Maximizing Psyscape

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Maximizing Psyscape

Unread post by Bood Samel »

So like I mentioned in a prior thread that I've begun to think about ways to really maximize the use of each game book. What can we infer and find in each book? What about ideas and info in older books in relation to newer ones? I always liked psyscape so I started going through it again. I'm barely into it and a few things popped in mind.

1- Psi-Druids are part of the whole psyscape related psychic classes and as such would be assumed to be in and around the psycape area which is ohio and the eastern wilderness. Its also said that Psi-Druids like to help wilderness communities, farms, etc.. We can figure then that these are communities in the eastern wilderness. Who else helps the folks of the eastern wilderness? Shemarrians! And I bet Psi-Druids would be freaked out by the Shemarrians being obviously unnatural. Could a Psi-Druid vs Shemarrian conflict start and if so could it lead to Psyscape vs ARCHIE?

What types of common folk would relate to Psi-Druids more then Shemarrians, or vice versa? Could the conflict be more of a popularity contest of who can win the trust and praise of the people more.

2- During the dark ages psyscape warriors reputed drove off many supernatural monsters, including driving vampires out of north america. Where was that vampire stronghold and what remains in it? Perhaps that vampire warlord in the Arzno book Xavier Stuart is looking to reestablish and rebuild the old vampire ruin. If psycape had armed forces fighting demon hoards during the dark ages, did they play any role in the fall of the Vintex Imperium?

3- Psyscape is a haven for philosophy, the arts, education, etc. and as such it would be a good place to introduce any odd, experimental or really obscure, unique characters. How do they differ from Lazlo in that regard?

4- Psyscape forces right from the get go where said to be starting crap in soul harvest, an undead dominated region of the magic zone that is in Dunscon's backyard. Its been said that a FOM vs psyscape conflict easily come out of this, yet who has ever ran with that theme? Why not its not a bad one. With post-Tolkeen forces getting darker and getting absorbed into the FOM could that escalate things?

5- Xanatoa, pocket dimension monastery part of the whole psyscape OCC culture, and one of the few places psi-warriors are trained. Also the place is known to and used by true atlanteans. Also people are educated at Xanatoa. Now what the hell is the deal with this place? What is it, rifts version of hogwarts? A lot could be done with this place, yet it gets a few quick blurbs on p. 17 of the psyscape book.

I'll poke more through the book through out the night.
Bood Samel
Adventurer

Re: Maximizing Psyscape

Now looking over psi-ghosts there are a few neat gems of info to consider. They came from one village in the magic zone 70 years before the PA calender. They quickly grew to be a mafia like power base but their town was destroyed by unknown rivals. Sense then they formed a loose, scattered network that while informal is also very close knit and fiercely loyal. This is all per the book.

Now what can be said about these interesting but vague details? What do we know of various vague mentions of dark age conflicts? Does this psi-ghost info dove tail with anything else in the books? What is this town, what remains from the psi-ghost era, and who or what is there now? Could this be around soul harvest and be part of earlier psyscape conflicts with necromantic forces? It does say on page 63 that the faction that took out their town was underworld rivals, but given that the conflict took place in the magic zone it could easily be a magic or demonic backed underworld group.

The Calgary Highlanders fit that bill easily, perhaps psi-ghosts and the highlanders have a history of conflict? Was the attack on the town retribution for something that the psi-ghost mob did to the highlanders in the service of someone else? Perhaps it all was an old FOM vs Calgary monster kingdom war with the psi-ghosts working on the behalf of the FOM? Maybe the highlanders still hunt psi-ghosts so thats why the adopted a decentralized structure to their private mob culture. Switching from a Italian mob structure to a Russian mob to escape the demonic bikers.

I know in my home town of Philadelphia there was a history of the Italian mob fighting with bikers in 70's-
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/news- ... 71804.html
http://mafiatoday.com/mafia-forum/showt ... lian-Mafia

I think these links could help to inspire a story line based on the ideas above.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

I like the Psycape Bonuses for Opening the Third Eye the most.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Bood Samel
Adventurer

TechnoGothic wrote:I like the Psycape Bonuses for Opening the Third Eye the most.

