Hardware Unlimited ver 0.0.5

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Hardware Unlimited ver 0.0.5

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Kind of expensive. I'll wait until someone comes up with a cheaper bootleg model. :bandit:

I was going off of the prices for the AA-1 and AA-2 Cyber Disguise units in Rifts: Bionics Sourcebook
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Kind of expensive. I'll wait until someone comes up with a cheaper bootleg model. :bandit:

I was going off of the prices for the AA-1 and AA-2 Cyber Disguise units in Rifts: Bionics Sourcebook
Most of the people who need this kind of tech won't be able to afford it, though. You will have one guy that owns one, charging people to change their fingerprints for them.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

1st. Define "most of the people who need this kind of tech"? I designed this with Hi-Tech thieves, espionage agents, assassins in mind.
2nd. Compared to the prices of the AA-1 and AB-2, this pricing is right in line. You are more then welcome to change the prices in your game to suit your game worlds economy.

As nothing similar exists in HU, I based the price/credit value on Rifts items...

A "sensor hand" [RUE, pg 51] 33,000 and that is just a sensor hand
Cyber-Disguise Type AA-1: 450,000 credits
skin tone, change size/shape of face, eye color, hair length, style,color, larynx manipulator

Cyber-Disguise Type AB-2: 85,000 credits
lesser version of the above - does just face [no eyes or larynx]
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:1st. Define "most of the people who need this kind of tech"? I designed this with Hi-Tech thieves, espionage agents, assassins in mind.
2nd. Compared to the prices of the AA-1 and AB-2, this pricing is right in line. You are more then welcome to change the prices in your game to suit your game worlds economy.

As nothing similar exists in HU, I based the price/credit value on Rifts items...

A "sensor hand" [RUE, pg 51] 33,000 and that is just a sensor hand
Cyber-Disguise Type AA-1: 450,000 credits
skin tone, change size/shape of face, eye color, hair length, style,color, larynx manipulator

Cyber-Disguise Type AB-2: 85,000 credits
lesser version of the above - does just face [no eyes or larynx]
The basic model is in a comparable range. The advanced version with ranged sensors is the really expensive bit. But I just cannot see someone being paid an average of 10,000 credits per kill wanting to spend that kind of money on a fingerprint machine. Maybe someone severely bent on revenge and wanting to frame someone, but most people in that frame of mind still are not going to have that kind of money unless they are heavy into organized crime already. Espionage agents could have need of it, I suppose, but a nation is going to go further into debt paying for that kind of equipment for its agents.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Then provide prices you think would be appropriate.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Cost: The basic model costs 60,000 credits/dollars. Imbedded sensors version cost is 80,000 credits/dollars while the advanced version with ranged sensors costs 100,000 credits/dollars. Only available by freelance Cyber-Docs and the Black Market. Specific print profiles can be purchased at a cost. This cost varies depending on the target to which the prints belong to. Some prints might be nigh impossible to acquire.
I can't see paying beyond 100,000 for something that only does fingerprints, even with ranged sensors. At most I would pay 120,000, and I can see the market price fluctuating up or down by 20% anyways on the Black Market.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Be a bummer if you invested in all those cyberdisguises just to discover that the security system you're trying to penetrate is even MORE biometrically demanding and invasive(one high security system in the manga version of 'Appleseed' apparently goes so far as to show one of the government agents trying to gain access being in their underwear locked in a medical chair and whining about the system 'sticking an endoscope in my---' :shock: . before getting cutoff...leaving the reader to guess how thorough the system is. At that point, nothing short of an Auto-G's going to get past that sort of security).
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I was reading the rifts bionics book along with the bionics section in HU2, which sparked a couple ideas

“Cyber-Doc” Advanced Bio-Monitor:
The Cyber-Doc is an advanced version of the ‘Medical Survey Unit’ (MSU) that is used by PA/Robot pilots to monitor the health of the cyborg and administer medications/drugs in case of injury or other health risks. This unit does everything the MSU does (though it doesn’t have the O2 system), plus a defibrillator unit.
Cost: $650,000 (the high cost is due to the experimental nature of the device)
Game Notes: The unit has a medical skill equal 65%, and the defibrillator gives +12% save vs. Coma/Death

