Making Leveling More Interesting?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tywyll
Wanderer

Making Leveling More Interesting?

Unread post by Tywyll »

So unless you are a spell caster or psionic, you don't really change a whole lot when you level up. Is there anyway to improve that or make it more interesting? I know that the Mutant has the evolving mutation, which is about the only way I can see to make leveling exciting for supers.
RockJock
Knight

Re: Making Leveling More Interesting?

Unread post by RockJock »

As far as I know HU has no real rules for adding, or changing powers and abilities as you level up, but if it fits your game and power level it is fairly easy to work out.

You can always have upgrades of equipment, gadgets etc pop up if it fits your game. This can be anything from a Genius building a new gadget for herself or her team to a Spy getting some upgraded tech from a parent organization. I've had a Super Sleuth start out as an average Joe then get one of the optional add ons as a game goes on(a few cybernetics, discovering a minor psychic power or two, and so on) as a later addition. I've also played in games where we allowed players to gain more control or focus with powers to allow specific tricks that may or may not be in the original power description, or even to specialize on one aspect of a power while limiting another. I've even had pcs learn new skills while off board (as in when the story jumps ahead). Most of the time adding an addition power, or aspect of a power to an Experiment or Mutant over time can be made to fit well.

Take comic book characters as example for your game. I don't mean copy them, or convert them, but use them as inspiration. Most comics with a long history have a good deal of changes in their powers and abilities over the years. Look at those stories for insite and examples for your own games. Spiderman starts as a teen given powers via an accident, yet depending on the version becomes a billionaire with a Stark suit, so why couldn't your psychic find a magic sword(enchanted weapon class type thing, or more like a PF magic weapon power level). It seems like half of Marvel's mutants have had powers altered or added by Weapon X. Why couldn't your Experiment find a mentor with similar powers to help unlock related abilities? I'm not meaning these examples as a conversion, just something to think about when you are playing your own game with your own characters.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

I've done what I can to make it more interesting, lol. I do have another article in me that can make energy expulsion characters more fun to level up.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I allowed my players to create a "stunt" at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 in place of one of their secondary skills. I set the guideline loosely as "something about on-par with a minor power sub-ability." We worked together to make sure it was appropriate to the character as an ability, since it represented character growth. I also allowed the characters to bank one and use two together to pick up a new minor power that was thematically appropriate to their character and story.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I like your system there Glistam.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Stunting is nice if it doesn't overshadow anything. I think the main key is that it is versatile more than powerful
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Glistam wrote:I allowed my players to create a "stunt" at levels 3, 6, 9, 12, and 15 in place of one of their secondary skills. I set the guideline loosely as "something about on-par with a minor power sub-ability." We worked together to make sure it was appropriate to the character as an ability, since it represented character growth. I also allowed the characters to bank one and use two together to pick up a new minor power that was thematically appropriate to their character and story.
I will sometimes do the stunt thing as well if the player wants it. Some do not. Sometimes it is tricky getting them to use the powers they already have.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”