Yea but thats just a bit of fluff to justify a bit of min/maxing. It doesn't help with the idea of this thread, that is look at each book and see what details, info and uses we can squeeze out of them. Its a shame to spend money on game books to only use one or two things. Its a shame to our wallet and a shame to palladiums effort.

Well then again maybe it could help? What does the third eye bit say about the culture of the city of psyscape? Its meant to be a city of more goodie-goodie psychic heroes. 83% of the population has this bonus and this city is where most of the psi-druids, psi-warriors, etc are coming from. We know they came back to take care of NXLA. I think its a sign of how mobilized they are for conflict that they are not only producing this advanced communal level of psychic power, but that its also producing all these warrior and adventurer types on purpose.

I imagine a culture like this is very sure of the righteousness of its values and ideals. Thats a very slippery slope. While they are clearly the city of good guy psychic heroes every group poised towards militancy and absolute about the truth of its ideals could very easily slip into tyranny. What after NXLA is gone? Fall into a jihad against the FOM or CS? Get sidelined into the minion war? That righteousness could certainly be steered towards a heavy handed attitude towards their neighbors.

"We're the enlightened psychic warriors who saved you from a demonic lord of undeath, we know whats best for you!".
Bood Samel
Adventurer

Ok back to the Psi-Ghosts.

Near where the original Psi-Ghost village was a territory ruled over by a stern but benevolent Lizard Mage shifter named Rotar. Rotar's right hand man was a C'ro Demon Mage necromaner called Zajul. A spider demon called Omaz once was bound into the service of Rotar and wanted revenge for his forced servitude. Omaz after escaping Rotar fled to Calgary where he led a portion of the highlanders.

Omaz killed Rotar and Zajul took over Rotar's holdings. Unlike Rotar Zajul was a cruel tyrant. Zajul sent a squad of psi-ghosts to Calgary to kill Omaz and they succeeded. The highlanders went after the psi-ghost village and Zajul didn't help them because he thought they were a risk to his power, so he threw them under the bus. The highlanders and the remaining psi-ghosts have had a protracted private war of retribution ever sense. Currently the remains of the psi-ghost town are part of Zajul's territory and it is near soul harvest.

Many psi-ghosts are raised on stories of the betrayal of Zajul to the psi-ghost people and one day they will get their revenge. For in their old original town there stands still to this day the crypt of Osmark Gennison, the first psi-ghost. The crypt of Osmark Gennison is on what is now the fortress of Zajul, the infamous Todeshaus.

The main contender for raiding Todeshaus, librating the tomb of Osmark Gennison and killing Zajul is Pyla Harlin. Pyla is cunning psi-ghost assassin par excellence. She also runs a mercenary band out of Los Alamos that consist of a mix of power psychics, power armor pilots and a stable of psi-techs and TW designers. Pyla is decedent of Osmark Gennison and considers it her lifes duty to avenge the psi-ghost legacy and her progenitor.

One highlander excels at hunting the psi-ghosts, Dertys, a soul tracker demon. Dertys is reputed to have killed 333 psi-ghosts to date and used the skulls of each psi-ghost to build a shrine to the demon lord Chronzon at the calgary rift itself. Dertys was around during the original raid on the psi-ghost town. Dertys rides a large black TW hovercycle and commands a sub-group of highlanders called Ash Bone. The Ash Bone also have a similar gripe with the cyber-horsemen.
Bood Samel
Adventurer

In the write up for Psi-Warriors is mentions that some of them have joined the cyber knights. They keep the psi-warrior class, they just get the title of knight. Thats an odd one, but in on page 78. If this is the case, how many psi-warriors amongst the cyber knights fought in the SOT? Did psyscape or xanatoa get involved in the war in anyway? Come think of it has xanatoa ever been brought up outside of the psyscape book?

What about psi-warriors amongst fallen cyber-knights? Or this issue in relation to cyber knights efforts in fighting the calgary demons? There is a lot of angles to dwell on in regards to this issue.

