Electrical Damage

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Electrical Damage

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Is it just me or is APS: Electricity a bit underpowered? And there are no electrical shock effects or anything.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Electrical Damage

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Yep, for a super power it is undered powered from what is shown in media. Just look at Misaka Mikoto the 'Electro-Master' from from A Certain Scientific Railgun & A Certain Magical Index. While her powers are in the extreme, they are the ""cool"" part of the power type.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

I am going to do a revised version of it in the New Powers thread then. Thanks.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Maybe have some of the abilities being power based skills or personalizations.
The cool abilities in A Certain Scientific Railgun seam to be power aplication skills rather than sub-powers.
If you are going to watch the three above anime series, my suggestion is to watch it after your first write up.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I was thinking of having some of the abilities only be in effect on a specific dice roll. Like maybe have the electrical shock causing momentary paralyzation of a limb on an unmodified 18, 19 0r 20. Because sometimes lightning can strke you but not have as damaging effects every time.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Unread post by Father Goose »

That would be a fun change to the power.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Well, I want to be careful not to make it too incredibly powerful. But it should at least be on par with APS: Fire, which right now it's not, the way the book has it written up.
Father Goose
Adventurer
Comment: If I could go back in time, I would join the cast of "The Thrilling Adventure Hour"

Agreed, and your ideas are more in line with making it interesting rather than overpowered.
taalismn wrote:Hey, you came up with a novel, attention-getting idea, you did the legwork, you worked it through, you made it fit the setting, even though initial thought might be 'nah, it can't work, it's too silly/stupid/lame', and you posted something that only required a little adjustment, yet can be added to, without diluting its original concept. How can we not give you due support and credit?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Father Goose wrote:Agreed, and your ideas are more in line with making it interesting rather than overpowered.
Yeah, the idea is to make it a bit more powerful but not try and combine powers which are already powerful on their own. If I made every aspect of electricity full on all the time, it would be too much of a power creep.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Something like this...

Alter Physical Structure: Electricity (Revised)
Based on new material provided by Wayne Breaux, Jr and Glen Evans

