Imbued Heroes (Powers Unlimited 2)

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

syntheticlife4m
D-Bee

Imbued Heroes (Powers Unlimited 2)

Unread post by syntheticlife4m »

So question on Imbued Heroes, from the "Powers Unlimited 2" book. I have a player who chose the power category and they have them with a bunch of Science and Medical skills, so they want to have them have the ability to conduct additional research into creating future imbuement agents for new powers. Anyone have some ideas on how to go about guidelines for researching?

I was thinking of something maybe like:

Primary Skill (e.g. Chemistry), plus I.Q., and Experience Level (max. of 98%). The number rolled is represents the number of hours required to research and test, with a minimum of 4 hours/day, but cannot take a break longer than 3 days (must still be monitored), otherwise research must start from scratch again.

Research time determined by adding Intelligence and Level, plus the rolled research number. (e.g. I.Q. of 20, plus 5th Level, equals 25 hours, plus 11 hours from a rolled check of 11 on 1d100)

Research Modifiers
• -10% for a general Major Super Ability (additional -10% per sub-ability granted by power)
• -10% for specific bloodline
• -15% for one specific individual
• -5% once per 24 hours use
• -10% twice 24 hours use
• -15% as needed/desired
• -5% for duration of 2d6x10 +30 min.
• -10% for duration of 1d6 +1 hour
• -15% for duration of 1d4 +4 hours
• -20% for duration of 1d6 +4 hours
• -25% for duration of 2d4 +5 hours
• -20% for only him making the imbuing agent
• -10% for only those instructed by him being able to make the imbuing agent

I mean the general idea makes sense, considering the number of mad scientists out there in the game, just trying to figure out how to keep them from having too many powers at once. Any possible weaknesses from having too many agents in the body at once or unexpected side effects of chemicals and radiation with one another.

Chance of Success: Primary Skill Required (e.g. Chemistry), plus I.Q., M.E., and Experience Level (max. of 98%). The number rolled is represents the number of hours required to research and test, with a minimum of 4 hours/day – breaks are allowed, but not more than 3 days, otherwise research must start from scratch.

Base research time is determined by adding Intelligence and Level, plus the rolled research number. (e.g. I.Q. of 20, plus 5th Level, equals 25 hours, plus 11 hours from a rolled check of 11 on 1d100)

For failed rolls, he'd need to roll for failure results:
• 01-05 Chemical Explosion: 3d6x10 damage to all within 60'
• 06-50 No effect
• 51-60 Toxic Gas: 3d6 damage to Hit Points to all within 20', 1d6 damage per round after while in cloud, lasts 2d6 minutes
• 61-75 Failure, but gained insight, +10% to next attempt (research attempted next level)
• 76-95 Massive Failure, research set back, -25% to next attempt (research again in 3 levels)
• 96-98 Obsessed Success, save vs. Insanity, failure means believes was close to completion, tries again with -5% penalty, cost of materials doubled
• 99-00 Minute Success, desired effect, but at 1/10 intensity

Thoughts? Tweaks?
fb.com/thepalladiummegaverse
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Imbued Heroes (Powers Unlimited 2)

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The chance of failure is always greater than that of success. I always make an imbuing agent specific to certain blood chemistry, so not everyone can use the same imbuing agent. Having each new power have the risk of canceling out old powers helps too, otherwise you have players trying to give their characters dozens of new powers.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”