Diamond carbon armor.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Diamond carbon armor.

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Talons reach is developing a new armor system.
Currently known as Carbon/diamond tech.

Utilizing high temperatures (4000°C) under extreme atmospheric pressure carbon nanotubes or fiber can be coated with liquid diamonds and increase their strength and durability to MDC levels.

Early tests have shown a 1"x1"×1/32" (inches) has 1 MDC.
Additionally with nanotubes it adds the ability to absorb 99.5% of the light spectrum. Giving it fascinating properties.

Test trials for use as armor will begin soon.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Diamond carbon armor.

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Black armor is cool!

I'm not certain about the Technobabble though. Are we supposed to offer Critque on the idea or wait for stats?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

You are welcome to. This is a trial run to flesh out the idea. It is based on current science in real life
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Diamond has a high thermal conductivity (synthetic even more than natural). That much absorption of EM energy could make energy weapons very effective.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Well there is energy storage and generation through peizeo electric action. And much more to this. It will take a lot of fleshing out. I cover some in my co-op thread here viewtopic.php?f=8&t=147449

There is data storage potential and energy, and at least 1 metaphysical idea in the works.

Admittedly there is lots of moving parts to this, and could provide a benefit to many players.

I do want input and insight.

But I think we agree that there needs to be a balance of improvement and availability initially.

Like can diamond be used for e-clips with double capacity?

taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Hawk258 wrote:Like can diamond be used for e-clips with double capacity?

Since the technology behind e-clips* is not explained, how do we know it(synth-diamond) isn't already used in e-clips?

*And, depending on the GM, e-clips in-world can vary in availability from 'harder to come by than the weapons they're meant to power' to 'buy them in bubble-packs at the corner store, next to the disposable lighter rack'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

There is no piezoelectric effect in diamond, but there is an acoustoelectric effect.

Diamonds are excellent heat conductors but also excellent electrical insulators; so the question is whether the heat can be carried off to the thermocouple faster than it can destroy the diamond? If it's absorbing nearly 100% of a weapon's energy density (as a laser or particle beam), then it might destroy the diamond before it's carried off.

On the other hand, it's the future, so, ... :-)
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Correct. And as I stated this is to flesh it out and cover many bases.

I am still covering as many parts of this as I can and share this

As for the battery there is nuclear waste that is being upcycled into diamond batteries.

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2017/ph241/lanham2/

Now there are many aspect to cover for this.

But this isn't just about diamond. Its carbon technology as a whole which in a world such as rifts could turn the tide in survival and give a resource in game that "could" fit. Even if it isn't fully scientific.

Rifts breaks the laws of physics often and regularly.

There are exotic technologies and energies that "could" give carbon and diamonds specifically enhanced attributes.

Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Rifts... where batteries designed for pacemakers power 20 feet tall combat robots for decades. :)
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Natasha wrote:Rifts... where batteries designed for pacemakers power 20 feet tall combat robots for decades. :)

Why not?

You have weapons that use e-clips slightly larger than a D cell battery that can make modern artillery look like a sneeze.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Actually... this could put earth on the map. Earth has limited resources, and with the limited ability to get more resources carbon based technology might put earth on the map for energy and a resource that is easily made.

In fact there is something to be said for a carbon age of technology. I think earth specifically in rifts would actually benefit from this, as unlike the 3 galaxies and naruni... we don't have hundreds of thousands of worlds worth of resources... we are limited to what little patch of earth we can hold. With that said. Here is the FIRST (prototype?) Ideas for battery design.

A battery supply with 5 to 10 times the capacity of traditional e-clips.

And the ability to replace power armor/robots and vehicles nuclear power supplies with a nuclear diamond battery 1/5th the size but with the same life span and output.

I may decide to bump those numbers up, however even with these number it "could" potentially change the game on a "minor" level. But give earth an edge in building light but powerful and more durable power equipment.

And imagine how many worlds might pay earth to take some nuclear waste off their hands?

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Now using diamond as the resin for carbon fiber and adding light plating to base 5 MDC cloth would be an area to start.

Might have to roll play a run to Australia...