“Rhino-Skin” Skin Weave/Dermal Reinforcement:
Still very experimental, this process uses nano-bots to weave a combination of Kevlar and Titanium threads under the surface of the skin, which makes the skin semi bulletproof; most recipients get most of their body reinforced aside from their hands since the weave reduces tactile sensitivity.
Cost: $250,000 for the torso, $85,000 per limb, and $100,000 for the head.
Special Bonus: A.R. 12
Game Notes: No penalty unless the weave is used on the hands, then reduce skills that require manual dexterity or touch by -6%
Last edited by Snake Eyes on Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Dragon Has Spoken
taalismn
Priest

Snake Eyes wrote:I“Rhino-Skin” Skin Weave/Dermal Reinforcement:
Still very experimental, this process uses nano-bots to weave a combination of Kevlar and Titanium threads under the surface of the skin, which makes the skin semi bulletproof; most recipients get most of their body reinforced aside from their hands since the weave reduces tactile sensitivity.
Cost: $250,000 for the torso, $85,000 per limb, and $100,000 for the head.
Game Notes: No penalty unless the weave is used on the hands, then reduce skills that require manual dexterity or touch by -6%, A.R. 12

Just a style nit: I'd put the actual A.R. bonus for the Rhino-Skin as a 'Bonus: ' heading after the cost, and before the note, rather than tag it on the end, just for clarity.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Snake Eyes
Hero

Fixed
The Dragon Has Spoken
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have not come up with pricing for this yet. Though I do have in mind that it will be no less then 150% of what it costs to get a +1 to Physical Prowess. +1 P.P. costs 10k per point. The R.E.P. I am thinking would be about $15k per level. Cost for all 6 levels: $75k

With the bonuses, this package is about on equal level with the minor power "Lightning Reflexes". Mind you, that Lightning Reflexes costs a Eugenics PC $1.5 million!

Reflex Enhancement Package

This unique cybernetic package is a replacement of the users nervous system. By replacing the nervous system, nerve bundles and the implant of a control chip at the base of the brain, the users reflexes are enhanced 10 fold.

The R.E.P. has six levels of enhancement. Each level allows the user to enhance one of several areas.

For each level of enhancement purchased [max 6], the user gains +1 to add to any of the following: # of attacks, initiative, strike, parry, dodge. No more then 2 levels can be applied to the same area [ie: no more then a +2 can be added to initiative, no more then 2 attacks per melee can be gained, etc..]. If 2 points are added to dodge, the user can elect to keep the +2 to as a dodge bonus or convert the +2 to a +1 auto-dodge.

In addition, every level of enhancement gains the user a +1D6 to Speed.
Snake Eyes
Hero

Nice work....

Here's a thought on the price, if the Eugenics version of lightning reflexes 1.5 million, and the R.E.P. is based on that, then the cyber version should cost near or half that price
The Dragon Has Spoken
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I have not come up with pricing for this yet. Though I do have in mind that it will be no less then 150% of what it costs to get a +1 to Physical Prowess. +1 P.P. costs 10k per point. The R.E.P. I am thinking would be about $15k per level. Cost for all 6 levels: $75k

With the bonuses, this package is about on equal level with the minor power "Lightning Reflexes". Mind you, that Lightning Reflexes costs a Eugenics PC $1.5 million!

This unique cybernetic package is a replacement of the users nervous system. By replacing the nervous system, nerve bundles and the implant of a control chip at the base of the brain, the users reflexes are enhanced 10 fold.

The R.E.P. has six levels of enhancement. Each level allows the user to enhance one of several areas.

