duration of Transferal/Possession expiring

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

duration of Transferal/Possession expiring

Unread post by Axelmania »

https://www.palladiumbooks.com/index.ph ... Itemid=200

29 The super power of Possession. If the body of the possessor dies while he is in a different person, will he die, or will he be stuck in the new persons body forever?
    Answer: He will not be stuck in the body forever, instead, when the duration elapses, the characters essence is expelled, and fades away.

Pg 295 of HU2 says under Duration "the character can maintain the possession indefinitely".

In what situations might this "essence is expelled" situation apply? Some which come to mind:
    1) maybe the psychic power of Exorcism?
    2) possessor is mind-controlled or charmed into voluntarily leaving
    3) 24 hour duration expires if you paid 15 PPE to activate it via a Magic Object (pg 149)
    4) your magic weapon doesn't like you and cancels your power
    5) Mystic Bestowed w/ T/P gets hit by a Negate Magic or Anti-Magic Cloud and fails his save (+4)
    6) same for Mystic Object, except no +4 bonus

In the last 2 it makes me wonder though: should this require targeting the original body? The body that is being possessed? Either? Both?

That'd be an important question for how NM/AMC would work against Multiple Selves or Energy Doppleganger too.

Not knowing canon, I figure I'd house rule it like these spells could negate instances of powers in action but you would need to target the body itself to remove all powers.

So NM could send a possessing mind back to its host body, but that body would still retain the ability to possess others, still be indestructible if you had that, etc.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: duration of Transferal/Possession expiring

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I might allow the possessing spirit to try possessing someone new on expulsion if their original body is no longer able to take them back. It would depend on the player and how they run their character, or if it was an NPC with the power.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
foilfodder
Explorer

Unread post by foilfodder »

Axelmania wrote:
Pg 295 of HU2 says under Duration "the character can maintain the possession indefinitely".

In what situations might this "essence is expelled" situation apply? Some which come to mind:
    1) maybe the psychic power of Exorcism?
    2) possessor is mind-controlled or charmed into voluntarily leaving
    3) 24 hour duration expires if you paid 15 PPE to activate it via a Magic Object (pg 149)
    4) your magic weapon doesn't like you and cancels your power
    5) Mystic Bestowed w/ T/P gets hit by a Negate Magic or Anti-Magic Cloud and fails his save (+4)
    6) same for Mystic Object, except no +4 bonus

In the last 2 it makes me wonder though: should this require targeting the original body? The body that is being possessed? Either? Both?

That'd be an important question for how NM/AMC would work against Multiple Selves or Energy Doppleganger too.

Not knowing canon, I figure I'd house rule it like these spells could negate instances of powers in action but you would need to target the body itself to remove all powers.

So NM could send a possessing mind back to its host body, but that body would still retain the ability to possess others, still be indestructible if you had that, etc.

In cases 5 it is important to notes if you are targeting with Negate/Anti-Magic
1) ENDPOINT - the body which has been possessed
- I would says this breaks the Transferal on the subject only if the cause is magical in nature
2) SOURCE - the body of the Mystically Bestowed which is using the power
- IF powers are negated no further possessions attempted and spirit returns to original body,

I labeled the examples ENDPOINT (victim) and SOURCE (User) because it would apply to any magical type be it a spellcaster, magic circle, item/artifact; not just a Mystically Bestowed character. From your post you asked about use in both cases but it seems you are assuming use of Negate Magic on the victim's body (ENDPOINT) at the end of your post.

I believe the only way a soul perishes is it has nowhere to go; so in addition to the original body being dead, if it was rendered "soul-proof" somehow, like a Power Circle or barrier spell which specifically works against souls being constructed around the User (SOURCE) after the possesion power is used but before it is ended, I would say that would also kill the user once the soul tries to return to it's body.

