Board index » MDC Worlds » Rifts®

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:03 pm

D-Bee

Hello

I'm making a geologist/miner and i'm wondering if there was a occ that fits in one of the books or rifters. Or would the rogue scholar/scientist be the best option?

Thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:46 pm

Hero

there was the slave borg miner but I am not sure how detailed it is.

I thought there was a prospector occ in new west

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:59 pm

Palladin

There is a Mining Full Conversion Cyborg OCC in Rifts WB14 New West that is geared toward the labor aspect of mining. Said class sectioned title is "Mining 'Borg/Prospector O.C.C."

You also have the Warlock OCC (Earth focus) with the right skills and Elemental spell selection could do a geology easily enough (+10% to science and technical skills). Stone Master OCC (WB2) might also work.

Depending on just what you mean by "geologist/miner", I would also take a look at some races as they might have abilities to complement the Warlock/Stone Master. Dwarves for example are the standard for subterrain races in terms of underground skills (like navigation, architecture, etc).

AFAIK there has never been an official Geology Skill in Rifts/Palladium (I know the licensed-out Manhunter Book actually has a Geology Skill) for general use (there might be a special skill for a given class/race, but off hand I can't think of any). Which means you'll likely have to combine a few existing skills from Science (Ocean Geographic Surveying, found in SB4/WB7 under new skills) and/or Technical (Mining, Gemology) or Wilderness Survival (Land Navigation, Dowsing), so you might have to look at classes that grant (high) bonuses those skill categories (+10% at least).

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:07 pm

D-Bee

ShadowLogan wrote:
There is a Mining Full Conversion Cyborg OCC in Rifts WB14 New West that is geared toward the labor aspect of mining. Said class sectioned title is "Mining 'Borg/Prospector O.C.C."

You also have the Warlock OCC (Earth focus) with the right skills and Elemental spell selection could do a geology easily enough (+10% to science and technical skills). Stone Master OCC (WB2) might also work.

Depending on just what you mean by "geologist/miner", I would also take a look at some races as they might have abilities to complement the Warlock/Stone Master. Dwarves for example are the standard for subterrain races in terms of underground skills (like navigation, architecture, etc).

AFAIK there has never been an official Geology Skill in Rifts/Palladium (I know the licensed-out Manhunter Book actually has a Geology Skill) for general use (there might be a special skill for a given class/race, but off hand I can't think of any). Which means you'll likely have to combine a few existing skills from Science (Ocean Geographic Surveying, found in SB4/WB7 under new skills) and/or Technical (Mining, Gemology) or Wilderness Survival (Land Navigation, Dowsing), so you might have to look at classes that grant (high) bonuses those skill categories (+10% at least).

I was assuming to have to combine a few skills. I'll checkout those 3 occs. thanks

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:10 pm

Voice of the Gateway

Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
New West has the mining borg/prospector occ. You don't need to be a borg to be the class itself, but given the dangers of mining most are.

Unread postPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:41 pm

Priest

Vagabond Scout for your low-end fortune seeker, Wilderness Scout for your far-travellin' mountain man(or woman), Rogue Scientist for your 'we do this scientifically' approach.

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:47 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: Tasty
I'm not sure how helpful it'll be, but there is a specific mining/miner OCC in Fantasy WB 13 Hinterlands, page 172. I figure it'll at least give you a starting point if you start changing skills and abilities.

Smiling_Bandit - Would never spend time in a mine, he just is cognizant of all that weight above his head

Alright this next test may involve trace amounts of time travel. So word of advice: if you meet yourself on the testing track don't make eye contact. Lab boys tell me that'll wipe out time - entirely. Forward and backward. So do both of yourselves a favor and let that handsome devil go about his business.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:17 am

Knight

All Geologists on Rifts Earth were turned into Earth Children......

In one of the SDC books with real world occupations I am fairly certain their is "geologist" program, but I can't remember which. I'm guessing Dead Reign?

The forementioned Mining Borg is a good basis for skills. A few I would want to add to the mix depending on exactly what you want the character to do.....Advanced Math, Biology, Botany, Gemology, Chemistry, Analytical Chem, Literacy, Spelunking, especially if you are going the Rogue Scientist route.

Somewhere Archie 3 has a sort of prospector robot that might be worth taking a look at. I "think" it is in Rifts SB 1 revised, but I could be wrong.

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:23 am

Knight

I think the stone master OCC, in Atlantis and secretes of Atlanteons would make a good geologist/miner.Mage with strong connection to stone and gems. Able to make tunnels without the use of tools, mold stone, move stone and immune to earth/mineral toxins. Has knowledge gemology and lore of choice.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:15 pm

Adventurer

to be the odd man out, the vagabond has access to all the skills you'd need to be a geologist. it might not have special bonuses, but it's geology not neurosurgery. the rocks are hardly going to spoil if you take the time needed to make sure of your fndings.