For each level of enhancement purchased [max 6], the user gains +1 to add to any of the following: # of attacks, initiative, strike, parry, dodge. No more then 2 levels can be applied to the same area [ie: no more then a +2 can be added to initiative, no more then 2 attacks per melee can be gained, etc..]. If 2 points are added to dodge, the user can elect to keep the +2 to as a dodge bonus or convert the +2 to a +1 auto-dodge.

Better and cheaper than the Eugenics equivalent... Cool.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I have not come up with pricing for this yet. Though I do have in mind that it will be no less then 150% of what it costs to get a +1 to Physical Prowess. +1 P.P. costs 10k per point. The R.E.P. I am thinking would be about $15k per level. Cost for all 6 levels: $75k

Better and cheaper than the Eugenics equivalent... Cool.

Though I am probably going to up the price to $75k per level.

Think about it, "Lightning Reflexes" for Eugenics costs $1.5 million.
P.P. costs $10k per +1 to P.P. and for an even spread, you need to buy it 6 times - once for each arm, once for hand and once for each leg. That's $60k per full +1.
I am thinking that $75k per level of R.E.P. is fair.
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Magic Negation v1.0.
A small disk that when activated provides a small amount of protection against magic. It disrupts the energies of magic and causes the spell to dissipate with no effect. Effectively a EMP field against magic. The portable device projects a 10' radios of protection. The power cell on the basic model lasts for 1 hour of continuous use, but heats up so it needs to be turned of after 10 minutes of use.
Cool down time of 30 minutes.

Research time 6 months- 1 year; construction 6 months; cost 500,000
Required either the knowledge of how magic works via the skill, or working with a caster. Psionic version available as well.
eoptap
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by eoptap »

Negate magi Gun

Range 300'
Disrupts the very flow of mystic/psionic energy of target for 1d6 meeles.
May dodge. Auto dodge, and auto parry dose not apply.

Research time 1 year/research cost 1,000,000
construct time 6 months
Cost to construct 100,000
Payload 6 shots
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

After revisiting my Aliens Unlimited: Zeta Reticuli Greys thread, I am coming up with different ideas for their tech devices. Given that they communicate with each other via psionics, their robots would not have voice commands but rather might operate with a kind of psionic interface. That has me thinking of perhaps doing a psionics emulator for robots and bionics characters to allow them a limited number of psionic abilities that they would have to purchase.

Psionic Emulator: The base unit/interface with a telepathy translator costs 1.8 million credits and ONLY allows the robot or bionics character to receive and send telepathic messages. An I.S.P. battery unit must be inserted to allow the device to run off of it as a battery to power other abilities. An I.S.P. battery unit with 120 I.S.P. points costs 12,000 credits, with the I.S.P. for the battery regenerating at a rate of 12 points per hour without need for meditation, with a given battery having an average life of one year before needing replacement. Cost of the individual psionic powers is equal to the I.S.P. cost X1,000 credits (so to purchase Clairvoyance, for instance, would cost 4,000 credits). Psionic powers available for purchase include any from the three lesser psionic power categories of healing, sensitive, and physical, with the exception of Transfer I.S.P. (I.S.P. of this type is artificial and only simulates actual I.S.P. and so cannot be transferred to someone else), Mind Block (bionics characters and robots are already impervious to psionic attack), and Meditation (does not need to meditate to regain I.S.P. points). No Super Psionic Powers may be purchased. The system will only support a total of 12 psionic powers, and the psionic powers do not go up in level like they would for an ordinary psionic character; all abilities that would otherwise increase with level are locked at level 1 ability.

Update: I am thinking about adding the option of buying Super Psionic powers, but I think no more than three could be purchased for the system and they would have a cost equal to the I.S.P. cost X10,000 credits. No feedback on this so far, so not sure what you think about this.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:After revisiting my Aliens Unlimited: Zeta Reticuli Greys thread, I am coming up with different ideas for their tech devices. Given that they communicate with each other via psionics, their robots would not have voice commands but rather might operate with a kind of psionic interface. That has me thinking of perhaps doing a psionics emulator for robots and bionics characters to allow them a limited number of psionic abilities that they would have to purchase.

