Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Explorer

STILL no listed ISP recovery for Mind Melters YET!

And not clarification if Healing Touch and Bio-regenerate Self or the Psi Super Power Regeneration also heals MDC beings.

Unread postPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:05 am

Explorer

Same stuff as above.

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Dungeon Crawler

UAR-1 Enforcer lists 80 rounds expended for 1D6x10 damage. IMHO it should be 40 rounds for 1D6 x10 as this rail gun uses a lager round the SAMAS rail gun or the damage should be higher.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:04 pm

D-Bee

Comment: My e-mail is glynnlc@me.com
Page 251

The Coalition Spider Skull Walker black market cost states it has missiles, but there are no statistics for it. Not even what kind of missiles (mini, short, medium, long). Does it have missiles or not?

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:18 pm

Palladin

Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
GT wrote:
not clarification if Healing Touch and Bio-regenerate Self or the Psi Super Power Regeneration also heals MDC beings.

I would assume it doesn't unless MDC is explicitly indicated.

An exception to this would be the Syvan though, their super psi Bio-Regen can heal MDC to themself, a unique RCC ability.

Mlp7029 wrote:
UAR-1 Enforcer lists 80 rounds expended for 1D6x10 damage. IMHO it should be 40 rounds for 1D6 x10 as this rail gun uses a lager round the SAMAS rail gun

This has been an issue since RMBp196. It is described as more powerful than the SAMAS. Since the range is the same, I figure that means damage. On a per-round basis the UAR-1 is definitely slightly stronger (2 more sides on the die) so it is better for sniping. I don't know if that means it uses a bigger round though. It might use the same one. It might just have a stronger power supply than the SAMAS.

But yeah, the accuracy is pretty horrible. SAMAS get 10 shots per 40 (25%) while Enforcer gets 10 shots per 80 (12.5%). It has a bigger payload but that doesn't help much with ammo costs. The Spider-Walker is in an equally horrible situation, still with a better per-shot damage than either SAMAS/Enforcer and a higher range this time, making it a better sniper.

glynnlc wrote:
Page 251: Spider Skull Walker black market cost states it has missiles

Odd, this is also an issue on RMBp197. I would definitely give it a compliment of mini-missiles at minimum. Considering how valuable they are for defense against volleys, even if missiles were not the prime offense of a robot, something as expensive as the Spider-Walker should logically have some to extend its lifespan.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:30 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Page 66 OCC skills for Cyber-Knight is missing WP Shield (Zen Combat number two says they have it) and WP Sword.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:55 pm

Champion

Mlp7029 wrote:
Page 66 OCC skills for Cyber-Knight is missing WP Shield (Zen Combat number two says they have it) and WP Sword.

Greetings and Salutations. Page 65, level two of Zen Combat gives you the skill. Last couple of sentences: "Gets the W.P. Shield skill... " and then provides the bonuses. Since you don't have it at level 1, it's not an O.C.C. skill. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:38 pm

Knight

So basically what this means is that unless a 1st level Cyber-Knight wants to devote a skill slot to a skill they will get NEXT level to use something that they can create right now (they start off with the ability to form Psi-Shields), then they will have to fumble around for a level unable to make the most of their Psi-Shields (or mundane shields if they have those as well...).

And Horrors Unknown

Unread postPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:29 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!
dragonfett wrote:
So basically what this means is that unless a 1st level Cyber-Knight wants to devote a skill slot to a skill they will get NEXT level to use something that they can create right now (they start off with the ability to form Psi-Shields), then they will have to fumble around for a level unable to make the most of their Psi-Shields (or mundane shields if they have those as well...).

Yes. You want to use your shield effectively, take the W.P.

Ninjabunny wrote:
You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote:
The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:
Because DINOSAURS.

Unread postPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:07 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Ley Line Rifter spell list B has some inconsistent PPE values for some of the spells. The write up says spells on list A and B are cast at half cost but some of the spells have different PPE reductions than a half. Teleport Lesser and Call Lightning at 5 are one third; Teleport Superior at 150 is one quarter. Additionally Teleport Lesser (60) should be listed as well.

Unread postPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Palladin

Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
Rappanui wrote:
The Beast wrote:
madmarvin wrote:
RMB Glitterboys have 100 round but in RUE and later the have 1000 rounds which is correct? to me the 100 rounds is it allows a advanced pilot (10 attacks) 2 1/2 minutes of constant fire vs 25 mins of constant fire which I find stupendous.

