Best Spells for Wizard Supreme? PU2

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Best Spells for Wizard Supreme? PU2

Unread post by lbeaumanior »

Greetings,

Long time lurker, first time poster. We are playing a new game, and I just got to play an Immortal (Fallen Godling) and I got the Wizard Supreme power set (20 spells of levels 1-10, and 1d6+6 spells of 11 to 15).

I already selected the spells for levels 11 to 15:

Level Eleven: Anti-Magic Cloud (140), Create Magic Scroll (100+), Remove Curse (140)
Level Twelve: Amulet (290+), Summon & Control Entity (250)
Level Thirteen: Protection Circle: Superior (250), Sanctum (390), Talisman (500)
Level Fourteen: Restoration (750)
Level Fifteen: Resurrection (2,000)

But I need help deciding the other 20 spells, specially considering my stats are nothing exceptional:
I.Q.: 19, M.E.: 18, M.A.: 21, P.S.: 16, P.P.: 14, P.E.: 11, P.B.: 15, Spd: 15

Is there a list of the best spells around? Or failing that can someone help me optimise my spell list?

Thanks,
Last edited by lbeaumanior on Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Re: Best Spells for Wizard Supreme? PU2

Unread post by Regularguy »

Superior Invisibility plus Mystic Portal plus Fly As The Eagle would let you line up some impossible slipping-past-security effects, to get in and get out and leave behind a bug or a bomb or whatever; I’d also wonder how good an invisible ambusher could be if combining Impervious To Fire (or Energy) with, say. an area-effect incendiary weapon.

And, on the softer side, Charismatic Aura costs so little to switch on and can potentially whammy so many people — only one of whom maybe has to fail the ensuing save for it to be useful — as to solve a lot of problems in short order.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Regularguy wrote:Superior Invisibility plus Mystic Portal plus Fly As The Eagle would let you line up some impossible slipping-past-security effects, to get in and get out and leave behind a bug or a bomb or whatever; I’d also wonder how good an invisible ambusher could be if combining Impervious To Fire (or Energy) with, say. an area-effect incendiary weapon.

And, on the softer side, Charismatic Aura costs so little to switch on and can potentially whammy so many people — only one of whom maybe has to fail the ensuing save for it to be useful — as to solve a lot of problems in short order.

Thanks for the suggestions, so what would be your best 20 spells (from levels 1-10) to have as a starting character?

(Assume you dont have the Other Magic Abilities of the Wizard so no Astral Projection, Sense Magic, etc for free, if you want them, it must be picked from the spell list)
Shadowknight
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadowknight »

It would depend on your PPE. But myself as a GM I would let my players choose spells and traditions from Rifts. No one says you have to have the same spells every else has. Specifically the Temporal Mage from the England Source-book would fit great in HU just change everything else to SDC. It's has some powerful spells without being over powered. Another possibility is a Necromancer from Rifts Africa & Russia. The SS by his very nature isn't a joe blow mage, it only makes sense he could be from a different tradition and have access to different spells than a traditional mage.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

I would say 225 P.P. Starting character.

Attributes: I.Q.: 19, M.E.: 18, M.A.: 21, P.S.: 16, P.P.: 14, P.E.: 11, P.B.: 15, Spd: 15
Height: Six feet (1.80 m). Weight: 175 Lbs (78.7 kg).
Experience Level: 1
Hit Points: 37
S.D.C.: 60
P.P.E.: 249

And it must be the spells in HU 2 edition, and the GMs Guide.
Last edited by lbeaumanior on Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Regularguy
Adventurer

lbeaumanior wrote:
Regularguy wrote:Superior Invisibility plus Mystic Portal plus Fly As The Eagle would let you line up some impossible slipping-past-security effects, to get in and get out and leave behind a bug or a bomb or whatever; I’d also wonder how good an invisible ambusher could be if combining Impervious To Fire (or Energy) with, say. an area-effect incendiary weapon.

Thanks for the suggestions, so what would be your best 20 spells (from levels 1-10) to have as a starting character?

