Do these combat attributes exist in HU?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Do these combat attributes exist in HU?

Unread post by Kraynic »

I am (at slightly faster than a glacial pace) working on an HU character sheet for Roll20. I haven't touched HU this century, so what I did play long ago wasn't the current edition. There are a lot of books that I haven't been exposed to, and I won't be buying them just to create this sheet. However, I want to be sure I'm not missing too many things as I assemble this thing so I hopefully don't get too many "why isn't there" questions when I release it into the wild... So I thought I would pester people on this forum with a couple questions now, and maybe some later as I get closer to releasing this thing.

1. Are there any skills or abilities that increase your chances of a ranged critical strike? The Longbowman OCC gets that in Fantasy, so my fantasy sheet has a place to alter the critical strike threshold of ranged attacks separate from melee. Is it safe to remove this input from the HU sheet, or are there skills I'm not seeing (maybe in other HU series books) that affect ranged critical strike chances?

2. Another couple fields from the fantasy sheet that I'm not sure are necessary are the mounted parry/dodge bonus and mounted/charge damage fields. Are there any mounted, vehicle, or flight combat rules that I need to accommodate with those fields with some relabelling, or can they safely go away?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Do these combat attributes exist in HU?

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

the sniper skill in the espionage skills
for bows, slings and thrown...a high PP & the targeting WP.
But that will just get a better chance of a mod 20...which doesn't necessarily give a Crit.
For modern weapons...none

I have never had a char ride a horse in HU
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Hmm, if I am reading the sniper skill correctly, it only adds a bonus to an aimed strike roll, but nothing for the critical strike chance. I'm assuming I am safe removing the option to change the ranged critical strike threshold then. If something turns up later, I guess I can add it back.

I wasn't really expecting people to be riding horses in HU. I just thought there might be some vehicle combat or flight rules that would add that sort of bonuses. If not, that just allows me to remove those 2 bonus inputs.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Kraynic wrote:1. Are there any skills or abilities that increase your chances of a ranged critical strike? The Longbowman OCC gets that in Fantasy, so my fantasy sheet has a place to alter the critical strike threshold of ranged attacks separate from melee. Is it safe to remove this input from the HU sheet, or are there skills I'm not seeing (maybe in other HU series books) that affect ranged critical strike chances?

There are options in NINJAS AND SUPERSPIES that can do that (and the N&SS rules get referenced in HU, and vice versa).
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Regularguy wrote:
Kraynic wrote:1. Are there any skills or abilities that increase your chances of a ranged critical strike? The Longbowman OCC gets that in Fantasy, so my fantasy sheet has a place to alter the critical strike threshold of ranged attacks separate from melee. Is it safe to remove this input from the HU sheet, or are there skills I'm not seeing (maybe in other HU series books) that affect ranged critical strike chances?

There are options in NINJAS AND SUPERSPIES that can do that (and the N&SS rules get referenced in HU, and vice versa).

Are these often used? As in, something that people in most games would expect to use? And, do you know the names of any skills that would do that, so that I can attempt to look it up?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

No they are not often used.
➣Because N&S is a different game.
➢All the HU conversions in the N&S book are for HU1.
➣And not all GMs have N&S, so most will not allow something that is in a book they don't have.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Kraynic wrote:
Regularguy wrote:

Are these often used? As in, something that people in most games would expect to use? And, do you know the names of any skills that would do that, so that I can attempt to look it up?

I’m not sure how often it’s used; just that — for example — HU2’s entry for Ancient Master lists “The Ninjas & Superspies Option!”, specifying that the Master “can be created with any of the 40 Martial Arts described in Ninjas & Superspies, complete with the Mystical Oriental Martial Arts Powers — instead of those described in this section previously.” (Come to think of it, the Mutant Animal section also includes a note about how “Ninjitsu can be used if one has the TMNT RPG or Ninjas & Superspies).”

Having said that, off the top of my head Moo Gi Gong puts the critical strike range with any weapon in the natural 19-20 range at 1st level, and later broadens it out to 18-20; so, that sort of thing.
Kraynic
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Kraynic »

Regularguy wrote:
Kraynic wrote:
Regularguy wrote:

I’m not sure how often it’s used; just that — for example — HU2’s entry for Ancient Master lists “The Ninjas & Superspies Option!”, specifying that the Master “can be created with any of the 40 Martial Arts described in Ninjas & Superspies, complete with the Mystical Oriental Martial Arts Powers — instead of those described in this section previously.” (Come to think of it, the Mutant Animal section also includes a note about how “Ninjitsu can be used if one has the TMNT RPG or Ninjas & Superspies).”

Having said that, off the top of my head Moo Gi Gong puts the critical strike range with any weapon in the natural 19-20 range at 1st level, and later broadens it out to 18-20; so, that sort of thing.

Thanks. Looking at it, that looks like it is probably supposed to be all melee and thrown weapons, and not apply if that character picked up a revolver or something. I have melee set up where you can change it in one place to affect every melee attack. Ranged will probably have to be set up to alter each weapon/attack individually to account for different ranged attacks that can be affected or not by something like that.

Of course, it isn't real specific so I can see people running with it applying to absolutely everything. Setting it up individually will make either interpretation workable.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Kraynic wrote:Thanks. Looking at it, that looks like it is probably supposed to be all melee and thrown weapons, and not apply if that character picked up a revolver or something.

Fair enough, but (a) you’d mentioned the Longbowman OCC, and (b) as far as I can tell, Moo Gi Gong works as well with bows or crossbows as it does with a hurled axe or a throwing knife.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”