Input and suggestions on how to flesh this out is welcome.

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Hawk258 wrote:Talons reach is developing a new armor system.

Utilizing high temperatures (4000°C) under extreme atmospheric pressure carbon nanotubes or fiber can be coated with liquid diamonds and increase their strength and durability to MDC levels.

Additionally with nanotubes it adds the ability to absorb 99.5% of the light spectrum. Giving it fascinating properties.

nitpick diamonds ARE Carbon just condensed into a specific crystal lattice

it might make more sense to say that rather than trying to coat carbon nanotubes with another form of carbon.
IE https://www.google.com/search?q=fulleri ... e&ie=UTF-8

what was developed was a way to assemble large amounts of carbon nanotubes plus possibly other elements into materials that are effectively as hard (or harder than diamond but without being brittle like diamond
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

guardiandashi wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Talons reach is developing a new armor system.

nitpick diamonds ARE Carbon just condensed into a specific crystal lattice

it might make more sense to say that rather than trying to coat carbon nanotubes with another form of carbon.
IE https://www.google.com/search?q=fulleri ... e&ie=UTF-8

what was developed was a way to assemble large amounts of carbon nanotubes plus possibly other elements into materials that are effectively as hard (or harder than diamond but without being brittle like diamond

If you read further I do mention that. But thank you.

As for the link again "specific". fullerenes are the "general" term, nanotubes are specific as there are attributes specific to nanotubes specifically that are being addressed.

I do feel there should be a distinction as saying "carbon technology" alone is like saying for example: "metallurgy" instead of focusing on 2 specific metals, alloying those metals and dealing with specific developments of tech for each independent of the other.

taalismn
Priest

Hawk258 wrote:Actually... this could put earth on the map. Earth has limited resources, and with the limited ability to get more resources carbon based technology might put earth on the map for energy and a resource that is easily made.
And imagine how many worlds might pay earth to take some nuclear waste off their hands?

Well, it is mentioned that Rifts Earth weapons command good prices in the Three Galaxies because of their reliability.
And Naruni (and the Splugorth) arguably is using Earth as their R&D pressure-cooker to steal new ideas from.

And I figure some alien worlds are already using Earth as dump zone. Why bother paying us? Well, besides those who figure Earth can transform their waste into usable goods and sell it back to them at a discount.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Actually... this could put earth on the map. Earth has limited resources, and with the limited ability to get more resources carbon based technology might put earth on the map for energy and a resource that is easily made.

Well, it is mentioned that Rifts Earth weapons command good prices in the Three Galaxies because of their reliability.
And Naruni (and the Splugorth) arguably is using Earth as their R&D pressure-cooker to steal new ideas from.

And I figure some alien worlds are already using Earth as dump zone. Why bother paying us? Well, besides those who figure Earth can transform their waste into usable goods and sell it back to them at a discount.

Honestly I would likely exploit it.

taalismn
Priest

The trick is to convince the Rifts Earth nabobs that you're giving them premium raw materials and then selling cheap after-products back to unassuming alien rubes for more than the stuff is really worth, instead of dumping waste materials on them for a fraction of he cost of processing it at home, having the Earth-rubes recycle it at their own expense, then selling a quality product back to you at a fraction of the price you'll sell it to your own people/government, or third party rubniks.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:The trick is to convince the Rifts Earth nabobs that you're giving them premium raw materials and then selling cheap after-products back to unassuming alien rubes for more than the stuff is really worth, instead of dumping waste materials on them for a fraction of he cost of processing it at home, having the Earth-rubes recycle it at their own expense, then selling a quality product back to you at a fraction of the price you'll sell it to your own people/government, or third party rubniks.

You might back the cart up a bit... it's not made yet or even common knowledge

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Figure 5 years for talon reaches personal supply. First the resource then the product

Which if done right in the first 5 years talons reach could stock pile lots of waste. Get a contract then after the 5 years put the battery/e-clip on the open market

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

First I would begin with using what's easily available. Used up nuclear generators on earth.

That would be enough to get out of R&D.

Set up an initial 5 year contract to take waste for a "small" fee.