The super being transforms into a living dynamo of electrical power able to manipulate and control aspects of electricity. Most of the time the character looks like a person
with electrical energy rippling through his body, but if he chooses to do so, he can become an energy being composed entirely of electricity.
1. Electrical Ray: The character fires a line of electricity from his fingers or eyes.
Range: 100 feet (30.5 m) + 20 feet (6 m) per level of experience.
Damage: 1D6x10+2 per level of experience.
Duration: Instant
Attacks per Melee: Each blast counts as one melee attack/action.
Bonus: +2 to strike
2. Electrical Discharge: The character can release a small electrical energy bolt that does little physical harm, but can disrupt the nervous system.
Range: 100 feet (30.5 m) + 20 feet (6m) per level of experience.
Damage: 1D6 S.D.C. only, plus the victim must make a saving throw vs. non-lethal poison (P.E. bonus only) or suffers loss of initiative, -6 to strike, parry, and dodge, and lose
one melee attack/action for 1D6 melee rounds. A successful saving throw causes no damage but the victim still looses initiative for one melee round.
3. Lightning Bolts: The character can release streams of electricity in the form of lightning. Whatever is directly hit by the lightning bolt takes full damage. Everything
within 5 feet (1.52 m) per level of experience of the intended target takes 3D6 points of damage. The bolts of electricity can be emitted from the fingers or eyes.
Range: 300 feet (91.5 m) + 30 feet (9 m) per level of experience.
Damage: 5D6 +2 points of damage per level of experience.
Attacks per Melee: Equal to the character’s hand to hand attacks/actions.
Bonus: +3 to strike.
4. Electrical Travel: The character becomes a being of pure electrical energy, making it possible for him to travel through electrical conductive materials at supersonic
speed. The moment the transformation takes place, the character must “leap” into the nearest electrical outlet or entrance point (a receiver, modem, open telephone line, etc) or
the character can choose to travel along electrical conductive metal or exposed wiring. If no conductive material is available within a 20 foot (6 m) radius at the moment of
transformation, the character must either engage in electrical flight or revert back to his regular form.
Range: 1000 miles (1600 km) using a land line telephone exchange (make a telephone call then travel through the hard wiring/cable then jump out of the receiver the moment
the phone is answered) or by jumping into a television cable or fiber optic communication system, world-wide travel is possible.
Duration: The transformation last 3 seconds unless the character enters a conductive material then he can remain in electrical form a mere two minutes. Although the character
can travel effortlessly through electrical wires and circuits, attempting to remain in electrical form any longer is the equivalent of holding ones breath underwater. The maximum
the character can remain this way pass two minutes is equal to his P.E. attribute score in seconds. Going beyond this time limit will cause the character to lose consciousness
resulting in instant death.
Damage: None, the electrical transformation is too weak to inflict any damage.
Attacks per Melee: Counts as two melee attacks/actions.
Note: This aspect of the power is identical to the minor super ability Line Transit. Furthermore, because the character is actually inside a computer, he can engage in
physical combat and use all of his abilities in cyberspace (See Galaxy Guide™ sourcebook for further details).
5. Electric Flight: Similar to electrical travel only the character is transported through the air like a bolt of lightning. The moment the transformation takes places the
character shoots up into the air but only for a short distance.
Range: One mile (1.6 km)
Duration: One melee (15 seconds)
Damage: None. The character’s body is living energy, passing harmlessly through solid matter.
Attacks per Melee: Counts as two melee attacks/actions.
Note: This is not Flight: Energy, so the character cannot hover over the ground. Nor can the character regulate his speed. The slowest possible speed is 200 mph (321 km).
The maximum speed is 300 mph (482 km).
6. Electric Aura: The character is continually surrounded by a powerful electric field that makes him semi-invulnerable. Attackers using conventional weapons such as
clubs, knives, or guns must roll a 15 or higher to strike and do damage. Any roll less than 15 bounces off the natural armor rating harmlessly doing no damage to the character.
Physical attacks will do damage if the attacker rolls 15 or higher, however anyone who physical hits or touches the electrically charged person also suffers 2D6 points of damage.
All attacks above a roll of 15 strike and do their normal amount of damage. The only exceptions are electrical & lightning attack but they do no damage, while all fire and energy
attacks do half damage.
7. Generate Electricity: The character can generate a field of electrical energy around himself or another person with a radius of four feet (1.2 m) per level of experience.
This electric field can be used to trap and attack. Anyone who touches the electric field or tries to pass through it suffers damage.
Range: Self or other person up to 10 feet (3 m) away. The electric field has a four foot (1.2 m) radius per level of experience.
Damage: 3D6 +1D6 per level of experience to anyone who touches it. The person in the middle of the field is not harmed by the electricity unless he tries to flee or touch it.
Duration: Two melees (30 seconds)
Attacks per Melee: Creating and sustaining the electric field counts as four attacks/actions whether placed around himself or others.
8. Other Abilities and Bonuses:
Impervious to electrical attacks (do no damage)
Fire and energy attacks do half damage. Shadow powers/bolts, force bolts, and sound (sonic) attacks do full damage.
+15% to computer and electrical skills
Add 40 S.D.C.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I like this better than the canon version.
*copies into the super powers folder*
Father Goose
Adventurer

That's awesome, Reagren!
One of the things I liked about the original power is that you have two form options, one of pure electricity, the other of a person wreathed in electricity. I'm glad to see that retained while making the abilities more compelling.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I want to include paralysis effects when hit in the arm or leg and disruption of machinery. What you have is nice, Reagren, but not inclusive of all the possible effects of being hit by electricity. Also, why os there no damage from hitting things during Electric Flight. Would not a bolt of lightning do damage?
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Father Goose
Adventurer

I'm look forward to seeing what you come up with, SG.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Father Goose wrote:I'm look forward to seeing what you come up with, SG.
I'm still in the process of thinking it out. Bear wih me.
Father Goose
Adventurer

No hurry, just encouragement. :)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Reagren - a suggested edit for the electrical discharge... Consider a taser effect. After all, a non-lethal shock can cause you to lock-up and black-out.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Borast wrote:Reagren - a suggested edit for the electrical discharge... Consider a taser effect. After all, a non-lethal shock can cause you to lock-up and black-out.

That's why it only does 1D6 S.D.C. damage and not Hit Points and the penalty is the same as a stun gun/taser.

