Hardware Unlimited ver 0.0.5

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Hardware Unlimited ver 0.0.5

Unread post by NMI »

Leon K. had an excellent idea in starting up a a sticky topic for the purpose of posting new Armor, Weapons, Gadgets, etc... for Heroes Unlimited. So, I agreed!

Let's keep the items S.D.C. (feel free to note M.D.C. conversions), but the crux of this topic should be for the world(s) of HU2/AU/etc..
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Hardware Unlimited ver 0.0.5

Unread post by NMI »

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Nice to have a place for these.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Unread post by Snowtiger »

Leon Kennedy wrote:The operator enters the distance to be spanned, presses the enter key, and the hardware magic happens.

How about using an integrated laser rangefinder in the device, so the operator just sets the thing down, turns it on, and the device automatically measures the distance and deploys the bridge. This would ensure the correct measurement of the bridge in all cases, and eliminate the possibility of operator error during deployment. Better yet, make it a part of a sensor package which would automatically determine if the anchor point on the other side of the obstacle is stable enough for anchoring into, so you'd always get the right length and stability for a bridge.

Other considerations to take into account are a super-heavy version for heavier vehicles(such as tanks, APCs, trucks and the like), which could be up to 20' wide upon deployment, and capable of carrying a maximum weight of 100-150 tons, but fold down to the size of a surfboard for transport.
"Gonna be sore in the mornin'."
- Hellboy, right after the boss fight scene, after getting up again.

"Never tempt the predator into a bloodlust."
- Snowtiger
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Portable Bridge..I like that...Could likely use the technology for high rise rescue gear as well.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

most ideas i have for hardware have to do with nonstandard rounds for shotguns and grenade launchers. the most creative two that i've come up with serve similar purposes, but in different ways:

a backwards facing remote control electronic camera round that adheres to the surface it's fired at, with optional single-shot firearm.

a harmless nanocolony that forms a near-perfect reflective surface on whatever surface it's fired at, which, due to its semi-liquid nature, is impossible to shatter.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

sadly, that's about all i have on them; i lost some files somehow when i switched over to Ubuntu a few months back.
look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane, it's Airman, *****, and i'm bringin' the pain!
i got a fan installed in my grill, no lie, i'm gonna blow your *** straight off the map, goodbye!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

How about ideas for trick weapons like trick swords,like one spray a poison on the blade,or another one have a trap that hurts any one who is not the owner,(who knowns how to disarm it.)
Snowtiger
Adventurer

gaby wrote:How about ideas for trick weapons like trick swords,like one spray a poison on the blade,or another one have a trap that hurts any one who is not the owner,(who knowns how to disarm it.)

You're welcome to try putting them together yourself. At the moment I'm too busy to even try to fit that into my schedule.

- Snowtiger
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

galahad13 wrote:I had a character create a Quarterstaff with a few balls or rods inside of it that moved when the staff was swung, and converted the kinetic energy created into an electric shock.
Write it up. give us the stats to this wonderful device!
znbrtn
Hero

Unread post by znbrtn »

i'm brainstorming some ideas for tech that utilizes a super-advanced form of self-powering , but i'm having trouble thinking of more applications than crank-charged basic energy weapons; does anyone have any suggestions, from the simple to the wildly complicated, on ways to expand this idea? i'd like it to be more fleshed out if i'm going to post it.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Gunchute

This stocy barrelled pistol uses a burst of compressed air to fire it's payload 4 feet before an attached cord causes it to break apart and unfurl. What unfurls is an aluminium composite frame that creates a 6x2 foot curved structure supporting a superlight fiberous canopy.

When unfurled, the canopy acts as as an improptu glider. while not usefull for controlled flight, the quick release nature makes it an invaluable rapid deploy descending tool. The gunchute comes with a clasp to attach to a harness and a wrist strap. opening one of these during a fall can cause the sudden jerk to wrest the chute out of the users hand. Firing the gunchute at a person causes (assuming they are within 6 or so feet) 2D4 damage, and the rapidly expanding frame can cause sufficient distraction to allow an escape. The chute is difficult to wrangle back into position in the field (can take 2-4 minutes. a lifetime in an emergency situation) so is desgined to be a single fire and forget device. the gun portion detaches from the chute, and the one use compressed air cartridge is integral to the chute portion. after detaching, a simple reload is all that is required to be good to go.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

ULF data copier

This hand held device is no larger than a soda can (and can be built into one for discretion). when 'aimed' at a digital recording device (such as a usb drive, digital camera, even a mobile phone) it sends out ultra low frequency radiation to remotely map it's contents.

