Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:14 pm

D-Bee

Something occured to me. Are bio-wizardry and genetic engineering (Gene-Splicer/Gene-Tech/Eugenics from PU2/etc) compatible? And if they are... is the limit of 3 Bio-wizard augmentations before one becomes a partial bio-borg OCC stackable with genetic engineering modifications? I can see it a few ways;

1: Bio-wizardry and Genetic Engineering are incompatible, Any lifeform can have one or the other.

2: They can be combined, but the limit on Bio-wizardry before bio-borg conversion also applies to genetic engineering as well.

3: The Bio-Wizard limit is only for bio wizardry, and genetic modifications (tech based) do not count towards it.

So say if a person had a number of genetic modifications (Say extra PP, increased SDC, and and electrical discharge), and then tried to get a pair of Eyes of Eylor, what would happen?

Honestly I can see it being either of the three options listed, my own instinct is to go with number 2.

Any suggestions?

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:44 am

Champion

Comment: They/Them
A character could have more than 3 genetic modifications, so having them just share the same counter would prohibit potential results found in game. I'd probably just go with option 3, with the caveat that people shouldn't try to power game things outside games pegged to that sort of power level.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:01 am

Monk

Comment: The Munchkin Fairy
Option 3. Genetic modifications do not count as bio wizardy and do not count towards caps.

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:43 am

Palladin

Nothing says that GE and BW are incompatible on a basic level. Limits and Restrictions for either one still applies and do not count against each other (basically #3). Now I could see some examples of BW preventing further GE from being done (possibly even any for simplicity), and not all BW options are necessarily compatible with a GE subject (some do have Host Requirements, and no amount of GE is likely to overcome).

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:24 pm

D-Bee

Thanks Nekira, upon thinking it over I tend to agree with you wholeheartedly.

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:12 am

Hero

Comment: Arrrrgggghhhh!
yeah I think Mindwerks does both, right?

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:11 am

D-Bee

I do not think Mindwerks does either. All of their minions/goons/experiments are either M.O.M. based, Psynetic tech (Development of M.O.M.) or cybernetic/bionic. No real mention of either genetic engineering or bio-wizardry.

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:16 am

Explorer

Yeh you can have both gun Brothers phase world source book , abilities 1 bio borg conversion 2 other bio wizard gifts 20% additional bio borg powers , 20% magic tattoos ,10% symbiotic organism , 6% genetic experimentation resulting in mutants see heroes unlimited . just a quick summery .

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:54 am

Priest

Just exercise some commonsense and be aware of unexpected consequences and side effects(especially if you have a cruelly imaginative GM). Having, for example, a high gene-tweaked healing factor is all very good, but if combined with Living Armor(which eats your flesh), it could result in a permanent state of inflammation and irritation as the Living Armor deals with the fresh flesh growing in. That could pose some problems until the parasitic covering is removed.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------