The Electric Flight comes from offical cannon material from Wayne Breaux Jr in Galaxy Guide where he talks about using APS-Electricity for Cyberjacking. I decided
to sacrifice the 1D4x10 damage from electric flight because of the Flight: Energy power in PU 1. This already has the character flying at 180 mph +10 mph per
level of experience which means +4 damage per 20 mph. Far more detailed and not as limited at electric flight.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Reagren Wright wrote:
Borast wrote:Reagren - a suggested edit for the electrical discharge... Consider a taser effect. After all, a non-lethal shock can cause you to lock-up and black-out.

That's why it only does 1D6 S.D.C. damage and not Hit Points and the penalty is the same as a stun gun/taser.

The Electric Flight comes from offical cannon material from Wayne Breaux Jr in Galaxy Guide where he talks about using APS-Electricity for Cyberjacking. I decided
to sacrifice the 1D4x10 damage from electric flight because of the Flight: Energy power in PU 1. This already has the character flying at 180 mph +10 mph per
level of experience which means +4 damage per 20 mph. Far more detailed and not as limited at electric flight.
My main criticism of your version is that it does not have the potential for knockdown each time the electricity is used to strike someone and the machine disruption if being hit by the electricity or entering the energy field. It's electricity, it should have the potential to stun and shock, for every type of attack. Also the power is vague regarding the character's SDC. It should all be converted upon becoming an electrical being, regenerating at the enhanced rate. The way it reads is that only the +40 SDC would regenerate.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The term is 'Less than lethal' since they can cause death in some unlucky individuals.
That is why there are some death %s included in the psi stunners in the DB2.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

The term is 'Less than lethal' since they can cause death in some unlucky individuals.
That is why there are some death %s included in the psi stunners in the DB2.

True...even a bean bag round can kill if it hits the Adam's apple, or aggravates an unhealed injury in a critical area. Heck, a single lucky punch can kill on the spot...and that is discounting the ones that cause a lethal injury that kills later (anyone else remember the sucker punch in CSI that ended-up being lethal?).
Heck, I'm sure even a single tear gas container can be lethal. (Not referring to accidental/deliberate hits by the container.)

However, I was being literal, since non-lethal levels of electric current can cause you to black out, and in the case of DC, cause you to lock-up until the current stops. After all, the voltage doesn't kill you, it's the amperage across the heart that does that.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Alter Physical Structure: Electricity - Revised (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

This is an incredible transformation into a living electrical conduit and battery, as well as the ability to manipulate and control aspects of electricity. The superbeing either ripples with electrical energy with energy crackling from the eyes, or actually tuns into a humanoid who appears to be an energy beng composed of electricity.

1. Electrical SDC: The character's body becomes energy, gaining an additional 40 SDC and capable of healing at an increased rate (4D6 SDC points per ten minutes). When the character is reduced to zero SDC, he loses the ability to stay transformed and cannot access any of these powers.
The character's body is a powerful electric field that makes him semi-invulnerable. Attackers using conventional weapons such as clubs, knives, or guns must roll a 15 or higher to strike and do damage. Any roll less than 15 bounces off the natural armor rating harmlessly doing no damage to the character. Physical attacks will do damage if the attacker rolls 15 or higher, however anyone who physically hits or touches the electrically charged person also suffers 2D6 points of damage. All attacks above a roll of 15 strike and do their normal amount of damage. The only exceptions are electrical and lightning attack but they do no damage, while all fire and energy attacks do half damage. Shadow powers/bolts, force bolts, and sound (sonic) attacks also do full damage.

2. Electrical Attacks: The character is able to shoot electrical energy from his fingers or eyes. The electricity is shocking, so when hit by an attack, flesh and blood opponents have a 01-50% chance of being knocked down, losing initiative and one melee attack/action. Machines hit by the electricity will overload, being rendered useless for 1d6 minutes, including robots and power armor as well as electric drills and computers.

A) Electrical Ray: This is the character's most powerful blast.
Damage: 1D6x10+2 per level of experience, plus the chance of knockdown and the machine disruption.
Bonus: +2 to strike with electrical ray

B) Mini Lightning Bolt: The character can release a small electrical energy bolt that does little physical harm but can potentially knock opponents down and disrupt machines.
Damage: 1D6 SDC only, plus the chance of knockdown and machine disruption.
Attacks Per Melee: Uses one melee attack

C) Lightning Bolt: The character can release streams of electricity in the form of lightning. Whatever is directly hit by the lightning bolt takes full damage. Everything within 5 feet (1.52 m) per level of experience of the intended target takes 2D6 points of damage. Plus the chance of knockdown and machine disruprion for everything taking damage from the bolt.
Range: 300 feet (91.5 m) + 30 feet (9 m) per level of experience, plus 5 foot radius around strike point.
Damage: 5D6 +2 points of damage per level of experience to main target, plus 2D6 damage to everything in range. Plus chance of knockdown and machine disruption.

