We Gots The Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Re: We Gots The Skills

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

Nmi that was with hth basic. I was trying to show that it works out better than when the only + 1 apm skill was boxing. Or have i misunderstood what you were saying?

EDIT.. oh i see what happened. My tablet didn't display the wholepost. Tmnt doesn't give extra apm with hth @ level 1. That's where i got sideways.
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:[This made me laugh, thank you!

I like the idea of it being used by a ludicrous mage in "new and frightening ways". :ok:

You're welcome. I WAS going to offer you advice on how to handle an absence of criticism but realized that might in itself be construed as criticism, and possibly facilitating an addiction to criticism, in which case I would only be contributing to a vicious circle, in which case...well, I'd feel like a bum either way... :|
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

:ok: Taalismn. Always say a positive thing whenever possible. It takes 10 kind words to erase 1 hurtful word.

So thanks :D :D :D

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
taalismn
Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote::ok: Taalismn. Always say a positive thing whenever possible. It takes 10 kind words to erase 1 hurtful word.

Have some more:

Bonuses at level

9. Increase breathholding duration by 50%
10. Mitigation of failed roll: On a failed roll, the character gets a -5% on the effect roll
11. Percussive Belching; the character can vary the volume (and length of each volume change) as many times in a melee(and on one breath) has the character has ME points(in theory, this could allow the character to belch musically or in Morse code)
12. Belch now has a Horror Factor of 9
13. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length
14. Can hold small objects(no more than 1 ounce in weight) aloft on their belch updraft
15.Mitigation of failed roll: On a failed roll, the character gets a -10% on the effect roll
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote::ok: Taalismn. Always say a positive thing whenever possible. It takes 10 kind words to erase 1 hurtful word.

Have some more:

Bonuses at level

10. Mitigation of failed roll: On a failed roll, the character gets a -5% on the effect roll
11. Percussive Belching; the character can vary the volume (and length of each volume change) as many times in a melee(and on one breath) has the character has ME points(in theory, this could allow the character to belch musically or in Morse code)
14. Can hold small objects(no more than 1 ounce in weight) aloft on their belch updraft
15.Mitigation of failed roll: On a failed roll, the character gets a -10% on the effect roll

Awesome!

EDITED
taalismn wrote:11. Percussive Belching; the character can vary the volume (and length of each volume change) as many times in a melee(and on one breath) has the character has ME points(in theory, this could allow the character to belch musically or in Morse code)

Do you mean like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfszygrO ... Wv3zKQAKtK

well except for "the return of" one.
Also, should this be PE as this type of activity is limited by your endurance (PE) rather than willpower (ME)?

taalismn wrote:14. Can hold small objects(no more than 1 ounce in weight) aloft on their belch updraft

LOL wut?!! A counter proposal.. Remove 14 and put 15 in it's place.

For 15: Belch now has a Horror Factor of 12 and is can be considered a VERY minor breath weapon. Not doing any damage, but rather where the defender would need to save (here's where I drew a blank) to avoid some spectacular effect.

Something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcRv8fhA8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQbF1mxYEVY

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:should this be PE as this type of activity is limited by your endurance (PE) rather than willpower (ME)?
I would make it PE, personally, as it would kind of be related to your endurance and ability to hold/control your breathing.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Any other suggestions?
Not at this time.

Really? Wow. I'm not sure how to react to that. I'm used to criticism and being told how something should have been done or could have been done differently. So thanks I guess.
I merely had nothing to add and did not want to insult it. I already mentioned it being incomplete, but I am glad Taalismn added some levels to round it out a bit.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
taalismn
Priest

taalismn wrote:

Have some more:

Bonuses at level

Awesome!

EDITED
taalismn wrote:11. Percussive Belching; the character can vary the volume (and length of each volume change) as many times in a melee(and on one breath) has the character has ME points(in theory, this could allow the character to belch musically or in Morse code)

Do you mean like this?

well except for "the return of" one.
Also, should this be PE as this type of activity is limited by your endurance (PE) rather than willpower (ME)?

taalismn wrote:14. Can hold small objects(no more than 1 ounce in weight) aloft on their belch updraft

LOL wut?!! A counter proposal.. Remove 14 and put 15 in it's place.

For 15: Belch now has a Horror Factor of 12 and is can be considered a VERY minor breath weapon. Not doing any damage, but rather where the defender would need to save (here's where I drew a blank) to avoid some spectacular effect.