P95-96 of aftermath talks about the success of psyscape in fighting NXLA and its minions. Could NXLA use the relationship between psi-warriors and cyber knights to lure enemies of cyber knights (like say the calgary demons) into fighting psyscape?
Also what is the deal with Psynex? Does it have a rivalry with NXLA? What if they were both two separate halves of what was once a singular transcendent entity that was split into positive and negative fragments upon coming to rifts earth? Kinda like dark crystal, and like dark crystal, imagine the adventure to unite the two!

Also on p124-125 of aftermath it discusses the problems of the town of soulharvest where NXLA's minions operate out of because it also includes FOM members. They want to avoid getting into a conflict with Dunscon and his crew in the process of dealing with NXLA and its minions. Also psyscape is worried about the soulharvesters joining the FOM and NXLA is worried about Dunscon being threated by it and throwing his lot in with psyscape.

How does the minion war figure into this mess?

Also note my prior comment about the potential for psyscape to be blinded by their own righteousness and force their "enlightenment" on others. Aftermath does mention psyscape is pondering ways to "enlighten" the CS. A do gooder version of MK ULTRA or clockwork orange that goes horribly wrong perhaps?
Bood Samel
Adventurer

frogboy wrote:
Bood Samel wrote:So like I mentioned in a prior thread that I've begun to think about ways to really maximize the use of each game book. What can we infer and find in each book? What about ideas and info in older books in relation to newer ones? I always liked psyscape so I started going through it again. I'm barely into it and a few things popped in mind.

1- Psi-Druids are part of the whole psyscape related psychic classes and as such would be assumed to be in and around the psycape area which is ohio and the eastern wilderness. Its also said that Psi-Druids like to help wilderness communities, farms, etc.. We can figure then that these are communities in the eastern wilderness. Who else helps the folks of the eastern wilderness? Shemarrians! And I bet Psi-Druids would be freaked out by the Shemarrians being obviously unnatural. Could a Psi-Druid vs Shemarrian conflict start and if so could it lead to Psyscape vs ARCHIE?

What types of common folk would relate to Psi-Druids more then Shemarrians, or vice versa? Could the conflict be more of a popularity contest of who can win the trust and praise of the people more.

2- During the dark ages psyscape warriors reputed drove off many supernatural monsters, including driving vampires out of north america. Where was that vampire stronghold and what remains in it? Perhaps that vampire warlord in the Arzno book Xavier Stuart is looking to reestablish and rebuild the old vampire ruin. If psycape had armed forces fighting demon hoards during the dark ages, did they play any role in the fall of the Vintex Imperium?

3- Psyscape is a haven for philosophy, the arts, education, etc. and as such it would be a good place to introduce any odd, experimental or really obscure, unique characters. How do they differ from Lazlo in that regard?

4- Psyscape forces right from the get go where said to be starting crap in soul harvest, an undead dominated region of the magic zone that is in Dunscon's backyard. Its been said that a FOM vs psyscape conflict easily come out of this, yet who has ever ran with that theme? Why not its not a bad one. With post-Tolkeen forces getting darker and getting absorbed into the FOM could that escalate things?

5- Xanatoa, pocket dimension monastery part of the whole psyscape OCC culture, and one of the few places psi-warriors are trained. Also the place is known to and used by true atlanteans. Also people are educated at Xanatoa. Now what the hell is the deal with this place? What is it, rifts version of hogwarts? A lot could be done with this place, yet it gets a few quick blurbs on p. 17 of the psyscape book.

I'll poke more through the book through out the night.

When I read Psyscape And FOM I have alwats wondered what a fight between a group of battle magus and psi-warrior would look like.

It's cool then that aftermath set that narrative in motion then. There is not enough cannon material on either psyscape of the FOM.
TechnoGothic
Knight

I like about Psycape :

Psi-Warriors = Great OCC in concept. But you do have to lvl up to get the good aspects. Alot of psi-powers I would never want is included into them though. But a cool concept.

Psi-Crystal Dragons = Ok a great Dragon RCC. Not unbalanced at all, and fit well into any game within reason. Cool concept.

