New Sovietski cities?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PaganDesparu
D-Bee

New Sovietski cities?

Unread post by PaganDesparu »

I love the new Sovietski book, it came at the perfect time for my Russia campaign. However, the one thing it's lacking is one of my favorite features: a map! The description of the other cities are well thought out, but are actually quite vague on their location. Has anyone figured out where the cities are, or have made a map of them?
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: New Sovietski cities?

Unread post by Natasha »

If they say what ruins they were built on or/and are real city names, I could help.
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

There's a map on pg 20 of Warlords of Russia. It's in what looks to me like a particularly skewed Cassini projection, though, so that's fun?

New Leningrad is mentioned as being largely on top of St. Petersburg's ruins, on an island at the mouth of the Lena(Neva) River. That would put it in on either the current Vasileostrovsky or Petrogradsky districts.

Kaliningrad looks to be in the same location.

I'm not having much luck with Kurlensk. At a current guess it's between the atomgrads Ozyorsk and Sarov, perhaps the closed town Zarechny.

The Volga Fortress is described as immediately SE of Nizhny Novgorod (the city, not the oblast) and around a hydroelectric station (presumably one newer than the Nizhny Novgorod Hydroelectric Station, which is 50m NE of the city).

Edit: typo
Last edited by Curbludgeon on Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

I'd expect anything named New St. Petersburg to be on the Neva River as the Lena River is in Siberia.

There is a village named Kurlan between Kazan and Samara, a bit E from Nizhnij Novgorod, on a Volga River tributary.
PaganDesparu
D-Bee

Unread post by PaganDesparu »

Thanks for the help! Yes, the map in warlords does a decent job showing their territory, as well as some (unlabeled) capital cities for their spheres.

The confusion started with the New Leningrad description, putting it firmly in Burgasov's sphere. I had been assuming all Sovietski cities we're in the unclaimed area around New Moscow.

I'll post the map I've put together so far, when I get back home.

*EDIT*

I can't seem to post images, so here's a link on google drive instead: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ALQvA3 ... sp=sharing
Alexisofme
Newb

Unread post by Alexisofme »

I was in Russia last year. You have a lot of places that can be found. I followed this route https://durchrussland.de/moskau-top-sehenswurdigkeiten/. I liked everything very much and I have already recommended visiting Moscow to my friends. They are frightened by a visa, but I explained that such companies help to make them fairly quickly and easily.

Return to “Rifts®”