Figure I’d go with:

Carpet of Adhesion
Charismatic Aura
Dimensional Pocket
Energy Disruption
Escape
Eyes of Thoth
Fingers of the Wind
Fly As The Eagle
Heal Wounds
Impervious To Energy
Invisibility (Simple)
Invisibility (Superior)
Locate
Love Charm
Metamorphosis (Superior)
Mystic Alarm
Mystic Portal
See The Invisible
Tongues
Words of Truth
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Regularguy wrote:
lbeaumanior wrote:

Figure I’d go with:

Carpet of Adhesion
Charismatic Aura
Dimensional Pocket
Energy Disruption
Escape
Eyes of Thoth
Fingers of the Wind
Fly As The Eagle
Heal Wounds
Impervious To Energy
Invisibility (Simple)
Invisibility (Superior)
Locate
Love Charm
Metamorphosis (Superior)
Mystic Alarm
Mystic Portal
See The Invisible
Tongues
Words of Truth

Good list, it has some choices I had not considered (Energy Disruption, Fingers of the Wind), thanks for your help and ideas.
Regularguy
Adventurer

lbeaumanior wrote:Good list, it has some choices I had not considered (Energy Disruption, Fingers of the Wind)

Well, my reasoning started with invisibility. So if you’re being invisible over here and want to make it sound like something is happening over there, with no saving throw, then Fingers of the Wind; or, if you have cloaks-you-from-all-electronics invisibility that’ll soon conk out, you invisibly approach a currently-useless device and incapacitate it with Energy Disruption shortly before you can register on it.

Various other uses (depending on just how telekinetic you can get with Fingers, and how weak robots are against Disruption), but superstealth was the starting point.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I would add the Spirit Attack spell from Through The Glass Darkly supplement for Nightbane. It lets you kill/attack entities and if you are going to be summoning them it's good incase a nasty one gets free...
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Regularguy wrote:
lbeaumanior wrote:Good list, it has some choices I had not considered (Energy Disruption, Fingers of the Wind)

Well, my reasoning started with invisibility. So if you’re being invisible over here and want to make it sound like something is happening over there, with no saving throw, then Fingers of the Wind; or, if you have cloaks-you-from-all-electronics invisibility that’ll soon conk out, you invisibly approach a currently-useless device and incapacitate it with Energy Disruption shortly before you can register on it.

Various other uses (depending on just how telekinetic you can get with Fingers, and how weak robots are against Disruption), but superstealth was the starting point.

Yeah, I get your point, some questions:

1. Why not Telekinesis instead of Fingers of the Wind? More expensive but more versatile.
    2. No Sense Magic or See Aura?
    3. No Armor of Ithan or Invulnerability: Limited for defense?
Last edited by lbeaumanior on Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regularguy
Adventurer

lbeaumanior wrote:
Regularguy wrote:

Yeah, I get your point, some questions:

1. @hy not Telekinesis instead of Fingers of the Wind? More expensive but more versatile.
    2. No Sense Magic or See Aura?

I don’t have that book.

3. No Armor of Ithan or Invulnerability: Limited for defense?

I can buy armor. I can’t buy mind control, or teleportation; and I can’t buy the invisibility I was just going on about, or the power to look like someone I’m framing for a crime, or whatever.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Regularguy wrote:I don’t have that book.

Sense Magic functions exactly like the Wizard's innate ability of the same name. Same cost.

Astral Projection functions exactly like the Wizard's innate ability of the same name. 10 P.P.E.

Familiar Link functions exactly like the Wizard's innate ability of the same name. 55 P.P.E.

Knowing this, would you change your selection?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Sense Magic is on page 180 of the Heroes Unlimited GM's Guide.
Astral Projection is on pages 182-183 of the Heroes Unlimited GM's Guide.
Familiar Link is on pages 190-191 of the Heroes Unlimited GM's Guide.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

for 10 and up must haves for my chars...

10) Mystic Portal:
10) D-pocket:

11) Create Magic Scroll

13) talisman

15) D-Portal
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

I noticed a suggestion of Carpet of adhesion without a continuous duration damaging spell, such as Life Drain, Wall of wind (2d6MD per round, and you cannot be thrown while glued down, but can likely be flattened by the wind like a weed in a tornado, squishing the victim into a prone, stuck position.), or Havok.

