secret tech ..

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

oger333
Explorer

secret tech ..

Unread post by oger333 »

so thought there cant be just one secret group.. with magic or advance tech ... aka nuke/fusion power cells nano-factories thoughts ideas
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Re: secret tech ..

Unread post by filo_clarke »

In Dead Reign? In my opinion, the setting appears to mirror our current world. There are definitely companies that are researching such things, but do I suspect that there are secret groups that have developed working "ultra-tech"? Probably not.

Consider the idea of funding. Any group that could potentially develop advanced technology would need funds and resources to make it happen. This doesn't just mean having a wealthy backer, but also hiring the brightest minds to work on the projects, and buying cutting edge equipment and facilities to build it. It's the whole "who built the volcano-lair" or "who built the bat-cave" conundrum. Even companies / organizations that have the capital to pioneer "secret" scientific research would still have to have a certain amount of transparency to their stakeholders. For instance, Alphabet, the parent company of Google is involved in lots of "experimental" projects, including self-driving cars, green energy technology, and AI research. But while these projects are often touted as "secret" they are actually well known about and documented, because in order to invest billions of dollars into something, a company has to declare those investments to its shareholders. Private individuals would also find their activities under scrutiny thanks to banking regulations, tax statements, and other documentation, which would shine a light on most large-scale R&D activities. Just simple things like having to issue W-2 forms for employees would make "secret" projects difficult to conceal.

So, do I think it is possible that a "secret" organization has developed world-changing technology, covertly, and is using it for its own motives while the rest of the planet is blissfully unaware? I guess it is possible, but do I think it is likely? No, not even remotely.

As for magic? Who knows. The setting has not dealt with much "supernatural" or "magical" content, outside of the zombies themselves, so I don't have any reason to suspect that such things are likely to exist. However, as magic is truly a "wild card" in the Megaverse, a single, high-level magic user could indeed make truly epic creations with little resources required. From golems, to magic weapons, to even techno-wizard or cybermage devices.
oger333
Explorer

Unread post by oger333 »

the modification of current tech for killing zombies or . advanced secret tech . aka government classified programs. collages lab tech that could be preceded.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

If we are talking "super tech" being something like a bullets that are quieter(like sub sonics) to keep more and more zombies coming, or a shotgun shell tweaked to be a better match for a zombie enemy then sure, I can see government groups, or research labs coming up with this. Even something like a zombie "scent" that keeps dumb zombies from noting you, or use of military grade drones. I don't see them being things like laser rifles.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Kargan3033
Hero

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

RockJock wrote:If we are talking "super tech" being something like a bullets that are quieter(like sub sonics) to keep more and more zombies coming, or a shotgun shell tweaked to be a better match for a zombie enemy then sure, I can see government groups, or research labs coming up with this. Even something like a zombie "scent" that keeps dumb zombies from noting you, or use of military grade drones. I don't see them being things like laser rifles.

It has been hinted at in the last few DR source books that their is no government left but the books did hint in a round about way that there are still some kind of government enclaves left over even though they were not fleshed out, leaving it to each GM to decide if there is any kind of government left so it fairly safe to say that there is some left overs of the world's governments with advanced tech so I don't see why there would not be some super tech in the game, look at real life the world's government are working on directed energy weapons, how far long such research is, is anyone guess so it might be a bit of a stretch but low powered and finicky energy weapons with a low payload could be worked into the game as well as advanced combat(environmental battle armor)or experimental power armor.

Long and the shorts of it is that it's up to each GM to decide if secret super tech is in the game or not as well as what kinds of *super* tech is in the game(s)
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "

Return to “Dead Reign™”