Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®

 


Post new topic Reply to topic
Author Message
Unread postPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:14 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 2570
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Elthbert wrote:
These are amazing. I know it has been about 8 months since you posted here but I really hope you continue the project.


Thanks! I intend to. This is a slow-burn project that I pick up from time to time when I'm not working on others. I've got two big Palladium-related projects that have sucked up a lot of my hobby time since I last posted here.

I started work on The Ley Line Walker N.P.C. generator last fall, and I was working on a way to condense down all the spell information into something easy to use and manageable on a single sheet, because frankly the spell list seems big, complicated, and very poorly-organized, and I thought it would be hard to keep all the options straight for a random disposable N.P.C. (I know it is for me as a GM).

When I shared this idea on the board, I found little enthusiasm for it and a great deal of skepticism about its worth. Several posters criticized me for not knowing the spells in the game cold. I found myself in the odd position of defending an idea that I had thought wouldn't be remotely controversial, which made me think that I ought to step back for a while and come back later with a fresh perspective. Thus, I haven't touched the Ley Line Walker NPC generator since late last year. I may pick it back up again later, but for now, other projects have my attention.

I have made some more N.P.C. generators for Palladium Fantasy for one of the other projects I'm working on, and I'm certainly open to making more for Rifts. If you've got a generic O.C.C. or R.C.C. that you'd like to see a generator for, let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:53 pm
  

User avatar
Explorer

Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:01 am
Posts: 185
Location: Fallon, NV
These are awesome!! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Some Robot/Power Armor Pilots would be great for a future one.

_________________
"Hurry, were running out of time!"

"Cannot run out of time. There is infinite time. You are finite; Zathras is finite; This....is wrong tool.

Susan Ivonnova and Zathras, Babylon 5 'War Without End'


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:35 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 2570
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Devjannz wrote:
These are awesome!! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Some Robot/Power Armor Pilots would be great for a future one.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.
The tricky thing about RPA pilots is that, by themselves, they are incomplete; you need the stats of the robot or power armor to really make them work. Is including MDC by location, speed, weapon damage/range/ammo/rate of fire and all that kosher to put on a publicly-shared file? I'm not sure. That said, I've kind of already done that with these generators with things like weapons and such. I'll think on it.

In the meantime...

Update: I've drafted an NPC Spell Selector tool. It has all 158 RUE spells on it sorted into nine functional categories:
1. Disable
2. Attack
3. Protect
4. Empower
5. Heal
6. Move
7. Communicate
8. Spy/Evade
9. Miscellaneous

Within each category, spells are sorted according to how long each takes to cast (1, 2, or 3 actions, or ritual), and then by level/alphabet. This sheet includes the name, PPE cost, effect/damage, duration, and range of every spell in RUE. It does not include the text or spell-specific rules. The first page is focused on combat spells and includes the first four categories. Everything else is on the second page.

Due to the amount of published information included in this, I may have to share a redacted version that doesn't include all the information (or leaves blank spaces for the user to fill in) or just see if Palladium is willing to publish it as a digital product. Either way, I think that, with this tool, I could make an NPC generator for a magic user. that would be useful for GMs.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:23 am
  

User avatar
D-Bee

Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:25 pm
Posts: 1
Location: South Australia
Just wanted to say thanks for the creation of these NPC generators.

I've been playing RPG's since the year dot, but Rifts (and Chaos Earth) is something I've only recently taken up.
One of the first things that I noticed was the enormous time sink that NPC creation becomes when writing games - that's not a big thing of itself, but when you're relatively new to the game system, it often does mean the difference between using it, or falling back on a game you already know how to streamline.

So, again - thanks for the effort. Greatly appreciated.


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:46 pm
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 2570
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
Ganelon wrote:
Just wanted to say thanks for the creation of these NPC generators.

I've been playing RPG's since the year dot, but Rifts (and Chaos Earth) is something I've only recently taken up.
One of the first things that I noticed was the enormous time sink that NPC creation becomes when writing games - that's not a big thing of itself, but when you're relatively new to the game system, it often does mean the difference between using it, or falling back on a game you already know how to streamline.

So, again - thanks for the effort. Greatly appreciated.