Updated Burster = Needed to be honest. They still need more though, add the Master Training Third Eye stuff and let the Super-psionic bonuses to boost their Special Pyrokenetics and they become perfect and usable in any game.

There is not much about Psycape I didnt like though.
Only thing I did actually dislike was the Soul-eater stuff. I just found them boring to be honest.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Bood Samel
Adventurer

I like psyscape, but its kinda surprising that I like it given how its very goodie-goodie in its content. It has a lot of neat core concepts, classes and monsters. Lypocas' make great master villains, and I always liked the Lanotaur hunters. Plus dark hounds, Dragon-Apes, and Vyarnect make great flunky minions with out being boring. You need cannon fodder for players to fight, but I imagine fighting nameless bandit/raiders would be morally draining on characters because their motivations aren't too far removed from one another. But these creatures are clearly monsters, not desperate people.

Psyscape is fairly black and white, while FOM is all shades of grey. I think the potential for conflict mentioned in the books between psyscape and the FOM is sadly neglected.

Now going over the book one last time today I found a few more things worth mentioning. On page 106 it mentions the race Psymbiotes have a campaign of guerrilla war against the splugorth called the SLF (symbiote liberation front) and that they work with other races to fight the slavers. This could be another way to tie psyscape with shemarrian nation as the shemarrians also team up with others from time to time to fight the splugorth. Or maybe the party could be pro-Atlantis and be trying to track down a resistence ring leader who is a psymbiote hopping from body to body and is guarded by shemarrians.

Also page 115 does mention Dunscon having a breeding program of spinny ravagers that he lets loose in coalition territories. I know I've used that bit before in a game, plus I've seen it brought up on here before.

All and all I hope with this thread I've achieved my goal of setting the example of how we could use our books better and get more out of them. How often do we think about how the books fit together? One thing I never liked about the book mercenaries is that it seemed to exist in a vaccum and that its classes seemed a rough fit into the setting.

What all does everyone else have to say about these ideas?
DracoMagus
Explorer

Unread post by DracoMagus »

All in all I'd say you have some really good ideas going on in this thread. What I'm wondering though is when are tyou going to give any of the other books a similar treatment? And, if so, what will the next one be. Some other things I'm wondering are; will you be focusing solely on North America or will you try to incorporate things that surround it or connect with it (like New Navy, Atlantis, Triax/NGR...possibly Mutants in Orbit).

Another consideration is, will you be making derivative material from the books you're giving such treatment with? (I'm aware this last one might be outside the scope of what you're trying to do, but this is just me throwin out ideas and seein which one's get touched on).
Remember kids, if speed were everything jackrabbits would Rule the World!!!!

All Hail the Death Metal Rooster!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM
DracoMagus
Explorer

Unread post by DracoMagus »

I really don't look at any of the books as "good" or "bad". They all have stuff that can be used as well as stuff that is absolute crap. I guess what falls under which category is dependant upon the person looking and what it is their looking for the their gaming experience.
Remember kids, if speed were everything jackrabbits would Rule the World!!!!

All Hail the Death Metal Rooster!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43JOxLa5MM
Bood Samel
Adventurer

DracoMagus wrote:All in all I'd say you have some really good ideas going on in this thread. What I'm wondering though is when are tyou going to give any of the other books a similar treatment? And, if so, what will the next one be. Some other things I'm wondering are; will you be focusing solely on North America or will you try to incorporate things that surround it or connect with it (like New Navy, Atlantis, Triax/NGR...possibly Mutants in Orbit).

Another consideration is, will you be making derivative material from the books you're giving such treatment with? (I'm aware this last one might be outside the scope of what you're trying to do, but this is just me throwin out ideas and seein which one's get touched on).

I'll pick through other books as time provides, though please everyone feel free to do so on your own in other threads. I have my own separate rifts thing I'm working on. I always liked psyscape for the classes and monsters but thought the other text was lacking and the amount of pages dedicated to psi-cola stupid. So it could have used the going over.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Maximize you Psi ...
... Open your Third Eye.
~Posted on Sign outside Psyscape~
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Balabanto
Champion

Unread post by Balabanto »

Bood Samel wrote:In the write up for Psi-Warriors is mentions that some of them have joined the cyber knights. They keep the psi-warrior class, they just get the title of knight. Thats an odd one, but in on page 78. If this is the case, how many psi-warriors amongst the cyber knights fought in the SOT? Did psyscape or xanatoa get involved in the war in anyway? Come think of it has xanatoa ever been brought up outside of the psyscape book?

