and it's the MOM implants that supposedly make them crazy, rather than having the mental illness before the procedure). I agree that Rifts Earth really isn't into the whole Philosophy thing, but you don't need the Philosophy to be able to do a thing. And I also agree that The Three Galaxies are where I would expect to find an actual philosophy of transhumanism (or transdwarfism or whatever species one happens to be augmenting). I just don't think that with all of the actual trans- and post-humans running around on Rifts Earth that it's really all that rare for it to actually occur without the actual philosophy behind it. Just in RUE, there's 6 transhuman OCCs and 10 post-humans out of a total of 27 classes, that's over half the classes in the book, so I would say that a dominant philosophy of posthumanism exists, even if nobody is really cognizant of it as a philosophy.
and just for the record, I'm calling the following classes transhuman:
Combat Cyborg, Crazy, Cyber Knight, Headhunter, Juicer, City Rat.
and the following classes posthuman, though frankly, I'm expecting disagreement on the definition I'm using:
Elemental Fusionist, Ley Line Walker, Ley Line Rifter, Mystic, Shifter, Techno-Wizard, Burster, Dog Boy, Mind Melter, Psi-Stalker.
And even if you disagree with me on magic users being post-humans, that still leaves 4 clearly post-human classes, which only reduces the post/trans humans down to a bit over a third instead of a bit over half. maybe no longer dominant, but still a significant factor in the setting, and that is a very pervasive cultural meme.

We're seemingly using slightly different definitions of what we think transhumanism is, either way this actually does bring up something I've long contemplated and that did somewhat inform my statement about 'Borgs seeming odd to people who weren't 'Borgs.

This would apply to 'Borgs, Mages, Juicers, Crazies, Psychics of all kinds, etc. and it's that all of those people have access to senses and modes of interaction with the world that those unaugmented by anything will not. This will make them seem different to the unaugmented just because these people sense more of the world than they do and interact with the world in ways they cannot. If enough sensory augmentations were stacked on one person, they may trip the unaugmented's Uncanny Valley response with prolonged interaction.

'Borgs alone can be loaded with all kinds of alternate and enhanced sense. Imagine a regular dude walking into an area 'Borgs hang out in and being disturbed by the eerie silence and extremely dim lighting with a ringing undertone as the Borgs go about their socializing using radio or ultrasonics to communicate. For them, it's a regular day at the pool hall and they hear everything just fine and the light present is more than enough since they habitually enhance it, see thermals and ultraviolet and the music playing is on a private radio signal so that each of them can adjust the volume to their taste in their own heads.

To the regular guy, it looks like they're all mimeing in the dark and playing pool, for them it's just an evening at the 'Borg Club.

So it wouldn't be so much them being crazy at all, as much as them coming off really weird to the unaugmented, I just expressed it poorly. Now I do think the mindset that led them to their 'Borg life will inform their actions and behavior and lend itself to their weirdness, but I expressed it poorly before and have now had more time to think and reflect on it.

Well first the mining borg needs to repay the cost of getting converted. They also might work for some one else and get paid really bad. Perhaps they are doing for status, or support a town. They could be doing the work because they enjoy it. You should not look down on them for working to get money.

Honestly no one needs to be super rich to be comfortable, but to say because they can't feel comfort they should not want allot of money seams rather judgmental.
-After all as long as they are not hurting any one why should it mater how much money they are earning.

