Lvl 15 (ish) character... Anyone got one?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Lvl 15 (ish) character... Anyone got one?

Unread post by keir451 »

Ok, so I've been spamming the series Overlordand it got me thinking about that seemingly rare creature the 20th level character in Rifts.
I, personally, have never had a campaign last long enough to get a character to 15th level (not that I've ever needed to as I've had plenty of fun just running in the various campaigns) and, let's be honest here, ANY Rifts character is more than capable of taking down just about anything. Anyway I'm just curious, feel free to share your stories! :)
Last edited by keir451 on Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Re: Lvl 20 cahracter... Anyone got one?

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

Something must have changed. I thought levels didnt go past 15?! Granted I havent bought a palladium book since dead reign... 20?
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Vincent Takeda wrote:Something must have changed. I thought levels didnt go past 15?! Granted I havent bought a palladium book since dead reign... 20?

:oops: Yep, you're right 15 is the level cap. Too much D&D on the brain. Still the principle applies, has anyone ever had a character achieve max level in Rifts?
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

I don't have a level 15 character, but I DO have a level 12 character that I played for over 8 years including ~3-5 years of at least 3-5 days a week sessions
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I ran a group of 5 players from High school in 1990 on and off until 2012. They started at level 1 and even fighting the Four Horsemen, Mechanoids, Tolkeen War they never made level 15. Now one was a hatchling Dragon and he barely made level 10 but the others (a GB, CK, HH) only made level 12 or so.

Most campaigns I start players at level 3 and most of them only make level 6 to 8 before we quit.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

keir451 wrote:Ok, so I've been spamming the series Overlordand it got me thinking about that seemingly rare creature the 20th level character in Rifts.
I, personally, have never had a campaign last long enough to get a character to 20th level (not that I've ever needed to as I've had plenty of fun just running in the various campaigns) and, let's be honest here, ANY Rifts character is more than capable of taking down just about anything. Anyway I'm just curious, fell free to share your stories! :)

In play no, I think the highest PB character we've gotten to is like Level 6-ish.

keir451 wrote:
Vincent Takeda wrote:Something must have changed. I thought levels didnt go past 15?! Granted I havent bought a palladium book since dead reign... 20?

:oops: Yep, you're right 15 is the level cap. Too much D&D on the brain. Still the principle applies, has anyone ever had a character achieve max level in Rifts?

Level 15 really is not the limit, there are a few examples that involve levels beyond 15 (Dragon HTH and the Demon-Dragon-mage are examples I can think of), but when you stop to extrapolate out the XP table requirement it probably does become something of a limit. Another way to get around it is going the multi-classing route you can get a character level beyond 15 in total.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

ShadowLogan wrote:
keir451 wrote:

Level 15 really is not the limit, there are a few examples that involve levels beyond 15 (Dragon HTH and the Demon-Dragon-mage are examples I can think of), but when you stop to extrapolate out the XP table requirement it probably does become something of a limit. Another way to get around it is going the multi-classing route you can get a character level beyond 15 in total.

I didn't think about it in those terms. I have had players who were level 10 in the primary OCC and level 6 or so in the secondary so I guess that way they made it past 15 levels even if they never got to level 15.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

I've never personally maxed out a character. In fact the only time we played a high level campaign was when we started with high level PC's. And now I forget why we did that.
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
DhAkael
Knight

Unread post by DhAkael »

Technically; two of the players in my campaign who have been with me since like... 2006, 2007 (?) have managed to accrue enough experience to actually reach level 17 (using the ExP progression), but since I do allow for multi-classing they only have about level 11 as the maximum.
Also, one of the character's has died twice (and been successfully resurrected) so each time 'Smiling Jack' reached out to touch them they had to start from ZERO. By all rights, THAT P.C. should be like level 18 or 19 equivalent... but the dyce-bawt plays no favourites and has no mercy ;-)
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

I definitely have at least 2 characters at level 15. Easy to do when you've been runnin them for over a decade. Particularly easier when the characters are indeed doing heroic things. The trick is surviving that long.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

keir451 wrote:

For most mortal races the cap is 15 however a few rare race/class combos can reach level 30. The only one that comes to mind is adult and ancient dragons. They can level up past the typical level cap as an exception to rules.

