Chipwell Armaments: A Techno-Wizard's Delight?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nightmask
Palladin

Chipwell Armaments: A Techno-Wizard's Delight?

Unread post by Nightmask »

Considering how incredibly cheap the armor's are seems like they're a missed idea for Techno-Wizard enhancement. Some TW enhancements could turn the relatively worthless armor into something more formidable and what's more for those who expect it to be easy pickings they end up in quite the shock when the armor soaks up damage courtesy of MDC spell enhancement and displays Supernatural PS. Could prove far more effective going with the cheap armor and pumping it up than trying to get the far more difficult to find power armors to augment.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Grell
Republican
Comment: We are the hope for the future and we will not fail in that duty.

Re: Chipwell Armaments: A Techno-Wizard's Delight?

Unread post by Grell »

This is great logic because ultimately the biggest potential expense for any TW is going to be raw devices to convert. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of TW armors and weapons are courtesy of Chipwell frames perhaps customized for a flashier look.
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Nightmask
Palladin

Grell wrote:This is great logic because ultimately the biggest potential expense for any TW is going to be raw devices to convert. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of TW armors and weapons are courtesy of Chipwell frames perhaps customized for a flashier look.

Thanks. I was looking through Rifts: Mercenaries just refreshing myself and it suddenly hit me how Chipwell had the perfect tech for a TW to enhance with really cheap power armors that could be really pumped by a TW into an actually formidable force. You could easily get a few dozen suits cheap and have a TW boost them into real power-houses. For a PC group with one or more TW they could do some great work refitting some of those suits.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

And don't forget that Chipwell also produces their own versions of 'common' body armors and weapons too. Definitely a potential money maker if they ever decided to partner with a TW guild or stormspire (if it hasn't already happened).
"He who commands the kitchen commands the ship." -C. Magewind, Ley Line Rifter and self proclaimed "Best Cook in the Three Galaxies"

"The question is not why the mechanoids kill the humanoids, but only why nobody did it sooner." -Killer Cyborg
Nightmask
Palladin

Grell wrote:And don't forget that Chipwell also produces their own versions of 'common' body armors and weapons too. Definitely a potential money maker if they ever decided to partner with a TW guild or stormspire (if it hasn't already happened).

Well a company devoted to that level of cheapness likely wouldn't go looking to team with any TW to provide relatively expensive TW enhancements although I suppose a GM could take it however they felt including have the company trying to innovate and use Techno-Wizards to bypass some of the expense in creating useful armors with them supplying the low-grade power-armor frame and the TW take it to the next level to be competitive with other much more expensive armors.

Dr Megaverse
Adventurer

Unread post by Dr Megaverse »

Great point!! This never even occurred to me. I bet you could do the same thing with vehicles from Goldenage Weaponsmiths too! A cheapy tank with a PPE battery and some TW enhancement would definitely make their stuff less of a joke.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

A/TW-10 "Baal-Rog".

'Nuff said

Nightmask
Palladin

Dr Megaverse wrote:Great point!! This never even occurred to me. I bet you could do the same thing with vehicles from Goldenage Weaponsmiths too! A cheapy tank with a PPE battery and some TW enhancement would definitely make their stuff less of a joke.

Thanks, glad to have come up with something refreshingly new for everyone to consider. Good point about Goldenage Weaponsmiths, another cheap source of vehicles for TW-enhancement gives you a good trade-off on things. Also as just comes to mind I'm curious how useful a TW Mystic generator would be powering one of these vehicle and how large they are physically. The 200 PPE generator that can power an entire town installed into a GW vehicle could give you some serious range, virtually unlimited for a month before it needs recharged, might even be very helpful doubling for recharging E-clips.

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Nightmask, you found one of the hidden gems in Rifts. Any half-way competent TW can easily correct Chipwell's Power Armor deficiencies. The only challenge is finding pilots with a decent ISP/PPE base, but even that can be overcome by either using diamonds/emeralds for PPE storage, or by putting in a TW PPE battery with Energy Sphere.

And the best part is that most opponents won't realize what's about to hit them.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Nightmask wrote:
Dr Megaverse wrote:Great point!! This never even occurred to me. I bet you could do the same thing with vehicles from Goldenage Weaponsmiths too! A cheapy tank with a PPE battery and some TW enhancement would definitely make their stuff less of a joke.

