What IF BIG IF we add a ,,, to ATL-7 Anti-Tank Laser Rifle

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

hup7
Wanderer

Re: What IF BIG IF we add a ,,, to ATL-7 Anti-Tank Laser Rif

Unread post by hup7 »

As previously mentioned "heat" is one issue the book mentions. Sure, you "can" do it but firing more than 3 or 4 times per round will probably cause long term damage. I would look at addressing the heat issue first - operator to add some sort of cooling system. If you want to go TW, cooling is pretty easy.

After that, crew support weapon (to use their actions to swap out clips) or multiple e-clips seem like an easier option, isn't the 'canister' something already designed for that?

I won't mention the "the device rapid fires the Sub-Particle Acceleration spell three times" - IF your GM allows a device to rapid fire spells; then there are more broken options than Sub-Particle Acceleration. I mean EVEN using that spell it would inflict 3d6x10 + 3 / level anyhow? Why bother trying to power something, just use the spell itself. vOv Or for that matter: why not rapid fire the spell 4 times (4d6x10+4/level) or 5 times (5d6x10+5/level)?
MadGreenSon
Explorer

Unread post by MadGreenSon »

hup7 wrote:As previously mentioned "heat" is one issue the book mentions. Sure, you "can" do it but firing more than 3 or 4 times per round will probably cause long term damage. I would look at addressing the heat issue first - operator to add some sort of cooling system. If you want to go TW, cooling is pretty easy.

After that, crew support weapon (to use their actions to swap out clips) or multiple e-clips seem like an easier option, isn't the 'canister' something already designed for that?

I won't mention the "the device rapid fires the Sub-Particle Acceleration spell three times" - IF your GM allows a device to rapid fire spells; then there are more broken options than Sub-Particle Acceleration. I mean EVEN using that spell it would inflict 3d6x10 + 3 / level anyhow? Why bother trying to power something, just use the spell itself. vOv Or for that matter: why not rapid fire the spell 4 times (4d6x10+4/level) or 5 times (5d6x10+5/level)?

With Techno Wizard crafting you really have to have a GM who's committed to maintaining a certain degree of plausibility and sanity to your actions. It's too easy to fall into the No Limits Fallacy otherwise.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

Why bother? As has been pointed out there are many pulse weapons that are much more efficient. I would submit that is this weapon is not in use by Triax even though Triax has preRifts tech.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Throw caution to the wind. Get the 10 e-clip backpack used by the CAF in PW. 10 shots boom boom boom.

Honestly, in my games we always limited this by saying it would overheat. The gun was expensive and rare to begin with, and if you talked the GM into letting you get your hands on it the gun would.....disappear quickly if you abused it by trying to making it a rapid fire weapon. I always viewed this as a anti-tank rifle, more like a recoilless rifle, or reloadable shoulder fired missile then as a Barrett.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

What if, and this is silly common, an ATL-7 were used by a Mystic knight?

RAW, I believe said knight becomes the most powerful kid on the leyline, am I right?

Return to “Rifts®”