NEW POWERS!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Delay Damage(minor)
This power adds an option to all damage inflicted by the character. They can delay the damage they deal until a later time.
Duration: Maximum dealying time is 30 minutes per level of experience. The exact amount of time the damage will be delayed for must be stated before damage is rolled, but after the strike is determined.
Notes: The intention to delay damage must be stated before the attack is rolled.
The only attacks that can be delayed are hand to hand attacks, or damage dealt by the character's powers. Damage by weapons cannot be delayed, unless Power Weapon or other powers that somehow empower weapons are used.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

There was a power I've been trying to figure out, but I can't make work. The general idea was being able to create an illusion over the character so they take on the appearance of having another power. So, copying Invulnerability would make the character look like they are not taking any damage and shrugging it off, but actually they are hurt. Only problem I was having was with powers that are based off visual displays, like Horror Factor or Divine Aura. I guess I could balance it by giving people a save to resist the effects.

I have an idea how I want to do the write-up for this, but I was hoping people would have an idea how to handle certain powers. Damage powers are easy; the person just thinks they're damaged and get a save to realize "Hey, that didn't actually hurt." The powers previously mentioned are tough, and things like Teleport and Shadow Stepping are obviously impossible. Bend Light is a toughie also.

Any helpful suggestions? Or maybe something like this already exists.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

ZEN wrote:Illusion Generation pretty much covers that, but perhaps you could come up with a type of super powered, non-psionic persuasion/suggestion ability?
The only real no no regarding mind control is that the target always gets a saving throw and the control can never force them into suicidal actions, but there is no reason why you couldn't change a victim's perceptions to the point where they can't tell friend from foe and it is possible to change the sensations the victim feels, so that pain is largely ignored, hot feels cold, etc.

I guess it would be a limited version of illusion generation, with a psionic element thrown in. The psionic element would be the part where the character uses the fake powers to affect someone else.

ZEN wrote:BTW, Mr Scorpio is a genius and what he just sent me is prompting me to add a whole new section to the Heroes Ltd. web site.
:ok:

Ok, my curiosity is piqued.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

This power was inspired from various sources, like the Instant powers and Dimensional Room from PU1, and Dimensional Pockets from Rifts England.

Dimensional Pocket(minor)
The character has their own dimensional pocket they can access. The pocket has dimensions of 3ftx3ftx3ft. At every level of experience, 1ft can be added to one of the dimensions of the pocket. To access this pocket, all that is required is a portal of some sort. This portal can be just about anything enclosed(a door, window, pocket, purse, a hole, etc...). The character reaches a hand through the portal, and the hand seems to disappear. Then whatever object they were attempting to reach is pulled out. Placing an object in the pocket is done the same way. The character reaches into a portal, object in hand, and just drops it in.
Notes: As an alternative to the figuring how big things are, use a weight limit instead. Assume the pocket can store 30lbs +10lbs per level of experience.
Anytime the character wishes to store an object that is too large to fit in the space available in the pocket, then nothing happens.
When reaching into the pocket, the object they were attempting to retrieve is readily available.
Whenever something is put into, or removed from, a pocket, the size of the portal must be large enough to handle the object. So, no popping the lenses out of your sunglasses and pulling out sub-machineguns. Making a circle with your thumb and forefinger can be used to pull out handcuff keys though.
Last edited by MrTwist on Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Do you even know what the word theory means? You must think it means '**** that you make up'."
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Actually, on second thought, I think just using a weight limit would probably be best.
---Penn Jillette
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

MrTwist wrote:Actually, on second thought, I think just using a weight limit would probably be best.

Great power. I think I have to agree that it would be better to go with the weight limit. Seems to make more sence.

hehe, poop gun.....makes me giggle :lol:
Last edited by Mr Scorpio on Thu Sep 30, 2004 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:BTW, Mr Scorpio is a genius and what he just sent me is prompting me to add a whole new section to the Heroes Ltd. web site.

Awwww :oops: By my I.Q. I'm only slightly above average, hehe.

masterkind wrote:Oh, by the way, since Orbit manipulation was too powerful, I'm now wondering if this power is.

Major

Fate Control

[snip]

Yep, all this is too powerful.

Yep. It's just too powerful. Maybe you should start with something smaller. It might make it easier to get started. Maybe you could try making up a Minor. Just remember to keep it at the same power level as the other Minors in the book. You seem to have a lot of scientific knowledge, so put some science into the explanation. Makes it sound better if it's backed by something scientific (or better yet pseudoscientific!).
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Has anyone created a Reflex Mimic(think Photographic Relfexes) power yet? I have a general idea of what's been done, but with all the pages on this forum and the powers scattered throughout them, looking through everything(over and over again) can be a pain.
---Penn Jillette
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Unread post by Prince Cherico »

Origami

The charter can create and has ultimant control over paper

The charter has amount of Paper points equal to his ME-times 100
his can spend these points to use his paper powers He regains
paper points at a rate of 5 a minute. Paper points are spent using
powers once the powers have been used to create the paper the amount
of PP used can only be regained with time.

