We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by taalismn »

May as well toss these in:

Anatomy(Medical/Technical)
This is a knowledge of the structure and arrangement of (human) bodies; their musculature and skeletons. Though generally already part of the curriculum of trained medical personnel, Anatomy is also a useful skill for scientists, particularly biologists and anthropologists, and artists(+5% to the latter when attempting to realistically depict body form). An in-depth study of Anatomy is also useful to martial artists: +1 to damage and lower Critical Damage ‘To Strike’ number by -1 when making a ‘called shot’(takes 2 APMs) on a specific point of an opponent’s body.
Base Skill: 60 % + 5% per level of experience

Architecture(Technical)
The art of structure design, from simple shacks to massive dams. Beyond simply being able to pencil out floor plans, Architecture covers a knowledge of various building materials and techniques, their strengths, weaknesses, and the logistics of construction in terms of amounts of materials needed. Masonry and Carpentry each add +5% to the Architecture skill. A failed roll means the design is flawed from a structural point of view(basement may be prone to leak, ceiling to collapsing, poor ventilation, fire hazard, etc...). As a bonus, architects will be able to discern the probable interior layout of a building and likely location of various parts and systems(use base efficiency -10% for ferreting out clues about a building the architect has never been in before).
Prerequisites: Math: Advanced, Art(Drawing)
Base Skill: 35 % + 5% per level of experience
Specializations: Taking Architecture TWICE allows for Professional quality work and can select a specialization(+5%) in a particular sort of structure, such as Residential(single-family to apartment buildings), High Rise(skyscrapers), Commercial(barns to shopping malls), Municipal(office buildings, hospitals, museums, schools, etc.,), Civil(airport terminals, train stations, parking garages,etc.), or Industrial(factories, powerplants, dams, etc.). Taking Architecture again after that allows for another specialization to be added.

Interior Design(Domestic/Technical)
The practice of designing, laying out, and finishing the layout of interior spaces with an eye towards efficient and aesthetically pleasing arrangements. Interior designers will be knowledgeable about various materials, techniques, and artistic trends in finishing interiors. A basic knowledge of construction techniques is also useful for determining hat, if any, interior structural features can be removed or modified. Working closely with a client, an interior designer works to create an interior space pleasing to the client. Having any of the following skills adds +3% to the skill proficiency: Carpentry, Stone Painting & Engraving, Art, Basic Electronics. Architecture adds a +5%. An unsuccessful roll means the resulting design is an aesthetic flop or an ergonomic nightmare that needs to be redone. Interior designers also have a greater perception of interior space; +3% to finding concealed compartments or passageways in a room, and +5% to Trap Construction when setting up boobytraps inside a building.
Prerequisites: Math: Basic, Art(Drawing)
Base Skill: 45 % + 5% per level of experience

Papermaking(Technical)
Skill in producing paper from wood pulp and rags. Papermakers know the hows of creating paper pulp, washing, drying, dying, and finishing paper of various ingredients and grades, from durable parchment-grade to fragile newsprint-quality. Unsuccessful rolls result in crumbling, wrinkled, discolored product. Having the Chemistry skill adds a bonus of +5%, Recycling +5% for using paper waste in new product.
Base Skill: 65 % + 5% per level of experience
Last edited by taalismn on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I did a number of ones like this at one time, for characters who were needing to track data on "supers". I don't know what I did with them. I might try and find them.

Please do...a 'street-level' knowledge skill of superbeings I can see as part of the skill package for superhero otaku, wannabes, and sidekicks. More specialized info available to government agents and those with paramilitary training I can see coming under the Military skill 'Intelligence'.
I will search to see if I still have them. If not, it won't take much to figure them out again. It'll give me some more to do this weekend when I am offline Sunday and Monday.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

taalismn wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Aquarium Art comes under the cover of Art(plus Botany, Biology, Breed Animals, Basic Mechanics, Mechanical Engineering, and Oxygen Systems if you're building and stocking the tank too).

Yes, this could easily be based on a specialized art skill. I'd give it a +3% bonus if botany was taken. Nope, not building or stocking the tank, just about making it look astetically pleasing..

Well, it helps to have the Rifter #0 up on my computer....it has a skill listing of skills that have appeared (to the Rifter #0's date) for easy reference.
While there is a Paint Rocks and Engraving, Feng Shui/geomancy, Housekeeping, there ISN'T a general Architecture skill(presumably because building a house or stage set would come under combined Masonry+ Carpentry+ any necessary mechanical and electrical skills. There's no skill either for Interior Design, so it's worth checking the Black Vault to see if those have been fan-done. I'm pretty sure, though, I've seen Blueprint Reading somewhere.