Psionic Emulator: The base unit/interface with a telepathy translator costs 1.8 million credits and ONLY allows the robot or bionics character to receive and send telepathic messages. An I.S.P. battery unit must be inserted to allow the device to run off of it as a battery to power other abilities. An I.S.P. battery unit with 120 I.S.P. points costs 12,000 credits, with the I.S.P. for the battery regenerating at a rate of 12 points per hour without need for meditation, with a given battery having an average life of one year before needing replacement. Cost of the individual psionic powers is equal to the I.S.P. cost X1,000 credits (so to purchase Clairvoyance, for instance, would cost 4,000 credits). Psionic powers available for purchase include any from the three lesser psionic power categories of healing, sensitive, and physical, with the exception of Transfer I.S.P. (I.S.P. of this type is artificial and only simulates actual I.S.P. and so cannot be transferred to someone else), Mind Block (bionics characters and robots are already impervious to psionic attack), and Meditation (does not need to meditate to regain I.S.P. points). No Super Psionic Powers may be purchased. The system will only support a total of 12 psionic powers, and the psionic powers do not go up in level like they would for an ordinary psionic character; all abilities that would otherwise increase with level are locked at level 1 ability.

Update: I am thinking about adding the option of buying Super Psionic powers, but I think no more than three could be purchased for the system and they would have a cost equal to the I.S.P. cost X10,000 credits. No feedback on this so far, so not sure what you think about this.

Interesting concept and I believe it is similar in costs to what Wayne Breaux had suggested in the Atorian Empire Manuscript [oops, there is that damn book again.]
I would suggest for super psi's limiting to specific ones that can be bought. Energy and Tech related psi powers. Especially since these are being artificially created powers.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:After revisiting my Aliens Unlimited: Zeta Reticuli Greys thread, I am coming up with different ideas for their tech devices. Given that they communicate with each other via psionics, their robots would not have voice commands but rather might operate with a kind of psionic interface. That has me thinking of perhaps doing a psionics emulator for robots and bionics characters to allow them a limited number of psionic abilities that they would have to purchase.

Interesting concept and I believe it is similar in costs to what Wayne Breaux had suggested in the Atorian Empire Manuscript [oops, there is that damn book again.]
I would suggest for super psi's limiting to specific ones that can be bought. Energy and Tech related psi powers. Especially since these are being artificially created powers.
That is along the lines of what I was thinking. I want to make Electrokinesis available, but many of the others are not appropriate. It will take me a while to figure out which ones toy include and which ones to exclude. Your suggestions in this regard are more than welcome.

Available Super Psionics (tentative listing):
Bio-Manipulation
Bio-Regeneration (Super)
Catatonic Strike
Electrokinesis - Costs 400,000 credits to acquire
Hydrokinesis - Costs 600,000 credits to acquire
Insert Memory
Mental Illusion
Mentally Possess Others
Mind Bolt - Costs 10,000 credits per 1d6 damage capacity, to a maximum damage of 6d6. Mind Bolts of this type are artificially induced and unaffected by ley lines and nexus points.
Mind Wipe - Costs 100,000 credits to acquire and can only create memory loss for 1d4 days.
Psi-Shield
Psi-Sword
Pyrokinesis - Costs 800,000 credits to acquire
Telekinesis - Costs 200,000 credits to acquire
Telekinetic Force Field
Telemechanics

All Super Psionics are locked at level one, though selecting the same Super Psionic twice moves it to level two or even three times to move it to level three. Only three power slots are available for Super Psionics, and taking the same one more than once will count as using up multiple slots.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:...snip...
Bio-Manipulation
Bio-Regeneration (Super)
Catatonic Strike
Insert Memory
Mental Illusion
Mentally Possess Others
Mind Bolt - Costs 10,000 credits per 1d6 damage capacity, to a maximum damage of 6d6. Mind Bolts of this type are artificially induced and unaffected by ley lines and nexus points.
Mind Wipe - Costs 100,000 credits to acquire and can only create memory loss for 1d4 days.
Psi-Shield
Psi-Sword
Telekinetic Force Field
Telemechanics

All Super Psionics are locked at level one, though selecting the same Super Psionic twice moves it to level two or even three times to move it to level three. Only three power slots are available for Super Psionics, and taking the same one more than once will count as using up multiple slots.