3. Electrical Travel: The character becomes a being of pure electrical energy, making it possible for him to travel through electrical conductive materials at supersonic speed or travel through the air as lightning.

A) Line Transit: The character can travel along wires and cables at a rate of one mile per melee action but is limited in this form of travel by the need for wires to travel throgh. He also requires an outlet/exit point, such as a receiver, open telephone line, modem, electrical outlet, etc. If someone is touching the exit point, they will take 2D6 damage and have a 01-50% chance of being knocked down, losing initiative and one melee attack/action.
The effective range on this is 300 miles; attempting to travel further than that requires a navigation roll- Base Skill: 55% +4% per level of experience (-5% penalty for every 300 miles of distance). A failed roll means that the character emerges 3-18 miles from his target location (roll 3D6 to determine the distance). If the location is unfamiliar, he is in a strange place and does not know where he is until he can get out and ask directions. The character will need to find out where he is before he can try again.
The character can also use this ability to hide inside wiring and machines, and he can potentially overload a machine while inside it, overloading it for 1D6 minues.
Range: 300 miles (1600 km) before needing to navigate; effectivelly unilimited.
Duration: Can remain in wiring indefinitely and can even occupy machines in this manner
Damage: None, but the character can choose to do 2D^ damage upon exiting to anyone holding the exit point (as in a phone or electrical outlet
Attacks per Melee: Counts as two melee attacks/actions to enter or exit wiring
Note: Furthermore, because the character is actually inside a computer, he can engage in physical combat and use all of his abilities in cyberspace (See Galaxy Guide™ sourcebook for further details).

B) Electric Flight: The individual can transform into a bolt of living energy and rocket himself short distances.
Maximum Range: One mile (1.6 km, max. speed 300 mph, min. speed 200mph. A full speed body block or ram at this speed does 1D4X10 damage and has a 01-50% chance of knocking the target down, making them lose initiative and one melee attack/action. It will also overload machines if hitting them, making them lose function for 1D6 minutes.
Damage: None except from ramming/collisions, or will overload machines if passing closer than 5 feet from them (losing function for 1D6 minutes)
Attacks per Melee: Counts as two melee attacks/actions
Note: This is not Flight: Energy, so the character cannot hover over the ground. Nor can the character regulate his speed.

4. Generate Electricity: The character can generate a field of electrical energy around himself or another person with a radius of four feet (1.2 m) per level of experience. This electric field can be used to trap and attack. Anyone who touches the electric field or tries to pass through it suffers damage.
Range: Self or other person up to 10 feet (3 m) away. The electric field has a four foot (1.2 m) radius per level of experience.
Damage: 3D6 +1D6 per level of experience to anyone who touches it. The person in the middle of the field is not harmed by the electricity unless he tries to flee or touch it. Flesh and blood creatures caught in the field can potentially be knocked down (01-50% chance, losing initiative and one melee attack/action) , and machines will overload, losing power while in the field and 1D6 minutes after leaving the field
Duration: Concentration. He can maintain it indefinitely as long as he concentrates, but this makes it difficult to do anything else.
Attacks per Melee: Creating and sustaining the electric field counts as four attacks/actions whether placed around himself or others.

5. Other Abilities and Bonuses:
Character has a Horror Factor of 14
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Reagren Wright

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Alter Physical Structure: Electricity - Revised (Major) By Stone Gargoyle

This is an incredible transformation into a living electrical conduit and battery, as well as the ability to manipulate and control aspects of electricity. The super being either ripples with electrical energy with energy crackling from the eyes, or actually turns into a humanoid who appears to be an energy being composed of electricity.

1. Electrical SDC: The character's body becomes energy, gaining an additional 40 SDC and capable of healing at an increased rate (4D6 SDC points per ten minutes). When the character is reduced to zero SDC, he loses the ability to stay transforms and cannot access any of these powers.
The character's body is a powerful electric field that makes him semi-invulnerable. Attackers using conventional weapons such as clubs, knives, or guns must roll a 15 or higher to strike and do damage. Any roll less than 15 bounces off the natural armor rating harmlessly doing no damage to the character. Physical attacks will do damage if the attacker rolls 15 or higher, however anyone who physical hits or touches the electrically charged person also suffers 2D6 points of damage. All attacks above a roll of 15 strike and do their normal amount of damage. The only exceptions are electrical and lightning attack but they do no damage, while all fire and energy attacks do half damage. Shadow powers/bolts, force bolts, and sound (sonic) attacks also do full damage.