After that 5 years it becomes a service that is provided.

Then once talons reach has its reserves then mass marketing begins I would provide adventurers the service to "convert" their waste into batteries for a fee.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:Like can diamond be used for e-clips with double capacity?

Since the technology behind e-clips* is not explained, how do we know it(synth-diamond) isn't already used in e-clips?

*And, depending on the GM, e-clips in-world can vary in availability from 'harder to come by than the weapons they're meant to power' to 'buy them in bubble-packs at the corner store, next to the disposable lighter rack'.

We "don't" it's not stated. And yes it is up to the GM in the end.
Because "eclips" just work like a battery... who cares right?

Well Rifts was designed for this kind of idea. Now you as a gm can chose to use this or not. However I believe that the ambiguity of e-clip and battery tech was designed for just this reason.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

In fact there is something to be said for a carbon age of technology. I think earth specifically in rifts would actually benefit from this, as unlike the 3 galaxies and naruni... we don't have hundreds of thousands of worlds worth of resources... we are limited to what little patch of earth we can hold. With that said. Here is the FIRST (prototype?) Ideas for battery design.

And the ability to replace power armor/robots and vehicles nuclear power supplies with a nuclear diamond battery 1/5th the size but with the same life span and output.

I may decide to bump those numbers up, however even with these number it "could" potentially change the game on a "minor" level. But give earth an edge in building light but powerful and more durable power equipment.

Rifts Earth resources do not seam that limited they have way more than the people need. And as I understand it at one point PB said underground rifts can deposit more resources. Earth is already on the map as a dimentional nexus.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:First I would begin with using what's easily available. Used up nuclear generators on earth.

Then once talons reach has its reserves then mass marketing begins I would provide adventurers the service to "convert" their waste into batteries for a fee.

Sounds like a great way to bring the full weight of the CS against you.

Some one is collecting processed nuclear wast. Oh no that can be used to make Nuclear bombs we better stop them.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:First I would begin with using what's easily available. Used up nuclear generators on earth.

Sounds like a great way to bring the full weight of the CS against you.

Some one is collecting processed nuclear wast. Oh no that can be used to make Nuclear bombs we better stop them.

Maybe. Not that the northwest co-op isn't a target anyway.

Just might move them up the hit list.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

PS there is at least 1 limitation is the fact that they "potentially " not be rechargeable. Leaving them as just common synthetic diamond. At GM's choice
Last edited by Hawk258 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:

Rifts Earth resources do not seam that limited they have way more than the people need. And as I understand it at one point PB said underground rifts can deposit more resources. Earth is already on the map as a dimentional nexus.

True, but we are also fighting for survival. From a player perspective the larger nation states control those resources.

And as a budding "nation" talons reach needs tools and resources. A majority of the which will be strictly for Talons reach and allied settlements and groups for defense.

So while the diamond battery may be BFG in capacity and recycled for armor, it does gives an edge for small settlements and adventurers the ability to have plenty of power for their energy weapons when access to charging may not be an option during an adventure.

I mean honestly I see it as an alternative that could benefit the players.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

True, but we are also fighting for survival. From a player perspective the larger nation states control those resources.

And as a budding "nation" talons reach needs tools and resources. A majority of the which will be strictly for Talons reach and allied settlements and groups for defense.

So while the diamond battery may be BFG in capacity and recycled for armor, it does gives an edge for small settlements and adventurers the ability to have plenty of power for their energy weapons when access to charging may not be an option during an adventure.

Where does it say those resource are controlled by larger nations. If you find resources outside of their territory it is up for grabs. It comes down to finding the resources, they are out there you just need to find them.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

Where does it say those resource are controlled by larger nations. If you find resources outside of their territory it is up for grabs. It comes down to finding the resources, they are out there you just need to find them.

As I stated "from a player perspective" as you are doing more fighting than finding, and if you are looking it is for someone else.

Add in books, education and more "skills" are controlled by the nations (CS mostly) so unless you have a character that happens to have deep pockets, access to a lost industrial (heavy) complex and the skills to utilize them and defend them. (Or attempt to) you are kind of SOL.