What about psi-warriors amongst fallen cyber-knights? Or this issue in relation to cyber knights efforts in fighting the calgary demons? There is a lot of angles to dwell on in regards to this issue.

P95-96 of aftermath talks about the success of psyscape in fighting NXLA and its minions. Could NXLA use the relationship between psi-warriors and cyber knights to lure enemies of cyber knights (like say the calgary demons) into fighting psyscape?
Also what is the deal with Psynex? Does it have a rivalry with NXLA? What if they were both two separate halves of what was once a singular transcendent entity that was split into positive and negative fragments upon coming to rifts earth? Kinda like dark crystal, and like dark crystal, imagine the adventure to unite the two!

Also on p124-125 of aftermath it discusses the problems of the town of soulharvest where NXLA's minions operate out of because it also includes FOM members. They want to avoid getting into a conflict with Dunscon and his crew in the process of dealing with NXLA and its minions. Also psyscape is worried about the soulharvesters joining the FOM and NXLA is worried about Dunscon being threated by it and throwing his lot in with psyscape.

Also note my prior comment about the potential for psyscape to be blinded by their own righteousness and force their "enlightenment" on others. Aftermath does mention psyscape is pondering ways to "enlighten" the CS. A do gooder version of MK ULTRA or clockwork orange that goes horribly wrong perhaps?

I can't figure out why anyone would rather be a Psi-Warrior than a cyberknight. This class is painfully useless comparatively.
Bood Samel
Adventurer

Balabanto wrote:
Bood Samel wrote:In the write up for Psi-Warriors is mentions that some of them have joined the cyber knights. They keep the psi-warrior class, they just get the title of knight. Thats an odd one, but in on page 78. If this is the case, how many psi-warriors amongst the cyber knights fought in the SOT? Did psyscape or xanatoa get involved in the war in anyway? Come think of it has xanatoa ever been brought up outside of the psyscape book?

I can't figure out why anyone would rather be a Psi-Warrior than a cyberknight. This class is painfully useless comparatively.

Well I imagine its a matter of cross cultural mixing. People raised in psyscape become psi-warriors, then in then travels make close ties with the cyber-knights and get given the title of cyber-knight. They're just getting knighted, their not getting the OCC training. As a person making a character you'd choose the OCC cyber-knight but as far the story line goes these people are just getting the title.

You have to think of settings like real world situations to develop ideas as to what would happen, not just think of the nuts and bolts game mechanics. Psyscape as a culture is a neglected issue, though we have bits to work on. They seem IMO ever more do gooder then Lazlo. Though they are mobilized to deal with a supernatural threat. The matter of self-righteousness and psychic power seems to me a potentially dangerous mix. Any time people are convinced of their goodness they usually start behaving poorly. I imagine after NXLA is gone that psyscape could get out of hand.

Also psi-battalion vs psyscape would be interesting.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Balabanto wrote:

The Psi-Warriors get more Psionic Powers over time. Which is cool.
You can Role-play the First Two Levels kinda like (J-Knights) Being a Learner. At Thrid Level you've learn to make your own Psi-Sword and are considered a Warrior at last. From there you seek to become a Master...

I've Played a Psi-Warrior. Its alot of fun. I selected my Psi-Sword for the Master Third Eye Bonuses (x2 Damage, duration, etc...), so at Third Level my Psi-sword was dealing 8d6 per attack and for 30 minutes per level at a time. When I summoned Two Psi-Swords by spending more ISP of course... I was a terror in battle because I did have Paired Weapons (Swords) as a skill. It was tons of fun dealing 16d6 (1d6x16) per attack. The GM about had a heart attack when I attacks a CS Terror Trooper and scored a Natural 20 (double damage) and rolled almost max damage on the 16d6 (14*6s* and 2*5s*). Myself i geeked out. That was 94 MD x 2 for 188 MD Total from my attack. I just wished i had made a called-shot to the head. It was awesome. Best Roll I ever made using him too. Never rolled that well afterwards, which was cool too.