The range of the paper control is 50 feet per level of experience

the duration of his paper creations is 10 minutes per level of experience

The creation of these objects takes one melee action

Limitations on creating paper objects
mechanical weapons and objects can not be created
any thing else that can be imagined goes. The creations
have SDC equal to the PP in fact thats the PP cost of anything
the amount of SDC it has. All contructs take double damage from fire

Creating animals- the charter can create any animal he can
imagine the constructs have all of the abilitys the animal has

Creating supernatural creatures- the creatures have a super natural
PS equal to the charters ME other than that they do not have the
other super natural powers common to that creature.

Paper blast- summons a 3d6 blast of razor sharp paper costs 2 paper points

Paper weapons- cost is equal to the sdc of the weapon the paper weapon
also does a extra 1d6 damage
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Lord Cherico wrote:APS Magic girl

This power allows the charter to transform into
a sailor moon type magic girl.

I am so tempted to create an APS:Killer Tomato.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Zen, I like the new additions to the powers page. I'm glad you put up that Cosmic Vision power. That one was interesting. I do have a question about it though, which I never answered in the rewrite I tried to do of it so long ago. How many energy forms are available? Or does the person have all the forms, but only one at a time?
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Impeccable Appearance(minor)
Some people are born soldiers, some great leaders, some legendary heroes, and some just make it look good. This character seems to others to be just lucky when it comes down to scrapping with villains and such. No matter what happens, they always look their best. Basically, they always look like they just stepped out of a movie makeup session.
Effects: This character's appearance is never marred by circumstance. Even if they fall in a bunch of mud, all they need to do is stand up and their clothes are perfect. Everything they wear seems to be in perfect shape. They can fight all day and still have perfect hair. Hair loss due to damage and such is regrown to original length within about 30 seconds, unless the character wanted it cut. Even if physically damaged, the character still looks good.
Bonuses:
Add +2 to MA and PB
Notes: This power does keep clothes and costumes intact, as long as they don't suffer damage that destroys more than 30% of the outfit. This will not affect the integrity of armor, though. Any SDC lost is still lost. It will still look brand new.

I just wanted a power that it seems many comic book characters have. They take a beating from some villain, and even if their costumes are a bit damaged, they still look perfect.
---Penn Jillette
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:On another note: Who here thinks I should add a new list to the powers page.. "Silly Powers"?
This would cover all those powers (such as APS Cartoon and Giant Monster) that I otherwise pass over automatically as being just plain stupid, yet rather funny.
8-)

A Silly Powers list sounds good to me. Hehe, still thinking about MrTwist's APS: Killer Tomato.

BTW, I'm still trying to come up with Evil Stuff but it's slow going right now. There are one or two more power categories I'm contemplating but they would be along the lines of the Gestalt characters (in that they would have limited appeal).
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

MrTwist wrote:Has anyone created a Reflex Mimic(think Photographic Relfexes) power yet? I have a general idea of what's been done, but with all the pages on this forum and the powers scattered throughout them, looking through everything(over and over again) can be a pain.

I've seen it somewhere but I don't really remember being impressed that much. I would love to see your version.

Which reminds me...masterkind got me to thinking about a skill mimicking power. Sounded a little limited at first but then I realized that it would include Hand-to-hand skills (probably even those of Physical Training characters). Not to mention medical, electronic and mechanical skills (maybe even those of Hardware characters). Not sure if it should be a Minor or a Major. Maybe a Minor if it only works while you're in range and a Major if it works for X amount of time per level? What do you guys think?
Prince Cherico
Hero
Comment: Remember also that the smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights, cannot claim to be defenders of minorities
Ayn Rand

Thanks Zen this rocks mightly

now a new power

Engergy EXpulsion sniper

This power allows a mutant to fire a energy blast over
extreamly long ranges though at the cost of general fire power.

Damage is 1d6 per level of experence
at 3rd level the charater can regulate the damage

Range is an impresive 500 yards per level of experence!
Svartalf- if Cherico were a character created in a point game system, he'd have all his scores in geeky skills and his youtube and weird net stuff schticks all paid through a a Terminal Bad Luck (with more nasty GM intervention) disadvantage, and probably an Uncouth (can not have social skills) disad as well...
In an RPG with deadly situations that character would have had to be replaced a dozen times over[
Prince Cherico
Hero
Ayn Rand

I was thinking telekintic I like the idea of some one being 2000 yards
away killing some one with a penny
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Here's something evil.

