Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:10 pm

Knight

What are your Hardward, Vigilante, Secret Operative, Hardware ect classes carrying around with them?

Ball bearings

Taser

Mace

Throwing Knife

Combat Knife

Multi Tool

Smoke Pellets

Flash Power

Explosive Pellets

Throwing Stars

First Aid Kit

Grapnel

Laser Tool

That sort of thing.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:05 pm

Explorer

Gah, an equipment list for my average hardware character is several pages long...

hardware Mechanical/anylitical

Nano-fiber powerarmor (with a host of it's own gizmos)
Sword
fully auto shotgun
knife
swiss-army watch (digital compas, cell phone, ELTDFing equipment etc)
multi-optic sunglasses (raybans)
Souped up PDA/cell phone/mainframe
Fiber-armor clothing
Spike grappel launchers (usually at least three)
Smoke grenades (in capsule form)
Tear gass (again in capsule form)
various forms of ammunition for the above mentioned shotgun

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:33 pm

Champion

a Credit Card,
stacks of Catalogs, (to purchase necesary equipment)
a Black book with Illicit underground groups for Resources
Fake Ids
fake credentials
Bribe Money
a laptop
Cell phones for white and black and Pleasure business
armored costume
Keys to many Vehicles
Automatic lock picks.
and more countermeasure gear you can shake a Cellphone thief at!
Climbing gear
and depending on the game

a particle beam Side arm
a concealed explosive dispensor
contact poisons

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:15 am

Adventurer

Well it depends on the character but for the most part my 'tech' heroes tend to wind up using full (heavy) body armor like Riot Gear or Class IV military armor for protection (it doubles as their costume). Jet Packs, and heavy weapons are also fairly common. It all depends on the character.

One PC I had was using two of the 'antique' 10mm caseless SMGs from RIFTS: Mercenaries. It fit the tech level for 'Hardware' and amounted to 6d6x10 SDC (with armor piercing abillity) from a dual-gun burst.

To be honest most of the best true 'Hardware' type characters nowadays tend to be villains. For whatever reason it doesn't seem to be a popular hero theme, unless it's heavily hybrided.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:24 am

Knight

I'm seeing for the most part everyone if going toward heavier combat equipment instead of just gadget type gimmicks. Does that seem true in your game?

One of the most useful gimmicks I've used was taken from the spider lady charcter in GI. Glop grenades. Works like a non magical carpet of adhesion.

I've used the caseless pistol and submachine gun in Mercs in the past. The M-16 upgrade in Rifts Underseas is also great as an slightly higher tech level. Most of the weapons listed in AtB are also great additions, especially for characters of odd sizes. A final source if you don't want to create your own weapons is the various Robotech books. The Wolverine and RDF auto pistol are great, and you don't have to convert from MDC.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:41 am

Wanderer

His booty.

Because it was handed to him in his last fight.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:08 pm

Adventurer

RockJock wrote:
I'm seeing for the most part everyone if going toward heavier combat equipment instead of just gadget type gimmicks. Does that seem true in your game?

One of the most useful gimmicks I've used was taken from the spider lady charcter in GI. Glop grenades. Works like a non magical carpet of adhesion.

I've used the caseless pistol and submachine gun in Mercs in the past. The M-16 upgrade in Rifts Underseas is also great as an slightly higher tech level. Most of the weapons listed in AtB are also great additions, especially for characters of odd sizes. A final source if you don't want to create your own weapons is the various Robotech books. The Wolverine and RDF auto pistol are great, and you don't have to convert from MDC.

Well the problem is that you want to be effective. Remember that one of the major problems with Palladium games is that the saving throw system is so bloody wonky that it's nearly impossible to effect anyone with most chemicals and stuff. This leaves a lot of the comic book options for disabling criminals and the like impractical.

In the comics the hardware/physical training type heroes mostly fight normal people. Batman for example usually winds up dueling thugs, or guys whos idea of a 'gimmick' is to put a machine gun in his umbrella. He even loses sometimes.