Side-note #1: if you hit a victm body with Soul-Drinking Rune Weapons, both souls in the body would be in danger.
Side-note #2: some magics are too strong to be affected by Anti-Magic Cloud. Rune weapons are specifically stated as immune, but GM could always house-rule in other specific magics/effects.
Side-note #3: regarding Mystically Bestowed, their source of power is considered magical; but I don't believe the use of their powers always is. Pretty sure there is an answer in the F.A.Q. somewhere but it would take digging...
Examples:
a) a Mystically Bestowed's Transferance/Possession Power directly affects to victim, so Anti-Magic Cloud would be a shield, but using Negate Magic on the victim of wouldn't work, as at ENDPOINT it is a "super-power" not a magic spell.
b) a Mystically Bestowed using the Earth/Fire/Water Control Power, constructions created would not be deemed "magical" as they are using elementals already present, the power only manipulates the elements. So is USE the Power considered "magical" itself or just another "super power" Hurling fire/earth/water into a Anti-Magic Cloud would still affect whatever was there, but possibily weakened due to loss of control of the element upon entering the anti-magic zone.
c) Mystically Bestowed character has a physical trait, claws/fangs/etc; Are these considered magical and thus able to hurt an character with Invulnerablity? I would say no, it is the character's magically imbued Physical Strength that allows them to hurt an Invulnerable character. The claws/fangs are just "normal" but only granted through a Mystically Bestowed Super Power.
Last edited by foilfodder on Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Palladium System F.A.Q.s - viewforum.php?f=44
Find out you've been doing it wrong for years!
foilfodder
Explorer

foilfodder wrote:Pretty sure there is an answer in the F.A.Q. somewhere but it would take digging...

Been digging, Actualy FAQs...not finding it...

However, I found some VERY OLD but interesting threads on the same line of thought....
- Negate Super Ability vs Mystically Bestowed ( viewtopic.php?f=7&t=60740 )

Axelmania wrote:In the last 2 it makes me wonder though: should this require targeting the original body? The body that is being possessed? Either? Both?

- Multiple Selves and P.P.E. (https://www.palladium-megaverse.com/for ... 37&t=79254)
Spoiler:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:Question: If you are running a Mystically Bestowed Character or Immortal with the Multiple Selves power and a selection of spells at your disposal, do your duplicates have their own pool of P.P.E. to use as well? You could be a one-being coven with that set-up.
Answer: As far as I know, the rules don't address this.
My initial reaction is:
-Clever!
-Unblanaced!
But I'm not really sure that it is unbalanced.
The Multiple Selves power replicates any power other than Multiple Selves, and most super powers have no real energy limit, unlike magic.
For example, if you have Multiple Selves and Energy Expulsion: Electricity, then you and your clones can all fire energy blasts at the same target.
So logically the intention would be that if you can cast Fire Bolt, then you and all of your clones could cast Fire Bolt.
If you're all drawing from the same pool of PPE, then that would rapidly drain you of your reserves, which doesn't seem fair considering that Lightning Boy and his clones could all zap away all day for free.
On the other hand, what you're suggesting would allow you and your clones to pool PPE together for one big spell, allowing you to easily cast a spell that's intended to be pretty tough to pay for.
There are two solutions to this that I can see:
1. Rule that a person cannot share PPE with themself. Since the clones are still them, then the clones and the main character cannot share PPE with one another. Although they can still each access their own full pool of PPE.
2. Eh. Screw it. Just let them pool their PPE together and make powerful mojo together. A lot of powers combine to have powerful effects, this is just one more.
Last edited by foilfodder on Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axelmania
Knight

Not sure how that FAQ applies to my question. That answer is about pooling PPE by multiple selves who can cast spells.

I'm talking about using Negate Magic / Anti-Magic Cloud against non-spellcaster Multiple Selves created by a Mystically Bestowed or Enchanted Object.

Basically: should those only work to target the original person, or should it also be able to target EFFECTS by powers.

Like for example: say Mystic Bestowed has Create Forcefield preventing you from getting close enough to target him : can you just target the force field? I figure targeting a Multiple Self would work similar.
foilfodder
Explorer

Axelmania wrote:Not sure how that FAQ applies to my question. That answer is about pooling PPE by multiple selves who can cast spells.