Thanks, glad to have come up with something refreshingly new for everyone to consider. Good point about Goldenage Weaponsmiths, another cheap source of vehicles for TW-enhancement gives you a good trade-off on things. Also as just comes to mind I'm curious how useful a TW Mystic generator would be powering one of these vehicle and how large they are physically. The 200 PPE generator that can power an entire town installed into a GW vehicle could give you some serious range, virtually unlimited for a month before it needs recharged, might even be very helpful doubling for recharging E-clips.

They run on e-clips so just simple conversion to ppe power source. Instant magic powered armor. Could also add features.
Nightmask
Palladin

Mack wrote:Nightmask, you found one of the hidden gems in Rifts. Any half-way competent TW can easily correct Chipwell's Power Armor deficiencies. The only challenge is finding pilots with a decent ISP/PPE base, but even that can be overcome by either using diamonds/emeralds for PPE storage, or by putting in a TW PPE battery with Energy Sphere.

And the best part is that most opponents won't realize what's about to hit them.

Amazing what can come to mind when you least expect it and the creative muse hits you. Everyone focuses on the higher end power armors that are very expensive and with the descriptions for the Chipwell stuff most players would dismiss them out of hand, but a creative player can make even those seeming deathtraps into a formidable item. While the Gizmoteers aren't quite as effective even they can provide some improvements like a personal force field and maybe even a psi-sword. Just imagine coming up against a guy in Chipwell armor only to see him manifest a Psi-Sword and Psi-Shield.

Nightmask
Palladin

boxee wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

They run on e-clips so just simple conversion to ppe power source. Instant magic powered armor. Could also add features.

Depending on how strict or loose the GM was you could improve one of those suits quite a bit. Oh, imagine a TW and a Gizmoteer working together each adding features. You could have some awesome armor that would look deceptively weak and laughable.

Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

Just imagine coming up against a guy in Chipwell armor only to see him manifest a Psi-Sword and Psi-Shield

Heh, call it 'The Humble Knight' for flavor and you're set! ;)

Nightmask
Palladin

Grell wrote:
Just imagine coming up against a guy in Chipwell armor only to see him manifest a Psi-Sword and Psi-Shield

I'm tempted to find the guidelines for posting fan creations and create a few TW and/or Gizmoteer brand Chipwell suits.

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Nightmask wrote:
Grell wrote:

I'm tempted to find the guidelines for posting fan creations and create a few TW and/or Gizmoteer brand Chipwell suits.

You could call it the Nightwell Corporation, a play on words, then you do not need to worry about the names. "Nightwells Humble Knight Line" comming soon to a store near you.
Grell
Republican

Unread post by Grell »

I think we have a winner!

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Grell wrote:I think we have a winner!

Thanks! 8) 8) 8)
slade2501
Explorer
Comment: For the baddies I shoot, and their bodies I loot; Oh RNJesus, you I salute!

Unread post by slade2501 »

I goofed around and using TW, gave a warmonger Armor Bizzare at 10th level (150 MDC per 15 PPE, HF 14 with penalties as well), magic shield and a TW flamethower, TW plasma Cannon and a flaming sword , all for about 150,000 grand.

Turns the suit into a flaming tentacle monster that can breath fire, throw plasma and terrify people with a HORROR FACTOR.

I call it the NIGHTMONGER. As long as the pilots PPE holds out, its as tough as it NEEDS to be.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

slade2501 wrote:I goofed around and using TW, gave a warmonger Armor Bizzare at 10th level (150 MDC per 15 PPE, HF 14 with penalties as well), magic shield and a TW flamethower, TW plasma Cannon and a flaming sword , all for about 150,000 grand.

Turns the suit into a flaming tentacle monster that can breath fire, throw plasma and terrify people with a HORROR FACTOR.

I call it the NIGHTMONGER. As long as the pilots PPE holds out, its as tough as it NEEDS to be.

I'd also have to guess it has a Resurrection feature...Ir at least a Zombie mode. :P
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Topic locked for necro-posting. Over 9 years from one post to another.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”