Body Control(major)
This is similar to Control (Others), but instead of controlling the mind of someone you control the body. The mind stays conscious and perfectly aware of what is going on.
Range: 10ft +3ft per level. This is for initial control. After control is established, the person can be controlled from up to 50ft +10ft per level.
Duration: 3 minutes per level of experience.
1. Eye contact is required for the initial control attempt.
2. Attempting to use this power requires 1 attack, and continued use causes these penalties to the super being: APM is reduced to 2 attacks once control is established. -3 to strike, -4 to parry, dodge, and initiative. -35% on all skill performance due to concentration.
3. The person controlled suffers from the same penalties as the controller. So, in effect, the controller has 2 attacks for his own use, and 2 attacks they can force the controlled being to do.
4. Saving against this attack is as follows.
Animals(not including insects, which can't be controlled) - 18
Non-Psionic people(and aliens, mutants, etc...) - 15
Psionic - 12
5. Save vs. psionics can't be used to help this, but mind control/possession bonuses can.
6. If forced to kill themselves or a loved one, the affected gets another save immediately, but at a -2. Once you're controlled, it's hard to break free. This is the dangerous part, since it does not suffer from the limitations of mind control.
Note:
This can be used to immobilize a foe.
Using this power is generally considered a very evil act, as the affected being is totally aware of what's going on.
Using this on a psychic character is dangerous, as they can use their abilities in this state. For this purpose, they have all their normal attacks, usable only for psionic abilities.
Although the super being can direct the affected to do whatever is needed, they cannot see through their eyes. Therefore, most things require the super to actually see what's going on to properly direct their puppet.

That evil enough?

BTW - To limit posting of abilities that are extremely similar to ones already around(I'm not sure if this already exists), anyone want to make a list of powers posted in this thread? I know it's a lot of work. I wish I could, but I got a lot on my plate right now.
Last edited by MrTwist on Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I don't think Fusion is quite evil enough, given there is a good chance to save for the unwilling. Besides, there is enough uses of the power in a heroic fashion that even a principled char could use it effectively.

And about Body Control. No power is inherently evil, mainly just the way it's used. With Body Control, I saw that the only use a hero could ever have for it it immobilizing a foe, or making them not do something evil. When in the hands of an anarchist or lower alignment, the evil uses become astounding. So, it's not exactly evil, but it's something better suited for nefarious purposes.

Actually, that's kind of how I see Control (others). Sure, heroes can use mind control to save a lot of hassle. But, the very act of controlling someone's mind is pretty darn vicious. It's subjugating someone's will for your own use, enslaving them. Forcing any kind of unwilling control over another being is pretty bad in my book.
---Penn Jillette
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:Don't look at me, I have plenty to do yet..

OK I'm not sure if this is strictly an evil power, let me know what you think?

Fusion -By AJ Pickett-
The character has the potent ability to physically merge with another person, becoming a composite being for a short time, combining all the strengths of the two individuals yet retaining his own identity and mental dominance.

Dang, you beat me to that one. It's been brewing in the back of my head for a while now. Oh well.

MrTwist's Body Control does seem kind of evil to me. Fusion doesn't seem so evil, just cool.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I'm still trying to work on the Dream Hero thing. Tough going to get it to make sense and be balanced.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I really don't know if this would be considered minor or major. Actually, it might be better as a super-psionic power.

Best Friend
This is a very specialized form of affecting a victim's mind. As opposed to creating some disguise, or controlling someone's mind, the super being rips the vision of a trusted associate out of the affected person's mind and seems to become them. This affects all senses on the victim.
Range: Eye contact is necessary for initial imprinting. Beyond that, it's only 30ft +5ft per level.
Duration: This does not really require concentration on the part of the super. 2 melee rounds per level of experience.
Effects: The affected does not suffer from any sort of combat penalties.
For purposes of actually attacking the person using this, assume a 65% chance they will only attempt to restrain(mildly) the person for questioning. They will give them the benefit of the doubt in any argument. This is their best friend, by the way.
When affected by this power, no combat can be initiated(by the victim) towards the user, unless the user starts first. This will NOT stop them from detaining the user for questioning. If the user does attack the victim, they can do whatever to fight back(see the restraining note above).
Bonuses:
+10% to Disguise and Impersonation

Let me know what you think.
Last edited by MrTwist on Wed Oct 06, 2004 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
---Penn Jillette
ZEN
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by ZEN »

Drop the +2D4 to M.A. and this is a Minor super power (a good one at that!)
Little Sculptures
Hand crafted fantasy miniatures.
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

I am working on a new power called APS Appendage. Ill make it available tomarrow. Anyone know a better term for hands and feet?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Shaded_Helios wrote:Limb or extremity sounds better than appendage, at least to me.

On a different note, but possibly related, I'd like to see a power that allowed partial intangibility. For example, allowing the character to remain solid, but to turn an arm intangible to reach through a locked safe and remove its contents.

Chech my power Phase. It allows for characters to phase their limb though a mini worm hole and magically appear on the other side without loosing tangability.