Combo follow-up spells are important, and sticking a group of enemies down and then setting them on fire (or whatever), will save your group more often than not. Don't depend on sticking them down and tossing grenades, bombs are expensive.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

ITWastrel wrote:tossing grenades, bombs are expensive.
PPE is also expensive. Sometimes actual weapons can stand in so you're not wasting all your magic.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
ITWastrel
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by ITWastrel »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:E is also expensive. Sometimes actual weapons can stand in so you're not wasting all your magic.

I'll never call shredding a whole platoon with two spells a "waste" of my magic.

Besides, it's up to the Big Stupid Fighter to be the gun bunny, any self-respecting mage will want to use magic over tech. Unless it's Rifts, and then any vagabond with a plasma rifle and armor is a better front line combatant, and with a second e-clip that vagabond has more staying power AND firepower than you do. Rifts mages need guns, and armor, and tanks, and then they can use their magic to turn invisible and stuff, for about 2 minutes, before running out of PPE.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

lbeaumanior wrote:Is there a list of the best spells around? Or failing that can someone help me optimise my spell list?

Thanks,

Rat Bastard made a list of the most useful spells for a mage a while back. Even though it was written with Rifts in mind most of it should be applicable to the mages in other settings as well: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=142445
Curbludgeon
Hero
Comment: They/Them

Unread post by Curbludgeon »

Hi, first time poster!

I think the above lists are pretty good, and don't really have much in the way of suggestion save potentially a defensive/armor spell. Going outside the initial purview, I began wondering about what spells would be worth dipping from other settings and disciplines for a Wizard Supreme to the max. For what it's worth, here's a list of what spells are on the GM's Guide list that don't appear in Rifts. Most of them are from PFRPG, where it's both noted on the list and the beginnings of a PFRPG-only list follow.
Spoiler:
*=not in PFRPG
1 Decipher Magic, Increase Weight*, Ventriloquism
2 Sticky Feet (AUGG), Weightlessness
3 Impervious to Cold*, Negate Poison/Toxin, Personal Gravity Field (AUGG), Protection From Radiation (AUGG), See Wards, Sense Trap
5 Size of the Behemoth
6 Animate Object, Control the Beasts, Create Bread&Milk, Detect Poison, Fire Fist, Mystic Shield*
7 Atmosphere Bubble (AUGG), Circle of Concealment, Immobilize, Wink-Out, X-Ray Vision
8 Firestorm*, Love Charm, Sense Dimensional Anomaly, Time Capsule
9 Age, Havoc, Monster Insect, Protection from Space (AUGG)
10 Dimensional Pocket, Phantom Horse, Teleport*
11 Finger of Lictalon
15 Summon Greater Familiar

not in Rifts or HU
3 Faerie Speak
6 Fleet Feet
7 Witch Bottle
9 Faerie's dance
Fleet Feet, if allowed, is pretty ridiculous.
I haven't put together a list of invocations specific to Nightbane, BTS, or Rifts, but have at least made a list of all the types of spell magic in Palladium (I hope), with a couple of cherry-pickable selections. I'll plug in any suggestions.
Spoiler:
African Ceremonial Magic: unleveled, so should be N/A
African Witch:
Biomancy: Reconstruction beats the heck out of Restoration
Blue Flame:
Chi: Convert Chi to PPE(1) + Draw Wall of Chi (9) can be a good way to generate PPE, while Replenish/Empower/Create Vajra can easily replace Amulet/Talisman/Create Magic Scroll
Chaos: unleveled, so should maybe be N/A
Cloud: unleveled, so should be N/A
Conjuring: not spells, so N/A
Crystal:
Combat:
Demon: Heart of Darkness is a great way for an evil character to gain PPE and spell knowledge
Diabolism: not spells, so N/A
Dolphin:
Elemental: generally not considered available to invocation casters
Fleshsculpter:
Frost:
Hunting: Clean Strike
Korallyte Shaping: none
Life Force:
Living Fire:
Mirror:
Nature:
Nazca Line: unleveled, so should be N/A
Necromancy:
Ocean: Strength of the Whale, Grow Tentacles
Pyromancy:
Rainmaker: unleveled, so should be N/A
Shamanic:
Shadow: Shadow Self is great for an evil character to cast before killing a Shadow Lord
Soulmancy: Permanency is THE way to make things bananas. It's far better than a diabolist's permanency ward, save that it consumes souls.
Space: Cosmic Armor is expensive, but might be the armor spell with the highest mdc, which also allows Mach .5 flight in an atmosphere. Sub-Light Space Flight makes characters with super speed obsolete.
Spoiling:
Star:
Summoning: not spells, so N/A
Temporal: Several, but Double Paradox is fun
Whalesong: unleveled, so should be N/A
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