While slow (around 4 MBPS) it's scanning range is a little over 4 feet wide at a range of 50 feet. The data is copied and stored in it's own memory, and can be decompiled into something readable with around 15 minutes work with the appropriate software (an hour without it an a computer programming skill roll at -15%). The unit's hard drive has the appropriate software preloaded allowing it to be installed to a PC within 15 minutes.

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Time released Knockout sauce.

This artificial chemical compound is designed to be applied to a surface (carpet is preferred) where it soaks in and slowly cooks in the presence of oxygen. when the cooking is complete, a process that can take upward of an hour, held micromolecules of a nerve agent is released, exposing the area to the effects of the agent. The typical load is designed to knock out targets, but more deadly versions have been cooked up.

The largest drawbacks are of course the unreliable nature of the release. The chemicals cook in the presence of air, so if dumped together in a single spot, it takes more time to take effect. likewise if dispersed on a carpet that sees regular traffic it could take effect sooner.

Roughly 36 ounces is required to sufficiently fill a typical (sealed) conference room. Sauce bottles are usually disguised as cleaning products. applied before a conference in the carpet is the reccommended application.

Batts
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Liquid bead armour

This suit or armour reselmbles a flightsuit or other set of coveralls, and can be made to resemble a company uniform or even military fatigues.

The light suit of armour is enhanced with a layer of impact absorbing gel that absorbs and distributes impacts. The AR of the suit is 10 and the SDC is a mere 48. However, the suit covers so much of the body that any kinetic damage done is halved.
Impacts from large and heavy sorces, such as falls, and automobile impacts bypass this protection (there is not a lot of distributing it can do)
If cut, the armour reseals itself, as the gel becomes tack and rubbery when exposed to air.

as a welcome byproduct, the Liquid bead suit acts as a decent insulator and can extend the comfort of cold weather operations by around 30%. Due to the lightness of the armour, it is often combined with heavier, regular body armor. heavier body armour can be designed to incorporate an under layer of Liquid bead armour (increase AR by 1 but decrease it's SDC by 15%. the armour is usually stripped back in the process to retain flexibility, but its effective protection is overall improved) reduce the integrated armours weight by 10%.

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Iczer's contributions have been added to Black Vault wiki!
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Iczer's contributions have been added to Black Vault wiki!

many thanks

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Iczer wrote:

many thanks

Batts

No problem. It is people like you willing to allow your materials to be posted that keep the black vault site going.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Imaging marbles

These small, marbel sized black balls are usualy carried in groups of 10-30. when rolled for more than a dozen feet continuously, they split evenly into two halves and start emitting high frequency waves out to around 8 feet each. a fistfull of these marbles can be used to rapidly sonar map a room or area, updating in real time. the data colelcted by these marbles, is linked to a portable unit carried by the deployer, and the dedicated software uses it to generate the real time sonar map.

Deploying the marbles requires an action to perform, and they react quickly. using the hand held unit, the deployer can quickly guage numbers and movements in the maped area.

a much larger (golf ball sized) unit is being field tested. these larger scanners have an effective 20 foot range, but rely on overlap. They are deployed by a gas cannister that is fired above an engagement, which rains down on the enemy. this method tends to scatter the sensors fairly wide so the data is less accurate, but spread over a wide area

in both forms, the units can be detonated at range. this is noisy and a little smoky, but the charges are designed to distract and confuse (as well as destroy evidence) rather than assault. Limited testing is underway to add a chemical warfare agent to the mix. Undetonated nodules can be collected.