Come to think of it, I've gotta see if Stone Gargoyle is amenable to adding my Distilling, Viticulture, and Oenology to the list. Maybe my Bibliomancer to Magic, and my two martial arts to add as well. :D
Are they all listed in this thread? If not, I will need links of where to find them in order to add them. I think I had not added Distilling since it was very close to Brewing, which is already a skill. I will go over this thread next week and add the ones I have not added to the wiki.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

You have Architecture and Interior Design having the Prerequisite of Art, but should it not be specifically Art: Drawing, T? After all, learning sculpture would not be a prerequisite, would it.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:You have Architecture and Interior Design having the Prerequisite of Art, but should it not be specifically Art: Drawing, T? After all, learning sculpture would not be a prerequisite, would it.

God point and fixed....
As for Distilling? I figured that the description of Brewing didn't include distilled, as opposed to brewed, substances, so I figured it was in order. But I'll bow to the blanket clause.

And I'm afraid I jumped the gun on Bibliomancy...I'm reformating it and coming up with new spells for it.

As for the rest?
Here; decide if you feel they warrant separate attention or should be blanket-covered under another skill:
Oenology(Domestic/Technical)
This is the dedicated skill of producing wine. While the Palladium Medical Skill Brewing: Medicinal covers basic fermentation and the fundamentals of wine-making, it specifically excludes stronger, more ‘sophisticated’ types such as champagne and fine wine. This skill teaches wine chemistry, grape selection, storage and aging techniques, blending, and bottling, with an eye towards producing not simply a potable product, but a QUALITY vintage. The practitioner of this skill will also acquire a ‘nose’ for wine, and will be able to tell, with a sniff and a sip, the age of a wine and its particulars(type of grapes used, its history).
Base Skill: 25 %/30% + 5% per level of experience. The second stat is the quality of the end product; the lower the roll, the better the quality of the end product.
(Tasting) 40 % + 5% per level of experience.
Bonuses: +3% if Chemistry is also taken, +5% from Viticulture

Viticulture(Domestic/Technical)
The art of grape-growing. Viticulture tends to be more labor intensive than regular staple-crop growing, and so this skill focuses on large-scale cultivation of grapes. Attention is paid to recognizing the various strains of eating and wine grapes, construction of proper grape arbors, soil chemistry and optimal growing conditions.
Base Skill: 40% + 5% per level of experience.+10% if Botany is also taken.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Viticulture
would a similar skill cover olives?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:Viticulture

I don't find any specific terms for the art of growing olives so I'd consider olive farming a subset of Agriculture...Maybe take farming AGAIN to get a bonus of +10% to focus on growing particular crops. In general, I'd regard quickly prepared stap[e crops that don't require high maintenance to fall under general Farming/Agriculture. 'Luxury'(hardly essential, but high profit) crops that require lots of attention both to grow, breed, and prepare for market, might merit their own specialization.

By the same token, depending on how sophisticated and realistic you want to make your game, Cheesemaking could be a separate skill(like, for the PFRPG, where you have a fairly unsophisticated society and maybe even guilds of cheesemakers) but it could also come under as a subset of Cooking or Preserve Foods for convenience.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:

I don't find any specific terms for the art of growing olives so I'd consider olive farming a subset of Agriculture...Maybe take farming AGAIN to get a bonus of +10% to focus on growing particular crops. In general, I'd regard quickly prepared stap[e crops that don't require high maintenance to fall under general Farming/Agriculture. 'Luxury'(hardly essential, but high profit) crops that require lots of attention both to grow, breed, and prepare for market, might merit their own specialization.

By the same token, depending on how sophisticated and realistic you want to make your game, Cheesemaking could be a separate skill(like, for the PFRPG, where you have a fairly unsophisticated society and maybe even guilds of cheesemakers) but it could also come under as a subset of Cooking or Preserve Foods for convenience.

for cheesemaking you could specialization could also allow you to make VERY specialized cheese.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:
taalismn wrote:

for cheesemaking you could specialization could also allow you to make VERY specialized cheese.

Well, it probably helps to have a degree in microbiology when making cheese...especially the bleu varieties.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Okay....I'm probably courting a flaming for this....