As for limb and extremity. I'm not sure thats what I'm looking for but I appreciate that you're on the right track.
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Beastform(major)
This sister ability of Lycanthropy allows the character to physically change into a more bestial version of himself. He will retain his basic personal characteristics, his facial features and fingerprints will not change, but everything else can and will change (the actual physical looks are left to the player's preferences, but it's always basically humanlike). All the listed abilities and bonuses are applicable only in bestial form, they cannot be used without full transformation. The character will not suffer from any of the disadvantages listed under the Lycanthropy major superpower, during a full moon or solar eclipse.

Abilities and Bonuses:
  • Add 1 foot(30.5cm) to height, and 100lbs(45,5kg) to weight.
  • Add 2d6 to PS (if over 20 add only 1d6) and PP (if over 20 add only 1d6), 100 SDC and 2d6 to Spd (if over 20 add only 1d6).
  • The character gains night-vision(normal human range), enhanced hearing(normal human range), and enhanced olfactory sense(normal human range, can track by scent(70% +2% per level)).
  • The character gains retractable claws(damage 2d6 +PS bonuses) and enlarged canines(damage 2d4 +PS bonuses), the character is +4 to strike with his natural weapons(not cumulative with the below, use the +4 if using claws or bite).
  • +2 to Strike, Parry and Roll With Punch/Impact/Fall.
  • The character heals two times faster than a normal human being, He can and will regrow lost limbs(or part thereof) upon next transformation, furthermore the trauma of losing a limb will cause the cahracter to revert back to non-beast form. The regrown limbs are permanent additions, they stay even after the character reverts back to non-beast form.

---

Note: I just thought to add this, some of you might remember, what its for.

EDIT: Added bits and pieces, rounded out the powers...
Last edited by Snowtiger on Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

I made the modification to Best Friend. Only reason I put the MA bonus in there was I figured that anyone who could become anyone's best friend by willing it would become pretty confident.

I'm also thinking about putting a save of some sort in there.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

MrTwist wrote:Matter Transmutation(Major)
With this power, the character has the ability to manipulate the very atomic structure of matter. By sheer mental will, the super being can reshape almost any form of matter into almost any other form.
Range: Touch only.
Duration: 5 minutes per level of experience. Can be made permanent at the expense of 1 PE and 1d6 HP. This payment is lost forever, no matter what happens to the affecte item.
Effect: One form of matter can be reshaped into another. Because I will not repost information available in HU2 under the power of Copy Physical Structure, that power can be used as a guideline.
Amount Able to be Affected: 50lbs per level of experience.
Note: Magical materials can NOT be changed by this power, nor can another form of matter be changed into them. Any attempt to do so(and unless they try it once, the character most likely will NOT know the results) causes the character to be blown by 10ft per 50lbs of material, and take 3d6 damage of pure magical force.
Note 2: The character cannot switch matter into a substance they know nothing about. That is to say, a character without any pertaining skills would not know enough about nuclear weapons to turn a pencil into so much weapons grade plutonium.
Note 3: Any item changed into an element with a half-life(yes, this may require some forethought to make sure these figures are handy) that exists long enough to degrade, will degrade back into the original material.
Note 4: Any object that is attempted to be changed that is connected to a living creature is given a save vs. magic, with only PE bonuses as applicable, to avoid changing.

Now that is what I have going through my head right now. It seems fine, then I think to myself that this power can be abused. Considerations such as what it can affect, and what the limits are on what can be changed into. Mainly along the lines of single element, multiple element, elements that have wildly different melting/freezing points("I touch the man's body armor and turn it into mercury"), or substances with interesting properties("The villain with APS:Liqiud went behemoth? Darn. Wait, I pick up a rock and turn it into a dessicant, then throw it at him."). To be honest, the player turning every little trinket they pull out of a quarter machine into either diamond or platinum doesn't worry me as much as who turns lighter power armors or robots into helium.

The whole alchemy thing would be a nice power to include, but unfortunately the power would have to have some strict limitations. The power to transmute elements or compounds would be a gamebreaker. It might seem cool at first for the hero to be able to make wood into stone, or steel into paper. Wait till your players transform their opponents epidermis to pure sodium, or eyeballs to acid.
I could see an alchemy/matter transmutation power working only if the activation took some time, and successful completion was marked by some kind of sacrifice. Maybe HP or something. A hero who can turn cigarette butts into emeralds all day doesn't fight crime; they become politicians to get at the big money.
It's not that the idea is bad. Actually it would be nice to see. Unfortunately, it's extremely powerful. It's better off used as an NPC plot device than something PC's could have.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Fleshcurse(major)
This ability is the bane of the beautiful. A person with this power can literally touch someone, and they become an object of scorn, fear, and ridicule.
Duration: 1 week per level of experience.
Effect: A person affected by this power physically transforms into something hideous to behold. Their flesh actually re-moulds itself into some random grotesque abberation. Their PB drops to 5, and they gain a HF of 14.
Save:
A normal person must save at a 17
An extraordinary human(physical&special training) saves at 15
A super powered person saves at 14
An alien saves at 13
A supernatural creatures saves at 12
In all cases, PE bonuses to save vs. magic apply(and ONLY PE bonuses)
Note:
Only the super who used the power can cancel it, and they can cancel it at any time with only a touch.
A Fleshcurse can be made permanent with the sacrifice of one PE and 1d4 HP. This loss is permanent, unless the person revokes the curse.