Batts
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Smartplastic explosives

The smartplastic explosive is a mildly tacky compound carrying nodules of binary agents. The compound itself is mimetic, ductile, shapable and programmable. electronic signals control the overall compound's shape and consistency. Attached to a surface, the smartplastic slowly adopts the colouration of that surface, making the substance difficult to find. decreasing the voltage on the charge causes it to become stickier and more shapable, while increasing it makes it firmer in the shape it is currently in. At it's highest charge threshold, a smartplastic compound can serve as a simple metal or plastic tool.

when the current is turned off, by timer, remote or the destruction of the battery network, the substance becomes as tacky and maleable as possible. externally it retains cohesion from simple reaction with air, but internally it liquifies, allowing the two binary agents to mix until critical mass is reached and it explodes.

current models have comparable explosive capacity equal to equal masses of C4. currently work is in progress to adapt to other binary type agents (such as gasses). In Vladivostok in the latter part of 2009, a mobile phone was found to have been made entirely from smartplastic explosives. When passed through the X-ray scanner at the local airport terminal, the battery ceased working and the explosion killed 4 security personnell, a flight attendant and the phone's owner. It is believed that the owner was unaware that his phone had been switched out but airline footage reveals that he had been using it moments before the explosion.

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Leon Kennedy wrote:

I'm not sure if I've given permission or not, but if you want to post any of the powers I've done in the black vault, I'd appreciate it.

I would prefer people post their own materials over. With all the ones I currently update, I am already pressed for time to do them. There are simple rules to follow for posting materials there. Otherwise, you could request NMI post them, or one of the other people who post powers there.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Telepathic expansion chair

This device, produced by Arantech initially as a project for the US military, has had its plans leak onto the internet buried in a series of youtube videos after a funding cut that has driven Arantech lead think tank undergorund. Accordingly, several modified designs on the chair have turned up across the world in the hands of scientifically inclined anarchist groups.

The chair itself is a remarkable device. using a series of magnetic pulses and neuro-electric pulses, it creates a virtual real time brain map and reroutes its signals through a processor bank underneath the chair. a skilled technician can filter the signals, discard waste thoughts, and pump out a heightened telepathic wave.

Two users in seperate chairs can open real time, simultaneous information exchange over several hundred miles, signals that are virtually unable to be decrypted. The process is debilitating and often painful for the users though who have varying degrees of tolerance for the procedure.

Variations on chair design have refined and improved the product:
* a soviet psychic alliance have found a way to make the chair much more potent for a single user (ISP is doubled while in the chair, and saving throws vs psionics against the chair's user are at a further -4)
* a Canadian group of hackers have discovered that they can emulate regular telepathy using the chair, as well as a kind of astral projection.
* Rabbithole, a rogue CIA faction operating out of Miami, were found to have a chair in their facility. their version of the chair inverted the signal. subjects placed inside were subjected to the chair's usual discomfort, but became highly suggestable. Data gathered from it's black box indicates that creating a falshood while strapped into the chair, caused painful feedback and brain lesions. It apparently ignored language barriers. The extraterrestrial found in the chair when the base was broken into was already deceased.

Batts
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

KNA-16 Exo-energy assault weapon.

Discovered in a vault underneath a veterinarian's office, were these remarkable weapons. Used by the Wraithguard, a group of 1970's super heroes, it is unknown how 16 of their unpatented weapons made it to their eventual location. The discoverer, Willam Brendon managed to offload 7 of them through E-Bay before he was arrested and his remaining weapons were seized.

The KNA-16 is not so much an assault weapon, as it was a ray gun. The basic assembly resembles a short rifle, with a trio of Barrells, tightly coiled by wiring and anchoured to a gatling style rotater. Battery and trigger mechanism were attached to a handle. the barrels were filled with a number of piezo electric crystals, and were capped by an amalgam of metalic plates. When the trigger was depressed the barrels spun, an electromagnetic charge was generated and the peizo crystals were agitated and discharged through the barrels and agitated the end cap plates.

Under test conditions, all this served was to make the end cap uncomfortably hot.

A retooled version, made from modern maufacturing techniques and modern materials produced greater heat and produced a scattershot of x-rays and radio 'white noise' that disabled electronic devices in a 22 degree arc out to 90 feet (including a shielded computer and one tester's pacemaker).