Hangman(Technical)(Specialty)
“Are you sure this thing is safe?”----Dr. William Palmer, British serial killer, last words(1856).
Not for the faint of heart, this skill is meant for capital punishment. A properly trained and careful hangman(not a lyncher) can calculate the proper length of rope, drop, and siting of the knot to insure a quick neck break and hopefully short suffering on the part of the condemned. An unsuccessful roll, and history is rife with accounts of botched hangings(GMs, use your discretion, or even provide a miracle if it’s a PC being hung). The skill also covers knowledge of the proper construction of gallows and trapdoors. Professional hangmen(and executioners in general) have historically enjoyed a dubious distinction; shunned by the public but called upon to serve when and where capital punishment in the form of the noose looms.
Prerequisite skill: Ropeworks.
Base Skill: 50 % + 5% per level of experience
+5% if the Anatomy skill is also taken( or Xenology, especially useful if hanging beings other than human).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:Okay....I'm probably courting a flaming for this....

Hangman(Technical)(Specialty)
“Are you sure this thing is safe?”----Dr. William Palmer, British serial killer, last words(1856).
Not for the faint of heart, this skill is meant for capital punishment. A properly trained and careful hangman(not a lyncher) can calculate the proper length of rope, drop, and siting of the knot to insure a quick neck break and hopefully short suffering on the part of the condemned. An unsuccessful roll, and history is rife with accounts of botched hangings(GMs, use your discretion, or even provide a miracle if it’s a PC being hung). The skill also covers knowledge of the proper construction of gallows and trapdoors. Professional hangmen(and executioners in general) have historically enjoyed a dubious distinction; shunned by the public but called upon to serve when and where capital punishment in the form of the noose looms.
Prerequisite skill: Ropeworks.
Base Skill: 50 % + 5% per level of experience
+5% if the Anatomy skill is also taken( or Xenology, especially useful if hanging beings other than human).

Ropeworks I can see and even anatomy or xenology. maybe carpentry also?
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

taalismn wrote:Okay....I'm probably courting a flaming for this....

Hangman(Technical)(Specialty).

Ropeworks I can see and even anatomy or xenology. maybe carpentry also?

On;y if you're actually building the gallows yourself.

I wrote this up from three sources....One was a description of the execution of mutineers from the dutch merchant ship Batavia, in which the author describes trapdoor gallows as a more modern development, as well as the rather grisly practice as was carried out in those times(life was cheap in those days).

Second, in the old comic strip Tumblemweeds, one of the recurring bit characters is an itinerant professional hangman(occasioning such scenes as him wandering into a general store and asking for a pair of suspenders, whereupon the store owner asks "Droopy drawers?" "Nah, coupla of my ropes are getting sorta frayed.").

Finally is reading an account of the Sanson family, the French family dynasty of executioners who survived the Revolution by dint of being essentially social pariahs; nobody else could be saddled with the job of being official guillotiners for whatever government was in charge. Not exactly a happy family tradition, partially since there was no state pension when there wasn't work.

And one I haven't seen here before:

Pilot: Trains/Locomotives(Piloting)
The skill of efficiently and safely operating fixed-track/path locomotives, from steam engines and diesel-electrics to modern monorails and mag-levs. Also includes subway cars and trolleys. Covers switching, signaling, track safety, and basic maintenance procedures.
Base Skill: 65 % + 5% per level of experience
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Hangman and the Pilot:Trains skill both very good and welcome skills to have, I should think.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Hangman and the Pilot:Trains skill both very good and welcome skills to have, I should think.

Especially if you're running a Western campaign...Train robberies and a necktie party? :bandit:

And the recent train crash in France proves that even with modern computers and telecommunications, operating a train still takes skill and attention.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

one lore skill
lore:police
you can recall information about police & police procedure
base 45+5% per level
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:one lore skill
base 45+5% per level
I believe someone did a set of skills designed for police involving their procedures already. In any case, it would not be a lore skill. In order for this to be a working skill, there needs to be more detail as to exactly what procedures are involved. This is way too vague.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
base 45+5% per level
I believe someone did a set of skills designed for police involving their procedures already. In any case, it would not be a lore skill. In order for this to be a working skill, there needs to be more detail as to exactly what procedures are involved. This is way too vague.

Are you kidding? This is classic Abe work.

Technical Skill
Identify Abe Post
35% +16% per 1/84th level
basically the ability to identify a post by Abe
Last edited by The Oh So Amazing Nate on Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
base 45+5% per level

Are you kidding? This is classic Abe work. If it were any more detailed, thought out, or worth the time it took to type then it would not be Abe.