I'm curious what people think of this power. For a villain, this an easier way to gain power("You were beautiful once. I can bring you back to the way you were. For a price.") than some other ways. Really can't see much use in it for a hero though.
---Penn Jillette
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

MrTwist wrote:Fleshcurse(major)
This ability is the bane of the beautiful. A person with this power can literally touch someone, and they become an object of scorn, fear, and ridicule.

[SNIP]

I'm curious what people think of this power. For a villain, this an easier way to gain power("You were beautiful once. I can bring you back to the way you were. For a price.") than some other ways. Really can't see much use in it for a hero though.

Dang it, I'm going to have to spend more time writing down my power ideas because you guys keep posting your versions of them before I can even make it on line. My idea was more along the lines of flesh manipulation. Basically you would get the power to alter the physical features of other people. I think that would give it a little more range. Make the beautiful people ugly and the ugly people beautiful. Maybe even make them look just like their favorite movie star. Sure it would only last for a day or two but that should be worth a few bucks.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind a version Matter Transmutation that was limited to non-living things. It would still be very powerful and not quite as dangerous.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Well, originally I was thinking along the lines of making ugly beautiful and vice versa. I figured it was a bit too much and did the one sided bit.
---Penn Jillette
Prince Cherico
Hero
Ayn Rand

Major Powers

Craftsman

The charter mind is constantly brimming with
creative ideas, they are quite simply artists beyond
compare, in every creative field they go far beyond
what normal artists are capable of.

1. They have a art skill at 70% +5% per level this can go
above the 100% mark! after 100% each 5% gives their
work a awe factor of one!

2. Musitinal skill the charter can play any musical instrument
just by picking it up! This music skill is 70% +5% per level
of experience like the charters art skill after 100% the music
gains a awe factor

3. Super singing the charter has a voice of an angel they have
a natural singing skill at 70% after a 100% the skill percentile
is used as a measure to affect the moods of the listeners. Anger
can be turned to sorrow and Ect.

4. Storytelling- the charter can create storys that touch peoples
soul like the first two super skills the charters Skill level is at
70% +5% per level after a 100% the storys become so good that
they gain an awe factor

5. Building- the charter can sculpt and crave works of amazing beauty
the skill like all of the other super skills is at 70% +5% per level of
experience and gains a awe factor after 100%

6. other bounese and penitys- the charter has an amazing personality
and gains 2d4 to their MA unfortantly the charter is extremely sensitive
and their artistic abilitys tend to edge out some of their rational thinking
abilitys -1d4 to ME -1d4 to IQ

Zenos Arrow

named after a famous philosfer this ability allows the charater
to absorb momentum!

1. the charater can create a null field that makes it impossible
for projectile weapons to work. Any projectile weapon blast that
enters the field stops and drops to the ground harmlessly.
Range is a 30 foot radius +5 feet per level of experience

2. Decrease movement the charter can create a feild that slows every
one by 2 SPED per level of experience range is 100 feet +10 feet per level of experience

3. Increased personal speed- after absorbing all of the momentum around him the charter can jump 15 feet in the air gains 2 attacks
and has his speed tripled

4. other abilitys the super being can acturatly gauge trajectory
and speed of any moving object at 68% +2% per level of experience

(hopefully both of these will make it on the list :D )
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

ZEN wrote:Ehhh.. fair enough, I'm giving it a good going over anyway.. for example..
1. Artistic Gift:
They have an art skill at 80% +5% per level of experience, this skill can go beyond the normal 98% limit and for every level beyond 4th the character instils an Awe Factor of 1 each time they roll a successful art skill check (this applies only one per artwork, thus an eighth level character can paint a picture with an Awe Factor of 4 if he makes his skill check).

Wonder if there was some way to use this talent(in combination with others) to create artworks embued to certain abilities...(like paintings that hypnotize or a Cthulu-sculpture that sucks your soul the longer you stand around it...)? Psycho-Sculpt, perhaps? Or a variant of the psionic abilities associated with ectoplasm?
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

masterkind, i really like the power, but you REALLY need to make it easier to understand. the illusion stuff just doesn't make ANY sense. either clarify or omit the illusion stuff, please. :ok:
also, what exactly does the afterimage do for the character? :?
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

don't omit the afterimage, just make it actually do something. the illusions are what need clarification. so far, there don't seem to be any mechanics to explain what they do and how they effect the situation. clear that up and the power would be golden
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
Prince Cherico
Hero
Ayn Rand

Taboo

this power allows the charter to create Taboos some
of which are impossible to break others witch carry grave
conquences for breaking. Range is always 30 feet per level
of experience +30 feet per level of experience.