How would a robot/android "Insert a Memory" or "Mentally Possess Others"?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Bio-Manipulation
Bio-Regeneration (Super)
Catatonic Strike
Insert Memory
Mental Illusion
Mentally Possess Others
Psi-Shield
Psi-Sword
Telekinetic Force Field
Telemechanics

In the same way that it communicates telepathically. Thoughts are encoded into the energy waves it produces which are then forced upon the recipient, the same way a normal psionic character does. I do not see this as being impossible for an android simply because it does not possess an organic brain. Mental possession could be like inserting a program of what the robot wished to do via the person if you think controlling a person like a puppet is a bit much for a machine to do. The issue of "soul" is another matter, but it is possible for an android with this to generate a psionic hologram to infest a subject, at least that is how I see it.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Bio-Manipulation
Bio-Regeneration (Super)
Catatonic Strike
Insert Memory
Mental Illusion
Mentally Possess Others
Psi-Shield
Psi-Sword
Telekinetic Force Field
Telemechanics

In the same way that it communicates telepathically. Thoughts are encoded into the energy waves it produces which are then forced upon the recipient, the same way a normal psionic character does. I do not see this as being impossible for an android simply because it does not possess an organic brain. Mental possession could be like inserting a program of what the robot wished to do via the person if you think controlling a person like a puppet is a bit much for a machine to do. The issue of "soul" is another matter, but it is possible for an android with this to generate a psionic hologram to infest a subject, at least that is how I see it.

By the way, I wasn't doubting it could be made "plausible", I just wanted to see how you are rationalizing it.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:In the same way that it communicates telepathically. Thoughts are encoded into the energy waves it produces which are then forced upon the recipient, the same way a normal psionic character does. I do not see this as being impossible for an android simply because it does not possess an organic brain. Mental possession could be like inserting a program of what the robot wished to do via the person if you think controlling a person like a puppet is a bit much for a machine to do. The issue of "soul" is another matter, but it is possible for an android with this to generate a psionic hologram to infest a subject, at least that is how I see it.

By the way, I wasn't doubting it could be made "plausible", I just wanted to see how you are rationalizing it.
Understood. I appreciate the feedback as well. Do you believe I have limited it enough to be a reasonable option, or would it be too overpowering as written? Part of the reason for limiting level advancement of the psionics is to not make a robot or bionics character too unbalanced to play.
I think I might allow the normal psionic powers to be bought by level the same as the Super Psionics are, so rather than buying twelve separate psionic powers, a robot or bionics character could buy 12 levels of one power, or three powers at level four each, with a maximum combination of power levels equaling twelve.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