Point is that you have to do like my character is and build the resources, manpower, security, and technology and be able to fund it too.

Which is why The Northwest Co-op exists and is working towards supporting itself.

How long do you think the NWC will last if it doesn't develop it's own tech? Or some financial footing to acquire the equipment they might not be able to build?

This is also why I want a 5 year plan on the batteries.
NWC will need to funnel the Batteries into the mass market quietly and keep the maker Anonymous much like A.R.C.H.I.E. 3 has.

Any tech builder on his own is a threat or asset to any nation. And if you have to benefit a nation, why not one YOU build?

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Additionally... as I look at "black market" prices and other market prices, I find it hilarious that an e-clip nuclear charger that has 1d6+5 years is worth more (65 million) than a new "shadow boy" with a nuclear charger with 20 years life (12 million)

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Hell I might just sell batteries that are no bigger than a kids lunchbox set up just for e-clip charging instead.

Unlimited e-clip charging for 20 years.
250,000 credits each.

Or could be "modified" for 1 year vehicle/power armor use.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:

As I stated "from a player perspective" as you are doing more fighting than finding, and if you are looking it is for someone else.

Add in books, education and more "skills" are controlled by the nations (CS mostly) so unless you have a character that happens to have deep pockets, access to a lost industrial (heavy) complex and the skills to utilize them and defend them. (Or attempt to) you are kind of SOL.

Point is that you have to do like my character is and build the resources, manpower, security, and technology and be able to fund it too.

Which is why The Northwest Co-op exists and is working towards supporting itself.

How long do you think the NWC will last if it doesn't develop it's own tech? Or some financial footing to acquire the equipment they might not be able to build?

This is also why I want a 5 year plan on the batteries.
NWC will need to funnel the Batteries into the mass market quietly and keep the maker Anonymous much like A.R.C.H.I.E. 3 has.

Any tech builder on his own is a threat or asset to any nation. And if you have to benefit a nation, why not one YOU build?

Depends on the type of game.
I have played n and Gm groups that had the goal of finding resources.(ranging from players where patrons of a town, to getting rich, or building their own business.)

Players find lots of hidden chashes and resources and have varying degree of skill in harvesting.
So if the players had the goal of setting up a busines and have the right skills they could be mobile prospectors finding the resources to succeed becomes the goal and fighting is secondary to it. If all your games are about killing that is fine but there is more than one way to play the game.

I do know about tech builders. I acutally have house rules to cover a great deal tech building. I have ran quite a few tech-builder campaigns that the players did field testing of new gear, so that they can either sale the designs or get the resources to set up their own factories. I also ran a few CS D.R.A.T.(Department of Research and Advancement of Technology my CS version of DARPA) campaigns where players worked on new gear for CS consideration.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

You are a rare GM in my experience.

A majority already have plans of their own. And even if they don't mind you going off script, there is still a large chance you will die before level 5.

One of the reasons I can share these ideas is i found 1 good GM that let the players put their heads together

And why NWC exists.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:You are a rare GM in my experience.

A majority already have plans of their own. And even if they don't mind you going off script, there is still a large chance you will die before level 5.

One of the reasons I can share these ideas is i found 1 good GM that let the players put their heads together

And why NWC exists.

Well when my favorite OCC is a technowizard it does kind of mean I like toy building.
Some times I have an idea or mega plot in mind some times I let the players decide what they want to do.
After all a table top RPG is the ultimate open world game.

I have 2 home brewed weapon makers. 1 Skyhook is basically on old TW of mine that built merc focused gear, and managed to get a factory going so I use it in games, the other Crazy Hetz- often attached to a metta plot and has some stuff that gives PC night mares. (basically it is where most my more crazy ideas wind up like a claw that shoots jelly beans, or puke grenades.)

