Carpet of Adhesion vs Speedster

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Carpet of Adhesion vs Speedster

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

So I was talking with a friend about magic and super powers, and we both came up with the question of what would happen to a speedster running full out who then hit a carpet of adhesion. My first thought was you're looking at broken ankles at least based on the fast that pretty much however they roll to save their feet at least will be stopping even if the rest of their body keeps moving, or trying to at least.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Re: Carpet of Adhesion vs Speedster

Unread post by ITWastrel »

The speedster can stop on a dime, but in this case he may have to stop faster.

I would follow the result of the saving throw to determine any F.U.N.* involved. On a failed save, take 10D6(or more, I'm a softie) damage and become both prone and stuck. On a successful save, the speedster can stop in time, and is simply stuck as per the normal spell effect.

In the most extreme "rolled a 1 and I hate this character anyway" situation, were a humanoid running at sonic speed suddenly stuck by the feet, their upper body would continue forward. Assuming the feet/legs stayed attached (which, if we're talking humans, they would not) the upper body would continue at 700MPH while the feet stopped instantly. The poor bastard would snap forward, slapping the ground (an unyielding surface) at 700MPH. Death is certain, but for game terms, we can remember that by the rules, a character going 700 MPH has a +140 damage bonus. We can assume the cartoon-like impact of a somehow not disassembled speedster would also receive that bonus, and roll 10D6+140 for impact damage (certainly fatal for most people) on the poor bastard and be done with it. Maybe whip out the optional crash damage tables as well.

*Further Unnecessary Nastiness
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Daniel Stoker wrote:So I was talking with a friend about magic and super powers, and we both came up with the question of what would happen to a speedster running full out who then hit a carpet of adhesion. My first thought was you're looking at broken ankles at least based on the fast that pretty much however they roll to save their feet at least will be stopping even if the rest of their body keeps moving, or trying to at least.

Daniel Stoker

Depending on the power's stoping (jumping over) ability & the char's perception bonus&rolls, this is essentially correct.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

I largely agree with the above but for a speedster to go from max speed to zero in an instant there should be a save. Even a normal person running full speed is likely to hurt himself in the fall.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Thanks for the answers here so far, looks like we all have the same basic thought about what would probably happen. :)

Daniel Stoker
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Wasn't there a Q&A answer that said something to the effect that the spell applied "brakes" to those in motion when they were caught by the spell?
Daniel Stoker
Knight

That's definitely possible, but I'm not sure where it would be to look it up at this point.

Daniel Stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Unless the Speedster has unbreakable bones the result would not be pretty.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Warshield73
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: "I will not be silenced. I will not submit. I will find the truth and shout it to the world. "

Unread post by Warshield73 »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Unless the Speedster has unbreakable bones the result would not be pretty.

Even with. I mean tendons and muscles don't like this much either. Personal experience involving a cross country race and gopher hole. Didn't break a single bone but was black and blue from my ankle to my knee.
Northern Gun Chief of Robotics
Designer of NG-X40 Storm Hammer Power Armor & NG-HC1000 Dragonfly Hover Chopper
Big game hunter, explorer extra ordinaire and expert on the Aegis Buffalo
Ultimate Insider for WB 32: Lemuria, WB 33: Northern Gun 1, WB 34: Northern Gun 2
Showdown Backer Robotech RPG Tactics
Benefactor Insider Rifts Bestiary: Vol 1, Rifts Bestiary: Vol 2

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”