Skill idea

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

darkguyver
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have writing disability so if need me retype please let me known thank for read and posting please be respectful

Skill idea

Unread post by darkguyver »

parkour or free running as skill set
Image/Image

Megaversal Ambassador®
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Skill idea

Unread post by Shark_Force »

basically a combination of running, acrobatics/gymnastics, and athletics.
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

Off the Top of my head,

Parkour/ Free Running

Sense of Balance 64% +4%/Level
Climb +10%, or Base Skill 40%
+1D4 Leap Distance
+2 Roll with Fall/Impact
+2 P.E., +1 P.P., +2D4 Speed, and +2D4 S.D.C.

Note: Many Parkour/Free Running practitioners will also have Gymnastics and/or Acrobatics skills as well.

Anybody ever try to work out a "Brainwashing Techniques" skill? I've been thinking about doing one lately.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I did this one several years ago:

Free Running.
A form of urban acrobatics in which participants, known as free runners, use the city and rural landscape to perform movements through its structures. It incorporates efficient movements and adds aesthetic vaults and other acrobatics, such as tricking and street stunts, creating an athletic and aesthetically pleasing way of moving. It is commonly practiced at gymnasiums and in urban areas that are cluttered with obstacles. This skill cannot be taken as a secondary skill. Skills Required: must have the Climb skill.
Provides all of the following:
Sense of Balance (55% + 5% per level)
Vaulting (50% + 4% per level)
Flips (60% + 3% per level)
Leaps/Jumps Including Tic Tacs (35% + 5% per level)
Basic Climb ability (+10% to the Climbing Skill)
Basic Prowl ability (35% or add +5% to the Prowl Skill)
Bonuses: +1 to PS, +2 to PP, +1 to PE, +1D4 to Spd, +2D4 SDC, +1 bonus to Roll with Fall or Impact, +1 bonus to Dodge, and no fear of heights.

Note: If the new jumping rules are used, increase vertical jump by 1 inch per PS point, and horizontal jump by 2 inches per PS point.
Anyone taking Acrobatics or Gymnastics cannot take this skill, with a few exceptions (Juicers, Physical Training class [from HU2], and similarly physically focused classes).
Should a class prohibit a player from taking Acrobatics or Gymnastics GMs should be cautious about allowing those classes to take this skill.

The referenced jumping rules are here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132122

As for Parkour, I see that more as a Martial Arts Form, but have not given it a go.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

darkguyver wrote:parkour or free running as skill set

I actually made one for my players.

The Parkour Skill requires Gymnastics or Acrobatics as a prerequisite and allows a player to move over and around obstacles with minimal loss of speed, drop long distances, jump farther and higher, climb quickly up vertical surfaces, negating a body flip/knockback/knockdown by landing on one's feet and other feats of agility by simply by succeeding at a Balance skill check.

Basically, I boiled almost all acrobatic maneuvers down to whether a Parkour Traceur could maintain his balance.
Last edited by Looonatic on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

13eowulf wrote:I did this one several years ago:

Free Running.
A form of urban acrobatics in which participants, known as free runners, use the city and rural landscape to perform movements through its structures. It incorporates efficient movements and adds aesthetic vaults and other acrobatics, such as tricking and street stunts, creating an athletic and aesthetically pleasing way of moving. It is commonly practiced at gymnasiums and in urban areas that are cluttered with obstacles. This skill cannot be taken as a secondary skill. Skills Required: must have the Climb skill.
Bonuses: +1 to PS, +2 to PP, +1 to PE, +1D4 to Spd, +2D4 SDC, +1 bonus to Roll with Fall or Impact, +1 bonus to Dodge, and no fear of heights.

Note: If the new jumping rules are used, increase vertical jump by 1 inch per PS point, and horizontal jump by 2 inches per PS point.
Anyone taking Acrobatics or Gymnastics cannot take this skill, with a few exceptions (Juicers, Physical Training class [from HU2], and similarly physically focused classes).
Should a class prohibit a player from taking Acrobatics or Gymnastics GMs should be cautious about allowing those classes to take this skill.

As for Parkour, I see that more as a Martial Arts Form, but have not given it a go.

Looks way over powered to me. Why would anyone take prowl if they can get it, at Over 10% higher with this skill for free? and it's got more bonous than any other physical skills, more than a couple of them put together.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Free Running.

Looks way over powered to me. Why would anyone take prowl if they can get it, at Over 10% higher with this skill for free? and it's got more bonous than any other physical skills, more than a couple of them put together.

Yep it kind of is. I was a young gamer back then. It was meant to fit into the same vein as Gymnastics and Acrobatics.
Also I wasnt looking so much at game balance as trying to capture the real world skill and what bonuses it might grant.
I only posted it cause of the question asked.

I think at one point I had it costing 2 OCC related skills instead of one.