Although CS DRAT gear does get a little scary. A death head turned into a gunship(75 mm electro magnetic cannon, ion Vulcan cannons and rail guns-sure comes in handy in the minion wars), or a belt fed machine gun shooting rounds like those in a pump pistol with greater range. Heck even the jump jet spiderskull walker can be scary. (So I usually only use that stuff for CS players in a DRAT game.) maybe one day I will get around to posting all my homebrewed stuff.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

And that's pretty cool
As for my impressions of limited resources i had to look it up, but CW Heroes of Humanity page 67.

taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:[, or a belt fed machine gun shooting rounds like those in a pump pistol with greater range. .

Triax caught up to you there with the TX-17 Assault Rifle with 105-round drum, which I'd say is comparable to the Soviet RPK(AKM assault rifle rebarreled as an LMG), though the range still sucks compared to a .50 caliber machine gun firing heavy ramjet rounds, or, gods help you, if you used (or somebody else used on YOU) 7.62mm ramjet or explosive rounds with the actual range of something like an MG42(the bane of Allied troops in WW2 because of its insane rate of fire)....a lot more portable, with an estimated range of 10,000 ft(though Palladium tops off at 3,000 ft for range)....
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

taalismn wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:[, or a belt fed machine gun shooting rounds like those in a pump pistol with greater range. .

Triax caught up to you there with the TX-17 Assault Rifle with 105-round drum, which I'd say is comparable to the Soviet RPK(AKM assault rifle rebarreled as an LMG), though the range still sucks compared to a .50 caliber machine gun firing heavy ramjet rounds, or, gods help you, if you used (or somebody else used on YOU) 7.62mm ramjet or explosive rounds with the actual range of something like an MG42(the bane of Allied troops in WW2 because of its insane rate of fire)....a lot more portable, with an estimated range of 10,000 ft(though Palladium tops off at 3,000 ft for range)....

You know... call me a Munchkin, but why hasn't any on cast dimensional pocket on belt fed ammo box? Just a thought?

Blue_Lion
Knight

Hawk258 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

You know... call me a Munchkin, but why hasn't any on cast dimensional pocket on belt fed ammo box? Just a thought?

Because CS and Traix do not have allot of mages.
I redid most the gear on the book, to a my format because it the type of item set the power level. This changed the base power level but then also created. I wanted CS to seam to have a technical advantage in there prototypes so some of there gear is on the high side.

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Because CS and Traix do not have allot of mages.
I redid most the gear on the book, to a my format because it the type of item set the power level. This changed the base power level but then also created. I wanted CS to seam to have a technical advantage in there prototypes so some of there gear is on the high side.

Awe

Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

As I go through many of the various books (HU vs Rifts) I do find that battery technology hasn't "vastly" changed. While the weapons and explosives have become 100 times more powerful (or Efficient) an energy weapons still has the same power needs/battery capacity, robots and power armor still need large amounts of power.

My "guess" is while energy weapon tech improved from "SDC" to "MDC", it still uses the same amount of electricity.

Chemical improvements for explosives improved on the same scale.

So my "proposed" diamond battery should be at least able to be 10 to 100 times smaller or with 10 to 100 times higher capacity.

While in theory it unbalanced the game, it actually makes the game easier as I am sure making sure a player is honest about reloading and recharging can be taxing to a game.

I "do" think that a character should invest in making sure they have fresh e-clips and batteries at the start of an adventure. This insures that the resources are there and an investment made.

So for common e-clips I would go 10x capacity
At 5x standard e-clip cost (if not rechargable)
10x (if rechargeable) recharge cost 10x standard.

Power armor/robot/vehicle/exo-frame/force field/exc batteries come in 2 flavors 10x smaller same power
Or same size 10x more power.
Prices and services should be proportional to power.
If smaller same cost as standard.
If more capacity 10x cost.

For portable power options a 6 inch x 10 inch by 10 inch 10 lb. 20 MDC battery can be bought for 100,000 credits.
20 year life. NOT RECHARGABLE!!!

Optional Armor case 10,000 credits

Optional 5 port e-clip charger, standard plug ins, and vehicle/armor/force field/jet pack adapters, weapon adapters 12,000 credits each can only use 1 adapter at a time.