Kevin said the 100 was a typo and it was always meant to be 1,000. Fans did the math and said the ammo containers for that amount would be the size of to two full refrigerators.

rurther note: Weight slugs which are about the same size and shape of a glitterboy Canister weigh 5lbs each. 1000 canisters = 5000lbs. the glitterboy does not weigh 4 tons.
The Loaded boom gun is roughly 600lbs, The math involved says that's about right for a 100 round complement.
I think he meant individual slugs, which 200 are in each canister...

If that were the case, it would only take 50 rounds to reach 1000 slugs, half the payload the GB was listed as having in RMB. If it were slugs then you'd expect to see 2000 as the mistake.

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Rappanui wrote:
The Beast wrote:
madmarvin wrote:
RMB Glitterboys have 100 round but in RUE and later the have 1000 rounds which is correct? to me the 100 rounds is it allows a advanced pilot (10 attacks) 2 1/2 minutes of constant fire vs 25 mins of constant fire which I find stupendous.

Kevin said the 100 was a typo and it was always meant to be 1,000. Fans did the math and said the ammo containers for that amount would be the size of to two full refrigerators.

rurther note: Weight slugs which are about the same size and shape of a glitterboy Canister weigh 5lbs each. 1000 canisters = 5000lbs. the glitterboy does not weigh 4 tons.
The Loaded boom gun is roughly 600lbs, The math involved says that's about right for a 100 round complement.
I think he meant individual slugs, which 200 are in each canister...

faulty math based on too many assumptions.
the only things we know for sure are the length of a single round (7 inches) and the length of a single slug (1 inch) and that the slugs are packed in a shell in four bundles of 50 (which only accounts for 4 inches of the total length of a "shell" no other data is supplied.
so any additional data is pure supposition.
also using current technology to "guesstimate" the design parameters of a fictional settings super-science (which by definition exceeds our current understanding)?
next you will try to define the parameters of magical effects (defined in the setting as defying known laws of physics) using "real" world physics.

The nice thing about 1000 rounds is you can stack them up as 10 x 10 x 10 and just multiply the dimensions of a single round by 10 in every aspect to figure out how much space 1000 would take up. So 7 inches long (which we can agree is probably the biggest dimension, whatever the width of it is) times 10 is 70 inches, or 5'10. Now... if it wasn't a perfect 10x10x10 and was a bit wider and thicker in the back (say, 5 tall x 10 depth x 20 wide) then it could be a mere 2'11" high.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:16 pm

Champion

glynnlc wrote:
Page 251

The Coalition Spider Skull Walker black market cost states it has missiles, but there are no statistics for it. Not even what kind of missiles (mini, short, medium, long). Does it have missiles or not?

If I recall, that misprint/omission was in the original Game Book...so, they were thinking of "fixing" the issue in UE...and didn't quite get around to doing it?

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Unread postPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Champion

mobuttu wrote:
There is no skill indicated for the use of a Tomahawk.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a Bola.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a Bayoned.

Even though they are listed in their corresponding books.

WP: Axe
WP: Throwing (?)
Bayonet? Combination - WP: Knife when used dismounted. WP: Spear when mounted on a rifle.

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Unread postPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Champion

Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."
mobuttu wrote:
farfairer wrote:
Page 326-328: WP: Ancient Weapons:

There is no skill indicated for the use of a lance.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a chainsaw.

Tomahawk is an axe. Bayonet would be knife.

Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 am

Knight

Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith
SittingBull wrote:
mobuttu wrote:
farfairer wrote:
Page 326-328: WP: Ancient Weapons:

There is no skill indicated for the use of a lance.
There is no skill indicated for the use of a chainsaw.

Tomahawk is an axe. Bayonet would be knife.

Bola is thrown weapons.

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Just noticed that the Bruutasaur (WB30 p37-40; first printing) gets ammunition, but no weapons in its starting equipment.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:43 am

Champion

popscythe wrote:
Kalidor wrote:
Borgs wearing heavy armor state "Prowl is impossible". While it might be considered a 'common sense' factor that Power Armor and Robots fall under that classification, it probably wouldn't hurt to toss in "Prowl is impossible" under their features and limitations.

