Board index » Across the Megaverse® » The Rifter® Forum » The Rifter® Zero.x.x Project

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:17 pm

Voice of the Gateway

Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
I'm done, projects dead. If you submitted, feel free to submit to the rifter.

Frankly, I'm am sick of volunteering for a project I didn't want to do in the first place and being everyone's bloody whipping boy for it.

Good luck.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:28 pm

Voice of the Gateway

Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Oh, for those of you who submitted forms, I'm going to burn them. So don't worry about your names, addresses or anything else falling into the wrong hands.

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Palladin

Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)
Well, thank you anyway for the work you have done. It's a shame you didnt get more.....respect and better treatment about it and I hope to see you do something Palladium related in the future.

I am one who said if you are going to do it then do it but I honestly didn't know you were getting the type of harassment you are receiving over this whole thing.

Thanks again, Rifter 0 was a masterpiece of fan based material and effort.

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:49 pm

Rifts® Trivia Master

great, and me only a day away from finishing my SkyKnight Industries Article...

* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Adventurer

Prince Artemis wrote:
I'm done, projects dead. If you submitted, feel free to submit to the rifter.

Frankly, I'm am sick of volunteering for a project I didn't want to do in the first place and being everyone's bloody whipping boy for it.

Good luck.

I certainly did not want this to happen. I just found my self asking - as many other people were. What is the delay?
Maybe I'm over simplifying this - but here is how I viewed the project.

Submissions come in. It's put together. Out it goes.
If Palladium has an issue, they will contact me or not. It turns out it was a NOT!

I too had some flak from a few fans and I laughed at them silently. I could forward a few PM's to you but it sounds like the same folks have been nagging you. I just laughed (Silently) and thanked them in the PM. (Most folks did not read the legal part of the message boards and posts - I still laugh)

I tried to rally the folks for you, to you too. Not Push you out. :eek:

Your a visionary Matt who is far ahead of the times right now. That is where most of your frustration is coming from. Your ahead of Palladium and the Fans. Unfortunately along the way you may have fell in into a trap of not communicating with the fans on your progress or issues. Not that you owe us anything. but a lack of submissions is a fair reason for delays. I bet no one knew that until now. I was told you had 300 pages by PM from one fan who really wanted to see this happen.
The next thing I just found out was you did not want to do it..... Well hey, you made your bed on that front.

I have listened to your Web cast thing at least 4 times. Stick to one thing and do it well. Your still a very valued person for the community and Palladium even if your just a volunteer. Right now if your show stops, Palladium has no communication to the fans. That would be worse then what your doing now.

Stick to that if that is your love and passion. The support is there no matter how big or small. Things grow with time.
Sorry to hear you leave the project. That is what it was a single project.
You had personalized this project too it seems. I'm happy that your focusing on the things you think matter and feel better about now. I suspect your passion will really shine in what ever you tackle full time next.

Take care.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:51 am

Champion

Prince Artemis wrote:
Oh, for those of you who submitted forms, I'm going to burn them. So don't worry about your names, addresses or anything else falling into the wrong hands.

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I'll start by saying I was saddened to hear it's canceled (again), even if not all together surprised. I had tried to offer help when possible, but won't try to convince you to stick with a project you don't want to do. After all, this should be fun (or at least some form of enjoyment), not a source of grief.

With that said, I'll ask you don't burn all the UMF yet. While I could easily print out a new UMF and submit it to the Rifter or whatever else, I know the same may not be true of everyone else. There is one other contributor (the Boxed Nightmares 2 submission which I believe RGG mentioned is 300 some pages, and I knew it was larger than mine but not THAT big) had a work compiled from several different contributors. It took him time and effort to get all the signatures required, but he's not sure if he can do it a second time. I'm just asking that you try to do anything such as burning them, as that may limit his options. I understand why you said it (because people I'm sure have complained about giving their information, etc.), but I don't think you mean it to hinder someone else's work either. So I just ask you to hold off for now, at least to give him time to contact you personally (as he may want the forms back for whatever his next step may be).