Technical Skill
Identify Abe Post
35% +16% per 1/84th level
basically the ability to identify a post by Abe
Careful, now, it is against board policy to talk bad about people and doing so could get the thread locked. How ever we feel about him posting, he has a right to do so. Freedom of speech and all that.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

I thought the lore:police skill was new!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:I thought the lore:police skill was new!

Forensics(CE, RMB, HU2, NB, N&SS, SF).
Criminal Sciences(BTS2, RUE).
These can be considered police procedures(investigations), but they already exist as distinct skills.
Police radio protocols would come under Radio: Basic.
Using police databases would be Computer Operation.
Knowledge of law would come under Lore: Legal.
Weapons handling would come under the respective Weapons Proficiencies.
Criminal profiling could come under Psychology.
And ID'ing uniforms and ranks could be considered a subset of Military Etiquette.
A purely historical knowledge of police would come under Lore: History(for fans of true crime reading).

Your description needs to be defined better, and needs more meat on its bones.

In general, I refer to three sources when seeing if a skill has been done before:
The Black Vault as maintained by SG(it has a keyword search function)
The Rifter 0.1 ---It has a master list of Palladium skills up to 2008(I maintain a PDF copy on my computer desktop)
The N&SS GM's Netbook( http://www.geocities.ws/kuseru/NewMasterSkillsList.htm)
This last has the advantage of featuring skills featured in the old edition ATB books such as Mutants Down Under, which allowed me to confirm that 'Lighter Than Air Vehicles' had already been done canonically as a skill.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Volcanology(Science)
The study of volcanoes, magma, and other eruptive and dynamic earth features. Includes a knowledge of geochemistry, basic seismology,and familiarity with various theories on volcano eruption prediction(such as gas analysis vs seismic signatures) and probe methods.
Base Skill: 40 % + 5% per level of experience, with regards to identifying volcanic features and characteristics. +10% from Geology.
Eruption PREDICTION is far less certain, and far broader; for game purposes, however, GMs may wish to allow a predictive chance of 15%+3% per level of experience, within a 6d6 day window, when using sophisticated sensors.
Last edited by taalismn on Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Volcanology(Science)
The study of volcanoes, magma, and other eruptive and dynamic earth features. Includes a knowledge of geochemistry, basic seismology,and familiarity with various theories on volcano eruption prediction(such as gas analysis vs seismic signatures) and probe methods.
Base Skill: 40 % + 5% per level of experience, with regards to identifying volcanic features and characteristics. +10% from Geology.
Eruption PREDICTION is far less certain, and far broader; for game purposes, however, GMs may wish to allow a predictive chance of 15%+3% per level of experience, within a 6d6 day window, even using sophisticated sensors.
Nicely done. I will post it to the Black Vault Wiki when I get online tomorrow, as I am out of time today.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
taalismn wrote:Volcanology(Science)
Eruption PREDICTION is far less certain, and far broader; for game purposes, however, GMs may wish to allow a predictive chance of 15%+3% per level of experience, within a 6d6 day window, even using sophisticated sensors.
Nicely done. I will post it to the Black Vault Wiki when I get online tomorrow, as I am out of time today.

Thanks. Please note an update to the changing of the word 'even' to 'when' in OP, as per Drewkitty's suggestion. :-D

Also may as well post the related:

Seismology(Science)
The study of earthquakes and plate tectonics. This covers identification of seismic activity, familiarity with remote sensing and probing techniques and methods, and knowledge of known and charted fault zones and seismically-active regions. Also allows for knowhow with regards to evaluating pre-earthquake potential damage and post-earthquake damage, including tsunami threat potentials.
Like volcanology, the ideal goal of seismologists is accurate PREDICTION of earthquakes, using collected sensor data, but at best predictions have proven possible only in the broadest terms. .
Base Skill: 45 % + 5% per level of experience, with regards to identifying seismic activity(distinguishing between an earth tremor and shockwave from distant impactor or underground explosion, for example). +10% to Architecture when designing earthquake-proof structures.
Earthquake PREDICTION is far less certain, and far broader; for game purposes, however, GMs may wish to allow a predictive chance of 12%+3% per level of experience, within a 1d4x10 day window,when using sophisticated sensors.
Last edited by taalismn on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

I was going to ask if you were going to do Seismology as well. You post appears to cut short, though. I took the liberty of posting it to the vault and added "when using sophisticated sensors" at the end of the sentence, as I assume that was what you meant to finish with.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I was going to ask if you were going to do Seismology as well. You post appears to cut short, though. I took the liberty of posting it to the vault and added "when using sophisticated sensors" at the end of the sentence, as I assume that was what you meant to finish with.