The Beast wrote:Rat Bastard made a list of the most useful spells for a mage a while back. Even though it was written with Rifts in mind most of it should be applicable to the mages in other settings as well: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=142445

Wow, that was a blast from the past, and still useful, thanks for reminding me about that Beast.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

ITWastrel wrote:I noticed a suggestion of Carpet of adhesion without a continuous duration damaging spell, such as Life Drain, Wall of wind (2d6MD per round, and you cannot be thrown while glued down, but can likely be flattened by the wind like a weed in a tornado, squishing the victim into a prone, stuck position.), or Havok.

Combo follow-up spells are important, and sticking a group of enemies down and then setting them on fire (or whatever), will save your group more often than not. Don't depend on sticking them down and tossing grenades, bombs are expensive.

Thanks for the answers, but as a Wizard Supreme you get 20 spells levels 1-10 and 6 +1D6 from levels 11 to 15; I already posted my 11-15 choices; any optimal list that uses HU spell lists for the first 10 levels? Specially the combo spells?

And since this is a Wizard Supreme, all the spell wanted should be picked (Sense Magic, Sense Evil) because this is not a Mystic Studies character, no special rules about known spells.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

I want to be able to contribute in a mixed HU/Nightbane game, either as a combatant or as an intelligence gathering asset. If a combatant, the idea is to have force multipliers and battlefield control capabilities.

I was thinking of going Wizard and purely investigative/support spells (Amulet, Carpet of Adhesion, Words of Truth, Remove Curse, Love Charm, Charismatic Aura, Anti-Magic Cloud, etc) given that a Wizard Supreme starts with a lot of P.P.E. and many high level spells, it opens many possibilities as a force multiplier (Amulet creation, weaponry enhancement with Charm Weapon/Temporary Ritual/Enchant Weapon, a portable Protection Circle: Superior, improved mobility with Fly as the Eagle/Superhuman Speed, infiltration with Invisibility: Superior, combat improvement with Superhuman Strength/Speed, et cetera).

Optimisation recommendations would be appreciated, so far:

Level One: See Aura (6), See the Invisible (4), Sense Evil (2), Sense Magic (4)
Level Two: Mystic Alarm (5)
Level Three: Invisibility: Simple (6), Telekinesis (8)
Level Four: Carpet of Adhesion (10), Charismatic Aura (10)
Level Five: Eyes of Thoth (8)
Level Six: Tongues (12), Words of Truth (15)
Level Seven: Fly as the Eagle (25), Invisibility: Superior (20), Life Drain (25)
Level Eight: Exorcism (30), Love Charm (40)
Level Nine: Havoc (50)
Level Ten: Metamorphosis: Superior (100), Mystic Portal (60)
Level Eleven: Anti-Magic Cloud (140), Create Magic Scroll (100+), Remove Curse (140)
Level Twelve: Amulet (290+), Summon & Control Entity (250)
Level Thirteen: Protection Circle: Superior (250), Sanctum (390), Talisman (500)
Level Fourteen: Restoration (750)
Level Fifteen: Resurrection (2,000)
Last edited by lbeaumanior on Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ice Dragon
Hero

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

My recommentation:
Level One: See Aura (6), Sense Evil (2)
Level Two: Mystic Alarm (5), Concealment (6)
Level Three: Invisibility: Simple (6), Armor of Ithan (10)
Level Four: Carpet of Adhesion (10), Charismatic Aura (10)
Level Five: Eyes of Thoth (8), Suüer Human Speed (10)
Level Six: Power Bolt (20), Words of Truth (15)
Level Seven: Fly as the Eagle (25), Invulnerability (25)
Level Eight: Negate Magic (30), Excorcism (30)
Level Nine: D-Step (50), Speed of the Snail (50)
Level Ten: D-Pockets (60), Mystic Portal (60)
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”