I don't think that robots and bionics characters having psionics should necessarily be limited to having low level psionics. A.I.s can gain levels the same as regular folks, so why should the Psionic Emulator not gain in ability as it goes up in levels. I agree that you should limit the number of lesser psionic powers to twelve and the Super Psionics to three, but let them have them at regular ability to level them up.
Nimmy seems reluctant to address that issue, perhaps having seen some similar tech item which was included in the Atorian Empire book he seems so eager to mention he has a copy of.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphon Chick wrote:I don't think that robots and bionics characters having psionics should necessarily be limited to having low level psionics. A.I.s can gain levels the same as regular folks, so why should the Psionic Emulator not gain in ability as it goes up in levels. I agree that you should limit the number of lesser psionic powers to twelve and the Super Psionics to three, but let them have them at regular ability to level them up.
Nimmy seems reluctant to address that issue, perhaps having seen some similar tech item which was included in the Atorian Empire book he seems so eager to mention he has a copy of.
I don't know, not getting enough feedback to be able to weigh the pros and cons as far as whether they should be allowed to level up or not. Some things are locked for levels, like skills, in the lesser A.I. for the robot characters. The psionic energy itself has to be generated instead of just existing, which is one logical reason in favor of having the level locked, as the energy generated by the robot would be limited by what it is set to produce. They do not have the option of linking into ley lines, though I have been contemplating a device which might act as a Ley Line Locator and Energy Converter.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Truly AI robots should not be able to level up their "psionics" in this case.
I have no problem with Transferred Intelligence's and Bionics leveling up.
If it was a natural psionic that "transferred" into a bot, I would see that natural psi not being able to recoup their ISP until in a regular body.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Truly AI robots should not be able to level up their "psionics" in this case.
If it was a natural psionic that "transferred" into a bot, I would see that natural psi not being able to recoup their ISP until in a regular body.
What about the idea of buying levels to increase range and such? Or do you think the psionics should only be available at level 1 and locked there and leave it at that?
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:Truly AI robots should not be able to level up their "psionics" in this case.

Would natural psionic transferring to a bot need to buy psionics, though?
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Gryphon Chick wrote:

Would natural psionic transferring to a bot need to buy psionics, though?

No, but then their ISP would not be able to regenerate.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The Psionics for purchase would then be limited to bionics characters and robots with a proper A.I. and not transferred intelligence or piloted types. I think that for simplicity sake, the psionics would be able to be purchased at level one only, not per level, as it seems highly expensive to buy the powers repeatedly to go up in levels. I will have to do a finalized writeup on it to pull it all together, as right now it is kind of spread out between multiple posts.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Here is the final writeup of the Psionic Emulator:

Psionic Emulator: The base unit/interface with a telepathy translator costs 1.8 million credits and ONLY allows the robot or bionics character to receive and send telepathic messages. An I.S.P. battery unit must be inserted to allow the device to run off of it as a battery to power other abilities. An I.S.P. battery unit with 120 I.S.P. points costs 12,000 credits, with the I.S.P. for the battery regenerating at a rate of 12 points per hour without need for meditation, with a given battery having an average life of one year before needing replacement. Cost of the individual lesser psionic powers is equal to the I.S.P. cost X1,000 credits (so to purchase Clairvoyance, for instance, would cost 4,000 credits). Lesser psionic powers available for purchase include any from the three lesser psionic power categories of healing, sensitive, and physical, with the exception of Transfer I.S.P. (I.S.P. of this type is artificial and only simulates actual I.S.P. and so cannot be transferred to someone else), Mind Block (bionics characters and robots are already impervious to psionic attack), and Meditation (does not need to meditate to regain I.S.P. points). Most, but not all (see below) Super Psionic Powers may be purchased, but at higher cost (cost equal to the I.S.P. cost X10,000 credits except as noted). The system will only support a total of 12 lesser psionic powers and three Super Psionic powers. Psionic powers do not go up in level like they would for an ordinary psionic character; all abilities that would otherwise increase with level are locked at level 1 ability.

Available Super Psionics:
Bio-Manipulation
Bio-Regeneration (Super)
Catatonic Strike
Insert Memory
Mental Illusion
Mentally Possess Others
Psi-Shield
Psi-Sword
Telekinetic Force Field
Telemechanics

Only those Robots having an independent A.I. or bionics characters getting this as an implant are able to use the Psionic Emulator. It is not available for those using Transferred Intelligence or having a pilot.
taalismn
Priest

Oh, sweet cyber-psionics... 8)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Oh, sweet cyber-psionics... 8)
I am trying to come up with more paranormal-based implants for robots and bionics characters as well. So far not finding exactly what I want in BTS and the Rifts Bionics Sourcebook that I can use to create optic implants to give a sort of paranormal vision. I am toying with the idea of PPE locators and Ley Line finders also. The books seem very much to want to keep magic and bionics at odds with one another, though.
Snake Eyes
Hero

Hey Stone Gargoyle, have you looked in rifts 'Mindwerks', for your ideas :-)
The Dragon Has Spoken
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Oh, sweet cyber-psionics... 8)
I am trying to come up with more paranormal-based implants for robots and bionics characters as well. So far not finding exactly what I want in BTS and the Rifts Bionics Sourcebook that I can use to create optic implants to give a sort of paranormal vision. I am toying with the idea of PPE locators and Ley Line finders also. The books seem very much to want to keep magic and bionics at odds with one another, though.