Thanks. Perils of posting at work, when suddenly Affordable Health Care Act questions crop up. :)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I was going to ask if you were going to do Seismology as well. You post appears to cut short, though. I took the liberty of posting it to the vault and added "when using sophisticated sensors" at the end of the sentence, as I assume that was what you meant to finish with.

Thanks. Perils of posting at work, when suddenly Affordable Health Care Act questions crop up. :)
Um, you might still want to edit your post here, though.
taalismn
Priest

Done.
So we have Seismology and Volcanology for predicting earthquakes, tidal waves, and volcanoes.
SG's meteorology covers tornadoes, hurricanes, and bad weather.
Pathology or Microbiology could broadly cover disease/pestilence
Nuclear/Biological/Chemical covers nuke/germ/chemical warfare.
Astronomy covers incoming meteors and comets, and maybe solar flares and supernovas.
Entomology covers locusts.
Lore: Religion covers acts of god(s).
We're fairly covered for disasters, no?
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Done.
So we have Seismology and Volcanology for predicting earthquakes, tidal waves, and volcanoes.
SG's meteorology covers tornadoes, hurricanes, and bad weather.
Pathology or Microbiology could broadly cover disease/pestilence
Nuclear/Biological/Chemical covers nuke/germ/chemical warfare.
Astronomy covers incoming meteors and comets, and maybe solar flares and supernovas.
Entomology covers locusts.
Lore: Religion covers acts of god(s).
We're fairly covered for disasters, no?
How does Lore: Religion cover acts of god? Astrology might, if you are talking about trying to predict things based on movement of astrological bodies.
taalismn
Priest

Not so sure Meteorology would cover plate tectonics; it WOULD, however, dovetail with oceanography, given the influence of ocean currents on climate change. Volcanology comes into it with regards to ash clouds(say goodbye to your jet engines!), greenhouse gas releases, and atmospheric albedo(like Krakatoa's cooling effect for over five years of global climate).
Mashing multiple skills together, however, would be a necessity for producing multi-factor 'big picture' analysis of world climate trends.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Mephisto wrote:
taalismn wrote:Not so sure Meteorology would cover plate tectonics; it WOULD, however, dovetail with oceanography, given the influence of ocean currents on climate change. Volcanology comes into it with regards to ash clouds(say goodbye to your jet engines!), greenhouse gas releases, and atmospheric albedo(like Krakatoa's cooling effect for over five years of global climate).
Mashing multiple skills together, however, would be a necessity for producing multi-factor 'big picture' analysis of world climate trends.

It has to, meteorology isn't the same as climatology. Meteorology is the science of earth movement (be it water, air, or earth), whereas climatology is the study of Earth's atmospheric nature. Being able to ascertain the movements in water to determine oceanic currents and whirlpools would be better done by a specialist, but a meteorologist could at least understand what is going on, and that something bad is going on, by visually seeing the localized weather. Likewise, meteorologists can read doppler radars, isobar charts, contour maps, and a lot of other specialized equipment to determine the causation of weather and seismic phenomenon.

Not sure where you're getting the 'earth' portion of the definition of Meteorology; every dictionary and reputable online source I've found defines it as the study of the atmosphere and weather conditions, and make no mention of seismic or deep crustal phenomenon.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:
Mephisto wrote:
taalismn wrote:Not so sure Meteorology would cover plate tectonics; it WOULD, however, dovetail with oceanography, given the influence of ocean currents on climate change. Volcanology comes into it with regards to ash clouds(say goodbye to your jet engines!), greenhouse gas releases, and atmospheric albedo(like Krakatoa's cooling effect for over five years of global climate).

It has to, meteorology isn't the same as climatology. Meteorology is the science of earth movement (be it water, air, or earth), whereas climatology is the study of Earth's atmospheric nature. Being able to ascertain the movements in water to determine oceanic currents and whirlpools would be better done by a specialist, but a meteorologist could at least understand what is going on, and that something bad is going on, by visually seeing the localized weather. Likewise, meteorologists can read doppler radars, isobar charts, contour maps, and a lot of other specialized equipment to determine the causation of weather and seismic phenomenon.