I agree. There does not seem to be a concrete reference to Prowl being normally impossible in Power Armor and Robots, and one should probably be listed under the features and limitations sections to avoid confusion.

I would agree with this, except that there are power armors in NG2 that expressly allow the wearer to prowl without penalty, and there are other recon-type models in other books that would seem to support some ability to prowl.

My own concern about the eratta:

RUE p287 says, "Each O.C.C. should indicate how many S.D.C. points a character gets. In the event that it does not, the character starts out with 2D6+12 S.D.C., plus any O.C.C. or R.C.C. bonuses."

Here's the thing. Even in RUE, many of the O.C.C.'s do not list any S.D.C., including the CS military O.C.C.'s, Merc Soldier, Robot Pilot, Cyber Doc, Elemental Fusionist, Ley Line Walkers... I'm sure the list goes on. Meanwhile, in the O.C.C.'s in which the S.D.C. is presented at the top, it's listed as one of a series of O.C.C. bonuses, not as a "starting S.D.C."

From the looks of things RUE was supposed to be presented like Chaos Earth for starting S.D.C. purposes, where each class gets its own. That's not the case. Some revision here would seem appropriate.

Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:26 pm

Champion

Hotrod wrote:
Meanwhile, in the O.C.C.'s in which the S.D.C. is presented at the top, it's listed as one of a series of O.C.C. bonuses, not as a "starting S.D.C."

From the looks of things RUE was supposed to be presented like Chaos Earth for starting S.D.C. purposes, where each class gets its own. That's not the case. Some revision here would seem appropriate.

Welp, until they get their selves together, I still use page 9 in the "original" book (In this case, my water damaged silver R:RPG Collector's Ed.).

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:07 am

D-Bee

P283 - I don't think it's been mentioned yet, but under the penalties for having a M.A. between 3 and 4, it says you get a -20% penalty to several skills, which include Interrogation. Then it gives several skills you get a -30% to, including Interrogation again! From the looks of the other penalties for low M.A., it appears the -30% is correct, so it should be deleted from the -20% list.

Unread postPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:26 am

Knight

popscythe wrote:
On page 362 it mentions that missiles always strike the main body, while on page 363 it mentions making called shots with missiles. Is the "Note: All missiles always strike the main body" on page 362 in the correct place? It is my opinion that moving it to after the missile volley description and changing it to "Note: all missiles in a volley strike the main body of their target" would cover what was intended for this note.

That would be a sensible correction. In RMB called shots could only be done on aimed shots, and aimed shots with mini-missiles were only possible with 1 missile or the smallest volley of 2 missiles. Volleys of 3 or more counted as a burst and only got +1 to strike.

I believe this only applied with using the WP Heavy skill to fire unguided missiles though, using the +3aimed/+1 burst standard rules for guns which existed at the time. I believe if you were using guided missiles you would still get a +3 for volleys of 3 or more, just not if you were doing unguided volleys.

Of course, with called shots now requiring a WP skill (and even the genius smart missiles are not indicated as having that) all guided/smart missiles could only hit the main body (being unable to do a called shot) unless there was some way of coding a supplementary WP skill into the AI of the robot. I could see that being done for the Naruni drone-missile, would be worth the expense. Otherwise you'd have to rely on unguided missiles fired by people with the appropriate WP skill to hit non-main targets, and that probably limits you to mini-missile ranges of a mile or less.

RPwise I guess there's nothing preventing an unguided missile of a larger size (short/medium/larger) from being used at a close range a pilot can see at (otherwise it'd be -8 for firing blind, one would assume, not sure how it works if you're going based on radar rather than direct line of sight, and radar doesn't go THAT far) but GM input should be needed. While a called shot on a HUGE vehicle (like Dragon Dreadnought or something) with a LRM is feasible, doing that on smaller targets doesn't make much sense when you get to the point where the missile itself is larger than the entire body (much less the main body or a smaller portion connected to it) of the target. The idea of a called shot, a precision strike, is usually that you are striking with something small enough to single it out.

Like for example, the Kreeghor Dreadnought could technically do a called shot to my hand with its horn cannons... but realistically it's a 20 foot wide beam or something so the GM should disallow a called shot against such a small target and mandate only main body shots for targets much smaller than the attack.