The charter can create one absolute Taboo a day this
Taboo can be one of silence were no one can talk, make
guns and explosives useless, or even make violence itself impossible
unfortantly the charter is bound by his own Taboo, if he makes a
taboo against violence then he himself becomes incapable of it.
Once he creates his absolute taboo of the day he is stuck with it
for 24 hours, at witch time he can ether maintain the taboo or use
another one.

The second class of Taboo is the harsh Taboo, when this Taboo
is broken the person who broke it takes 1d6 damage direct to
hit points, they must also roll over their PE 2 times. The first time
is to maintain conusoness the second is to keep from trowing up
blood. The charter starts with one harsh Taboo and gains one
every 4 levels of experience.

The third and last class is the minor Taboo when this taboo is broken
the charter who broke it takes 1d6 damage. The charter starts with
one minor Taboo and gains a new one every level of experience.

Peniteys- the charter has to follow his own rules or his own powers will
turn against him.
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

taboo is really cool, cherico. a few things, though. what happens if you fall unconscious? how long does it last? what does vomiting blood do to you statistically? just minor questions ,really.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

masterkind wrote:How's this?

Alter Physical Structure: Hypersonic Silver/Blue Liquid and Metal

The character is half solid, half liquid, and all sound. That's right, the character is pure sound in a silver body which is liquid like. This power surrounds the character with a completely inivisible energy, which, when the character moves, causes so much power, and so much tension in the space fabric, that the space fabric can't handle the pressure and starts to warp and blurs etc., and the energy is caused by the speed of movement. The character does move like a liquid, but he moves much, much quicker than the average and slow liquid. Cutting is the character's main weapon, but this power has it's advantages. The character even can create blurs while he in space since he moves so fast in the air. The blurs themselves cause distortions in colors in objects they affect (colors from a book to a red apple, example).
At level four, the character can create burst of unusual wavy energy that can change the scene of what's happening for 1 1/2 turns, which happens because illusions are created to change what's happening. These illusions come from the energy itself that is in a form of a powerful and fast wave.
At level seven, the character can move at hypersonic speeds, which can warp the fabric of space like wind blowing on paper. When the character moves, not only blurs move behind, but liquid also trails.

Hmmm, still not so easy for me to understand. I can see an APS that turns you into pure sound but I'm not so sure about the liquid coating. The part that confuses me the most is the whole "space fabric can't handle the pressure and starts to warp and blurs etc." thing. Maybe it's just one of those science things that are beyond me.

1. Hypersonic Flight
The character moves through the air with liquid trailing behind.
Speed: Mach 3
Distance: 5 miles

So is this the power that kicks in at level 7? If so it should be listed as such.

3.Cutting Feats
The character also has a sharp body. The body's razorness isn't very sharp, but it works. He also can create green, razor energy. He has the following feats...
Run and Cut: THe character runs past opponent and cuts them. 1D6 x3 damage.
Ultimate Slicer: Does a tornado of slices and dices: Does 1D6x2 damage
Cut wave: Character hits the ground with hand, causing razor wave to spread. 1D6 damage
Air cut: same as above, only character spins to cause wave
Razor spread: Does kung fu gestures to spread waves of razorness. 1D6x4 damage
Razor Spiral: Can create a spiral of razor energy. 1D6x4 damage
All feats gain + 2 per level experience.
Duration: Instant
Range: 12 feet or touch
Attacks per melee: one

I think these should be listed separately. Oh, and instead of listing damage as 1D6X4 it's usually listed as 4D6 (just me being picky on this one).

4.The Fast Stuff
The character is a great and acrobat and martial artist. The following feats are...
Quick Jump: The character instantly jumps from one place to another while doing an acrobatic feat.
Unified multi attack: Character can attack foe with many attacks at the same time, doing nearly impossible feats. Does 1D6x5 damage
Exibitition: Character does moves in a flashy, showy way. He does them so quickly, that people barely have a chance to avoid his show.
Range: varies

Again, these should be listed separately with the range listed for each one.

5.Blur and Warp
The character, as mention in the first paragraph, can warp space and create blurs when he moves. The feats...
Blur Distortion: The character moves with
blurs that are on the side of the afterimage, and they create blurs that distort colors. Only works through movement.
Note: The next power cannot be mixed with the last. The character can only choose one before using.
Space Fabric Warping: Like the wind blowing on clothes, the character can use this power to move the fabric of space. Only works through movement, once again.

So exactly what effect does warping the fabric of space have?

Vibro Strike
Character can vibrate whole his body and when he strikes something, he may cause it to shatter.
Damage: 1D6x4 plus 2 per level
Range: touch

6.Imperverious
Character gains no damage from sound, light, electricity, air, physical attacks, and water attacks. Damage from fire and plasma is halved. Heat and cold do three quarters damage.