Oh yeah the Two Cyber-Knights in our group felt alittle under-powered after that ;)
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

TechnoGothic wrote:I've Played a Psi-Warrior. Its alot of fun. I selected my Psi-Sword for the Master Third Eye Bonuses (x2 Damage, duration, etc...), so at Third Level my Psi-sword was dealing 8d6 per attack and for 30 minutes per level at a time. When I summoned Two Psi-Swords by spending more ISP of course...

How much of a hinderence was it to spend 30 seconds summoning two swords?
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Mack wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:I've Played a Psi-Warrior. Its alot of fun. I selected my Psi-Sword for the Master Third Eye Bonuses (x2 Damage, duration, etc...), so at Third Level my Psi-sword was dealing 8d6 per attack and for 30 minutes per level at a time. When I summoned Two Psi-Swords by spending more ISP of course...

How much of a hinderence was it to spend 30 seconds summoning two swords?

Not much actually at the time.
I had one already summoned. As the CS troops were trying to talk to our leader about us surrendering I started to summon the second psi-sword.

Bad thing was I forgot I had No MDC Armor on at the time, and did not have any type of protection (psionic or tw). After the battle I noticed how lucky I got in combat too when another player pointed out I entered combat without activating Psychic Body Field or the TW Armor of Ithan I normal had, which I leant to him. Another player pointed out I was without my usual Triax Plain Cloths Trench coat too. The GM kinda freaked tha I played out 10 full rounds of combat and never got hit once by Pure Luck.

The Psi-Warrior OCC gained by respect after that :D
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Bood Samel
Adventurer

Are you still playing the Psi-Warrior or at least have the sheet? If so, may I ask what you guy thinks in reference to the points I brought up about psyscape and its culture. Also was your guy trained in Xanatoa?
Balabanto
Champion

TechnoGothic wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

You can Role-play the First Two Levels kinda like (J-Knights) Being a Learner. At Thrid Level you've learn to make your own Psi-Sword and are considered a Warrior at last. From there you seek to become a Master...

I've Played a Psi-Warrior. Its alot of fun. I selected my Psi-Sword for the Master Third Eye Bonuses (x2 Damage, duration, etc...), so at Third Level my Psi-sword was dealing 8d6 per attack and for 30 minutes per level at a time. When I summoned Two Psi-Swords by spending more ISP of course... I was a terror in battle because I did have Paired Weapons (Swords) as a skill. It was tons of fun dealing 16d6 (1d6x16) per attack. The GM about had a heart attack when I attacks a CS Terror Trooper and scored a Natural 20 (double damage) and rolled almost max damage on the 16d6 (14*6s* and 2*5s*). Myself i geeked out. That was 94 MD x 2 for 188 MD Total from my attack. I just wished i had made a called-shot to the head. It was awesome. Best Roll I ever made using him too. Never rolled that well afterwards, which was cool too.

Oh yeah the Two Cyber-Knights in our group felt alittle under-powered after that ;)

Yeah, and, uh, just what was going on that you had a full melee round to prepare for combat? Really, in Rifts this actually doesn't happen very often. when the PC's are the ambushers, it's possible. More than likely, PC's will be the ambushees. That means that while the Cyberknights are fighting, you're taking an entire melee round to turn your psi sword on. And you don't get sixth sense until some ungodly high level comparatively. Even worse, the ability they should have at first (Sensing the Supernatural) they don't get until a vastly higher level. This class isn't just badly designed. It also makes no sense.
Bood Samel
Adventurer

Balabanto wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

Yeah, and, uh, just what was going on that you had a full melee round to prepare for combat? Really, in Rifts this actually doesn't happen very often. when the PC's are the ambushers, it's possible. More than likely, PC's will be the ambushees. That means that while the Cyberknights are fighting, you're taking an entire melee round to turn your psi sword on. And you don't get sixth sense until some ungodly high level comparatively. Even worse, the ability they should have at first (Sensing the Supernatural) they don't get until a vastly higher level. This class isn't just badly designed. It also makes no sense.