Unread postPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Knight

Axelmania wrote:
popscythe wrote:
On page 362 it mentions that missiles always strike the main body, while on page 363 it mentions making called shots with missiles. Is the "Note: All missiles always strike the main body" on page 362 in the correct place? It is my opinion that moving it to after the missile volley description and changing it to "Note: all missiles in a volley strike the main body of their target" would cover what was intended for this note.

That would be a sensible correction. In RMB called shots could only be done on aimed shots, and aimed shots with mini-missiles were only possible with 1 missile or the smallest volley of 2 missiles. Volleys of 3 or more counted as a burst and only got +1 to strike.

I believe this only applied with using the WP Heavy skill to fire unguided missiles though, using the +3aimed/+1 burst standard rules for guns which existed at the time. I believe if you were using guided missiles you would still get a +3 for volleys of 3 or more, just not if you were doing unguided volleys.

Of course, with called shots now requiring a WP skill (and even the genius smart missiles are not indicated as having that) all guided/smart missiles could only hit the main body (being unable to do a called shot) unless there was some way of coding a supplementary WP skill into the AI of the robot. I could see that being done for the Naruni drone-missile, would be worth the expense. Otherwise you'd have to rely on unguided missiles fired by people with the appropriate WP skill to hit non-main targets, and that probably limits you to mini-missile ranges of a mile or less.

RPwise I guess there's nothing preventing an unguided missile of a larger size (short/medium/larger) from being used at a close range a pilot can see at (otherwise it'd be -8 for firing blind, one would assume, not sure how it works if you're going based on radar rather than direct line of sight, and radar doesn't go THAT far) but GM input should be needed. While a called shot on a HUGE vehicle (like Dragon Dreadnought or something) with a LRM is feasible, doing that on smaller targets doesn't make much sense when you get to the point where the missile itself is larger than the entire body (much less the main body or a smaller portion connected to it) of the target. The idea of a called shot, a precision strike, is usually that you are striking with something small enough to single it out.

Like for example, the Kreeghor Dreadnought could technically do a called shot to my hand with its horn cannons... but realistically it's a 20 foot wide beam or something so the GM should disallow a called shot against such a small target and mandate only main body shots for targets much smaller than the attack.

Actually nothing stops a missiles to be used to make a called shot to the main body if it can be used as a single sniper style attack at times when the target can only be hit by called shot such as when they are behind cover.

The rule is not they can not make called shots it is they can only hit the main body, so a called shot to the main body to hit a target partially behind cover would not violate the note.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:44 am

Explorer

What is the OFFICIAL R.U.E. Mind Melter ISP Recovery RATE!

Unread postPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 pm

Knight

Blue_Lion wrote:
Actually nothing stops a missiles to be used to make a called shot to the main body if it can be used as a single sniper style attack at times when the target can only be hit by called shot such as when they are behind cover.

The rule is not they can not make called shots it is they can only hit the main body, so a called shot to the main body to hit a target partially behind cover would not violate the note.

Called shots to the main body could be done with unguided missiles, by a misileer with WP Heavy. Smart missiles make their own +5 rolls without a WP and so could not choose to aim or call.

Since missiles lack WP and can't make called shots, their inability to hit anything but the main body is obvious.

For missileers, they can hit whatever they want to call, since they are the ones striking.

GT wrote:
What is the OFFICIAL R.U.E. Mind Melter ISP Recovery RATE!

I think someone pointed out there is a base 6/hour for all psychics they would use since RMB stripped their 12/hour.

I think it is still in Psyscape as 12 so the (accidental?) omission in RUEnneed not benviewed as a mandatory nerf.

Unread postPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:36 am

D-Bee

For the vagabond equipment it say a gun with extra clip. But it doesn't say if it is a S.D.C. gun or energy weapon.

Unread postPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:43 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Page 329 W.P Energy Pistol, W.P. Energy Rifle, and W.P. Heavy Mega-Damage Weapons don't have the bonus progression printed, its on page 360 though.

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:58 pm

Knight

Grimlock wrote:
dragonfett wrote:
No, it's not a typo, they do get Radio: Basic. Radio: Scramblers has been replaced with Electronic Countermeasures.

First of all, I just looked through my book and I have the 1st printing, so the problem I'm addressing may not apply to later printings.