Something like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcRv8fhA8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQbF1mxYEVY

Your word is final on this. :-D I just thought the ability to flip a quarter in air and keep it aloft on belch-power alonewould be truly impressive/obnoxious, though. :)

However, when I read this skill first, I had an immediate memory of an old Don Martin cartoon from Mad Magazine where a big jock-kid and a weedy nerd are having school lunch outside. Rather, the jock's gorging himself while the nerd's doing homework and complaining about the science questions.
"I don't get how we're supposed to answer some of these questions! For example: 'Do noxious gases rise or fall in the atmosphere?'."
Jock: *BELCKKKKK*
(THUD)
Nerd:(looking at the stunned bird now stumbling from the small crater nearby) "...okay....Next question."
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

taalismn wrote:Your word is final on this. :-D I just thought the ability to flip a quarter in air and keep it aloft on belch-power alone would be truly impressive/obnoxious, though. :)

However, when I read this skill first, I had an immediate memory of an old Don Martin cartoon from Mad Magazine where a big jock-kid and a weedy nerd are having school lunch outside. Rather, the jock's gorging himself while the nerd's doing homework and complaining about the science questions.
"I don't get how we're supposed to answer some of these questions! For example: 'Do noxious gases rise or fall in the atmosphere?'."
Jock: *BELCKKKKK*
(THUD)
Nerd:(looking at the stunned bird now stumbling from the small crater nearby) "...okay....Next question."

You make some very good points. I'll have to take a minute to ponder it, then I'll combine it all together and post a (rough) final version.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

How's this for a collected edit of the skill for finalization.
Competitive Belching (Physical):

Like the Competitive Eater, the Competition Belcher has trained his body to perform outside the normal ranges. Through hours of practice, the PC has conditioned himself to expel air trapped within his digestive system in a controlled manner. While not the most socially graceful of skills the PC is capable of some impressive, if not dubious, feats.
25% +5%
Bonuses at level
1. Maximum belch length 5 seconds. Maximum belch volume 70 decibels, +2 Save vs vomiting.
2. + or - 1D4 to Charm Impress / Disgust Revolt depending on the Socio-economic make up and age of the audience when performing a belch. (GM determines audience make up/reaction)
3. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length
4. +1 Save vs. pain. +1D10 decibels to belch volume. Character can talk and burp at the same time
5. PC can now control the tone/resonance of their burps from a simple 'erp" to a deep slow bellowing rumble.
See Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZ5GJdZr5ew
6. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length +1 Save vs vomiting, +1 Save vs. pain
7. +1D10 decibels to belch volume
8. +1d4 to Intimidate through Bull frogging (PS inflates his stomach by swallowing large amounts of air making himself appear larger than normal).
9. Increase breath holding duration by 50%
11. Percussive Belching; the character can vary the volume (and length of each volume change) as many times in a melee(and on one breath) has the character has PE points (in theory, this could allow the character to belch musically or in Morse code)
See Example:
13. +1D4+1 seconds to belch length. Can hold small objects(no more than 1 ounce in weight) aloft on their belch updraft
14. Mitigation of failed roll: On a failed roll, the character gets a -10% on the effect
15. Belch now has a Horror Factor of 12 and is can be considered a VERY minor breath weapon. 1D4 damage and defender must also Save vs Noxious fumes at a -1D8 (GM rolls for belch potency). The most impressive feature of attaining this level of skill, is not doing any significant amount of damage, but rather the (GM determined) spectacular effect that occurs from a belch of such magnitude.
See examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmcRv8fhA8E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2J60Qs ... e=youtu.be

Consequence of a failed roll.
01-25% PC loses duration control. Burp is short, harsh, and abrupt. Next attempt is at -5% due to throat pain.
26-50% PC completely fails at burp and suffers painful stomach cramps. PC loses initiative for next round.
51-75% PC loses control of burp and it is forced out through the nostrils. -2 to Strike due to acid reflux in the sinus cavity and massive eye watering
76-00% Catastrophic failure. While the belch is loud, long and resonant it dislodges something on its way out. Pc must roll to save vs vomiting or risk puking up to 1D6 feet. Initiative is lost and combat bonuses and attacks are halved for next round if save is not made.
Last edited by The Oh So Amazing Nate on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Thank you for doing a final edit, Nate. It's good for those who might want to copy/paste the skill to files on their computer or who might want to print out the post for inclusion in their games.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Thank you for doing a final edit, Nate. It's good for those who might want to copy/paste the skill to files on their computer or who might want to print out the post for inclusion in their games.

:ok: :D

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

taalismn
Priest

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Thank you for doing a final edit, Nate. It's good for those who might want to copy/paste the skill to files on their computer or who might want to print out the post for inclusion in their games.