And THAT is why we have TechnoWizards and Mad Scientists..to force the unholy bonding of things normally at odds with each other.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Snake Eyes wrote:Hey Stone Gargoyle, have you looked in rifts 'Mindwerks', for your ideas :-)
I doubt he has. SG generally tries to avoid Rifts with a purple passion. I think he owns the Rifts Bionics Sourcebook, the Rifts Book of Magic and the Megaverse Dimension Builder, but those are it outside of SDC-based books. Is the 'Mindwerks' stuff in a sourcebook by itself or is it included in another book?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphon Chick wrote:SG generally tries to avoid Rifts with a purple passion. I think he owns the Rifts Bionics Sourcebook, the Rifts Book of Magic and the Megaverse Dimension Builder, but those are it outside of SDC-based books.
Yes, I avoid anything requiring conversion of MDC to SDC.
Snake Eyes
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:SG generally tries to avoid Rifts with a purple passion. I think he owns the Rifts Bionics Sourcebook, the Rifts Book of Magic and the Megaverse Dimension Builder, but those are it outside of SDC-based books.

Ah ok, the reason i asked was because it has a list of cybernetics/implants that boost and/or instill psychic abilities.....pretty neat stuff :)
The Dragon Has Spoken
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Snake Eyes wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Ah ok, the reason i asked was because it has a list of cybernetics/implants that boost and/or instill psychic abilities.....pretty neat stuff :)
Sounds pretty neat. If it is a sourcebook, I might have to check it out. What I am wanting to write up, however, are artificially simulated abilities which mimic psionics and magic stuff, for use by robotics characters primarily, for use in locating PPE and paranormal energy, possibly even storing it the way a Rune Weapon does, to give an android the ability to see the invisible, locate ley lines and possibly even cast spells.
Snake Eyes
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Sounds pretty neat. If it is a sourcebook, I might have to check it out. What I am wanting to write up, however, are artificially simulated abilities which mimic psionics and magic stuff, for use by robotics characters primarily, for use in locating PPE and paranormal energy, possibly even storing it the way a Rune Weapon does, to give an android the ability to see the invisible, locate ley lines and possibly even cast spells.

Sounds cool, but yeah its a sourcebook (SB-3)
The Dragon Has Spoken
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Snake Eyes wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Sounds pretty neat. If it is a sourcebook, I might have to check it out. What I am wanting to write up, however, are artificially simulated abilities which mimic psionics and magic stuff, for use by robotics characters primarily, for use in locating PPE and paranormal energy, possibly even storing it the way a Rune Weapon does, to give an android the ability to see the invisible, locate ley lines and possibly even cast spells.

Sounds cool, but yeah its a sourcebook (SB-3)
Yeah, I looked it up in the catalog. Cool. Stuff like that could be of interest.
I don't think it will be that hard to figure out how to create what I want as far as the robotics, just have to work off the abilities as listed in the psionics and magic sections of the game.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:What I am wanting to write up, however, are artificially simulated abilities which mimic psionics and magic stuff, for use by robotics characters primarily, for use in locating PPE and paranormal energy, possibly even storing it the way a Rune Weapon does, to give an android the ability to see the invisible, locate ley lines and possibly even cast spells.
See the discussion related to creating the hardware for a robot/android spellcaster in the topic thread Robot Spellcaster Creation Help in the Guild Of Magic & Psionics forum here: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=137425
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Robotics

