Fixing "Natural Combat Ability" by splitting it up.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

EliBenedict
Wanderer

Fixing "Natural Combat Ability" by splitting it up.

Unread post by EliBenedict »

I know I’m by no means the first to note the confusing implementation of the Natural Combat Ability in HU2.

It seems to me, part of the problem is that the power tries to represent two different comic book super-powers at once: an instinctual skill at fighting (like Carnifex from Wildcards) and the ability to mimic other heroes' fighting skills (like Taskmaster from Marvel). So, I thought I’d try my hand at separating it out into two powers: a combat mimicry power (Mimetic Reflexes) and an untrained gift for combat (Instinctual Fighting).

The original Natural Fighting Ability (from Rifter #1) is a straight-forward instinctive fighting ability, but the bonuses are a little weak for a major power, comparable, or slightly weaker than what you’d get from H2H Assassin+Boxing, except with regard to Parry and Dodge bonuses, where it surpasses H2H Ancient Master (so it could be more accurately called “Natural Defensive Ability.”)

I’ve tried to create a style that slightly surpasses any normal H2H style from HU2 plus Boxing (including the special fighting skills of the Physical Training Category) with the exception of Ancient Master H2H (which is bonkers.)

I also tried to give it a smoothed-out progression. I used the formatting from H2H Ancient Master because I think it’s better organized than the other H2H skills. Enjoy

**Instinctual Fighting (Major Power)**

This power gives the superbeing an instinctual skill in combat, equal to that of a master martial artist. Their natural combat style is business-like, direct, and fast, with no frills: highly effective, but not pretty.

The superbeing is incapable of learning any other Hand to Hand skill, or any ancient melee weapon proficiency. Their instinctual combat sensibilities always take over. They can learn boxing, wrestling, and other physical skills, but gain no combat bonuses, extra attacks or special maneuvers from doing so. They receive only bonuses to base ability scores and SDC from these skills. They can learn the backflip skill from Acrobatics and Gymnastics, but won’t be able to use it in combat. They can learn ranged ancient weapon proficiencies and modern weapon proficiencies as normal.

The power grants the following combat abilities.

Attacks Per Melee
6 (includes the 2 initial melee attacks automatic to all heroes.) Gains an additional attack at levels 3, 6, 9. 12 and 15

Combat Techniques
-Punch (2D4 damage +PS bonus)
-Kick (2D6 damage + PS Bonus)
-Automatic Parry
-Automatic Dodge (at 2nd level)
-All holds
-65% +2% per level Sense of Balance

Combat Bonuses
+1 to Initiative, +1 at levels 5, 10 and 15
+1 to Strike, +1 at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15
+1 to Damage, +1 at levels 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15
+1 to Automatic Parry, +1 at levels 4, 10, 12 and 14
+1 to Automatic Dodge at levels 2, 7, 11 and 13
+1 to Roll with Punch, Fall or Impact, +1 at levels 5, 10 and 15

Attack Modifiers
-Knock-Out Stun on natural roll of 20 (increases to roll of 19-20 at 7th level, 18-20 at 11th level, and 17-20 at 13th level)
-Critical Strike from Behind (double damage)
-Automatic Critical Strike (double damage) on natural roll of 20 at 2nd level (increase to roll of 19-20 at 6th level, and 18-20 at 10th level)
-Death Blow on natural roll of 20 at 3rd level (must be called), (increase to roll o19-20 at 12th level)

Ancient Weapons Skills
-Paired weapons (all)
+1 to strike and parry with any ancient melee weapon. +1 at levels 4, 9 and 14

**Mimetic Reflexes (Major Power)**

This power lets the superbeing mimic another person's movements, thus emulating certain skills and abilities. Game Master discretion is required, but generally the power is limited to emulating Hand to Hand styles, Physical and Pilot Skills and Weapon Proficiencies.

After viewing another person (the target) in combat or using a movement-based skill for one round (15 seconds), the superbeing can imitate and use that ability with proficiency equal to the target’s.

If the superbeing already possesses the ability in question, they will use it either at their own ability level, or that of the target, whichever is greater.

For skills, this means the super being imitates the target’s percentage level of success.

For combat abilities, the superbeing should separately track their number of attacks and combat bonuses which are attributable to training and skills (bonuses attributable to Physical Prowess, super-powers or other, untrained abilities, should be excluded at this stage.) The Game Master should, likewise track these values for opponents (or allies) the superbeing might face. When the superbing mimics a target, the Game Master should compare these values: in any case where the target’s value is higher, the superbeing may use that value instead of their own. Bonuses attributable to super powers or untrainted abilities are added after this consideration.

Example: Brother Monk E.C., is a 1st level mutant with the Mimetic Reflexes. He also has the Extraordinary Physical Prowess minor power and the ambidextrous unusual characteristic. He’s trained in Hand to Hand Martial arts. He gets four attacks per round and a +3 bonus to roll with/punch/fall/impact and pull punch, and a +2 bonus to initiative from training.

He square off against Private Anguish, a 1st level Experiment (Super Soldier) with Increased Physical Agility and Dexterity, a PP of 22 and the Extraordinary Speed minor power. He’s trained in Hand to Hand Assassin. He gets three attacks per round, a +2 bonus to strike and pull punch and +1 bonus to initiative from training (his bonuses from Increased Physical Agility and Dexterity, PP and Extraordinary Speed are excluded.)

Brother Monk E.C. attempts to mimic him. Since Brother Monk E.C.’s attacks, roll with punch, and pull punch values are higher than Private Anguish’s, he keeps his own values. But, he does mimic the Private’s +2 bonus to strike, since that’s higher. Then, he adds in his bonus from Extraordinary Physical Prowess and Ambidexterity, giving him six attacks.

Later, he’s confronted by the Ten Hand Master, an 8th level Ancient Master with a PP of 28. She has nine attacks per round, and bonuses up the wazoo. Since her values are better than the Monk’s in every category, he mimics all her bonuses (excluding her PP bonus). Then, he adds in his bonuses from Extraordinary Physical Prowess and Ambidexterity, bringing his total number of attacks to ten.

When mimicking physical skills, the superbeing does not receive any bonuses to base ability scores or SDC, but does get all other bonuses. The superbeing can also use any combat maneuvers or attack modifiers (critical, death blow, ect.) the target has from training.

The mimetic reflexes fade relatively quickly. The superbeing only retains use of mimicked skills and bonuses for ten minutes per level after the target leaves their line of sight.

As this ability requires significant additional bookkeeping from both the Game Master and player, the player should consult with their GM before selecting it.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Fixing "Natural Combat Ability" by splitting it up.

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

The Instinctual Fighting seems pretty good there, but I have to admit the Mimetic Reflexes power with all it's book keeping needed makes my skin crawl. Doesn't mean you didn't do a good job, but I'd be really hesitant to pull that into my game.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
EliBenedict
Wanderer

Re: Fixing "Natural Combat Ability" by splitting it up.

Unread post by EliBenedict »

Daniel Stoker wrote:The Instinctual Fighting seems pretty good there, but I have to admit the Mimetic Reflexes power with all it's book keeping needed makes my skin crawl. Doesn't mean you didn't do a good job, but I'd be really hesitant to pull that into my game.

Daniel Stoker

Yeah, I thought about that too. I'm not sure there's any way to implement something like Taskmaster's ability that doesn't involve a lot of book keeping. I guess you could streamline things by eliminating the powers/training distinction, in which case it just becomes: use either your own APM, Strike, Parry, Dodge, ect. bonuses or those of your opponent, whichever are higher. But that seems less in the spirit of the thing.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”