Radio communication and rifts / laylines

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Radio communication and rifts / laylines

Unread post by Riftmaker »

Is there anything about leylines/rifts messing up long-range radio communications? I know theirs something about that in savage rifts and I know its something I always assumed in regular rifts but I can't recall what put the idea in my head.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Radio communication and rifts / laylines

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

not that i've ever been able to find. it is a popular fan assumption, but there hasn't been anything in the books regarding it.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I do remember reading something about ley lines producing all types of radiation including radio waves, but can't remember what book it was. If I recall right this was given as a reason for the reduced range of radios in rifts.

That said as this would be a constant interference it would be calculated in the ranges of long range radios. It would take something unusal like a ley line storm to reduce the range.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

There is some stuff in BTS about power triads messing with electronics, but I don't recall anything specifically stating ley lines hamper radio signals.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The only thing I am aware of is that one of the results on one of the Ley Line Storm tables has "electronic interference" or suchlike and it reduces range on radios/sensors and imposes penalties and stuff.
As for "in general" I have heard it bandied around a lot and from what I can tell it sources back to a Q&A type question, possibly at the first Open House. Basically...some unofficial statements that "well Ley Lines and 'stuff' are why it is so dangerous to travel/no long distance communications and that's why its all mad max even with 500MPH aircraft"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

In my games we say they have no effect except to boost the range of techno-wizard communications.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.

Return to “Rifts®”