Not sure where you're getting the 'earth' portion of the definition of Meteorology; every dictionary and reputable online source I've found defines it as the study of the atmosphere and weather conditions, and make no mention of seismic or deep crustal phenomenon.
I would have to agree with taalismn on this one. Meteorology is the study of the atmosphere and weather conditions and does not apply to earth phenomena as Mephisto suggests, at least not according to any source I have seen.
taalismn
Priest

Not sure Soccer would give you that much MA or golf that much ME(I've known soccer player jerks and golf players with hair trigger tempers). :D
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The bonuses for Golf do not make it worth taking as a separate skill and I do not agree with giving someone another skill for taking it unless it costs two skill slots to take.
taalismn
Priest

Mercbook1 wrote:Kinda shocked not talked about any of the others though someone would hate the football one.

Om general I wouldn't call them skills or skill packages; I'd say they're better described as OCC modifiers for something like a Combat Athlete or Professional Athlete OCC, since they're the ones with the time and resources to dedicate to such intense specialization in a particular sport.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Mephisto wrote:
taalismn wrote:
Mercbook1 wrote:Kinda shocked not talked about any of the others though someone would hate the football one.

Om general I wouldn't call them skills or skill packages; I'd say they're better described as OCC modifiers for something like a Combat Athlete or Professional Athlete OCC, since they're the ones with the time and resources to dedicate to such intense specialization in a particular sport.

Says the person that came up with Hangman and Pilot Trains skills. Aren't they specializations as well?

Well, your average rogue scholar isn't going to take Hangman unless they REALLY have a hate-on for their fellow human beings or academic rivals(you'll also note that I originally posted Hangman with a (Specialty) category tag, so that it might be limited to GM fiat or special OCC), and we have weekend train buffs who take a turn at the throttle of admittedly slow-moving trains(I've done it, but don't ask me if I'm ready to tackle the TranSiberian Express)). A PROFESSIONAL train engineer would also be taking courses in Mechanics Basic and maybe Automotive Engineering or Electrical Engineering depending on whether you're working on a steam engine, diesel loco, or large electrically-powered train, and knows how to repair and rebuild their engines.
Now, while anybody can take up a pickup game of soccer or football, the skill packages as written by Mercbook 1 are more in line with somebody who spends more than a weekend out at the track and field doing exercises, pushing dummies, and throwing balls, putting on muscle and muscle-memorizing certain patterns of physical activity. It's the difference between putting on an inflatable sumo suit and actually BEING a Sumo Wrestler living around the clock the necessary preparatory and traditional lifestyle to be a proper Sumo Wrestler.
I just don't see giving casual athletes those sorts of bonuses for playing those games/positions; they're more compatible with Professional/Combat Athletes, much in the same way as Exclusive martial arts styles are the province of Dedicated Martial Artists.
Last edited by taalismn on Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Mercbook1 wrote:Just though those packages are HS kids border line could go to college in the sport. Think most kids at that level have already played football for over a decade. And could always cut the benefits in half just depends on the GM.

True; but that's often before a person's OCC is 'fixed' and they dedicate themselves to a particular OCC path, unless they immediately decide to multiclass(which would drive most GMs nuts). I do like the idea of splitting the bonuses, though; a high school jock's going to be in much better shape than the school bookworm, though whether he can hold that early edge depends on later lifestyle choices and events(the bookworm might outstrip him by becoming Indiana Jones). :D :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Now, for Mephisto, you mentioned Climatology?...Climatology IS considered a subfield/branch of Meteorology(and as such would be considered a specialization), particularly with regards to predicting long-term climate forecasts, and WOULD include more study of earth sciences, oceanography, geochemistry, and even biology/biochemistry(with regards to carbon sequestration by oceanic animals and the effects of methane from all those cows and goats). As such, Climatology, if formatted as a skill, would be modified by other skills like volcanology, biology, and oceanography(the former two to a greater degree).
On the whole though, rather than make it a separate skill, a climatologist would be better described (game mechanics-wise) as a Scientist OCC who has the Meteorology, Oceanography, and relevant earth sciences and would average them to make climatology predictions, or at least that's how I'd run it as a character*.

*Such a character might find better use in a space opera game for predicting the prospects for a inhabited world with regards to climate trends or terraforming procedures. Most other game situations are more likely to need a weatherman/meteorologist for more immediate forecasting(Though I could see a Heroes Unlimited character suddenly doing the math and coming out with 'Great Scott! He means to melt the South Pole with his Lamp Black Ray and plunge us into a new Greenhouse meltdown!!!")
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

athletic support sniffing troglodytes the lot of them.

Nerds Rule!

