Negate Super Abilities and Multiple Selves

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

green.nova343
Adventurer

Re: Negate Super Abilities and Multiple Selves

Unread post by green.nova343 »

The "bio-manipulation" remark is giving it a classification. Essentially, they're saying that it's a very specialized psionic type of attack, as it's supposed to be blocking the target's ability to access their super-powers vs. actually shutting them off. Hence why it doesn't work against regular psionics or magic.

Of more concern to me, actually, is that despite it being a very specific form of Bio-Manipulation (which allows a "standard" saving throw against psionics), the victim gets no saving throw. However, unlike Bio-Manipulation, the user has to remain concentrating (no more than 2 AT/melee, -25% to all skills while using), so it puts a heavy limitation on them. Take more than 2 attacks, & you're either borrowing from next melee's actions or you have to drop it to use it. Hmmm...gives me an idea for psionics, but that's a different topic.

Now...the specific situation you're talking about (some hero's duplicate self using the dupe's Negate Super Powers to negate the primary's powers)...my personal opinion is that, if the target of a duplicate's Negate Super Powers is the original, then the duplicate ceases to exist just like if the original chooses to "cancel" the duplicate...& also cancels all other duplicates.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Re: Negate Super Abilities and Multiple Selves

Unread post by green.nova343 »

Candy wrote:If it's something "in the brain" it makes me wonder why that would also work against passive powers like Invulnerability though...

Pg 95 of HU2 has an option for Aliens (11-40) who possess super abilities as "natural aspects" which make them immune to the power so guessing that doesn't relate to brain.

I lean towards the idea that, because of its description, it only works about super-powers that require conscious control. So Invulnerability, any of the Extraordinary Attribute powers, & other such powers that are "innate" to the hero, are unaffected by Negate Super Abilities.

Interestingly enough, p. 9 of AU & AU:Revised takes away the "not affected by the Negate Super Abilities" portion of the description for "innate" powers of an alien race. However, I think this still reinforces the whole idea that, due to the pseudo-psionic nature of the power, it can't work on powers that permanently change the character's biology, but are able to block the abilities they have conscious control over.

Candy wrote:
green.nova343 wrote:Hence why it doesn't work against regular psionics or magic.

Do you recall if it works against powers gained via Mystic Bestowed?
I know Anti-Magic Cloud hits them but not sure if that's an "instead of" or an "in addition to"

Don't believe it says either way. However, I would stick to a more strict wording of the description, so for the Magic category I would recommend the following:
  • Mystic Study: no effect, since their "powers" are 100% magic spells
  • Enchanted Weapon: no effect on any spells selected, but selected super powers are affected as normal. Up to the GM if the innate abilities that aren't super powers provided by the weapon (both the general Enchanted Weapons powers & the ones for being a Good/Evil weapon) are affected as well, but I would recommend they not be affected...for the simple reason that if Negate Super Abilities can interfere with the link, then theoretically by maintaining the blockage for 72 hours the connection to the hero/villain could be permanently severed (which seems just a bit OP to me).
  • Enchanted Object: no effect on any spells selected, but selected super powers are affected as normal.
  • Mystically Bestowed: no effect on any spells, but super abilities are probably affected as per other players. However...transforming back to their "normal" self breaks the connection the opponent using Negate Super Abilities, giving them a chance to then change back & perhaps get an action in before the opponent can reestablish the block on their powers.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”