:ok: :D

Well, sometimes seemingly simple concepts need an extra push to get them going. Or you need additional viewpoints/constructive criticism/another village idiot to add polish to an idea. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Are there any skills in canon for layering of clothing to stave off hypothermia and the effects of cold? I thought of that one over the weekend after Nate bugged me on Facebook for yet MORE Hobo Skills.

Wilderness Survival or Urban Survival

Layering:
The character knows how to layer their clothing to provide the most warmth during cold weather and still maintain mobility and movement. Upon a successful skill roll when dressing, the character has temporary bonuses to defend against cold (+2 to save vs. cold when first acquiring the skill, plus +1 to save vs. cold at each three levels after that, penalties and effects due to cold are halved) until such time as they undress, have to redress or have their clothing messed up or damaged in battle. Base Skill: 30% +5% per level of experience.
Last edited by Stone Gargoyle on Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Are there any skills in canon for layering of clothing to stave off hypothermia and the effects of cold? I thought of that one over the weekend after Nate bugged me on Facebook for yet MORE Hobo Skills.

I did No Such Thing! :nh: I merely offered a suggestion to help you with your writers block. :P

Good work though. May I suggest wording that implies they also know how to wear the maximum amount of clothing in the correct order to maintain comfort and mobility (don't put on your overcoat then, a back pack, layer on 4 t-shirts, a hoodie, and a poncho. )

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Are there any skills in canon for layering of clothing to stave off hypothermia and the effects of cold? I thought of that one over the weekend after Nate bugged me on Facebook for yet MORE Hobo Skills.

I did No Such Thing! :nh: I merely offered a suggestion to help you with your writers block. :P

Good work though. May I suggest wording that implies they also know how to wear the maximum amount of clothing in the correct order to maintain comfort and mobility (don't put on your overcoat then, a back pack, layer on 4 t-shirts, a hoodie, and a poncho. )
I do not have writer's block, merely am uninspired at the moment for my next project. But you bring up an interesting point, they will have to be able to maintain mobility in spite of layering on a lot of excess clothing.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mephisto wrote:I guess since I don't use the two attacks for living and hoped that Brawling and Rough-Housing would only apply to characters with no other combat skills I should add the following:

Only characters with NO Hand to Hand skills can gain the extra attacks per melee from these two skills. All other facets of the skills apply to other trained combat characters. So an unskilled person with the two skills won't totally suck in combat but won't take down that Hardware or Secret Operative character based on those two skills alone.
I like the skills you created as far the brawling and such are concerned. However, I disagree with not allowing certain classes/Power Categories from benefiting from the same bonuses. Though, if I ever get a physical group together, I will probably try testing both versions.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

rapping-a subset of singing(thus singing is a prequisite for this skill)almost everybody has a rap song at least once in his/her life,so no need for a description(at least from me!)
base skill-45 + 6%(a bonus of 12% if you have public speaking,best guess,if you have a better on then I am all ears)
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

abe wrote:rapping-a subset of singing(thus singing is a prequisite for this skill)almost everybody has a rap song at least once in his/her life,so no need for a description(at least from me!)
base skill-45 + 6%(a bonus of 12% if you have public speaking,best guess,if you have a better on then I am all ears)

OR your could just link the wikipedia page for Rapping
Oderint Dum Metuant.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:rapping-a subset of singing(thus singing is a prequisite for this skill)almost everybody has a rap song at least once in his/her life,so no need for a description(at least from me!)

don't know how to do that,sorry.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

abe wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

seriosly what's your take on this skill?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

abe wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Since tone doesnt convey over forums I meant the above in a jovial way, nothing more. :ok:

I have used Sing as a skill for Rapping in the past, so it works, but I personally would remove the bonus from public speaking, and add one for having creative writing (given the emphasis is often on the lyrical rhyming which showcases one's skill).
Oderint Dum Metuant.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Since tone doesnt convey over forums I meant the above in a jovial way, nothing more. :ok:

I have used Sing as a skill for Rapping in the past, so it works, but I personally would remove the bonus from public speaking, and add one for having creative writing (given the emphasis is often on the lyrical rhyming which showcases one's skill).

that does make sense.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

opera singing(another subset of singing,so again singing is a prequisite)
opera singing is the art of telling a story useing nothing but song
base skill-45 plus p.e.% + 4% per level
bonus-you can hold a note for 3 minutes per level!
p.e increases to +1d6 & m.a is +1d6 as well!(but only for serious music lovers otherwise it lowers,yes lowers 1d4 when singing!)
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:I guess since I don't use the two attacks for living and hoped that Brawling and Rough-Housing would only apply to characters with no other combat skills I should add the following:

Only characters with NO Hand to Hand skills can gain the extra attacks per melee from these two skills. All other facets of the skills apply to other trained combat characters. So an unskilled person with the two skills won't totally suck in combat but won't take down that Hardware or Secret Operative character based on those two skills alone.