Make all credits payable to
Talontech enterprises
PO Box 550
MercTown

taalismn
Priest

Hawk258 wrote:[

It's thoughts like that that make TechnoWizards so freakin' awesome, in spite of their direct spell casting limitations.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

taalismn wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:[

It's thoughts like that that make TechnoWizards so freakin' awesome, in spite of their direct spell casting limitations.

Especially since only a TW could pull this off.
A regular caster would simply have an ammo box that is bigger on the inside...
...that only a psychic or dimensional caster can reach into and find things.
The spell is pretty explicit on who can use the pouch... and "firearms" are not on the list.
That and it only holds 30lbs, which isnt a lot of amunition considering that many of the ammo drums in the game are 200+ pounds...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Well a tw could load a weapon with dimensional pocket and let the weapon pull it out as it nothing says that another individual or item can't pull an item that is partially removed from the pocket. Just people can't put anything in or interact with the pocket itself. And specifically regarding belt fed weapons.
Last edited by Hawk258 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

In the campaign I played in one of my chars got a technological version of a portable hole because the GM wasn't paying attention.

my character had a modified monst rex, that had a storage compartment (was supposed to be approximately 12inches by 6 inches by 4 inches or so, well I was having my character stick stuff into it, while waiting for the GM to tell me it wouldn't fit.

when the GM finally noticed it was a problem was a number of sessions later when I pulled some money out 50,000 credits (Besbin) which were these small square gold (or alloy) coins, that there was no way they would have fit, but on my character sheet I had noted that what was in the compartment was:
the survival backpack from rifts mercs, several guns, ammo, the 50,000 credits, several sets of clothing (and on and on)

well the gm ran with it, and so effectively the char had a storage compartment that was bigger on the inside than it was on the outside.
later the character, got essentially Washu's lab from the anime Tenshi Moyu, and the monst rex (npc sidekick character) kept the original storage compartment, but it got linked to the labs dimensional space. the last time we noted the actual size of the storage space it was roughly the size of the solar system (out to the oort cloud) and the character had 1 "portable" door, that would open into the lab and anchor it, but when inside the lab, the character could open up additional doors. such as a door into a Mecha Gantry roughly 15-20 meters high, and another into a spacedock, with the door being big enough for a star destroyer to fit through.

the character also made a weapon, that incorporated its own extra dimensional space, that was built into a Shemarian rail gun (the origional version) that when they went to fire, the end of the barrel opened up, because inside the weapon casing (and the dimensional space) was a syncro cannon (from robotech the sentinels (and invid invasion) that could fire 2x/melee.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

guardiandashi wrote:In the campaign I played in one of my chars got a technological version of a portable hole because the GM wasn't paying attention.

my character had a modified monst rex, that had a storage compartment (was supposed to be approximately 12inches by 6 inches by 4 inches or so, well I was having my character stick stuff into it, while waiting for the GM to tell me it wouldn't fit.

when the GM finally noticed it was a problem was a number of sessions later when I pulled some money out 50,000 credits (Besbin) which were these small square gold (or alloy) coins, that there was no way they would have fit, but on my character sheet I had noted that what was in the compartment was:
the survival backpack from rifts mercs, several guns, ammo, the 50,000 credits, several sets of clothing (and on and on)

well the gm ran with it, and so effectively the char had a storage compartment that was bigger on the inside than it was on the outside.
later the character, got essentially Washu's lab from the anime Tenshi Moyu, and the monst rex (npc sidekick character) kept the original storage compartment, but it got linked to the labs dimensional space. the last time we noted the actual size of the storage space it was roughly the size of the solar system (out to the oort cloud) and the character had 1 "portable" door, that would open into the lab and anchor it, but when inside the lab, the character could open up additional doors. such as a door into a Mecha Gantry roughly 15-20 meters high, and another into a spacedock, with the door being big enough for a star destroyer to fit through.

the character also made a weapon, that incorporated its own extra dimensional space, that was built into a Shemarian rail gun (the origional version) that when they went to fire, the end of the barrel opened up, because inside the weapon casing (and the dimensional space) was a syncro cannon (from robotech the sentinels (and invid invasion) that could fire 2x/melee.

That's what you call a tesseract space

Return to “Rifts®”