Holographic Projectors

Pilot Projector:
This is a feature available to vehicular type robots to give the appearance of a driver. The image can actually be anything that fits the space. Enclosed compartments can have projections that fill the entire compartment, but open compartments such as those for a jeep style robot can project an image 5 cubic feet in size. The system is driven by the robot's AI which can make the image move and respond to questions, etc. Cost: $300,000

Surface Projectors: These can be placed on the outer shell of a vehicular robot to change its appearance to that of a different vehicle, on an animal type robot to make it look like an actual animal, or on a humanoid robot or android to allow it to pass for a different person or creature. The holographic image can be anything desired but has the limitation of only being able to extend 5 feet beyond the robot on any given surface. Holograms are not solid, merely light, and will not hold up upon extensive examination unless the robot also possesses force fields of some kind. One projector is needed per every cubic foot of the robot's surface. Cost: $40,000 per individual projector, with a minimum of ten needed for a humanoid size robot.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Robotics

Holographic Projectors

Pilot Projector:
This is a feature available to vehicular type robots to give the appearance of a driver. The image can actually be anything that fits the space. Enclosed compartments can have projections that fill the entire compartment, but open compartments such as those for a jeep style robot can project an image 5 cubic feet in size. The system is driven by the robot's AI which can make the image move and respond to questions, etc. Cost: $300,000.

Or, if you're driving alone, you can use it to create the illusion of passengers, and thus use the multiple-occupant traffic lane without being pulled over by the police. :-D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:Robotics

Holographic Projectors

Pilot Projector:
This is a feature available to vehicular type robots to give the appearance of a driver. The image can actually be anything that fits the space. Enclosed compartments can have projections that fill the entire compartment, but open compartments such as those for a jeep style robot can project an image 5 cubic feet in size. The system is driven by the robot's AI which can make the image move and respond to questions, etc. Cost: $300,000.

Or, if you're driving alone, you can use it to create the illusion of passengers, and thus use the multiple-occupant traffic lane without being pulled over by the police. :-D
True. You could also use it to hide/disguise the driver and passengers to give a different image, thus hiding the presence of drugs and weapons from the cops' view. There are a lot of applications for this.
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer

Are there force field systems available in any of the sourcebooks? If not, it would be interesting to see some of that appear here.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Gryphon Chick wrote:Are there force field systems available in any of the sourcebooks? If not, it would be interesting to see some of that appear here.
I don't know if there are any from canon sources or not, which is why I have not attempted any of my own. Does anyone know if there are stats for force field generators anywhere and what they would cost?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:Are there force field systems available in any of the sourcebooks? If not, it would be interesting to see some of that appear here.
I don't know if there are any from canon sources or not, which is why I have not attempted any of my own. Does anyone know if there are stats for force field generators anywhere and what they would cost?
Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide - for armors.
Atorian Empire: Guide to Imperial Space manuscript :D
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide - for armors.
Atorian Empire: Guide to Imperial Space manuscript :D
But nothing is available to robots or for vehicles, correct? If the armors have them built in and they are part of the armor cost, then is there any way of determining the cost independent of the total armor system?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The original, unrevised HU had force fields for robots.. 100 SDC for I believe $1 million.
As for the item in Galaxy Guide, it would not be that hard to say that the Force Field generator can be used for Robots/Vehicles/etc..

EDIT: Ha, found material in the book, regarding force fields and robots, bionics and normal armor

Aliens Unlimited [page #'s is for revised, but should be close to the original]

Page: 191, Special Features for Armor - The following special options can be applied to any rigid armor, be it metal, ceramic, plastic, crystal, diamond, or a survival suit {the latter could be rigid or not]. Robot and bionic characters are also welcome to add these options to their armors. Up to five featues can be added to a suite of armor.
Page: 192, 1st paragraphForce Field Generators: ..snip fluff... 100 SDC, regenerate 10 SDC per hour, Cost: 60,000 credits

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”