Second of all, I'm referring to pg. 82 of my book, where it lists "Radio: Basic" at +10% under the Merc Soldier O.C.C. skills, yet on pg. 81, under the MOS category "Communications Expert", it lists "Radio: Basic" at +20%.

I thought the "Radio: Basic" under the MOS was supposed to be a different skill rather than the higher bonus to "Radio: Basic".

What's the verdict on this?

Same skill new bonus. Also taking some skill twice can be seen as the difference between an armature and professional at least in domestics skills.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:20 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Hotrod wrote:
popscythe wrote:
Kalidor wrote:
Borgs wearing heavy armor state "Prowl is impossible". While it might be considered a 'common sense' factor that Power Armor and Robots fall under that classification, it probably wouldn't hurt to toss in "Prowl is impossible" under their features and limitations.

I agree. There does not seem to be a concrete reference to Prowl being normally impossible in Power Armor and Robots, and one should probably be listed under the features and limitations sections to avoid confusion.

I would agree with this, except that there are power armors in NG2 that expressly allow the wearer to prowl without penalty, and there are other recon-type models in other books that would seem to support some ability to prowl.

The rule is, in typical Palladium Fashion, found in Rifts Japan.
Where we find out that Light power armor has a huge penalty and heavy can not prowl at all...
...unless the suit in question says it can.
Thus the suits that expressly allow the wearer to prowl... express that because it is a special feature.

The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:46 pm

Champion

Wilderness Scouts get Horsemanship: General in their OCC skills. Then, a few lines later in their OCC skills, it states that the player must choose between Horsemanship: General, Pilot: Motorcycle, or Pilot: Hovercycle.

Which is it?

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:48 pm

Champion

According to Lone Star p46, Dog Boys use the C14 Fire Breather as their standard rifle for combat missions. However, they don't have W.P. Heavy, which is required to shoot the grenade launcher on that weapon.

Check out my maps here!

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:03 am

Champion

Hotrod wrote:
Wilderness Scouts get Horsemanship: General in their OCC skills. Then, a few lines later in their OCC skills, it states that the player must choose between Horsemanship: General, Pilot: Motorcycle, or Pilot: Hovercycle.

Which is it?

Greetings and Salutations. My copy (RUE, page 99, third printing which includes some of the errata) lists it as: Pilot Motorcycle or Hovercycle or Horsemanship: Exotic; pick one. The bold was added by me for emphasis. I hope that helps sort out at least one question. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:24 am

Palladin

Hotrod wrote:
According to Lone Star p46, Dog Boys use the C14 Fire Breather as their standard rifle for combat missions. However, they don't have W.P. Heavy, which is required to shoot the grenade launcher on that weapon.

So they shoot it wild or they take the skill as part of a skill selection. As far as I know they are not prohibited from taking that skill.
And the CS treats them as expendables...so the idea that they will not be able to fully utilize their weapons but in exchange can't turn said weapons against the humans as easily (can't reload) seems fully in keeping with the CS mentality.

Edmund Burke wrote:

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:41 am

Knight

*wonders if the dog boys are never intended to shoot the grenades but instead are intended to have them detonate inside some monster that just ate the dog boy and his rifle*

Unread postPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:36 pm

D-Bee

I know we are necroing the the dead Horse thread, and I know this will never see the light of day, but still going to toss it in..

Corrections need to be made to make Ancient W.P. Skills OTHER than the Sword more appealing. As it stands, really the ONLY reason to take one of the others is because you like how you imagine they would look. None of the others match the upside of Swords simply because Swords Ultimately get +1 more to Strike and Parry than any others, and on average have WAY better damages. Worse if if you Spend another Skill slot to get Fencing, then another +1 to both as well as an Additional 1d6 Damage. Really, the only other things that benefit like this are if you Take Targeting and a Thrown (like Spears) and THEN they begin to come out ahead, IF they are thrown.. but still, on average, most of their weapons are sub par compared to Swords available. If things in the Game were more vulnerable to certain types of Ancient weapons over others (Like Axe, Blunts or Polearms over Swords) it wouldn't be so bad, but right now, if you want to compete with others for being able to hit something, or hurt it, most of the time Swords are your best bet (The piddly damage bonus Polearms get is not worth mentioning, unless you are charging something and have the right Horse skills, and even then, most Polearms are sub par in Damage).