(also I can imagine the ore they mines is used by other people. If they where not mining there could be a lack of resouces in comunties.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Blue_Lion wrote:
MadGreenSon wrote:
torjones wrote: I think the point I was trying to get at was that Mental Illness or Mental Aberration are not necessarily required for someone to be willing to augment themselves, and to further illustrate that point we also have Juicers and Crazys (and it's the MOM implants that supposedly make them crazy, rather than having the mental illness before the procedure). I agree that Rifts Earth really isn't into the whole Philosophy thing, but you don't need the Philosophy to be able to do a thing. And I also agree that The Three Galaxies are where I would expect to find an actual philosophy of transhumanism (or transdwarfism or whatever species one happens to be augmenting). I just don't think that with all of the actual trans- and post-humans running around on Rifts Earth that it's really all that rare for it to actually occur without the actual philosophy behind it. Just in RUE, there's 6 transhuman OCCs and 10 post-humans out of a total of 27 classes, that's over half the classes in the book, so I would say that a dominant philosophy of posthumanism exists, even if nobody is really cognizant of it as a philosophy.
and just for the record, I'm calling the following classes transhuman:
Combat Cyborg, Crazy, Cyber Knight, Headhunter, Juicer, City Rat.
and the following classes posthuman, though frankly, I'm expecting disagreement on the definition I'm using:
Elemental Fusionist, Ley Line Walker, Ley Line Rifter, Mystic, Shifter, Techno-Wizard, Burster, Dog Boy, Mind Melter, Psi-Stalker.
And even if you disagree with me on magic users being post-humans, that still leaves 4 clearly post-human classes, which only reduces the post/trans humans down to a bit over a third instead of a bit over half. maybe no longer dominant, but still a significant factor in the setting, and that is a very pervasive cultural meme.

We're seemingly using slightly different definitions of what we think transhumanism is, either way this actually does bring up something I've long contemplated and that did somewhat inform my statement about 'Borgs seeming odd to people who weren't 'Borgs.

This would apply to 'Borgs, Mages, Juicers, Crazies, Psychics of all kinds, etc. and it's that all of those people have access to senses and modes of interaction with the world that those unaugmented by anything will not. This will make them seem different to the unaugmented just because these people sense more of the world than they do and interact with the world in ways they cannot. If enough sensory augmentations were stacked on one person, they may trip the unaugmented's Uncanny Valley response with prolonged interaction.

'Borgs alone can be loaded with all kinds of alternate and enhanced sense. Imagine a regular dude walking into an area 'Borgs hang out in and being disturbed by the eerie silence and extremely dim lighting with a ringing undertone as the Borgs go about their socializing using radio or ultrasonics to communicate. For them, it's a regular day at the pool hall and they hear everything just fine and the light present is more than enough since they habitually enhance it, see thermals and ultraviolet and the music playing is on a private radio signal so that each of them can adjust the volume to their taste in their own heads.

To the regular guy, it looks like they're all mimeing in the dark and playing pool, for them it's just an evening at the 'Borg Club.

So it wouldn't be so much them being crazy at all, as much as them coming off really weird to the unaugmented, I just expressed it poorly. Now I do think the mindset that led them to their 'Borg life will inform their actions and behavior and lend itself to their weirdness, but I expressed it poorly before and have now had more time to think and reflect on it.

Well first the mining borg needs to repay the cost of getting converted. They also might work for some one else and get paid really bad. Perhaps they are doing for status, or support a town. They could be doing the work because they enjoy it. You should not look down on them for working to get money.

Honestly no one needs to be super rich to be comfortable, but to say because they can't feel comfort they should not want allot of money seams rather judgmental.
-After all as long as they are not hurting any one why should it mater how much money they are earning.

(also I can imagine the ore they mines is used by other people. If they where not mining there could be a lack of resouces in comunties.)

Mining borgs make a lot of sense due to how durable they are and their own internal air supplies it would allow you to cut a ton of corners setting up mines because any cave in is not really a danger to the borgs. They also basically double as most/all of your mining machinery in the mine. They would allow safe mining of stuff that would just be too dangerous for unaugmented folks to go into. Also they double as mine security if some crazy critter/monster shows up having a couple mining borgs could easily dispatch most threats and then go back to work without losing time/lives.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

eliakon wrote:Since the Russian borgs have no insanity problems at all, neither do the Chinese ones and as this would have a human form as well...
The chances of insanity would seem to be pretty remote to the point of probably not being a factor.

Japan was, to be honest, written early when "power has a price" was still a theme of Rifts instead of "moah powah is kewl"

Actually I believe they do talk about this with some of the biggest of the russian borgs. But it also in the sovietski shows at least for their super heavies they have the option of getting slotted into a proletariat chasis for "down time" and retirement. So basically if they are feeling stressed they can get slotted into basically human sized fairly human looking body that can easily interact in normal non combat environments. So they are not stuck as a "monster". Combine this with the russian society being so accepting of borgs that a lot of the non human stressors are lessened by societal acceptance.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

kaid wrote:[
Actually I believe they do talk about this with some of the biggest of the russian borgs. But it also in the sovietski shows at least for their super heavies they have the option of getting slotted into a proletariat chasis for "down time" and retirement. So basically if they are feeling stressed they can get slotted into basically human sized fairly human looking body that can easily interact in normal non combat environments. So they are not stuck as a "monster". Combine this with the russian society being so accepting of borgs that a lot of the non human stressors are lessened by societal acceptance.