As for RGG, I believe the case with number of submissions is as follows (though I'm not official and could be wrong). Approximately 5 people submitted an article and the UMF. Two of the articles were rather large (mine being 80+ pages and the other being over 100 pages, from your last post maybe over 300!). While that does sound like a lot, there are a few issues with this. First, I believe Prince Artemis had hoped for a varied project (instead of just 5 articles, with most of that being very focused instead of a mix of talent and settings). Second, not even all of those 5 were guaranteed to be considered "quality" pieces of work, by him or by Palladium (who also had to approve everything). Let's say one (or both) of the large articles weren't deemed quality or otherwise inappropriate (maybe covering some inappropriate topics that Palladium doesn't want to touch). The whole book drops considerably in size, and suddenly may not even fill one entire book. Third, even if everything is accepted, there would be the final acceptance contracts to be signed (I believe). If only half of the people who submitted articles submitted UMF, we can't count on everyone who submitted a UMF to return the contract. So let's say one or both of those people don't return their contracts, that further decreases the size of the project. Fourth, there is the lack of art submissions I do believe.

Anyways, hopefully that didn't come off picking on anyone or sounding lecturing. I'm merely trying to explain things as I know them (I've been following this progress for a good year, probably more, since I had a submission involved as well). My words are not official, but I do believe they're accurate. I'm hoping to explain the process for a better understanding for all involved. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day to one and all. Farewell and safe journeys.

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:36 am

Voice of the Gateway

Prysus wrote:
Prince Artemis wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. Well, I'll start by saying I was saddened to hear it's canceled (again), even if not all together surprised. I had tried to offer help when possible, but won't try to convince you to stick with a project you don't want to do. After all, this should be fun (or at least some form of enjoyment), not a source of grief.

With that said, I'll ask you don't burn all the UMF yet. While I could easily print out a new UMF and submit it to the Rifter or whatever else, I know the same may not be true of everyone else. There is one other contributor (the Boxed Nightmares 2 submission which I believe RGG mentioned is 300 some pages, and I knew it was larger than mine but not THAT big) had a work compiled from several different contributors. It took him time and effort to get all the signatures required, but he's not sure if he can do it a second time. I'm just asking that you try to do anything such as burning them, as that may limit his options. I understand why you said it (because people I'm sure have complained about giving their information, etc.), but I don't think you mean it to hinder someone else's work either. So I just ask you to hold off for now, at least to give him time to contact you personally (as he may want the forms back for whatever his next step may be).

As for RGG, I believe the case with number of submissions is as follows (though I'm not official and could be wrong). Approximately 5 people submitted an article and the UMF. Two of the articles were rather large (mine being 80+ pages and the other being over 100 pages, from your last post maybe over 300!). While that does sound like a lot, there are a few issues with this. First, I believe Prince Artemis had hoped for a varied project (instead of just 5 articles, with most of that being very focused instead of a mix of talent and settings). Second, not even all of those 5 were guaranteed to be considered "quality" pieces of work, by him or by Palladium (who also had to approve everything). Let's say one (or both) of the large articles weren't deemed quality or otherwise inappropriate (maybe covering some inappropriate topics that Palladium doesn't want to touch). The whole book drops considerably in size, and suddenly may not even fill one entire book. Third, even if everything is accepted, there would be the final acceptance contracts to be signed (I believe). If only half of the people who submitted articles submitted UMF, we can't count on everyone who submitted a UMF to return the contract. So let's say one or both of those people don't return their contracts, that further decreases the size of the project. Fourth, there is the lack of art submissions I do believe.

Anyways, hopefully that didn't come off picking on anyone or sounding lecturing. I'm merely trying to explain things as I know them (I've been following this progress for a good year, probably more, since I had a submission involved as well). My words are not official, but I do believe they're accurate. I'm hoping to explain the process for a better understanding for all involved. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day to one and all. Farewell and safe journeys.

That is essentially the long and short of it, but you're half right on one thing. I wouldn't lose a submission if it was bad, but I could also lose a submission if it was too good. Seriously. If either of the two huge projects were really good then Kevin and the guys had the ability and perogative to claim it as a future project or book (s). I lost the largest submission possibility last time for that reason actually. Thus, I was looking at number of submissions, not size of submissions when determining the finished product.

Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:41 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Matt, you did a great job on Rifter 0! I am sorry some people couldn't appreciate the amount of effort it took to create a semi-official project.

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:21 am

Palladium Books® Staff

Darn it. I really enjoyed the Rifter 0 and was looking forward to the next installment. I can understand, though.

Calm, reasoned discourse is the best way to change minds; too bad all the calm & reason in the world can't open a willfully closed mind.