Gerneral Rifts Question: Biggest Perceived Weaknesses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Gerneral Rifts Question: Biggest Perceived Weaknesses

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

There's that too. Or, you could just take the half and shoot back to try and force your enemy to dodge instead. It depends on how much armor you've got left, i suppose.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Gerneral Rifts Question: Biggest Perceived Weaknesses

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

kaid wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
PSI-Lence wrote:i didn't remember simultaneous strike working outside of melee range, but it also never really came up not many characters want to take MD straight damage if they can avoid it, especially a borg that takes too much and dies, unlike PA pilot who loses the armor but not his nessisarily his life

Simultaneous Attack is never restricted to melee range.
Whether or not it's a good idea to simultaneously attack depends on the circumstances.

With the GB vs Juicer argument, the pro-Juicer camp was of the opinion that a Juicer's auto-dodge would make it effectively untouchable in combat.
Even skipping over the "you CAN fail to dodge" aspect of that plan, Simultaneous Attack negates dodging.
If a person DID find themselves facing an opponent with auto-dodge, who was so much better at dodging than you were at striking, it would often be wiser to take the hit from a simo-attack in exchange for the ability to hurt the enemy rather than be slowly gut to pieces.

personally i have always really liked the system

Me too.
There are a lot of things that I dislike about the system, though, a lot of flies in the ointment.
But the ointment is pretty good.

Well in looking at all the rules I could find over the weekend I really cannot find any references to simultaneous attacks being used in ranged attacks.

The issue is if it is EVER restricted to melee attacks.
It isn't.
And since it's never specifically restricted to melee attacks, it applies to ranged attacks as well.

Simultaneous Attack is defined in RUE under the heading of "Combat Terms & Moves."
That section includes both ranged and melee terms and moves.

RUE 347
Simultaneous Attack: Instead of defending with a parry, dodge or entangle, a character can choose to do a simultaneous attack.
You can choose to simo-attack instead of dodging.
You can dodge in ranged combat.
You can choose to simo-attack in ranged combat.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!

Return to “Rifts®”