Nuclear power plant meltdowns?

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kargan3033
Hero

Nuclear power plant meltdowns?

Unread post by Kargan3033 »

With the destruction of human civilization the rise of the brain munching undeads looking for *Mobile Trial Mix* you would think that with of the known and unknown nuclear power plants that more then a few of them would have melted down and creating huge areas of radioactive contamination worse then the melt downs in the former U.S.S.R. and more recently Japan, from the ad I saw for Hell Followed on PB's latest releases page that Hell Followed covers disasters such as toxic spills and what not I was wondering if that book covers nuclear power plant meltdowns.

Hmm new zombie type, The Glowing Ones/Rad Zombies?
" Ale and Whores, it's not just your reward, it's your Motivation. "
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Nuclear power plant meltdowns?

Unread post by eliakon »

Kargan3033 wrote:With the destruction of human civilization the rise of the brain munching undeads looking for *Mobile Trial Mix* you would think that with of the known and unknown nuclear power plants that more then a few of them would have melted down and creating huge areas of radioactive contamination worse then the melt downs in the former U.S.S.R. and more recently Japan, from the ad I saw for Hell Followed on PB's latest releases page that Hell Followed covers disasters such as toxic spills and what not I was wondering if that book covers nuclear power plant meltdowns.

I would doubt that you would get a melt down.
Even if the Wave were to take out every single person in a plant, they are built with a LOT of safety systems and redundancies.
Unless there was a catastrophic failure of all of those systems the plant would simply go into shutdown.

Causing a plant to melt down requires either deliberate action (Chernobyl) or some sort of external destructive event (Fukushima)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Kargan3033
Hero

eliakon wrote:
Kargan3033 wrote:With the destruction of human civilization the rise of the brain munching undeads looking for *Mobile Trial Mix* you would think that with of the known and unknown nuclear power plants that more then a few of them would have melted down and creating huge areas of radioactive contamination worse then the melt downs in the former U.S.S.R. and more recently Japan, from the ad I saw for Hell Followed on PB's latest releases page that Hell Followed covers disasters such as toxic spills and what not I was wondering if that book covers nuclear power plant meltdowns.

I would doubt that you would get a melt down.
Even if the Wave were to take out every single person in a plant, they are built with a LOT of safety systems and redundancies.
Unless there was a catastrophic failure of all of those systems the plant would simply go into shutdown.

Causing a plant to melt down requires either deliberate action (Chernobyl) or some sort of external destructive event (Fukushima)

Ok then thanks for the info, it was just a though but you do have to admit a radioactive zombie would be kind of cool, maybe there was a leak at a nuclear waste site?
Unfortunate Son
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: When the Dead Walk, blare Misfits and kill 'em all.

Unread post by Unfortunate Son »

We do have a radioactive zombie. Hell Followed brought us some nice ****. Like the loot piñata zombie.
Ya... Tact and social skills are not my Strong suit. Now infuriating folks, I am 15th lvl.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

they tend to be designed as fail safe.. when stuff goes wrong, they tend to SCRAM automatically unless that is overridded. and even if they do melt down, the containment vessel around the reactor will contain it, and failing that, the containment building around that will.

and that is using the old designs. if it is a newer one, they have such a small chance of getting hot enough to melt down at all that it wouldn't be an issue.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

This was covered in an episode of Life After People:

1 day after people, Without any people around to use the electricity they produce, nuclear power plants shut down into a safe mode to avert a possible meltdown of the reactor.

10 days after people, Every 18 months the uranium fuel rods in the reactor core stops producing enough energy to sustain a nuclear reaction and must be replaced. When the fuel rods are removed they are dangerously hot, up to 2000 degrees, and must be placed in cooling pools. The fuel rods were kept in these pools for ten years before they could be safely removed. There is actually more radiation contained in the cooling pools than there is in the reactor. It takes 40 feet of water maintained at below 120 degrees to keep the fuel rods from overheating. Now the heat of the fuel rods has boiled all the water away and the fuel rods catch fire and burn. The equivalent of 20 cores worth of radiation is released into the environment and nothing is safe for miles.

1 year after people, The areas around nuclear power plants have been devastated. There are now large irradiated dead zones for up to a mile radius around nuclear power plants.

175 years after people, The cooling pool fires at nuclear power plants went out long ago and life has returned to the dead zones. The power plants themselves are now structurally unstable. The most iconic structures in a nuclear power plant were the cooling towers. A steel lattice ring at the base supports the 50 foot tall concrete cooling tower but after nearly two centuries of corrosion the steel lattice ring doesn’t have any strength left. The cooling towers now fail at the base and tip over and humanity’s mighty power plants of the future are reduced to rubble.
Kargan3033
Hero

The Beast wrote:This was covered in an episode of Life After People:

1 day after people, Without any people around to use the electricity they produce, nuclear power plants shut down into a safe mode to avert a possible meltdown of the reactor.

10 days after people, Every 18 months the uranium fuel rods in the reactor core stops producing enough energy to sustain a nuclear reaction and must be replaced. When the fuel rods are removed they are dangerously hot, up to 2000 degrees, and must be placed in cooling pools. The fuel rods were kept in these pools for ten years before they could be safely removed. There is actually more radiation contained in the cooling pools than there is in the reactor. It takes 40 feet of water maintained at below 120 degrees to keep the fuel rods from overheating. Now the heat of the fuel rods has boiled all the water away and the fuel rods catch fire and burn. The equivalent of 20 cores worth of radiation is released into the environment and nothing is safe for miles.

1 year after people, The areas around nuclear power plants have been devastated. There are now large irradiated dead zones for up to a mile radius around nuclear power plants.

175 years after people, The cooling pool fires at nuclear power plants went out long ago and life has returned to the dead zones. The power plants themselves are now structurally unstable. The most iconic structures in a nuclear power plant were the cooling towers. A steel lattice ring at the base supports the 50 foot tall concrete cooling tower but after nearly two centuries of corrosion the steel lattice ring doesn’t have any strength left. The cooling towers now fail at the base and tip over and humanity’s mighty power plants of the future are reduced to rubble.

Nice, thanks for the info, got something nasty planed.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

The book actually covers Nuclear explosions

And

(Separately)

Power plant failures. Including nuclear.

It's in there.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...

Return to “Dead Reign™”