Welcome to the boards, and I'm glad these are helpful to you. I'll be making some more of these (got a few other irons in the fire right now, but I might knock out one or two simpler ones like City Rats or Vagabonds.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:48 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 4187
Hotrod wrote:
Devjannz wrote:
These are awesome!! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Some Robot/Power Armor Pilots would be great for a future one.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.
The tricky thing about RPA pilots is that, by themselves, they are incomplete; you need the stats of the robot or power armor to really make them work. Is including MDC by location, speed, weapon damage/range/ammo/rate of fire and all that kosher to put on a publicly-shared file? I'm not sure. That said, I've kind of already done that with these generators with things like weapons and such. I'll think on it.


As for the issue of RPA pilots, you could always go the route of what the GM Guide did and only have the most crucial information readily available with book and page references for full stats. If you can manage to fit all of the necessary character information on the front page, you could utilize the back page to list several of the more common robot vehicles and power armors.

_________________
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:41 am
  

User avatar
Champion

Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2001 1:01 am
Posts: 2570
Location: Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy
dragonfett wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Devjannz wrote:
These are awesome!! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Some Robot/Power Armor Pilots would be great for a future one.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.
The tricky thing about RPA pilots is that, by themselves, they are incomplete; you need the stats of the robot or power armor to really make them work. Is including MDC by location, speed, weapon damage/range/ammo/rate of fire and all that kosher to put on a publicly-shared file? I'm not sure. That said, I've kind of already done that with these generators with things like weapons and such. I'll think on it.


As for the issue of RPA pilots, you could always go the route of what the GM Guide did and only have the most crucial information readily available with book and page references for full stats. If you can manage to fit all of the necessary character information on the front page, you could utilize the back page to list several of the more common robot vehicles and power armors.


That's possible, but even the GM Guide is a published book, and I want to respect Palladium's copyright. That said, perhaps I could strip the stats down to the bare minimum... I'll think about that.

_________________
Hotrod
Bizantium and the Northern Isles, p65 map
Arenas of Atlantis, Rifter 69
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 pm
  

User avatar
Knight

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 4187
Hotrod wrote:
dragonfett wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Devjannz wrote:
These are awesome!! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Some Robot/Power Armor Pilots would be great for a future one.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.
The tricky thing about RPA pilots is that, by themselves, they are incomplete; you need the stats of the robot or power armor to really make them work. Is including MDC by location, speed, weapon damage/range/ammo/rate of fire and all that kosher to put on a publicly-shared file? I'm not sure. That said, I've kind of already done that with these generators with things like weapons and such. I'll think on it.


As for the issue of RPA pilots, you could always go the route of what the GM Guide did and only have the most crucial information readily available with book and page references for full stats. If you can manage to fit all of the necessary character information on the front page, you could utilize the back page to list several of the more common robot vehicles and power armors.


That's possible, but even the GM Guide is a published book, and I want to respect Palladium's copyright. That said, perhaps I could strip the stats down to the bare minimum... I'll think about that.


Technically speaking, you have already done that by including weapon damages and body armor for all of the other sheets. Robots and Power Armor just happen to be really big armors with built in weapons.

_________________
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown


          Top  
 
Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:06 am
  

User avatar
Megaversal® Ambassador

Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 1515
Location: Houston, TX
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "
dragonfett wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
dragonfett wrote:
Hotrod wrote:
Devjannz wrote:
These are awesome!! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Some Robot/Power Armor Pilots would be great for a future one.

Thanks! I'm glad you like them.
The tricky thing about RPA pilots is that, by themselves, they are incomplete; you need the stats of the robot or power armor to really make them work. Is including MDC by location, speed, weapon damage/range/ammo/rate of fire and all that kosher to put on a publicly-shared file? I'm not sure. That said, I've kind of already done that with these generators with things like weapons and such. I'll think on it.


As for the issue of RPA pilots, you could always go the route of what the GM Guide did and only have the most crucial information readily available with book and page references for full stats. If you can manage to fit all of the necessary character information on the front page, you could utilize the back page to list several of the more common robot vehicles and power armors.


That's possible, but even the GM Guide is a published book, and I want to respect Palladium's copyright. That said, perhaps I could strip the stats down to the bare minimum... I'll think about that.


Technically speaking, you have already done that by including weapon damages and body armor for all of the other sheets. Robots and Power Armor just happen to be really big armors with built in weapons.

I think that as long as you don't include any artwork or descriptive text then you will be OK and I would limit the MDC by location to just the most important parts.

_________________
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider - WB 32: Lemuria
Ultimate Insider - WB 33: Northern Gun 1
Ultimate Insider - WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer - Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider - Rifts Bestiary: Volume 1


          Top  
 
 
Post new topic Reply to topic



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group