The Wraithguard made many claims in their time that they hunted and targetted supernatural enteties, but to date no official testing has confirmed the KNA-16's ability to affect these type of creatures. But it does suggest that the Wraithguard beleived that such manifestations were somehow electromagnetic in nature. At any rate, the retooled version is extremely effective, within it's effective area, of disabling even the most advanced and shielded electronics and progress is being made to enhance its range.

The only known surviving memebr of the Wraithguard Cybil, 'Esper' Colins is an inmate within the Golden springs institute for the the insane. Normally a sufferer of periodic catatonia, and a victim of growing dementia, she became extremely distraught and lucid when shown an original prototype, asking repeatedly if 'they' had come. She has since slipped into a long term vegetative state.

Batts
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I currently have no internet at home, so it might take a while before I can get any more materials posted over to the wiki.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Got stats for these items?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Hembree77 wrote:Hover-chair
I recently had a hardware-Mechanical/Electrical, unfortunately, one of the players in the group, accidently blew his legs off 5 inches above the knees. this rather left me hindered, and unable to get around properly.
So, i designed a super hover chair.

A.R.- 12
S.D.C.- 120
Max altitude- 10ft
Max Speed- 30 mph.

Built in Features.
Micro Hover system.
Micro-Hydrogen Battery Cell System (50 hours of use)
Micro-Holographic Projector (Equivalent of a 17inch Monitor.)
Micro Computer (6 Thz processor, with 24gig DDR3, 4Terebyte HD.)
Micro-Radar (1 Mile Range)
Vehicle and Weapon Recognition Software
(takes 15 seconds for data to be displayed. currently has 20,000 weapons and vehicles programed in it. only 500 of which are military type.)
Combat Computer
Motion Detector and Warning System (50ft range)
Bio-Comp
M.S.U.
Adv. A.I. Specialized in Combat Evasion.
Docking System
Overall Bonuses of the Chair- +6 dodge, + 2 strike.
Nice!
With the docking system, what does it dock with?
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Hembree77 wrote:Hover-chair
I recently had a hardware-Mechanical/Electrical, unfortunately, one of the players in the group, accidently blew his legs off 5 inches above the knees. this rather left me hindered, and unable to get around properly.
So, i designed a super hover chair.

A.R.- 12
S.D.C.- 120
Max altitude- 10ft
Max Speed- 30 mph.

Built in Features.
Micro Hover system.
Micro-Hydrogen Battery Cell System (50 hours of use)
Micro-Holographic Projector (Equivalent of a 17inch Monitor.)
Micro Computer (6 Thz processor, with 24gig DDR3, 4Terebyte HD.)
Micro-Radar (1 Mile Range)
Vehicle and Weapon Recognition Software
(takes 15 seconds for data to be displayed. currently has 20,000 weapons and vehicles programed in it. only 500 of which are military type.)
Combat Computer
Motion Detector and Warning System (50ft range)
Bio-Comp
M.S.U.
Adv. A.I. Specialized in Combat Evasion.
Docking System
Overall Bonuses of the Chair- +6 dodge, + 2 strike.
Nice!
With the docking system, what does it dock with?

A Toilet. :lol: :D :lol:
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

galahad13 wrote:I had a character create a Quarterstaff with a few balls or rods inside of it that moved when the staff was swung, and converted the kinetic energy created into an electric shock.

Electro-Kinetic Staff
This 6' long staff is slightly thicker then your typical staff. Both ends of the EKS are capped with a spiked copper cap. Within the staff is a self-regenerating micro-battery. The battery recharges itself by storing and converting kinetic energy. A majority of this kinetic energy is generated through the momentum generated when the staff is swung, hits something, etc... Converters then convert the kinetic energy into electricity which is then stored in a series of micro-batteries. This is energy is then used for multiple effects from stun, electrical field and energy bolts.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

Electro-Kinetic Staff
This 6' long staff is slightly thicker then your typical staff. Both ends of the EKS are capped with a spiked copper cap. Within the staff is a self-regenerating micro-battery. The battery recharges itself by storing and converting kinetic energy. A majority of this kinetic energy is generated through the momentum generated when the staff is swung, hits something, etc... Converters then convert the kinetic energy into electricity which is then stored in a series of micro-batteries. This is energy is then used for multiple effects from stun, electrical field and energy bolts.