That, and vodka simulation chips.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

Blue_Lion wrote:Well first the mining borg needs to repay the cost of getting converted. They also might work for some one else and get paid really bad. Perhaps they are doing for status, or support a town. They could be doing the work because they enjoy it. You should not look down on them for working to get money.

I'm... not 100% sure how that relates to the post you quoted, but you do bring up one interesting idea there: one or more people sacrificing their humanity to support a town. I mean, that's pretty freakin altruistic right there. Volunteering to become a mining machine to put a roof over family and neighbors heads? Pretty admirable stuff, to be sure.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

MadGreenSon wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Well first the mining borg needs to repay the cost of getting converted. They also might work for some one else and get paid really bad. Perhaps they are doing for status, or support a town. They could be doing the work because they enjoy it. You should not look down on them for working to get money.

I'm... not 100% sure how that relates to the post you quoted, but you do bring up one interesting idea there: one or more people sacrificing their humanity to support a town. I mean, that's pretty freakin altruistic right there. Volunteering to become a mining machine to put a roof over family and neighbors heads? Pretty admirable stuff, to be sure.

I would imagine this would be pretty common. I am also curious how many borgs come from fairly elderly people. Once your body starts crapping out on you anyway there is not a lot of incentive to stick around in it when you could instead get a brand shiny new body that could help you live another 100+ years.
taalismn
Priest

kaid wrote:I would imagine this would be pretty common. I am also curious how many borgs come from fairly elderly people. Once your body starts crapping out on you anyway there is not a lot of incentive to stick around in it when you could instead get a brand shiny new body that could help you live another 100+ years.

Some might imagine that, given the longevity of 'borgs, some towns might get notions of legislating something like Johnathon Swift's Struldbruggs, where the effective immortals are forbidden from owning property, in order to make sure the economy keeps turning over.

Though there are substantial differences: the Struldbruggs were damned to atrophy and physical decrepitude, while 'borgs are big and strong, and probably took up the last of the person's personal fortune to pay for. Or, if the town paid for it, the new community 'borg effectively becomes a servant of the community/community property, so there's arguably another form of 'slave borg'.

Of course, post-conversion, if a community tried TOO hard to dictate what the new 'borg could or couldn't do, and what he or she could or couldn't own, the 'borg just might decide to take matters into their own hands and take what was wanted.
"I'm taking back the inheritance, sonny! I realize you don't deserve it!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
kaid wrote:I would imagine this would be pretty common. I am also curious how many borgs come from fairly elderly people. Once your body starts crapping out on you anyway there is not a lot of incentive to stick around in it when you could instead get a brand shiny new body that could help you live another 100+ years.

Some might imagine that, given the longevity of 'borgs, some towns might get notions of legislating something like Johnathon Swift's Struldbruggs, where the effective immortals are forbidden from owning property, in order to make sure the economy keeps turning over.

Though there are substantial differences: the Struldbruggs were damned to atrophy and physical decrepitude, while 'borgs are big and strong, and probably took up the last of the person's personal fortune to pay for. Or, if the town paid for it, the new community 'borg effectively becomes a servant of the community/community property, so there's arguably another form of 'slave borg'.

Of course, post-conversion, if a community tried TOO hard to dictate what the new 'borg could or couldn't do, and what he or she could or couldn't own, the 'borg just might decide to take matters into their own hands and take what was wanted.

Well there is that aspect, but then again it could also mean heroes could actually "learn" as well as teach and have family and build lives that matter then when all else fails (especially the body) becoming a borg to protect what's yours looks real tempting.

The preservation of just knowledge alone would be a boon for budding communities.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Hawk258 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Well there is that aspect, but then again it could also mean heroes could actually "learn" as well as teach and have family and build lives that matter then when all else fails (especially the body) becoming a borg to protect what's yours looks real tempting.

The preservation of just knowledge alone would be a boon for budding communities.