My quick fix is to remove the +1 APM from roughhousing. If it is a 2ndary form of wrestling, then the apm doesn't fit as wrestling doesn't give an apm. Maybe some other bonus instead?

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

abe wrote:opera singing(another subset of singing,so again singing is a prequisite)
p.e increases to +1d6 & m.a is +1d6 as well!(but only for serious music lovers otherwise it lowers,yes lowers 1d4 when singing!)

3 minutes per level? the World Record is under 2 minutes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwmHswast0
Oderint Dum Metuant.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

13eowulf wrote:
abe wrote:opera singing(another subset of singing,so again singing is a prequisite)

3 minutes per level? the World Record is under 2 minutes...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZwmHswast0

the timing was a quess on my part,sorry for the confution.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Three minutes or more on a high note and roll to save versus spontaneous explosion... :clown:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

rpg indentifacation
basically the ability to indentify various role-playing games
base chance 42 + 4% per level.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:rpg indentifacation
basically the ability to indentify various role-playing games
base chance 42 + 4% per level.
Why would you need to identify them, they say what they are right on the box they come in or the book they are contained in. Truthfully, I see no purpose to this skill.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Mephisto wrote:Well if you want to remove the +1 APM (which is a valid argument) then a +1 to strike for Takedowns would be valid. But I wouldn't add it to a general Strike bonus. Maybe a +1 to Maintain Balance would also be appropriate.

Sounds about right. Rather than get an extra attack from what is basically play fighting/wrestling, the PC gets a +1 to take down and sense of balance. The better rough houser you are, the less likely you are to be the one winding up underneath the other trying to dodge a dangling spit gobbet or someone's buttocks in your face.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

bar fighting- costs 2 skill selections or 4 secondary skills to learn. negates all penalties from intoxication or drug use allowing the character to effectively sober up long enough to fight well. this moment of clarity lasts for 3 minutes plus pe/2 plus 1 minute per level. example Billy B.A. is a 6th level Rogue Scholar with a PE-16 so in a drunken word slurring contest then suddenly BATTLE! Billy is able to clear his head and fight effectively for 17 minutes(68 melees!) before suffering the negative affects of being drunk and trying to fight.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mephisto wrote:
Mephisto wrote:Well if you want to remove the +1 APM (which is a valid argument) then a +1 to strike for Takedowns would be valid. But I wouldn't add it to a general Strike bonus. Maybe a +1 to Maintain Balance would also be appropriate.

Sounds about right. Rather than get an extra attack from what is basically play fighting/wrestling, the PC gets a +1 to take down and sense of balance. The better rough houser you are, the less likely you are to be the one winding up underneath the other trying to dodge a dangling spit gobbet or someone's buttocks in your face.

If that someone's buttocks though is Kelly Hu or Maggie Q I'd probably want to fail that :lol:
But yeah, no one wants the buttocks of Will Pharrell or Joe Rogan anywhere near their faces.

What about Grace Park?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

lazer-tag
basically the art of non-leathal range fighting
base skill 56 + 6% per level.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:lazer-tag
I see this as more of a modern weapons skill so percentages would not be applicable and you could merely use the existing WP Energy Pistol bonus for it.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
I see this as more of a modern weapons skill so percentages would not be applicable and you could merely use the existing WP Energy Pistol bonus for it.

Perhaps 'Lazer-Tag Tactics' as a Domestic or Cultural skill?
would not the tactics for a game of Lazer-Tag be different from actual combat?

Otherwise I agree, the current WPs would suffice for enacting the combat itself.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

Otherwise I agree, the current WPs would suffice for enacting the combat itself.
I could see a Tactics skill being made available as a military skill, but not sure if someone would have such things available for games such as Lazer-Tag.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I could see a Tactics skill being made available as a military skill, but not sure if someone would have such things available for games such as Lazer-Tag.
I would think the skill Go (n&ss) would be all the tactics skill you would need (re-name it chess or tactical games if need be)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

I would think the skill Go (n&ss) would be all the tactics skill you would need (re-name it chess or tactical games if need be)
Gaming skills might do the trick if wanting something thast can be taken as a non-military career, I suppose.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

in lazer-tag you can bounce the beam off of mirrors,fyi
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

abe wrote:in lazer-tag you can bounce the beam off of mirrors,fyi
I am still not understanding why you would need a special skill for that.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

In this I was thinking league-level or championship level play. There is an international Championship league after all.
As there is with most sports. And I would wager that most are not privy to military level tactics and information.