Bonuses: +2 to inititative, +2 to parry, dodge, double speed

Hope this helps.

Looks like you are giving a few too many immunities (even for an APS). Hopefully you'll be able to explain all of this to me a little better so that I can figure out exactly what you're going for.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Any kind of time travel is risky. Even going a few minutes back in time allows for some serious screwing around. Besides, you use a power to travel back in time a few times out in the open, and every government in the whole is going to try to control you.

Tap(minor)
This power allows the super being to focus their own strength into even the tiniest tap. It combines with the character's natural strength to allow full punch damage with only a tap of the finger. It doesn't increase the strength of a punch/kick, just allows an attack to be made seemingly with no effort. It is disheartening for foes to see a hero(with Super PS) lightly tap, say a door, and it explodes(if they have enough strength to do that).
Effects: Simply, an attack can be made without actually rearing back and punching/kicking. A touch is all that's necessary.
Notes: Even power punches and such can be used with this power. The number of attacks needed to initiate the attack stay the same.

Thought this up the other day. Just thought the sheer horror of someone tapping the hood of the car and causing it to crash(like in Hellboy) would be worth taking.
---Penn Jillette
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Shaded_Helios wrote:I'm trying to come up with some sort of time travel power. Strictly backwards and not mega-powerful, but still really freaking powerful. I'm currently thinking something along the lines of being able to jump M.E. minutes back in time, but at the cost of 1 P.E. being permanently lost and maybe a roll vs insanity.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated.

Acyually, I have this.

Temporal Awareness
The character has a limited form of time manipulation, granting minor but incomplete control over time.
1) Slow world: The character can view the world as a slowed down version of events. The character does not possess the enhanced reflexes or speed to make proper use of this facility (he is as slow as anyone) but his mental faculties are sped up by many times. The character enjoys a +2 to strike parry and dodge as well as +4 initiative from this heightened perspective.
2) Pausetime: By expending concentration, the character can slow time down more so, without slowing himself down. The character becomes able to perform superhuman feats at the expense of his endurance. The character can, during such a period, the character enjoys the following bonuses. X4 SPD, +2 attacks per melee, +6 Initiative auto dodge of +6 and +4 to strike parry and dodge. The character does not benefit from slow world when he is using pause time. The pause time effect can be used for as long as the character desires, but every melee round of use drops the character’s PE by one. Lost PE recovers at a rate of 1 per day.
3) Sense time: the character has the ability to perfectly perceive the flow of time and of temporal energy. The character can always accurately predict the time, can feel when he is in a different time period, and feel temporal phenomenon as it occurs.
4) Jaunt: the character can skip through time. By concentrating for a melee round, the character may simply skip forward through time. To the outside world, he vanishes, and reappears in the same location a variable time in the future. The character can move forward a maximum of 6 hours per level.
5) Temporal protections. The character ages slowly, at ¼ normal rate. He is immune to direct temporal tampering, such as through magic, or by conventional slowing effects (such as the slow motion control power). The character is aware of when changes occur in the time stream, and is immune to them. If Doc Diablo goes back in time and slaughters the character as a baby, only the world around the character changes.
6) Backstep: The character can, with effort step back in time to his previous body. This drops the character’s PE by 1 point (recovers at 1 per day). The character is shot back into his body as of 15 seconds earlier. He, and everyone else gets reset to one melee round earlier, the only difference is the character is down an action and a PE point.
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Prince Cherico
Hero
Ayn Rand

Minor

What you want to hear

this charter always knows what people want to hear
simply by looking at some one the charter can sense

1. their mood

2. their religon

3. their astrological sign

4. and their mood

The charter also gains a natural seduction skill at 80& +2% per level
of experience
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Lynx8882 wrote:Do you guys do requests?

Lynx

We have in the past. Not only being a thread for those who have new powers to post, and want to comment on the aforementioned powers, but it is also a useful thread for those with ideas they want fleshed into fully formed powers.
---Penn Jillette
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

ZEN wrote:This is not 'write a new spell'.. there is this tradition of simple, descriptive, non-esoteric names for the super powers.
8-)

That makes me think. Should we start two more threads; one for new spells, and one for psionics?
---Penn Jillette
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

The name seems a bit awkward, try reversing the wording. A slight modification but makes a big difference.

Advantage Nullify -> Nullify Advantage

They both mean exactly the same, but the latter one seems a bit better to me.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
Prince Cherico
Hero
Ayn Rand

Zeno Beat

The charter is attuned to the beat of the universe He
naturally goes with the flow of the unerverse.

1. Dancing the charter has a natural dancing ability
at 80% this ability goes up 5% per level of experience
after reaching 100% the skill allows the charter to have
a awe factor when he dances.

2. Combat beat the longer the charter fights the more attuned
the charter gets to the beat of combat. After the first Melee round
the charter gets auto doge after every seceding level the charter
gains +1 to auto doge, and +1 to strike. After combat ends the charter
slowly goes out of his combat beat at the same level.

