Smartphones for the Zombie Apocalypse

You are on your own. The Army is MIA and our government is gone! There are no communications of any kind. Cities and towns have gone dark, and zombies fill the streets. The dead have risen and it would seem to be the end of the world. Help me, Mommy!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Smartphones for the Zombie Apocalypse

Unread post by whassupman03 »

Hello...

Upon seeing how useful smartphones can be in a dire situation, I was wondering if anyone has thought of how they can be a useful tool for characters in Dead Reign. Like the saying "There's an app for that," there are a lot of apps and capabilities that you can add to your smartphone. Remember - even smartphones can still be useful without cell service, wi-fi, or wireless connections of any kind, and a lot of apps can be used offline. In addition, I can perceive that clever scroungers can cobble up ways for the phones to receive and transmit signals of all kinds even without surviving infrastructure. One can add a radio function to a smartphone to operate RC cars and planes, for example (And you can use them as drones, perhaps with offensive capabilities... :D). What would you do with your smartphones after the Wave? Feel free to share your thoughts. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good afternoon.

whassupman03 8)
I don't normally kill zombies, but when I do, I use the...

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gamer
Adventurer

Re: Smartphones for the Zombie Apocalypse

Unread post by Gamer »

If you still have enough resources to keep your smart phone going, you should be able to set up your own wifi area of service, it's not that hard to set up especially with all the spare equipment laying about.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Can't they be used as remote detonators for explosives?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Gamer wrote:If you still have enough resources to keep your smart phone going, you should be able to set up your own wifi area of service, it's not that hard to set up especially with all the spare equipment laying about.

Agreed Gamer. With all the spare equipment available, all you would need is a trickle of electrical power and the know-how to set it up, maintain it, and repair it when necessary.

J.L. Duncan wrote:They make a decent light source in a pinch... (such as a zombie apocalypse setting) :wink:

That's true - there are plenty of pre-Wave flashlight apps that can set a smartphone up as a light source, and some of them can be set to blink for a sort of strobe setting. In addition, some phones come with built-in apps that can do the same, such as the real-life Samsung Galaxy series, which I am a big fan of by the way. :-D

Tor wrote:Can't they be used as remote detonators for explosives?

Yes - the good ol' cell phone detonator trick is widely used in fiction and in real life, but the question that we must answer is whether it will work if the cell towers are not functioning. From my recollection, you need to "call" the detonator to set it off, which in theory requires phone service. Call me old-fashioned, but some people used beepers as well to "beep" it in. Personally, I wonder if you can pull the trick off post-Wave if someone added radio capabilities to the device... any thoughts? But anyway I have to go, so please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Gamer
Adventurer

Unread post by Gamer »

You can still use wifi capable or wifi only phones for remote detonating
There are so many millions of wifi 'toys' out there that it is very easy to retask them into a detonator.

As I said setting up a wifi network system has so many uses and is so easy to do (kids are even doing it more and more now).
We have a few solar wifi repeaters here where I'm at so power use is pretty much dealt with, and have seen more places using these things to help cut costs but increase capability.

I'd save the cellphone battery and build up LED flashlights, it's not like there aren't millions of products out there with these things attached to them or a billion of the LED flashlights out there already.
Build a few to a hat/helmet with a simple mouth activated switch and you are totally hands free for your adventuring needs.
LED flashlights are so insanely easy to make it isn't funny and they draw so very little power.
Dulce bellum inexpertis.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Gamer wrote:You can still use wifi capable or wifi only phones for remote detonating
There are so many millions of wifi 'toys' out there that it is very easy to retask them into a detonator.

As I said setting up a wifi network system has so many uses and is so easy to do (kids are even doing it more and more now).
We have a few solar wifi repeaters here where I'm at so power use is pretty much dealt with, and have seen more places using these things to help cut costs but increase capability.

I'd save the cellphone battery and build up LED flashlights, it's not like there aren't millions of products out there with these things attached to them or a billion of the LED flashlights out there already.
Build a few to a hat/helmet with a simple mouth activated switch and you are totally hands free for your adventuring needs.
LED flashlights are so insanely easy to make it isn't funny and they draw so very little power.

Good thoughts Gamer. Wi-Fi is definitely getting easier to set up, and remote detonation with it. And by using LED flashlights for lighting, they would be useful, especially if they are used in a hands-free "headlamp" manner. :wink:

Speaking of power and light, I would like to redirect you to a great article about supplying near-endless power for computing, communications, light, and other things. By referencing this article at http://graywolfsurvival.com/3308/unlimited-power-bug-bag-electronics/, you can find an effective setup to do so. I found that such a setup, while complicated, would easily be sustainable, and with the right components, can provide light through other means.

Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a great afternoon.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

J.L. Duncan wrote:And don't forget (including tablets) most have E-readers. One might be able to download some useful information from a computer and perhaps provide a (temporary)bonus to skills etc...

Good point. Also, smartphones can be programmed to read the books one would have on an Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, etc., as long as they have the right app. The fun part is that usually, the app is free straight from the manufacturer of the E-readers, so you don't have to invest a lot of money into an E-reader if you have a smartphone and all you want to do is read books (BTW, that's the way huh huh I do it... :clown:). In addition, such E-readers and associated apps may be used as a sort of Enigma machine, where one can use book ciphers to get messages across when you don't want them to get to the wrong people (Not to mention that book ciphers are very hard to break...).[sup]1[/sup] What's great about E-readers is that if you use book ciphers, you can use matching sets of books to establish a sort of rotating book code, which uses a different book every time to make the book code even harder to break. You just have to have the same set of books on every E-reader or smartphone. Still, just about any file can be loaded onto a smartphone or tablet, and read with the right app, so you can easily store a lot of useful information for survival purposes. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

[1]: Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_cipher

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

ICHIBAN11 wrote:The Big problem would be; what happens when the cell network goes down? In the begining the voice network would be overwelmed and then the text network. I think data would also be lagging.

After words the internet would start to suffer so even though you could make contact via a smart phone if it needs the app needs access to the internet it wouldn't be as effective as before.

Good Apps would be GPS, compass, books down loaded onto the drive.

I can see a safe haven setting up an insternal network using smart phones and wifi routers linked to a bank of computers to store and access information that they find and save.

I agree entirely - the severity of the Wave would affect cell service and the Internet and may hinder the use of smartphones worldwide. :-) The key to using smartphones and other related devices post-wave would definitely be something like you proposed ICHIBAN11, with the use of internal networks using common WiFi equipment and computers. Still, I tend to think that a well-equipped and knowledgeable group of survivors may attempt to restart a few cell towers to provide cell service within a limited area. While my knowledge of the infrastructure behind cell service is limited, it may allow you to use the phones to communicate via standard cell communications as well. And you also have to remember that some phones may be able to make calls through WiFi connections if there is a lack of cell phone infrastructure. Cell phones like the Samsung Galaxy S4 have this feature. Even so, groups that have equivalent knowledge in other areas such as programming can create their own apps to operate in a world without cell service or the Internet, or at least they can reprogram pre-Wave apps to do the same... after all, software piracy wouldn't be a prosecutable crime these days. :wink: Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :mrgreen:

P.S.: By the way, I think it was said in one of the Dead Reign books as a quote by a character that someone could access the Internet in some areas, but in my opinion it would probably be a tiny little chunk of it, and very hard to access... :roll:

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Here's a fun box of toys to implement post-Wave...

http://www.servalproject.org/

...I thought that all of you might like this one, as food for thought. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
TiekoSora
Explorer
Comment: I've made my saving throw to disbelieve.

Unread post by TiekoSora »

It would be a great way to relay recorded messages as well. Using a simple solar recharger and established "safe houses", survivors could record and leave messages for friends or teammates. And as mentioned before, any survivalist worth his salt would have already downloaded numerous e-books regarding survival, from gardening to hazardous and beneficial botany, to trapping, skinning, and other tasks.
They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

ICHIBAN11 wrote:Imagine finding a smartphone and seeing all of the pictures on it.

The psychological affect on the PC's would make a good story.

There could be a video diary from a survivor telling where resourses are hidden, a safe place to hide or researce information.

That's great! Such would be good to add flavor to a Dead Reign story, and would also be useful for a campaign. :-) But anyway, good idea.

TiekoSora wrote:It would be a great way to relay recorded messages as well. Using a simple solar recharger and established "safe houses", survivors could record and leave messages for friends or teammates. And as mentioned before, any survivalist worth his salt would have already downloaded numerous e-books regarding survival, from gardening to hazardous and beneficial botany, to trapping, skinning, and other tasks.

Nifty! It's great for a regional or national network of survivors (Like the Road Reapers or the Shepherds of the Damned...) to use such a strategy to leave messages for both their people and others, especially if there is some sort of clandestine element of the network. :-D Anyway, both of your ideas are definitely blinding flashes of the obvious for me. Even so, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :D

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

ICHIBAN11 wrote:As play on the old play by mail setup, a GM (as an NPC) and the players could use thier smart phones to comunicate with each other. Back when PDAs were used there was an idea about leaving messages on it for the players to find.

As of right now I'm allowing my players to use apps that connect to the internet since it is with the first week of the apocalyps. It has been very useful to them.

Yeah, I can understand that. Currently, I have been toying with the idea of a team of amateur hackers or other computer experts downloading and archiving large amounts of data and software during the most serious effects of the Wave to prepare in case the Internet goes down. If I remember correctly, according to canon most people could access the Internet for a few weeks after the dead rose, and even after the Internet went down it was a rare sight indeed for someone to access small parts of the Internet (But I really don't know how - my closest hypothesis is that they would be able to access Internet server farms if they were on-site...).