It seems that the psi-slayer, a class that rules IMO, is what a psi-warrior should be. Though I guess the idea is that slayers are amoral and self serving and the warriors are more selfless and community oriented. The should be revamped to be more jedi like.
Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

Since Psyscape (and really Rifts in general) is full of various possibilities I have also allowed Palladium Fantasy OCCs, RCCs, and PCCs. Man do I love Rifts!!!
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
TechnoGothic
Knight

Balabanto wrote:

As I posted

TechnoGothic wrote:
I had one already summoned. As the CS troops were trying to talk to our leader about us surrendering I started to summon the second psi-sword.

Bad thing was I forgot I had No MDC Armor on at the time, and did not have any type of protection (psionic or tw). After the battle I noticed how lucky I got in combat too when another player pointed out I entered combat without activating Psychic Body Field or the TW Armor of Ithan I normal had, which I leant to him. Another player pointed out I was without my usual Triax Plain Cloths Trench coat too. The GM kinda freaked tha I played out 10 full rounds of combat and never got hit once by Pure Luck.

I already had One summoned. While the CS talked with our leader, I summoned a second sword. About 10 minutes passed before the CS gave up trying to talk our group into surrendering.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

TechnoGothic
Knight

Bood Samel wrote:Are you still playing the Psi-Warrior or at least have the sheet? If so, may I ask what you guy thinks in reference to the points I brought up about psyscape and its culture. Also was your guy trained in Xanatoa?

Let me take a look...

Yeah Xanatoa Monastery is were the character recieved his training.
We has it as an Astral Realm linked to several places. One was Psyscape. Another was Our Time (BtS). My character was from the BtS world. One of my teachers was a Purple little toad-like being. (think Yoda mixed with Rygal from farescape)

I actually reached 10th Level before the group stopped playing.

Ohh yeah, the GM said I had +1 Attack per Psi-Sword I have summoned. Thats why I summoned the second psi-sword come to think about it. So I had +2 Attacks for that fight.
Remember I also had the Third Eye Training completed. :D

Looking at the OCC abilities. OMG I was only somewhere between 3rd to 5th level during that fight. I know I selected Paired Weapons sword at lvl 3.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

TechnoGothic
Knight

Balabanto wrote: Yeah, and, uh, just what was going on that you had a full melee round to prepare for combat? Really, in Rifts this actually doesn't happen very often. when the PC's are the ambushers, it's possible. More than likely, PC's will be the ambushees. That means that while the Cyberknights are fighting, you're taking an entire melee round to turn your psi sword on. And you don't get sixth sense until some ungodly high level comparatively. Even worse, the ability they should have at first (Sensing the Supernatural) they don't get until a vastly higher level. This class isn't just badly designed. It also makes no sense.

You never gain Sixth Sense unless you select it at Level 9+.
Its a useless power anyways with a wimpy 90ft radius.

Sense Supernatural ?
They can sense Magic, Evil, Presence Sense at lvl 4. See Aura at lvl7. lvl 9+ guess they could select Sense Supernatural if they wanted to learn it.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Bood Samel
Adventurer

TechnoGothic wrote:
Bood Samel wrote:Are you still playing the Psi-Warrior or at least have the sheet? If so, may I ask what you guy thinks in reference to the points I brought up about psyscape and its culture. Also was your guy trained in Xanatoa?

Let me take a look...

We has it as an Astral Realm linked to several places. One was Psyscape. Another was Our Time (BtS). My character was from the BtS world. One of my teachers was a Purple little toad-like being. (think Yoda mixed with Rygal from farescape)

Ohh yeah, the GM said I had +1 Attack per Psi-Sword I have summoned. Thats why I summoned the second psi-sword come to think about it. So I had +2 Attacks for that fight.

Looking at the OCC abilities. OMG I was only somewhere between 3rd to 5th level during that fight. I know I selected Paired Weapons sword at lvl 3.