Nice! :ok: I added this to the Black Vault Wiki for you.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Mon May 24, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Dalton Industries Imprint Mat.

The Imprint mat is a square of fabric, typically rubber backed and matt black in colour, designed to respond to pressure by 'squirting' micro particles when pressure is applied. The particles are virtually invisible, but phospheresse in the ultraviolet scale. any target that has set foot (or in the case of the larger mats, driven over) not only is covered in these microparticles, but leaves a discernable trail of them as they leave.

when percived with specialised lenses designed to observe into the UV, or with any ultraviolet vision enhancements, the desired target can be identified by the tell tale splatter around his legs and feet, and can be followed with relative ease (+15% to track or surveilance skills when properly equipped). Tracking effects wear off after about a mile of regular foot travel, though rough weather or water can reduce this substantially depending on circumstances.

The mat has a secondary feature. It can store 1800 individual footprints, tagged with a time date stamp. auxilliary storage can expand this to a virtually unlimited dtabase, with support software able to make excellent guesses as to the target's height, weight and pace. Linked to a network of mats, they can be detect when a person of a specific print enters a specific area.

Batts
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Plasma wand.

Picture a tube of shaped and pulsed magnets maintaining an open 'bottle' of magnetic fields. add an electric charge and push a volitile, electrically reactive gas and you have the plasma wand.

When active, the plasma wand creates a plume of highly ionised and directed gas. Being struck by a plume of this gas is relativey harmless from an assault weapon point of view (as much as a steam burn, perhaps 1D4 damage), but the eyes are very sensitive to it. targets shot in the face need to make a saving throw (16+ PE bonuses apply) or be temporarilly blinded (-6 to all combat manoevres, double normal damage. blindness lasts for 2D6 minutes)

The more tactical use is as a anti electronics weapon. unshielded or lightly shielded electronics suffer from the ionised gas. Typically one melee round of exposure has a flat 60% chance of destroying the contents of a typical hard drive, 30% of shorting out a vehicle's electronic systems and 100% of shorting out exposed electrical components. environmentally shielded objects, without conductive protection, remain impervious.
Metal objects saturated in the ionised gas becomes uncomfortable to handle. guns in particular will have a 30% chance of touching off ammunition.

Plasma wands come in all shapes and sizes. The smallest is the size of pen, and can fire only a 3 second burst for about 1 foot. It is used as a close in antipersonnel 'suprise' attack, and usually resembles a pen. a larger version requires it's own 4 inch screw in gas cylinder, but can only maintain 15 seconds of burst before the battery runs down.

A 'sword' sized version shoots 4 feet of the flame for around 60-80 seconds. the mechanism is around a foot long and can be installed in other objects.

a cannon style version, said to be able to shoot for 30 feet is projected but it's weight is less than feasable.

an arrow version is also available, and can be fired by regular bow, a crossbow or custom made gas gun. the shaft remains lit for the duration of the flight, or can go off on impact. an optional arrow head can be fitted to penetarte light barriers (like the shell of a standard terminal, or the hood of an automobile)

Batts
Snowtiger
Adventurer

Iczer wrote:Dalton Industries Imprint Mat.

The Imprint mat is a square of fabric, typically rubber backed and matt black in colour, designed to respond to pressure by 'squirting' micro particles when pressure is applied. The particles are virtually invisible, but phospheresse in the ultraviolet scale. any target that has set foot (or in the case of the larger mats, driven over) not only is covered in these microparticles, but leaves a discernable trail of them as they leave.

when percived with specialised lenses designed to observe into the UV, or with any ultraviolet vision enhancements, the desired target can be identified by the tell tale splatter around his legs and feet, and can be followed with relative ease (+15% to track or surveilance skills when properly equipped). Tracking effects wear off after about a mile of regular foot travel, though rough weather or water can reduce this substantially depending on circumstances.