2. Electrical Attacks: The character is able to shoot electrical energy from his fingers or eyes. The electricity is shocking, so when hit by an attack, flesh and blood opponents have a 01-50% chance of being knocked down, losing initiative and one melee attack/action. Machines hit by the electricity will overload, being rendered useless for 1d6 minutes, including robots and power armor as well as electric drills and computers.

A) Electrical Ray: This is the character's most powerful blast.
Damage: 1D6x10+2 per level of experience, plus the chance of knockdown and the machine disruption.
Bonus: +2 to strike with electrical ray

B) Mini Lightning Bolt: The character can release a small electrical energy bolt that does little physical harm but can potentially knock opponents down and disrupt machines.
Damage: 1D6 SDC only, plus the chance of knockdown and machine disruption.
Attacks Per Melee: Uses one melee attack

C) Lightning Bolt: The character can release streams of electricity in the form of lightning. Whatever is directly hit by the lightning bolt takes full damage. Everything within 5 feet (1.52 m) per level of experience of the intended target takes 2D6 points of damage. Plus the chance of knockdown and machine disruption for everything taking damage from the bolt.
Range: 300 feet (91.5 m) + 30 feet (9 m) per level of experience, plus 5 foot radius around strike point.
Damage: 5D6 +2 points of damage per level of experience to main target, plus 2D6 damage to everything in range. Plus chance of knockdown and machine disruption.

3. Electrical Travel: The character becomes a being of pure electrical energy, making it possible for him to travel through electrical conductive materials at supersonic speed or travel through the air as lightning.

A) Line Transit: The character can travel along wires and cables at a rate of one mile pre melee action but is limited in this form of travel by the need for wires to travel through. He also requires an outlet/exit point, such as a receiver, open telephone line, modem, electrical outlet, etc. If someone is touching the exit point, they will take 2D6 damage and have a 01-50% chance of being knocked down, losing initiative and one melee attack/action.
The effective range on this is 300 miles; attempting to travel further than that requires a navigation roll- Base Skill: 55% +4% per level of experience (-5% penalty for every 300 miles of distance). A failed roll means that the character emerges 3-18 miles from his target location (roll 3D6 to determine the distance). If the location is unfamiliar, he is in a strange place and does not know where he is until he can get out and ask directions. The character will need to find out where he is before he can try again.
The character can also use this ability to hide inside wiring and machines, and he can potentially overload a machine wle inside it, overloading it for 1D6 minues.
Range: 300 miles (1600 km) before needing to navigate; effectively unlimited.
Duration: Can remain in wiring indefinitely and can even occupy machines in this manner
Damage: None, but the character can choose to do 2D^ damage upon exiting to anyone holding the exit point (as in a phone or electrical outlet
Attacks per Melee: Counts as two melee attacks/actions to enter or exit wiring
Note: Furthermore, because the character is actually inside a computer, he can engage in physical combat and use all of his abilities in cyberspace (See Galaxy Guide™ sourcebook for further details).

B) Electric Flight: The individual can transform into a bolt of living energy and rocket himself short distances.
Maximum Range: One mile (1.6 km, max. speed 300 mph, min. speed 200mph. A full speed body block or ram at this speed does 1D4X10 damage and has a 01-50% chance of knocking the target down, making them lose initiative and one melee attack/action. It will also overload machines if hitting them, making them lose fnction for 1D6 minutes.
Damage: None except from ramming/collisions, or will overload machines if passing closer than 5 feet from them (losing function for 1D6 minutes)
Attacks per Melee: Counts as two melee attacks/actions
Note: This is not Flight: Energy, so the character cannot hover over the ground. Nor can the character regulate his speed.