Did you come up with any ideas on what Xanatoa Monastery was like, or was it just background fluff?
TechnoGothic
Knight

Bood Samel wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:

Let me take a look...

Did you come up with any ideas on what Xanatoa Monastery was like, or was it just background fluff?

Well I had to role-play some of the Xanatoa Monastery out when my character first meet the group (who all was 5th level at the time and already adventureing).
The GM ran the monasyery like a Jedi-training camp meets a sholin monk monastery. We even trained with Psi-tech Psi-swords devices. Two versions. Stun versions for sparing and sdc/mdc versions with a strict 4d6 damage cap. One of the Headhunters got mine after i learned to make my own Psi-sword. The Headhunter was a major psychic so he could use it.

I returned to the monastery right before the group broke apart. So i guess the PC is still there now as a *Master* Psi-Warrior, teaching younglings ;) :lol:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Bood Samel
Adventurer

You should write some of that up and post it.
TechnoGothic
Knight

I would if i was not so lazy ;)

LOL, I remember at lvl 9 we ran into Vampires. Our psi-swords were the only weapons we had that could hurt them. I went through All my armors in that fight. Crusader, Plain cloths trenchcoat, psychic body field, and a Blind Warrior Woman amulet. One of the Cyberknights lost an arm (left arm) and the headhunter ended up becoming a an Anti-Monster cyborg after that fight in South America. Hewas a 13th lvl headhunter and was growing tired of not lvling up.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Balabanto
Champion

TechnoGothic wrote:
Balabanto wrote:

As I posted

TechnoGothic wrote:

I already had One summoned. While the CS talked with our leader, I summoned a second sword. About 10 minutes passed before the CS gave up trying to talk our group into surrendering.

And no one saw you with a weapon out? Why would the CS try to talk you into doing anything? An openly displayed weapon is an advertisement for "Open fire!" Your GM was way too nice.
TechnoGothic
Knight

Well the CS group was not in the best of shape. One Terror-Trooper (no damage), 4 CS Grunts (minor damage to armors),and a few Dogboys (dont remember how their armor was).

Our group didnt have an Dbees or mages (at the time) and had done work for CS before I joined.
Dont't remember why they wanted us to surrender. But My first psi-sword was out because i was sparing with one of the cyberknights. And while our leader talked we made it look like we still sparing, so it did fit into things. Its not like i was standing near the CS group or anything.

What is funny is our leader walked back to us and told us the CS group was going to head back to their base and that we should not mess with them. That is when they attacked, when their leader got back to his men and decided to score some points i guess.

One of the Dogboys ended up joining us i remember now, and told us their leader saw that our leader was carrying a CS Pistol on his hip. Which he found btw. Something about CS weapons. I remember I got onto the Headhunter for carrying it, if he knew it was against the law and in front of them. The CKs got pissed too btw. They wanted to know were his Triax pistol went to. Seems one of the groups rules was no cs weapons ever....

All in all we had fun and i learned s few rules and laws and not to trust that Headhunter.
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

Crucible
Champion

Unread post by Crucible »

The most awesome thing about Psyscape is how unlimited by physics it really is. Man, I love it. Its a world within a world. The reason I have made it the home of PFRPG OCC's is because its one of many doorways to that world in my game. The Paladin in my game was born in Psyscape and the son of a Paladin who originally hails from the PFRPG world. His mother is a Psi-Warrior.

BTW...I just remembered that I have to tell Kevarin what is Psi-Ranger is up to...he's gonna kick me...LOL!!!
L-20 Pulse Rifle=25,000 Credits, Plastic Man Full Environmental Armor=18,000 Credits, Speedster Hovercycle w/Nuclear power and Laser=461,000 Credits.

Playing Rifts with your five older children, PRICELESS.

See My New Campaign in story form
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=126287
Rifter_GM
D-Bee
Comment: Our future is a mystery, our destiny is to live in the imagination.

Unread post by Rifter_GM »

Lots of great Psyscape ideas in this thread. I wonder why there weren't many follow ups to WB12? Psyscape is a really fascinating piece of Rifts.

Return to “Rifts®”