Genetic Engineering and Bio-Wizardry?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MidnightNova
D-Bee

Genetic Engineering and Bio-Wizardry?

Unread post by MidnightNova »

Something occured to me. Are bio-wizardry and genetic engineering (Gene-Splicer/Gene-Tech/Eugenics from PU2/etc) compatible? And if they are... is the limit of 3 Bio-wizard augmentations before one becomes a partial bio-borg OCC stackable with genetic engineering modifications? I can see it a few ways;

1: Bio-wizardry and Genetic Engineering are incompatible, Any lifeform can have one or the other.

2: They can be combined, but the limit on Bio-wizardry before bio-borg conversion also applies to genetic engineering as well.

3: The Bio-Wizard limit is only for bio wizardry, and genetic modifications (tech based) do not count towards it.

So say if a person had a number of genetic modifications (Say extra PP, increased SDC, and and electrical discharge), and then tried to get a pair of Eyes of Eylor, what would happen?

Honestly I can see it being either of the three options listed, my own instinct is to go with number 2.

Any suggestions?
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Re: Genetic Engineering and Bio-Wizardry?

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

A character could have more than 3 genetic modifications, so having them just share the same counter would prohibit potential results found in game. I'd probably just go with option 3, with the caveat that people shouldn't try to power game things outside games pegged to that sort of power level.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Option 3. Genetic modifications do not count as bio wizardy and do not count towards caps.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Nothing says that GE and BW are incompatible on a basic level. Limits and Restrictions for either one still applies and do not count against each other (basically #3). Now I could see some examples of BW preventing further GE from being done (possibly even any for simplicity), and not all BW options are necessarily compatible with a GE subject (some do have Host Requirements, and no amount of GE is likely to overcome).
MidnightNova
D-Bee

Thanks Nekira, upon thinking it over I tend to agree with you wholeheartedly.
Shorty Lickens
Hero
Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!

Unread post by Shorty Lickens »

yeah I think Mindwerks does both, right?
http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/
Create and print dozens of different graph papers.
MidnightNova
D-Bee

I do not think Mindwerks does either. All of their minions/goons/experiments are either M.O.M. based, Psynetic tech (Development of M.O.M.) or cybernetic/bionic. No real mention of either genetic engineering or bio-wizardry.
Hell knight
Explorer

Unread post by Hell knight »

Yeh you can have both gun Brothers phase world source book , abilities 1 bio borg conversion 2 other bio wizard gifts 20% additional bio borg powers , 20% magic tattoos ,10% symbiotic organism , 6% genetic experimentation resulting in mutants see heroes unlimited . just a quick summery .
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Just exercise some commonsense and be aware of unexpected consequences and side effects(especially if you have a cruelly imaginative GM). Having, for example, a high gene-tweaked healing factor is all very good, but if combined with Living Armor(which eats your flesh), it could result in a permanent state of inflammation and irritation as the Living Armor deals with the fresh flesh growing in. That could pose some problems until the parasitic covering is removed.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Gamewise, as a GM I would not allow the mixing of these thing due to the munchification path the players wants to go down is not allowed in any game I would run. If the GM wants a 'special' opponent...*shrugs* what is allowable is up to them.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

While theoretically you could combine them, doing so would be up to the GM.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”