Super Powers and Amputations

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mr Scorpio
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Super Powers and Amputations

Unread post by Mr Scorpio »

The Baron vonClogg wrote:I've been thinking a lot about Rocket Fists lately, and the obvious question came up: What if someone chops off his hands? Can he still fly?

This applies to a lot of powers, since the players should specify how their energy expulsion manifests. If laser bolts come out of my eyes and some evil villain manages to poke one out, do I get reduced to half damage?

If someone has Multiple Limbs and one limb gets blown off, does he lose half the bonuses? What do you do with the extra attack?

Grisly, I know, but in some games this might be reasonably common. Plus, I had a dream about the Rocketfist guy burning his hand off last night....

:eek: Geez Baron, if you dreamed about Rocket Fists then you must have been thinking about this way too much! :eek:

I've thought about this a little and I guess I'd rule as follows:

1: If the Rocket Fist character lost one hand he could still fly at half speed but if he lost both hands I don't know if he could get away with Rocket..........."Stumps"(?)

2: If an Evil Optometrist pokes out your eye then I would have to rule that your laser bolt would do half damage.

3: As for the Multiple Limb guy I'd agree to half bonuses but he would have to loose the extra attack gained from the extra pair of arms.

As an aside, if the the Rocketfist character holds his arms out to his sides and lets it rip, what happens? Something really bad, might hurt the character, but it should do a boatload of flamethrowin' damage for a while, right?

If the energy from guy's fists can propel him at over Mach 2 then they have to be putting out all kinds of power so yes they would do a boat load of flamethrowin' damage but then one of two things would happen. Either he would be squished by the opposing thrust or his Protective Body Field would protect him and he would be fine. Flip a coin maybe? Heads you pull it off, Tails your character gets squashed flat.

I really feel sorry for the poor guy with Sonic Speed who looses a leg. Maybe you could replace the limbs with bionic duplicates to restore the power levels to what they were before the loss of the body part? I know that adding cybernetics to a character with super abilities usually reduces their power level but if the bionics were specially designed to accomodate the characters powers it should work. I remember seeing something like this in the New Mutants once but wont say any names to protect the innocent (and myself :D ).
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Re: Super Powers and Amputations

Unread post by Zenvis »

Im one of those creative G.M.'s that would turn the dismembered hero into a Alter Limb power. When the powers were not active then there would be no limbs, but when powers kicked in then you would have the new minor power and rocket fists.... but thats me.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”