Plant Control and other Plant based powers and Fungi

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Duskviper
Wanderer

Plant Control and other Plant based powers and Fungi

Unread post by Duskviper »

I know that fungi are not considered plants in reality. So does anyone know if Plant Control and other such plant powers work on Fungi?
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Re: Plant Control and other Plant based powers and Fungi

Unread post by zerombr »

I would do so, its a fairly niche ability anyway, so why not let it work on fungi?
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

I'd allow it.

This admission also brings up Lichen.
Do we also allow Lichen? Is its freakish melding of fungus and algae a deal breaker? If not, how long until someone stats out Lichen-man?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I'd allow it. It's close enough.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Yeah, at this point I don't see why I wouldn't allow it in my games.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

I'm going to chip in for the other option and say I wouldn't allow it! Fungi isn't plants, so I would say the default answer is no, unless you as the GM decide to expand the power to affect things other than plants - which you are quite welcome to do! :)

I think that some kind of control fungi type power would be more interesting as a separate ability, because I don't think the main the powers of plant control mesh well with fungi (I don't see how you could animate a mushroom to do much that would benefit you), but mainly because fungus has a different "feel", culturally, to plants, and would be cool to let it stand out on its own. "Captain Redwood" and "Doctor Toadstool" seem like different types of characters to me. :)
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Duskviper
Wanderer

Unread post by Duskviper »

Soldier of Od wrote:I'm going to chip in for the other option and say I wouldn't allow it! Fungi isn't plants, so I would say the default answer is no, unless you as the GM decide to expand the power to affect things other than plants - which you are quite welcome to do! :)

I think that some kind of control fungi type power would be more interesting as a separate ability, because I don't think the main the powers of plant control mesh well with fungi (I don't see how you could animate a mushroom to do much that would benefit you), but mainly because fungus has a different "feel", culturally, to plants, and would be cool to let it stand out on its own. "Captain Redwood" and "Doctor Toadstool" seem like different types of characters to me. :)

I myself was thinking about making a power that deals with Fungi. Maybe an APS: Fungi power. I am curious on to others suggestions on what you all would think about what an APS: Fungi power could do with it. :)
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Duskviper wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:I'm going to chip in for the other option and say I wouldn't allow it! Fungi isn't plants, so I would say the default answer is no, unless you as the GM decide to expand the power to affect things other than plants - which you are quite welcome to do! :)

I myself was thinking about making a power that deals with Fungi. Maybe an APS: Fungi power. I am curious on to others suggestions on what you all would think about what an APS: Fungi power could do with it. :)

APS Fungus, in an ideal world, will grant Spores and toxins. Many Fungi are highly toxic, deadly when eaten. Then there's Psilocybin from the "Magic" mushroom, which can be incapacitating for hours.

Some Fungi use their spores to take over ants, driving them like zombies while the thing eats the ant. Mind control mushrooms!

Also, in my mind, APS Fungus makes your toon into this.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

That's the kind of stuff I was thinking off! Nice :ok:
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Personally, after considering the arguments (above), I would disallow Plant Control to have any affect on a fungus.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”