Downloading as many apps, software, and documents would have been very useful in the long run because someone could put it to use later on, at least in a smaller scale. Also, a lot of stuff can be accessed free on the Internet - and legally in real life. One can archive YouTube videos for both instructional and recreational purposes, download free books and manuals, and obtain free software and apps as well. With a little money, one can also buy movies, music, and books as well, if they can't be legally accessed in a free manner, though legality wouldn't mean much if anything when it can't be enforced, especially when the authorities are preoccupied with the dead.

Even so, an adept team could also trace the physical locations of various servers around the world and mark their locations on a map for future recovery, if one were to rebuild the Internet. However, it would most definitely be a masterful challenge at the very least, quite possibly on the scale of the Manhattan Project. Finally, all of this can be done while monitoring the situation around the world, so they can learn as much as possible before one of our greatest accomplishments as a civilization disappears. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
GrampaAllen
D-Bee

Unread post by GrampaAllen »

I work in the cellular field; the problem with the towers is that they all connect back to the switch through land lines by and large, when that equipment goes down your out of business.
However if you have the right software and knowledge some equipment can be put in test mode allowing it to route calls between a small number of handsets aka cell phones. That would let you build a micro network with about a 3 mile radius.
If you could get the power on at a switch you could link up sites using microwave shots like how the clearwire network works no land lines nothing to cut.
But Cellular equipment uses a lot of power.
All cell sites have battery or generator power most can run for 24-72 hours before they crap out. (so a good place for deep cell batteries for your scavengers)
GrampaAllen
D-Bee

GrampaAllen
D-Bee

whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

I will counter these with two of my own:

1. http://survivalblog.com/technology_today_by_kclo4/
2. http://survivalblog.com/using_your_smart_phone_as_a_su/

Anyway, please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

I think this fits in with the subject matter.

8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Not to establish crossover material, but has anyone ever thought of a Dead Reign character or party of characters turning a number of smartphones into "toolbox" smartphones like they did with the Pip-Boy from Fallout fandom or the super-smartphone from the upcoming sequel to Homefront, Homefront: The Revolution? Such was my inspiration to establish this thread, counting out forum violations of course. :wink: With these toolbox smartphones, one could of course have access to cameras for both photo and video purposes, databases full of information, scanners to acquire surviving radio signals or otherwise, remote-control systems to control devices from afar, and other nifty tools.

They could be created while the Internet is still up, which would be for a few weeks into the Wave, and a lot of the necessary apps can operate offline as well. Even so, other apps may require a little bit of modification to the phones, unless there are ways to access networks or infrastructure thought to be long dead, such as those reestablished by reconstruction efforts. A toolkit smartphone could be made available with an accessory pack, which includes various chargers and battery packs, additional memory cards and sync cables, headsets and speakers, and other things (Defensive stun guns can even be integrated with these phones, and the batteries can act as secondary power sources for the phones... :D[sup]1[/sup]), and the phone itself could be protected by a heavy-duty case like a real-life OtterBox or an in-game version built by a fictional company of the GM's creation (In addition, accessories would be best kept in a Pelican case or similar... :-)[sup]3[/sup])[sup]2[/sup].

But anyway, that is all I have to say now, so I have to go. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 8)

[1]: Source: http://www.yellowjacketcase.com/
[2]: Source: http://www.otterbox.com/
[3]: Source: http://www.pelican.com/

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.
Sun Phoenix
D-Bee

Unread post by Sun Phoenix »

There's an app called FireChat that allows mobile devices to use alternate networks to cellular. I can see it being quite useful, provided that the devices can be charged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireChat
whassupman03
Dungeon Crawler

Hello...

Sun Phoenix wrote:There's an app called FireChat that allows mobile devices to use alternate networks to cellular. I can see it being quite useful, provided that the devices can be charged.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireChat

Neat! FireChat would definitely be useful post-Wave, especially in areas with surviving IT infrastructure. My personal preference when it comes to technologies and history is that the Wave happens in mid- to late-2012. I usually combine some of the material from The Rifter with that of the actual game, such as elements of the timeline for instance. That means that when I come up with ideas that predate the Wave, they have to exist before July 2012 (Or December 2012 if it happens later...), which is if I remember correctly the time when the first Wave scenario happens. As a result, I couldn't apply FireChat because it was introduced in 2014, unless one had access to the beta of course! :wink: Still, if one were to move the Wave to a point forward in time, it is definitely useful. Please take care; thanks a bunch, and have a good day.

whassupman03 :D

BOOMSTICK!

Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart.

Return to “Dead Reign™”