Ah the follies of youth... I think this is the first homebrew thing I ever did....
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

i'd also let them completely avoid (not cut in half) damage from a roll with punch/fall/impact for falls of under 10 feet or so, maybe increasing per level. or of course, if you're using the silly physics-negating armor rules, that pretty much already happens anyways. i'd probably also give a bonus to speed while climbing.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Free Running.

Well Prowl as a sub-skill in Acrobatics/Gymnastics* & this home-skill are flat in that they don't advance in level, skill bonuses being equal a character with 4 levels or more of the Prowl Skill will have a better chance of prowling.

*Acrobatics & Gymnastic Skills in my copies of RUE and RMB have Prowl as a base skill with no advancement. IINM older incarnations of the skill did have it advance, but the Rifts Versions AFAIK have always been static.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Mercdog wrote:
Anybody ever try to work out a "Brainwashing Techniques" skill? I've been thinking about doing one lately.

Torture/Interrogation...but behavorial modification would require (multiple) skill rolls against the victim's M.E. And I'd rule that it requires a prerequisite skill of Psychology(admittedly, you can modify a person's behavior by simply beating the snot out them on a regular basis, but I assume you're talking 'Manchurian Candidate' levels of brainwashing). Also, Chemistry: Pharmaceutical if you're going the drug route. Since you can't wave a wand or go brain-to-brain to implant ideas/behaviors, I'd also rule penalties for the complexity of behavior change you're trying to affect. Getting somebody to crave a glass of water whenever you flash a light might be a very simple brainwash, but turning somebody into a sleeper agent would require months of careful indoctrination.

Mass Brainwashing might be as simple as a sleazy application of Public Speaking(Propaganda) and some clever and unscrupulous accompanying video editing.

Generally though, I consign brainwashing to NPC GM gimmicks, and if PCs are exposed to them, I count it as Torture/Interrogation with regards to resisting attempts to break the PCs. Brainwashing would NOT be something Good- or even Selfish-aligned characters would seek to learn and apply, owing to the distasteful nature of it.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mercdog
Hero

Unread post by Mercdog »

taalismn wrote:
Mercdog wrote:

Torture/Interrogation...but behavorial modification would require (multiple) skill rolls against the victim's M.E. And I'd rule that it requires a prerequisite skill of Psychology(admittedly, you can modify a person's behavior by simply beating the snot out them on a regular basis, but I assume you're talking 'Manchurian Candidate' levels of brainwashing). Also, Chemistry: Pharmaceutical if you're going the drug route. Since you can't wave a wand or go brain-to-brain to implant ideas/behaviors, I'd also rule penalties for the complexity of behavior change you're trying to affect. Getting somebody to crave a glass of water whenever you flash a light might be a very simple brainwash, but turning somebody into a sleeper agent would require months of careful indoctrination.

Mass Brainwashing might be as simple as a sleazy application of Public Speaking(Propaganda) and some clever and unscrupulous accompanying video editing.

Generally though, I consign brainwashing to NPC GM gimmicks, and if PCs are exposed to them, I count it as Torture/Interrogation with regards to resisting attempts to break the PCs. Brainwashing would NOT be something Good- or even Selfish-aligned characters would seek to learn and apply, owing to the distasteful nature of it.

Even for the purpose of making people better through "Sensitivity Training"? ;) (Kidding... sort of.)

The method rolling around in my head would incorporate 3 stages/checks ("Unfreezing", Implement the Change, "Freezing") and require minimum of one week of 'preparing' the subject before making the checks, and if the subject saves, they'll have to be worked on for another week. I'm thinking that Psychology will give a good 10% bonus to the checks, but I don't think I'd make it a prerequisite skill. I'd actually been thinking more along the lines of 'Cult' indoctrination, but advanced brain washing including pharmecuticals for a 'Manchurian Candidate' wouldn't be out of line either.
Blade with whom I have lived.
Blade with whom I now die.
Serve right and justice one last time.
Seek one last heart of evil.
Still one last life of pain.
Cut well old friend...
and then farewell.
-Sir Orin Neville Smyth, Flight of Dragons
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

in regards to the OP... thought about it some, actually want to include it in a future project of mine. my version however is somewhat different in mechanics than what those here have suggested.

IMO "Freerunning' is a better choice of skill name and content.. parkour is so stylized that if it was a combat oriented thing, it would be a martial art. freerunning is parkour stripped of the standardized forms and styles, its core of "moving through urban space" left intact with an attitude of 'anything goes' used to fill the void. it is easier to define freerunning for a skill than it is parkour.. and you can just point out that parkour is just a particular school of freerunning that uses a stylized set of moves.

in regards to brainwashing... like Diplomacy, i don't see it as being something you can confine to a single skill, but rather something that is best modeled by multiple skills used in concert. using the conspiracy theory version of the MKUltra approach for example, you'd need medical skills for the prescribing and dosing of the drugs, you'd need a Psychology skill to determine what stimuli to add or remove from the subject's experience and/or employ conventional hypnosis, lore and knowledge skills about any topic needed to create any false background or cover story your giving the subject, and multiple uses of Influence and or intimidate.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”