Taking SDC damage while in MDC armor

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

jburkett
Wanderer

Taking SDC damage while in MDC armor

Unread post by jburkett »

Hello, I believe there are rules for characters taking SDC damage while in MDC body armor and power armor from falls and perhaps impact (?) but are their rules for taking SDC damage from other kinds of situations. For example, a particularly concussive blast over a certain amount of MDC damage? Do any of you have house rules for this? Thanks!
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Taking SDC damage while in MDC armor

Unread post by The Beast »

Yes there are/were rules for that.

RMB, page 12:

Fall: 1 point of damage for every 10 ft of height.
Crash: 1d4 points for every 10 mph over 30 mph.
Explosion impact: 1 point for every 10 MD from an explosion.

I currently don't know how much of that carried over in RUE, so I'll look through it and pass on the page numbers if I find any.
The Beast

Okay, on page 356 of the RUE it was changed from 10 to 20. So change the 10's to 20's, and change the 30 mph to 50 mph and you're up-to-date.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Iirc RUE has optional rules for through armor damage from regular combat damage
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
jburkett
Wanderer

Unread post by jburkett »

Okay, thanks! RUE pg 356 has what I'm looking for. The only remaining question I have is if folks think that a charge and ram attack would fall under the "high speed crash" rules or would it make more sense to use the "Impact from explosion" rules? The reason I might choose the latter is because you don't always know how fast the Devil Unicorn is moving when it hits you with a "power strike" (1D4 x 10 M.D.). Thanks!
The Beast

jburkett wrote:Okay, thanks! RUE pg 356 has what I'm looking for. The only remaining question I have is if folks think that a charge and ram attack would fall under the "high speed crash" rules or would it make more sense to use the "Impact from explosion" rules? The reason I might choose the latter is because you don't always know how fast the Devil Unicorn is moving when it hits you with a "power strike" (1D4 x 10 M.D.). Thanks!

I'd only use the crash rules if there's a vehicle being used to hit the target. Power strike's I'd use the impact rule.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

jburkett wrote:Hello, I believe there are rules for characters taking SDC damage while in MDC body armor and power armor from falls and perhaps impact (?) but are their rules for taking SDC damage from other kinds of situations. For example, a particularly concussive blast over a certain amount of MDC damage? Do any of you have house rules for this? Thanks!

Some magic spells can penetrate armor (body armor and light power armor) and railguns.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

The Beast wrote:
jburkett wrote:Okay, thanks! RUE pg 356 has what I'm looking for. The only remaining question I have is if folks think that a charge and ram attack would fall under the "high speed crash" rules or would it make more sense to use the "Impact from explosion" rules? The reason I might choose the latter is because you don't always know how fast the Devil Unicorn is moving when it hits you with a "power strike" (1D4 x 10 M.D.). Thanks!

I'd only use the crash rules if there's a vehicle being used to hit the target. Power strike's I'd use the impact rule.

If it's something as fast and heavy as a vehicle, I could see using the same tables, if it was moving full-tilt at the time.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that in most cases it wont do anything.
This is because MDC body armor is able to shrug off a lot of damage due to the handwavium properties of MDC armor.
This is made especially apparent in that MDC armor is able to keep dinosaur hunters alive and well hunting dinosaurs.

If something does a "ram" though... the speed is easy. Convert its SPD stat to MPH and thats how fast it can run to hit you :)
That said, I would reserve that for big creatures that way several tons.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i'd honestly treat rams/charges as "impact from explosion".. because it is just another type of broad surface impact, and doing it that way means you only have to worry about the damage dealt, without having to figure out all the math to convert the animal's SPD stat into running speed in MPH and such.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

The Beast wrote:Okay, on page 356 of the RUE it was changed from 10 to 20. So change the 10's to 20's, and change the 30 mph to 50 mph and you're up-to-date.

I found the change strange, was minor damage really that big a problem? Top-line body armor like the CS went from 80 to 120 from RMB to CWC so you're still only looking at 8-12 SDC which the 1D4x10 from Men at Arms OCCs could easily absorb, especilaly when tacking on physical skills.

The time it would take to heal that would probably be the amount of time it would take you to get a fresh suit of armor.
Levi
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Location: Lost in a dream world with the occasional nightmare of what might be reality.

Unread post by Levi »

In Rifter #30 the "A cut Above" article has optional rules for pass through from combat while in M.D.C. armor. Among a few other things.
As a man's shadow follows his footsteps wherever he goes, so will destruction pursue those who commit evil deeds.
Blackwater Sniper
Explorer
Comment: The only bad character is the one you didn't put on paper.

Unread post by Blackwater Sniper »

Do different models of armor negate any damage more than just having a higher MDC rating?

If I were piloting a suit of power armor I think there would be less internal damage taken than those people in a wheeled transport.
So what if I don’t know what apocalypse means? It’s not the end of the world!

Return to “Rifts®”