I'm talking about using Negate Magic / Anti-Magic Cloud against non-spellcaster Multiple Selves created by a Mystically Bestowed or Enchanted Object.

Basically: should those only work to target the original person, or should it also be able to target EFFECTS by powers.

Like for example: say Mystic Bestowed has Create Forcefield preventing you from getting close enough to target him : can you just target the force field? I figure targeting a Multiple Self would work similar.

It does not apply to your specific case. It does show train-of-thought from an official (Tinker Dragoon is rated "Sumpreme Being") stating that a G.M. could house-rule an specific power-interaction two different ways.

Axelmania wrote:In the last 2 it makes me wonder though: should this require targeting the original body? The body that is being possessed? Either? Both?

So you could rule NM and AMC regarding the Mystically Bestowed one of two ways:

A) Mystically Bestowed superpowers as being just that Superpowers...unaffected by Anti-Magic or Negate Magic. Exception specific: IF you target the Mystically Bestowed themselves (the source) with Negate Magic thus disrupting their powers for 1d6 melees (Heroes Unlimited 1st Ed. p. 95)

B) Mystically Bestowed Powers are Powers but also "magical". Thus Negate Magic and Anti-Magic Cloud would work against any and all superpowers as used by the Bestowed.

As I stated in my original reply to your post I lean toward ruling/group A. From your post, stating that you were pondering the case of using Negate Magic to break a Mystically Bestowed's Transferal/Possession Power by casting on the victim, I would put you under ruling/group B.

A G.M. provides players with a consistant uniform ruling. Using either one of these rulings would change many facets of gameplay. Beings that are immune to non-magical attacks would be hurt by Mystically Bestowed Super Powers if ruling B was used, but not if ruling A was used.

For instance, if I wanted by Mystically Bestowed to use Energy Expulsion: Fire on a target with Invulnerability, it would not hurt him under ruling A, but would do damage under ruling B. Likewise for a character standing in an Anti-Magic Cloud under case B the power would be negated and the target would not suffer damage, but under Ruling A the Fire would be unhindered by AMC.

So for your questions regarding a Mystically Bestow with powers of Transferal, Possession, Multiple Selves and Energy Doppleganger; use the same ruling for all four regarding AMC and NM.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I would say that if the super's original body dies, this means the super has exceeded the range requirements. As such, this would end the possession. Making the rest of the OP moot.

... "What are the ways that a being with T/P Major Super power can be expelled from their target being?"

If the super power is magic based then a AMC will drive the possessor out. It would target the possessed person.

Killing the super's true body. (see above)
Exorcism: Any of these (psi, magic, priestly) will push the possessor out of the possessed.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Axelmania
Knight

foilfodder wrote:So for your questions regarding a Mystically Bestow with powers of Transferal, Possession, Multiple Selves and Energy Doppleganger; use the same ruling for all four regarding AMC and NM.

One issue I forgot to bring up is how Negate Super Abilities would interact with these.

I recall in one of the FAQs it mentions that you can't use Negate Super Abilities vs a Multiple Self to make them vanish (though it should presumably cancel their other powers) but it would prevent them from re-merging with the host.

Using NSA on the host would prevent re-merging from any duplicates, or allowing interned duplicates to be created, but apparently does not otherwise dispel or impede those who are already out there.

So... probably Negate Magic and Anti-Magic Cloud would operate the same way?

If we extrapolate how NSA affects Multiple Selves to how NSA affects Transferal/Possession... perhaps it stops you from possessing someone if you're still in your host body, but if the ability has already projeted you, you aren't sent back?

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I would say that if the super's original body dies, this means the super has exceeded the range requirements. As such, this would end the possession. Making the rest of the OP moot.

I think a lot of people read the range as being needed to initiate the power, not maintain it. If you had to keep your original body within ~30ft to stay possessing someone it wouldn't be as versatile an ability so hopefully we get clarification on how that works. Perhaps in an FAQ somewhere?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”