I have had a charter reach max level a few times. Typically they happen during deployment campaign.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

ShadowLogan wrote:
keir451 wrote:Ok, so I've been spamming the series Overlordand it got me thinking about that seemingly rare creature the 20th level character in Rifts.
I, personally, have never had a campaign last long enough to get a character to 20th level (not that I've ever needed to as I've had plenty of fun just running in the various campaigns) and, let's be honest here, ANY Rifts character is more than capable of taking down just about anything. Anyway I'm just curious, fell free to share your stories! :)

In play no, I think the highest PB character we've gotten to is like Level 6-ish.

keir451 wrote:

Nice theory but as no other HTH goes beyond level 15 that does indicate you are siting exceptions to the rule. The acceptation being ancient dragons are listed as going up to level 26 as ancient dragons. (see page 310 of GMG) They are special in that they have a table beyond level 15. (I want to say it is one of the sot where they state the acceptation but not sure what book it is.) If every class could keep leveling why did dragons get a special higher level experience tables for them. If every one could go as high then that makes no sense.

Given that only hand to hand that goes past level 15 is dragon and the special level tables beyond 16 indicate a high probability of something special.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
keir451
Champion

Unread post by keir451 »

Interesting points everyone. I see we've a couple that have made to "The Top", and I recognize that playing long enough is a key factor (as well as the way the XP system is designed).
I'm curious how "powerful/tough" those few PC's were that actually made level 15 were? I know that it's hard to quantify as Rifts PC's are pretty powerful to begin with (at times) but a level 15 anything in Rifts has to be a seriously tough nut to crack.
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Lvl 15 (ish) character... Anyone got one?

For me there are certain style elements that I consider critical to long term survivability. Both of the characters that I have that have survived to top tier are built around a foundation of healing and repair, being careful not to put themselves into situations where escape would be difficult. I suppose its important to note that these are heroes unlimited characters and not rifts characters... but surviving a long time means playing a bit defensive. Plenty of mutations that help survivability. I'd be less confident that a coalition pilot or vagabond could make it to 15. Knowing when to run away. Not having a gm that likes to alpha strike assassinate his players. Lots of important pieces to the puzzle of the long game.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Ehh. Let's see. Only character I got from 1-15 was Alrik. He was revised a few times, as he's existed for about...uh...20+ years now. Technically he's past 15, but most of the exp i got up to 12th lvl was all on the old Palladium chat rooms, playing in 1 shots that rarely got to the climax, or campaigns that rarely got beyond adventure 3. Though I did play him in some regular campaigns for local tabletop.

Samurai 3/Paratrooper 12/Super Spy (psionics) 9

It was a lot of exp, to say the least. A lot of revisions too, as you come to better understand the rules of this game, or as the rules themselves keep changing.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Blue_Lion
Knight

keir451 wrote:Interesting points everyone. I see we've a couple that have made to "The Top", and I recognize that playing long enough is a key factor (as well as the way the XP system is designed).
I'm curious how "powerful/tough" those few PC's were that actually made level 15 were? I know that it's hard to quantify as Rifts PC's are pretty powerful to begin with (at times) but a level 15 anything in Rifts has to be a seriously tough nut to crack.

Depends on the type of charter in my experince. Many pure combat charters are on the low end of power growth curve. The strongest charter I ever have make it to the top was a charter that started as an alchemest imortal in a mediviel mystic martial artist world. The way the story worked we spent decades at a time between main story arcs training in new martial arts. By the time the party hit the level 15 they knew every martial art and technic and the GM ruled that they where all at max level. Each member of that group could single handly take down a AI.

Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler

As for how these two managed to survive so long, its definitely a combination of my defensive build and the characters defensive nature.

Both of my longest running characters include long lifespans, massive chi to handle chiatsu healing (1152 chi points with chi overcharge), and both have aps light, so they can both outrun a cosmoknight in-atmosphere (not that either of them has ever been to rifts earth) and both of them have fantastic stealth and espionage powers, so finding them when they dont wanna be found, escaping faster than they can be pursued and monstrous healing capabilities is how they've lasted so long. Their primary roles are stealth/infiltration, medical extraction and machine shop team, not front line 'gunz blazin till everyone's dead'. In terms of outbound raw damage, they're not too shabby with the aps light's d4*10+30 photon beam at 2500 feet beats most other ranged weaponry... so sniper tactics can be an option... only 95 sdc though so it wouldnt take much at all to drop them if they werent semi intangible from aps light. Heat fire cold plasma magic and psionics are the things that get through, and are a bit less common to come by outside of rifts.

Lots of other mutations could have made them better front line combat survival types, but that wasnt really what i was going for and she was alone when I started with her. Only reason he even exists is because of a somewhat antagonistic dm trying to kill her outright going very very wrong. Now there's two of them. I'll have to dig up their sheets to get a full rundown of all the vastly different campaigns they've been through. From yearlong sweeps to one shots, there's been a metric ton of shifts in both theme and location for these two.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

keir451 wrote:

Nice theory but as no other HTH goes beyond level 15 that does indicate you are siting exceptions to the rule. The acceptation being ancient dragons are listed as going up to level 26 as ancient dragons. (see page 310 of GMG) They are special in that they have a table beyond level 15. (I want to say it is one of the sot where they state the acceptation but not sure what book it is.) If every class could keep leveling why did dragons get a special higher level experience tables for them. If every one could go as high then that makes no sense.

Given that only hand to hand that goes past level 15 is dragon and the special level tables beyond 16 indicate a high probability of something special.

Secrets of the Atlantians has blanket rules for leveling past 15 (it is tucked into a mention about the long lifespan of the Atlantians, but it doesn't say its racial, just tells us how XP costs increase)
THAT said, I believe the books state clearly that player characters can not pass 15... making 16+ NPC only abilities.

Also, simply because the H2H tables don't extend means nothing... we have NPCs that have surpassed 15 and they have regular H2H skills...
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:
ShadowLogan wrote:

keir451 wrote:

Secrets of the Atlantians has blanket rules for leveling past 15 (it is tucked into a mention about the long lifespan of the Atlantians, but it doesn't say its racial, just tells us how XP costs increase)
THAT said, I believe the books state clearly that player characters can not pass 15... making 16+ NPC only abilities.

Also, simply because the H2H tables don't extend means nothing... we have NPCs that have surpassed 15 and they have regular H2H skills...

Do not have secrets of Atlantiians so did not know about that. But as I said high probability it is something special still holds true. In fact what you just posted supports my statement, that the theory that people most people can level past 15, and the ones that do so are special.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Nice theory but as no other HTH goes beyond level 15 that does indicate you are siting exceptions to the rule. The acceptation being ancient dragons are listed as going up to level 26 as ancient dragons. (see page 310 of GMG) They are special in that they have a table beyond level 15. (I want to say it is one of the sot where they state the acceptation but not sure what book it is.) If every class could keep leveling why did dragons get a special higher level experience tables for them. If every one could go as high then that makes no sense.

Do not have secrets of Atlantiians so did not know about that. But as I said high probability it is something special still holds true. In fact what you just posted supports my statement, that the theory that people most people can level past 15, and the ones that do so are special.

Yep. NPCs can hit 16+. PCs... not so much.
Basically its a way to make NPCs as arbitrarily powerful as the plot requires with out requiring that PCs be able to advance indefinitely (which can quickly break the curves the game runs on anyway)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®”