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

Mercbook1 wrote:Just wondering when we can get past the stereo type that all jocks are stupid. Think about all the kids that go to college to play sports and the few that actually make it to pro sports. You brought up Indian Jones think a Indian Jones type guy that was a x-college QB could fill that roll. Time to stop thinking jocks are the meat heads of the 60's and 70's things have changed.

Simple: I don't consider the ones who go on to greater endeavors to be jocks. Neil Armstrong most certainly wasn't a bookworm when he was younger, nor George Bush(Senior), nor was Chuck Yeager or any of a slew of people who went on to greater, physically demanding, things. But they had plans and sports were only stepping stones or a side hobby to what they were really aiming for. The key is not to be pigeonholed either by incidence or choice into a career path where one's options are limited. Now admittedly, given a choice between a roomful of academic data-munchers and a single intern who can collect field data and wrestle alligators, the smart professors go with the ball player-cum-field hand.
But if the recent exposes of the price certain professional sports exact on players is any indication, even if one goes into the more rigorous/violent sports with good intentions and high academics, a career of it can reduce those badly(Muhammed Ali is fortunate enougto have come through an illustrious pro boing career with his marbles intact, but he's paid a fearsome price, and what's coming out about repetitive head injuries in football is truly frightening). Plus all the other problems of repeatedly torn ligaments, constant inflammation(which canlead to heart disease and other disorders), chronic pain, and diminished capacity..... Even with modern medicine, professional athletes only have a small window of opportunity to make their mark before irreparable damage sets in.

I believe somewhere there's a listing for a Palladium version of Sports Medicine; that becomes a lot more relevant when you look at what the jock-turned-pro has to look forward to when they're pushing the envelope.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

And before we return to skill mechanics, here's a little something I hope we don't have to worry about:

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp164/taalismn/3ipVSPL_zpsefacb091.png
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Gryphon Chick
Adventurer
Comment: "Incredible Cosmic Power! ...teeny tiny living space."

Unread post by Gryphon Chick »

Mercbook1 wrote:Just wondering when we can get past the stereo type that all jocks are stupid. Think about all the kids that go to college to play sports and the few that actually make it to pro sports. You brought up Indian Jones think a Indian Jones type guy that was a x-college QB could fill that roll. Time to stop thinking jocks are the meat heads of the 60's and 70's things have changed.
The stereotype comes from college players who drift by on scholarships and do not apply themselves to their education. The statistics of college players actually graduating are very low.
"Sorry, I'm busy tonight...Same thing I do every night...Trying the take over the world..."
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Gryphon Chick wrote:
The stereotype comes from college players who drift by on scholarships and do not apply themselves to their education. The statistics of college players actually graduating are very low.

I think that the words "Jock" and "Athlete" are being used interchangeably here, they are not interchangeable terms. All Jocks are Athletes, not all Athletes are Jocks.
The term 'Jock' is defined as "An enthusiastic athlete or sports fan, with few other interests."
There are many Athletes who do well academically, I would say very few of them are actually "Jocks".
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

13eowulf wrote:
Gryphon Chick wrote:

I think that the words "Jock" and "Athlete" are being used interchangeably here, they are not interchangeable terms. All Jocks are Athletes, not all Athletes are Jocks.
The term 'Jock' is defined as "An enthusiastic athlete or sports fan, with few other interests."
There are many Athletes who do well academically, I would say very few of them are actually "Jocks".
This is true. Statistically, student athletes actually do better than the rest of the student body, from what I have read.
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[This is true. Statistically, student athletes actually do better than the rest of the student body, from what I have read.

Indeed, and it's not Hans Zarkoff Ming the Merciless hates the more, it's 'Flash' Gordon.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
taalismn
Priest

Stasis System Operation(Medical)----Knowledge in the use, operation, and maintenance of medical and space travel bio-stasis systems. A trained operator will know the safe operating parameters and material requirements of a number of bio-stasis systems, how to prepare subjects for stasis induction, and can, in an emergency, perform ‘crash’ operations speeding the stasis process up, overriding any automated system process, or in processing samples and patients in less-than-optimal condition(badly damaged.wounded). The first roll is for successful induction of the materials/subjects into stasis...an unsuccessful roll means that the patient may incur damage* as a result of a rushed and botched procedure. A critical failure(off by 25% or more means that the stasis is unsuccessful(this can be especially hazardous if there is nobody else active to attend to the stasis system. The second roll is for reviving a stasis-held subject, especially under rushed or emergency conditions. An unsuccessful roll means that the patient/subject takes damage* during the revival procedure, while a critical failure of 25% or more means that emergency treatment must be immediately applied or face death!
Prerequisites: Biology, Read Sensory Instruments, Paramedic
Base Skill: 60/50 % + 5% per level of experience, +10% if Medical Doctor is also taken.