In an RPG your not so fortunate, you usually wind up fighting superhumans who have hundreds of SDC and can inflict tons of damage with their attacks. If your going to be anything but a hero pasty you need to be able to take this and respond in kind. Hence why "Hardware" characters that survive are usually going to seem kind of like "Boba Fett".

With all due respect to the 'good/clever role-playing' crowd, heroes games tend to involve a decent amount of combat at some point. Unless the GM is specifically going easy on you, or running a campaign where everyone is some kind of low end gizmo/physical training character and using normal-type thugs for the most part, the numbers usually just don't allow for the comic-like 'brains over brawn' approach. Your clever gimmick/device is likely to be overcome by a simple saving throw or whatever when you get down to it.

Part of this is system design, but then again it's a flaw with most super-hero type games out there.

Unless the GM is intentionally going to a 'golden age' type style (and honestly from the GM's guide it seems this is how Kevin himself runs games) taking the bad guys down alive is not usually going to be a priority. So basically if I'm going toe to toe with guys who are tougher than most tanks, I'm going to be packing the biggiest, most heavily customized, guns I can get my bloody hands on.

As far as jet packs go, think about it. A jet pack is almost a nessecity for any kind of tech-hero. The reason is simply that comics (due to the way they are writte) tend to overlook how most physical training/gizmoteer characters get to and from the scenes of their vigilante activities without being apprehended or having to start world war III.

In many cases heroes like "Batman" start out at the scene up on a rooftop or something where they allegedly found the crime while 'on patrol' and then after they rough the guy up, the scene changes to someplace else. It omits everything between here and there.

An RPG doesn't work that way, if the GM is doing things with even a slight degree of realism when your hero jumps the gun-toting bad guys, the police are going to be there within a few minutes (tops). They want you arrested on general principle just for being a vigilante (even many cops in Gotham want to take Batman down, the comissioner be D@mned). This in of itself can get very, very complicated.

A Jet Pack means you can take off at like 200 mph and weave around buildings and such which means that very few people are going to be able to catch/follow you. Basically if you have no way to get away from your scene of heroism your not going to be a hero very long. My comments about killing the bad guys aside, heroes still don't mass-murder the police which is pretty much their only option to avoid apprehension in a game that involves realistic police response.

Incidently this is why flight is such a popular power for super-heroes in general. Most characters that don't have flight possess some kind of a 'travel' power or other gimmick (like a team super-jet, or the abillity to call dimensional portals at will) to justify the same thing. Spider Man for example is stealthy and has the abillity to run straight up walls and swing around, making him impossible for normal people to catch/follow.

>>>----Therumancer--->

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:06 pm

D-Bee

MUSCLE !!! Lol , Sorry I dont have a hardware character , Does that include PT Characters though :D

Great Simmer

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:32 pm

Adventurer

last vigilate i ran used

Paintball Gun (payload 300) with balls injected with paralitic poison (home-brew rules, contact poison Save 14+ kicks in in d4 melees)

running off the assumption that even though they act like steel, APS guys are still exposed skin... he brought down a couple powerhouses in under a minute by shooting them in the eyes...

in addition, for the "harder" stuff,
he packed

2 rolls of duct tape (which after a painful, nutcrushing demonstration we proved could be used like a whip/grapple to entangle the legs...)

40 zip ties

6 grenades of various types (usual 3 KO, 3 smoke)

an anti-grav ring collected from an alien villain

4 pocket knives of various sizes

a colt 45, with 2 clips of AP ammunition, and silencer

3 specially designed shape charges (meant for blowing doors off their hinges, but once used to knock a robot on it's arse...)

high-tech mask/goggles (incorperated Nightvision, gas filter, and motion tracker)

2 tracer bugs (designed to launch from paintball gun)

6 explosive darts (same as tracers)

swiss army knife, leatherman, wire cutters

police uniform, badge, and identification

everything else he needed he salvage from his environment...

"JESUS SAVES! The rest of you take full damage."

They call me Hadoken 'cause I'm down-right fierce.