The mat has a secondary feature. It can store 1800 individual footprints, tagged with a time date stamp. auxilliary storage can expand this to a virtually unlimited dtabase, with support software able to make excellent guesses as to the target's height, weight and pace. Linked to a network of mats, they can be detect when a person of a specific print enters a specific area.

Batts

I'm pretty sure it would work just fine with people wearing shoes, because even if two people wore a pair of similar shoes(same make, width and size) there are always differences in gait, weight and little flaws in the shoes themselves due to manufacturer tolerances. I just can't imagine large office buildings having plaques near every security checkpoint reminding people to "Please take off your shoes and socks for security purposes."

- Snowtiger
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

Snowtiger wrote:
Iczer wrote:Dalton Industries Imprint Mat.

Batts

I'm pretty sure it would work just fine with people wearing shoes, because even if two people wore a pair of similar shoes(same make, width and size) there are always differences in gait, weight and little flaws in the shoes themselves due to manufacturer tolerances. I just can't imagine large office buildings having plaques near every security checkpoint reminding people to "Please take off your shoes and socks for security purposes."

I didn't think I implied otherwise. The mention of 'feet' above was a little careless I suppose, but the intention was exactly as you state.

Batts
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What do you think need to be in a Utility belt for a hero?
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

gaby wrote:What do you think need to be in a Utility belt for a hero?

anything you can fit and can reasonably carry :)

which i suppose isn't an optimal answer.

Cell phone, lockpicks (or the lockpick gun) zippo lighter, swiss army knife (or leatherman) 2-5 bullets, a few marbles, caltrops, Bubble gum, aspirin, a weapon sight (telescopic), first aid kit (one of the mini-ones) Compass, Glow sticks, handcuffs.

of course it always depends on how high-tech your arsenal really is.

Batts
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

It also depends on whether the hero has access to micronized tools and equipment.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mephisto wrote:
Iczer wrote:
gaby wrote:What do you think need to be in a Utility belt for a hero?

anything you can fit and can reasonably carry :)

which i suppose isn't an optimal answer.

Cell phone, lockpicks (or the lockpick gun) zippo lighter, swiss army knife (or leatherman) 2-5 bullets, a few marbles, caltrops, Bubble gum, aspirin, a weapon sight (telescopic), first aid kit (one of the mini-ones) Compass, Glow sticks, handcuffs.

of course it always depends on how high-tech your arsenal really is.

Batts

That's a pretty functional belt, I tried to think of some other possibilities to include, and came up with: small mirror, micro-tape recorder, pen or pencil, q-tips, remote car starter, empty medicine bottle, syringe (for taking blood samples, or injecting painkillers), several loops for larger items like a full size flashlight, billy club, etc...I can't think of anything else that's small and light enough to be practical in a utility belt.

Anti-Shark Repellant
JuliusCreed
Hero
Comment: Yesterday is history,
Tomorrow is a mystery,
But today is a gift.
That's why it is called "the present".

Unread post by JuliusCreed »

I can't believe I never went through this topic before now! I'm gonna have to turn Uncle Remus' mind to more modern pursuits from time to time now! :D
Sure, lions and tigers are stronger...
But I've never seen a wolf jump through hoops in a circus
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Collapsible Battle Staff: This weapon consists of a Mono-Filament Blade and a Staff. It is +1 strike and +2 parry. The can be turned into either a Bo-Staff, dual bladed staff, Naginata, pair of staves, paired katanas.
Mono-Filament Blade: The edge of this blade consists of a mono-filament molecule chain stretched tight on a diamond reinforced carbon nanotube blade that can severe the bonds of other molecule sand normally invulnerable characters but is ineffective against force fields (reduce damage by 1/3) Mono-Filament Blade: 5d6+4+STR