I agree with this being a likely outcome for those with the means, especially if you have the means to do what that one Russian Warlord does (Burgasov) and swap in more human-like parts when you are just spending time with the family. Granted, he's a partial conversion. Do we have that Sovietski-style chassis-switching for full conversion borgs being mentioned in other places?
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

dreicunan wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

I agree with this being a likely outcome for those with the means, especially if you have the means to do what that one Russian Warlord does (Burgasov) and swap in more human-like parts when you are just spending time with the family. Granted, he's a partial conversion. Do we have that Sovietski-style chassis-switching for full conversion borgs being mentioned in other places?

It sounded like in the sovietski book some of the full conversion borgs were reasonably "plug and play" Where transitioning from the super heavy chassis to an around town proletariat mech chassis. If you are rich enough probably just having your formal and your work bodies is probably doable.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Cyborg Bars ??
It is All VR. Plug in and they go limp. Transported into a server unit that has a program to look like a Bar or Nightclub. The Cyborg looks normal there.
Everything feels "real" there. It allows Cyborgs to relax develope friendships.
High Tech Cities could have these for cyborgs and anyone with a Headjack to enjoy themselves safely. From their own apartments even. Cities might want to limit it to physically plugging into it instead of using Wifi/Bluetooth/Cell tech to link into it.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
TechnoGothic
Knight

VR Gyms.
VR Shopping.
VR Target Practice simulators.
VR Adventures
VR Video Games...
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
taalismn
Priest

TechnoGothic wrote:VR Gyms.
VR Shopping.
VR Adventures
VR Video Games...

And, of course, VR sex clubs....

"How many credits are we in the hole on our communications bill? THIRTY-THOUSAND CREDITS FOR THE WHATTHEHELL?!----THE METAL KITTY KLANG-KLANG KLUB???!!!!! PANZER-BOB! YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAINING TO DO!!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

taalismn wrote:
VR Shopping.
VR Adventures
VR Video Games...

"How many credits are we in the hole on our communications bill? THIRTY-THOUSAND CREDITS FOR THE WHATTHEHELL?!----THE METAL KITTY KLANG-KLANG KLUB???!!!!! PANZER-BOB! YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAINING TO DO!!!!"

And that's how your crew of "heroes" ends up doing sleazy jobs for a loanshark: the 'Borg overspent on VR sex clubs and strange porn. :lol:
TechnoGothic
Knight

MadGreenSon wrote:
taalismn wrote:
VR Shopping.
VR Adventures
VR Video Games...

And that's how your crew of "heroes" ends up doing sleazy jobs for a loanshark: the 'Borg overspent on VR sex clubs and strange porn. :lol:

And that's when you find out your VR Girlfried/Lover is actually your friend Panzer-Bob
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

TechnoGothic wrote:
MadGreenSon wrote:
taalismn wrote:
VR Shopping.
VR Adventures
VR Video Games...

And that's when you find out your VR Girlfried/Lover is actually your friend Panzer-Bob

And that your friend panzer bob used to be a girl but thought being a giant hulking robot dude would give her less trouble in the military. Gender gets pretty fluid when you are a brain and some bits in a box.
Blue_Lion
Knight

kaid wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:
MadGreenSon wrote:
taalismn wrote:
VR Shopping.
VR Adventures
VR Video Games...

And that your friend panzer bob used to be a girl but thought being a giant hulking robot dude would give her less trouble in the military. Gender gets pretty fluid when you are a brain and some bits in a box.

I disagree gender identity has nothing to do with body parts.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:[

Depends. Do you favor plugs, or sockets? Pistons or Valves?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

taalismn wrote:

Gender Identity is not the same thing as sexual preference. Gender Identity is what gender you see yourself as. Placing some one that has a female gender Identity in a male cyborg body would cause Gender dysphoria. You can change the body easier than the Gender Identity.

taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Gender Identity is not the same thing as sexual preference. Gender Identity is what gender you see yourself as. Placing some one that has a female gender Identity in a male cyborg body would cause Gender dysphoria. You can change the body easier than the Gender Identity.

So....straight electrical shock stimulation to the pleasure centers, then.
Bypass the equipment and the preferences altogether.
Pure genderless euphoria in a pulse.

Of course, that way lies wireheading.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------