3. Emotional beat the charter has a 80% chance +2% per level
of experience of knowing what emotion a charter is experience

4. Life beat the charter has natural diagnosis skill at 70% +2% per
level of experience

5. Dowsing beat any time the charter is looking for something be it
another person an item or loose money the carater can summon
a dosing beat. The closer the charter gets to his goal the louder the
beat gets.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Lynx8882 wrote:I was wondering if anyone had a power in minor form that gave you a commanding presense due to the chracter voice alone something that lowers other perception when this chracter is talking and draws all attention to himself ya know kinda like a commanding presence voice

does this make any sense? :?

Lynx

OK, here's one I just wrote up. Probably needs a better name though. I took it almost straight from Divine Aura with just a couple of tweeks. I've been wanting to write this one for a while now...

Mr Scorpio wrote:Power Voice (Minor)

The characters normal speaking voice is clear and strong. He is a natural public speaker able to hold the attention of every one who can hear him talk. Characters with this power will often be the center of attention at parties and at some point usually hold some minor political office.

Power of voice Amplification: The superbeing’s voice is deep and booming, as if spoken on a loudspeaker, and is clearly heard at great distances. The desired volume and range can be controlled and done at will at no cost of melee actions. Can be used simultaneously with Power of Command.

Range: 1,600 feet
Awe Factor: 14 anytime he amplifies his voice

Power of Command: Twice per melee the character can issue a simple, attention drawing command. Not a complex set of instructions or plans or something completely contrary to the victim’s nature, but things like, “stop,” “look,” “listen,” “unhand her” and so on. Everybody hearing the command is likely to pause and/or obey, at least for an instant. Anyone who fails to save will be forced to obey and lose one melee attack/action in the process.

Saving Throw:
Non-Psionics must roll a 15 (including ME bonuses) or higher to save.
Psionics must roll a 12 (including ME bonuses) or higher to save.
Attacks per Melee: May only be used twice per melee and each command counts as one melee attack.

Other Abilities and Bonuses:
+15% to Speak Native Language skill
+10% to all other language skills
+1D6 to MA

How's that? :D
Last edited by Mr Scorpio on Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Nemesis wrote:Alter Physical Structure: Liquid Metal:
This power enables the character to transform into a liquid metal form similar to mercury.This form grants numerous unique powers.

[SNIP]

I really like this one and I hope everyone else does too. I'd like to see it added to the page if possible. I welcome comments and questions.

Excellent work Nemesis. I love it and hope it makes it to PU 3.0 as well.

Hey Masterkind, I think this would work for what you were wanting. It doesn't have all the extra attacks and stuff that yours does but then I've come to the conclusion that your power seems to be a combination of two major powers; APS: Liquid Metal and Sonic Speed (or something very similar).
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

ZEN wrote:Same with the Power Voice.. pretty cool, and well formated (yay!)

YAY!!! Another power on the list! Here's my next attempt to add to the page.....

Mr Scorpio wrote:Superhuman Physical Prowess (Minor)

The character possesses heightened Physical Prowess one step beyond Extraordinary.

Bonuses:
Increase P.P. to 20 + 2D4 - if P.P. is higher than 20 already, add 2D4+4 to it.
+3D6 to Speed attribute.
Add one extra attack per melee round.
+1 to initiative
+2 to dodge
+4 to automatic dodge; can dodge an attack without using up a melee action.
+15% to skills requiring dexterity and prowess, such as pick locks, computer operation, prowl, gymnastics, acrobatics, climb, etc.
Paired Weapons
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

YAY!!! Another power on the list! Here's my next attempt to add to the page.....

Mr Scorpio wrote:Superhuman Physical Prowess (Minor)

The character possesses heightened Physical Prowess one step beyond Extraordinary.

Bonuses:
Increase P.P. to 20 + 2D4 - if P.P. is higher than 20 already, add 2D4+4 to it.
+3D6 to Speed attribute.
Add one extra attack per melee round.
+1 to initiative
+2 to dodge
+4 to automatic dodge; can dodge an attack without using up a melee action.
+15% to skills requiring dexterity and prowess, such as pick locks, computer operation, prowl, gymnastics, acrobatics, climb, etc.
Paired Weapons

I like what you have started. Keep it up. How many of the 8 attributes have you done?
Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Zenvis wrote:I like what you have started. Keep it up. How many of the 8 attributes have you done?

Thanks, glad you liked it. Cardiac already took care of Superhuman Speed and all I've done so far is Superhuman P.P. but I am thinking about writing up some of the others.

Oh, by the way ZEN, thanks for adding the singing bonus to Power Voice. I totally missed that one.
MrTwist
Hero

Unread post by MrTwist »

Power Leech is interesting. A different take on Borrow Power from PU1.
---Penn Jillette

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”