Staff: 4d6+STR+ Neural Stun: It is a weapon that releases an energy charge that temporarily short-circuits the nervous system. Damage: 3d6+STR if used as a club, 1d6+STR if used as a jabbing weapon plus stun. Save vs stun (16) or be stunned for 2d4 rounds (-8 strike, parry, dodge plus reduce speed and attacks by half). A successful save means character has lost initiative and one melee attack. Has a 1-72% chance of knocking target unconscious for 2d4 minutes (after waking up will be stunned for 1d4 minutes more). Effects are cumulative, if struck more than 4 times with unsuccessful save, will be rendered unconscious for 1d6x10 minutes.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Ice Pellets: contains a compressed liquid gel of Freon that can be used to freeze (-50 centagrade) targets in a 2in covering of ice (expands out to a total of 20 square feet 2inch thick). Will immobilize targets for 2d6 minutes. SDC of ice: 120; takes a strength of 40 to escape/break ice. Cold inflicts 5d6 cold damage and numbs exposed organics (-2 actions, -4 parry/dodge/roll) for 2d4 minutes after thaw/escape.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Unread post by AlanGunhouse »

The Portable Bridge defies the laws of physics I fear...a 2 pound device that creates a bridge that can carry 10 tons? Nope, not going to happen as a real device...real portable bridges do exist, and have since World War 1, but they weigh hundreds of pounds and are hauled by trucks. If this device did exist, it would be a piece carried by a super equipment character. In and of itself, that last is not a bad idea...
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Actually, solid energy is as bad...because the technology to create it does not exist (and, by the way, would still take way more than 2 pounds if it were possible with modern technology)...it is still a super invention. A device for Hardware should be technologically possible.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

AlanGunhouse wrote:Actually, solid energy is as bad...because the technology to create it does not exist (and, by the way, would still take way more than 2 pounds if it were possible with modern technology)...it is still a super invention. A device for Hardware should be technologically possible.

Why should it be "possible"? This is a game about Super Heroes?
Is it possible for a person to generate a negative matter field? Is it possible for a person to grow to a height of 60'?
Is it possible for a person launch an anti-matter grenade then burst fire with the main particle beam of his micronized weapon assault system?
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
AlanGunhouse wrote:Actually, solid energy is as bad...because the technology to create it does not exist (and, by the way, would still take way more than 2 pounds if it were possible with modern technology)...it is still a super invention. A device for Hardware should be technologically possible.

Why should it be "possible"? This is a game about Super Heroes?
Is it possible for a person to generate a negative matter field? Is it possible for a person to grow to a height of 60'?
Is it possible for a person launch an anti-matter grenade then burst fire with the main particle beam of his micronized weapon assault system?

I said Hardware should be possible, that is the difference between hardware and Super Inventions. Hardware does the possible very well, it is even cutting edge. Super Inventions do the impossible, like generating negative matter, or allowing a person to grow to 60' tall. If you happen to have an antimatter grenade you could launch it (but likely not survive the resulting energy release). Sounds like you are talking Robotech though, not HU...though technically alien technology may be advanced enough to do such things such people would not be counted as Hardware characters, they would be aliens.

If you can point out the page in the HU rules where it says anything about a Hardware character being able to generate Negative Matter, Grow someone to 60' tall, or use an antimatter grenade safely, I will withdraw my objection. I am not counting Villains who are created to take on whole teams...they often break the normal rules, it has to be something that a PC could use.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Keep in mind that a Super-Invention Character can be rolled up with Hardware skillset.
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Yep...any of them who invented the device themselves pretty much would have to be.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have no problem with seeing a Hardware Character or Super Inventor creating/using a Portable Force Bridge.
Especially in my game worlds which tend to be a bit on the High Tech side.

Plausible? Pfft! This is a game. :D
AlanGunhouse
Champion

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I have no problem with seeing a Hardware Character or Super Inventor creating/using a Portable Force Bridge.

Even games have internal logic...if hardware characters could invent items with super powers, why do they need a super invention class? They have the class, therefore, it has a reason to exist.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

AlanGunhouse wrote:
Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I have no problem with seeing a Hardware Character or Super Inventor creating/using a Portable Force Bridge.

Even games have internal logic...if hardware characters could invent items with super powers, why do they need a super invention class? They have the class, therefore, it has a reason to exist.
We didnt always have the class.
All in all, I think we will just need to agree to disagree.

Game on!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I say super invention is the only ones that duplicate powers.

I have no problem seeing them here.
Maybe give the name of the people who use them.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”