*Damage may vary according to the stasis procedure and circumstances; chemical and semi-solid stasis may result in oxygen-deprivation(brain damage, damage to P.E., etc.) and poisoning from bad drug reactions, while cryogenic processes may result in frost-bite related injuries. GMs, use your discretion.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

chemistry(practical jokes)
this skill will allow the user to produce stink bombs & other silly tricks for defeating foes or just to have fun.
base skill 25+6% per level.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

abe wrote:chemistry(practical jokes)
this skill will allow the user to produce stink bombs & other silly tricks for defeating foes or just to have fun.
base skill 25+6% per level.

Some people would consider synthesizing LSD or nitroglycerine to be nifty practical jokes.
And one person's silliness can be considered another person's Demolitions or Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological warfare skill.
Or, if you want to be more innocuous and less inclined to blow people up, using a mixture of water and corn starch to create a fluid you can walk on.
The fact of the matter is, you can't perform chemical practical jokes from scratch without chemistry, PERIOD. The practical joke capability comes afterwards when you start to apply your learning.
If you're just performing practical jokes with chemistry without being able to do anything else with it, you haven't learned chemistry, you're re-doing stuff you read in a book or a recipe somebody else wrote for you. I can make edible muffins from a mix, by reading the instructions, but that doesn't mean I now have Cooking(Muffinry), nor does it qualify me with a Cooking skill(in other words, if I then try to deepfry a turkey, you would be correct to start hiding behind fireproof shelter). My new muffin-making ability is more an application of Literacy( correctly reading the instructions) and Math: Basic(measuring the ingredients) than a Cooking skill.

Everything you'd need to know to do fun things with chemistry, including practical jokes, is already covered by the existing Chemistry skill.
Ask Bill Nye or Mister Science....chemists who know how to make teaching chemistry fun, not fun people who happen to know a little chemistry.
Just don't ask Bill Nye to dance.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

taalismn wrote:Stasis System Operation(Medical)----Knowledge in the use, operation, and maintenance of medical and space travel bio-stasis systems. A trained operator will know the safe operating parameters and material requirements of a number of bio-stasis systems, how to prepare subjects for stasis induction, and can, in an emergency, perform ‘crash’ operations speeding the stasis process up, overriding any automated system process, or in processing samples and patients in less-than-optimal condition(badly damaged.wounded). The first roll is for successful induction of the materials/subjects into stasis...an unsuccessful roll means that the patient may incur damage* as a result of a rushed and botched procedure. A critical failure(off by 25% or more means that the stasis is unsuccessful(this can be especially hazardous if there is nobody else active to attend to the stasis system. The second roll is for reviving a stasis-held subject, especially under rushed or emergency conditions. An unsuccessful roll means that the patient/subject takes damage* during the revival procedure, while a critical failure of 25% or more means that emergency treatment must be immediately applied or face death!
Prerequisites: Biology, Read Sensory Instruments, Paramedic
Base Skill: 60/50 % + 5% per level of experience, +10% if Medical Doctor is also taken.

*Damage may vary according to the stasis procedure and circumstances; chemical and semi-solid stasis may result in oxygen-deprivation(brain damage, damage to P.E., etc.) and poisoning from bad drug reactions, while cryogenic processes may result in frost-bite related injuries. GMs, use your discretion.
Are there stats in existence for said bio-stasis systems?
taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]Are there stats in existence for said bio-stasis systems?

Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide has three such systems...Chemical, Semi-Solid Suspension, and Cryostasis.
They're easily adapted to other settings(of course, other settings, you may also have magical and chrono-manipulation systems...I believe that Earth Warlocks have a spell that allows them to coccoon themselves in a protective hibernaculum of stone).
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

taalismn wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:[]Are there stats in existence for said bio-stasis systems?

Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide has three such systems...Chemical, Semi-Solid Suspension, and Cryostasis.
They're easily adapted to other settings(of course, other settings, you may also have magical and chrono-manipulation systems...I believe that Earth Warlocks have a spell that allows them to coccoon themselves in a protective hibernaculum of stone).

I think Thunderloud Galaxy also has such systems (I am aware this thread is in the HU section, but it is also the only skills thread, so, just sayin).
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”