As to why it is needed... well it isnt per se, I was just trying to help out the poster.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Damian Magecraft wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:Perhaps 'Lazer-Tag Tactics' as a Domestic or Cultural skill?

Gaming skills might do the trick if wanting something thast can be taken as a non-military career, I suppose.
Well considering that Go, Chess, and several other Tactical based games are suggested or required study for OCS... and they are available to the "common" man that they should not be limited to military skills.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Already exists a Military Tactics skill

Robotech Shadow Chronicles

Military Tactics: Study and application of military strategy, tactics and forces. The character is well versed in current tactical threands and the proper, and often unconventional, use of military units to secure victory. Students of Military Tactics are also educated in the historical military tactics, since much can be learned from the history of warfare, and can analyze enemy forces and movements to decipher the tactics of their commanding officers. Bonus: Adds +10% to Detect Ambush and Detect Concealment. Base Skill: 35% +5% per level

Robotech: Macross Saga Sourcebook

Theater Warfare: Surface, Submarine, Ground or Aerospace
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

diabetic cooking-this is a sub-set of cooking(thussly cooking is a requisite) that allows you to make food tempting & healthy for diabetics!
base skill 23 + 3% per level.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

abe wrote:diabetic cooking-this is a sub-set of cooking(thussly cooking is a requisite) that allows you to make food tempting & healthy for diabetics!

I like the idea and though as I am sure most diabetics would, but I dont see it needed to be a separate skill from Cooking. Perhaps those who select cooking can select "x" amount of cooking styles @ 1st level. If taken as a professional skill, increase the number of styles OR increase the skill percentage of the styles selected.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

NMI wrote:
abe wrote:diabetic cooking-this is a sub-set of cooking(thussly cooking is a requisite) that allows you to make food tempting & healthy for diabetics!

I like the idea and though as I am sure most diabetics would, but I dont see it needed to be a separate skill from Cooking. Perhaps those who select cooking can select "x" amount of cooking styles @ 1st level. If taken as a professional skill, increase the number of styles OR increase the skill percentage of the styles selected.

Speaking as one from a family of professional Chefs (I myself an not one though), The 'X' amount of styles per level, with perhaps the ability to take the skill multiple times for additional styles works well.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Having studied as a nurse and under several chef's I feel that "diabetic cooking" is not and should not be a separate skill from regular cooking. The majority of jobs I've held have been in the food service industry (even while I was in nursing school I still worked in restaurants). My father is a diabetic, as was my grandmother.
There isn't anything different you do in the cooking or preparation of foods for Diabetics, The only difference is in the amounts and types of food that a Diabetic "should" eat. With proper moderation of food intake and following Dr.'s orders regarding medication and exercise most Diabetics can eat whatever they like and even reverse the disease process. None of that comes from the skill involved in cooking the food.

A skill/profession dealing with the preparation of a diabetic diet would be a Registered Dietician. Which, like a Medical Dr. isn't a single skill, but a whole slew of them. Probably it's own skill program.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

But the skill should include more then "put chicken on pan, heat, flip, heat some more, serve to lady".
Interaction between seasons/spices, knowledge of tastes, how heating something one way affects something vs heating it another. This would include the general types of a food a diabetic should/could eat [more specifically, what is better for them]. I see no reason as to why "Diabetic Cooking" couldnt be a "style" of cooking in and of itself.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

NMI wrote:But the skill should include more then "put chicken on pan, heat, flip, heat some more, serve to lady".
Interaction between seasons/spices, knowledge of tastes, how heating something one way affects something vs heating it another. This would include the general types of a food a diabetic should/could eat [more specifically, what is better for them]. I see no reason as to why "Diabetic Cooking" couldnt be a "style" of cooking in and of itself.

Because it's not a style of "cooking" the food, but of food choices. I suppose if you consider the cooking skill broad enough to include such things as nutrition information and portion control then yeah.. you might fudge it in there. But the "cooking" of the food is no different for a diabetic than for any other person (with the exception of cardiovascular patients. then you cut back on the salt and maybe don't fry everything. however it is still "cooked" the same way).

This is more me griping about sloppy skill creation than an actual problem with the skill itself. Sorry for being the resident curmudgeon.

The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”