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:20 pm

Knight

I took a quick re-look at the UE Wilderness Scout and the variants in Dino Swamp, and any of those would work with a little tweaking. The Wilderness Scout could use a few more science options, but I do like cartography for a geologist.

Unread postPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:17 pm

Adventurer

Mining 'Borgs and Vagabonds.

Unread postPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:13 pm

Adventurer

cbrekkas wrote:
Hello

I'm making a geologist/miner and i'm wondering if there was a occ that fits in one of the books or rifters. Or would the rogue scholar/scientist be the best option?

Thanks

Rifter 28, page 51. Geo-Scout OCC; Official Source Material cut from China 2 for space considerations.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:21 am

Knight

Todd Yoho wrote:
cbrekkas wrote:
Hello

Thanks

Rifter 28, page 51. Geo-Scout OCC; Official Source Material cut from China 2 for space considerations.

Would they be appropriate outside of china?

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:55 am

Hero

Blue_Lion wrote:
Todd Yoho wrote:
cbrekkas wrote:
Hello

Thanks

Would they be appropriate outside of china?

after skimming it? yes with a few minor tweaks such as ignoring the typical chinese languages, swapping the Hand to hand to something more generic and possibly adjusting the equipment and the fact that they have an option for a "deamon armor" ability

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:03 am

Priest

guardiandashi wrote:
after skimming it? yes with a few minor tweaks such as ignoring the typical chinese languages, swapping the Hand to hand to something more generic and possibly adjusting the equipment and the fact that they have an option for a "deamon armor" ability

I'd substitute 'light exoskeleton' or 'light power armor' for "deamon armor" ...something light enough to get around in, strong enough to move heavy rock samples, and stiff enough to save you from being crushed in a cave-in or land-slide.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:05 pm

Hero

taalismn wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:

I'd substitute 'light exoskeleton' or 'light power armor' for "deamon armor" ...something light enough to get around in, strong enough to move heavy rock samples, and stiff enough to save you from being crushed in a cave-in or land-slide.

the way I read it its like a demonic version of the cyberknight armor, but that would work, although their pilot skills as written pretty much ban robots and power armor skills

Unread postPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:18 pm

Priest

guardiandashi wrote:
[
the way I read it its like a demonic version of the cyberknight armor, but that would work, although their pilot skills as written pretty much ban robots and power armor skills

Light exoskeletons like the Triax T-11.Coalition CA-8EX, and the Japanese IA-130 Sumo can be worn and operated without a Power Armor skill. I believe that Northern Gun might have a light exoskeleton armor out as well in there recent books, and Naruni too. Only a matter of time before other Black Market groups make their own knockoffs, specially if there's a good market for the type.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:33 am

Hero

Don’t forget about the cybernetic shovel hand!

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:50 am

Priest

abe wrote:
Don’t forget about the cybernetic shovel hand!

Which does NOT make you a geologist or a miner. It just makes you more efficient at shoveling/troweling...whatever.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:35 am

Palladin

taalismn wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:
[

Light exoskeletons like the Triax T-11.Coalition CA-8EX, and the Japanese IA-130 Sumo can be worn and operated without a Power Armor skill. I believe that Northern Gun might have a light exoskeleton armor out as well in there recent books, and Naruni too. Only a matter of time before other Black Market groups make their own knockoffs, specially if there's a good market for the type.

Non-PA Skilled Exo-Skeletons:
-Naruni NE-BA-40 and -55 (DB8 pg40-1)
-Japanese AT-A15 (WB8 pg183-4)
-Japanese IA-130 Sumo (WB8 pg185)
-Triax TXD-8 (WB7 pg193)
-Bear Body Armor (WB17 pg174-5)
-Triax T-11 (WB5 pg35)
-CS CA-6EX (WB11 pg102)
-NG-EX10 Gladius (Mercenearies pg101-2)
-Servo-Harness (Naruni is in DB8 pg42, Russian is WB17 pg178) that might count here
-IINM they are also used by Icarus Flight System-style (WB10) platforms the Naruni make (DB8, Quad-Wing) and the CS make (WB13, Death-Wing) Jet Packs for normal humans to be able to use them.
-I want to say Russia also uses them on the "Goblin"-Wing platforms
-the Russian MM-61 on pg176-7 of WB17 might also count.

Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:33 am

Explorer

Comment: Promoting great storytelling fiction and in games, for GMs and players alike.
Late to the discussion, but if the Legacy Scout isn't one of the primary OCCs up for discussion, you should be keen to look at Rogue Scholar or Scientists. Bonus is none of them are specifically tied to a region of Rifts Earth.

http://www.scholarlyadventures.com/blog [A Rifts RPG Blog]