4. Generate Electricity: The character can generate a field of electrical energy around himself or another person with a radius of four feet (1.2 m) per level of experience. This electric field can be used to trap and attack. Anyone who touches the electric field or tries to pass through it suffers damage.
Damage: 3D6 +1D6 per level of experience to anyone who touches it. The person in the middle of the field is not harmed by the electricity unless he tries to flee or touch it. Flesh and blood creatures caught in the field can potentially be knocked down (01-50% chance, losing initiative and one melee attack/action) , and machines will overload, losing power while in the field and 1D6 minutes after leaving the field
Duration: Concentration. He can maintain it indefinitely as long as he concentrates, but this makes it difficult to do anything else.

:ok:
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Alter Physical Structure: Electricity - Revised (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

I don't necessarily agree that having control over electricity would translate to a bonus to any computer skills.
For electrical skills...I'm on the fence for that...knowledge of code, circuit design, etc... The power would have no effect. Now, if you were attempting to ensure something was functioning correctly...I can see a bonus applicable.

Outside that... Nice write-up. :)
Fnord

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Borast wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Alter Physical Structure: Electricity - Revised (Major) by Stone Gargoyle

I don't necessarily agree that having control over electricity would translate to a bonus to any computer skills.
For electrical skills...I'm on the fence for that...knowledge of code, circuit design, etc... The power would have no effect. Now, if you were attempting to ensure something was functioning correctly...I can see a bonus applicable.

The bonuses to skills were something I borrowed from Reagren's version. I agreed with them because if you think about it, being able to get inside wiring would give you a passable knowledge of where those wires led to and what their functions were. It doesn't give you the skill, only bonuses because of familiarity with the inner workings of electrical machines.
I had also considered that if the character were a paramedic they could shock paddle someone without the paddles by touching them, to start their heart. But that leads to a slippery slope when you start letting powers start or stop someone's heart.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Borast wrote:

I would suggest you watch the anime series I mentioned in my 1st post for this topic.
Or maybe read the synopses for the three series & read the character profile of the main char.
Note: in the series the power users are graded from level 0 (unpowered) to level five (the level of the main character). HU Major super abilities are about level 4 or level 3.5 in ability. (based on my knowledge of both the HU power and the powers shown in the series.)

Other series that pair alongside the mentioned anime are under the title "A Certain Magical Index".
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I also considered having the character be able to power machines by touching them or wearing them, in the case of power armor, but there is no precedent for it in the books.
Father Goose
Adventurer

I am very pleased with this new version of the power.
Thanks, SG!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Father Goose wrote:I am very pleased with this new version of the power.
Thanks, SG!
I appreciate the positive feedback. Thank you.
Reagren Wright

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Borast wrote:

The bonuses to skills were something I borrowed from Reagren's version. I agreed with them because if you think about it, being able to get inside wiring would give you a passable knowledge of where those wires led to and what their functions were. It doesn't give you the skill, only bonuses because of familiarity with the inner workings of electrical machines.
I had also considered that if the character were a paramedic they could shock paddle someone without the paddles by touching them, to start their heart. But that leads to a slippery slope when you start letting powers start or stop someone's heart.

The bonuses to computers and electrical skills comes about because of Wayne Breaux Jr discussing how APS-Electricity can be used in Cyberjacking in Galaxy Guide
sourcebook (page 210). This is another reason why I got rid of the Electric Flight damage to make it more incline to Lightning Rider to allow APS-E to enjoy additional benefits
of navigating through telephone exchanges, cables and conduits (although the disuse of land line phones is making this aspect of the power rather difficult). Minor Super Ability
Line Transit (PU 3) now being included with APS-E and makes feel similar to established super heroes/villains who possess this power and makes it fit better with the newer
updated APS powers in PU1 and PU3, which are way beyond Kevin and Wayne Breaux original vision of them in HU revised and 2nd edition. Stone Gargoyle did a nice job
"cleaning up" my revision of how I see this power working in a HU 2.5 edition :ok: .
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Reagren Wright wrote:The bonuses to computers and electrical skills comes about because of Wayne Breaux Jr discussing how APS-Electricity can be used in Cyberjacking in Galaxy Guide sourcebook (page 210). This is another reason why I got rid of the Electric Flight damage to make it more incline to Lightning Rider to allow APS-E to enjoy additional benefits of navigating through telephone exchanges, cables and conduits (although the disuse of land line phones is making this aspect of the power rather difficult). Minor Super Ability Line Transit (PU 3) now being included with APS-E and makes feel similar to established super heroes/villains who possess this power and makes it fit better with the newer updated APS powers in PU1 and PU3, which are way beyond Kevin and Wayne Breaux original vision of them in HU revised and 2nd edition. Stone Gargoyle did a nice job "cleaning up" my revision of how I see this power working in a HU 2.5 edition :ok: .
I took elements of yours and combined them with my ideas. Your version gave the character too much control of the electricity if he would be able to neutralize its effects. Like APS: Fire, there needed to be a dangerousness to the power that the character could not control. I left the damage to the flight power because it doesn't make sense that the character would be able to completely shut of the electrical current and part of that would be needed to propel him through the air. With Line Transit he's traveling a conduit, which would make it easier to shut off damage. If there needs to be a limit on his ability to stay in Line Transit, then make the number of hours he can stay inside wiring equal to his PE attribute number.
Reagren Wright

I'm tempted to post others (all new and different powers) as they are currently in limbo along with two Heroes Unlimited sourcebooks
along with my dream of Palladium once again gaining the rights to Justice Machine, but that is going to have to be a no. However I feel
the revisions might be worth it just to get opinions on them.
Father Goose
Adventurer

They would be great additions to the New Powers thread.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Reagren Wright wrote:I'm tempted to post others (all new and different powers) as they are currently in limbo along with two Heroes Unlimited sourcebooks
along with my dream of Palladium once again gaining the rights to Justice Machine, but that is going to have to be a no. However I feel

You could always PM me with them and I could give you feedback that way. I don't think it is appropriate to post things to the boards that are going to be published in books.
Father Goose
Adventurer

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:I'm tempted to post others (all new and different powers) as they are currently in limbo along with two Heroes Unlimited sourcebooks

You could always PM me with them and I could give you feedback that way. I don't think it is appropriate to post things to the boards that are going to be published in books.

Good point. I totally misread the part about being destined for future publication and now withdraw my suggestion of posting them in the New Powers thread.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Father Goose wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Good point. I totally misread the part about being destined for future publication and now withdraw my suggestion of posting them in the New Powers thread.

That is not to say that stuff that isn't destined for publication wouldn't be welcome in the New Powers thread. Me and Taalismn are the only ones posting there currently.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I'm going to have to do a revised version of APS: Fire next. I noticed some inconsistencies in the damage amounts.

Edit: Well, it took me three hours but APS: Fire is done. You can check it out in the New Powers thread.
Father Goose
Adventurer

I saw it and like it. Makes me want to play around with some revisions myself, once I finish a couple of other projects.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Father Goose wrote:I saw it and like it. Makes me want to play around with some revisions myself, once I finish a couple of other projects.
The more the merrier. Like I said, ain't but me and T posting there these days.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I like this better than the canon version.

And me to the list!

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Daniel Stoker wrote:

And me to the list!

Daniel Stoker

What list??? Also, I see you quoted Drewkitty~..~ but I'm not seeing his original response.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:

And me to the list!

Daniel Stoker

What list??? Also, I see you quoted Drewkitty~..~ but I'm not seeing his original response.

scroll down from the top...just after RW's version.

I think he is saying he like RW's better than the canon one too.

Got/like your's too SG ;)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:scroll down from the top...just after RW's version.

I think he is saying he like RW's better than the canon one too.

Got/like your's too SG ;)
Thanks! :ok:
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Sorry, I was late to the thread and replied about his version and then bam, ran across more after that. :oops:

Daniel Stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

But which one did you like better?
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I think yours edges out for the win, but it seems a bit ‘fuller’ or at least more comprehensive and included the extra SDC with the transformation and handles flight a little better.

Daniel Stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I don't think RW has much experience writing powers, whereas that's most of what I have done on the boards. I'm sure he would improve over time.
Reagren Wright

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't think RW has much experience writing powers, whereas that's most of what I have done on the boards. I'm sure he would improve over time.

:shock: :( :-(
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Reagren Wright wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I don't think RW has much experience writing powers, whereas that's most of what I have done on the boards. I'm sure he would improve over time.

:shock: :( :-(
Sorry if I offend. I merely say this because there are places in your writeup where you repeated the same information twice.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Just look at Misaka Mikoto the 'Electro-Master' from from A Certain Scientific Railgun & A Certain Magical Index.

This reminds me that I've been intending to watch those for years but like many other series got put off and forgot :(

Stone Gargoyle wrote:And there are no electrical shock effects or anything.

I figure for a more rounded concept you'd pick other powers like "Control Static" or "Electrical Field"

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”