Build help / Redundancy analysis

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Build help / Redundancy analysis

Unread post by lbeaumanior »

Greetings,

For a one new game (potentially a long adventure), we are playing on the Nightbane setting, but adding HU and N&S characters options.

Given the power of Nightbane, I was allowed my pick of powers and hero category. I picked Godling (because of course I did) and I got stuck at two potential character options:

1. No-Sell guy.
      Mega Abilities: Doesn't need air to breathe, Immortal (Yes, when rolling as a Mega we add an extra Mega ability)
      Major Abilities: Invulnerability
      Minor Abilities: Healing Factor, Immune to Illusions, Immune to Magic, Immune to Psionics, Immune to (Some) Super Abilities, Impervious to Control & Possession, Impervious to Fear & Terror

This option is for a guy that can not be killed easily, and attack in melee. Problem is this guy seems to have redundant abilities, I think that Immune to Magic + Immune to Psionics cover what Immune to Illusions does but I am not really sure of the rules, can you offer some guidance on coverage? (I am aware that a net or a pit can stop this guy, and Healing Factor was chosen because gives Dim Mak immunity and dispels negative chi).

2. Wizard Supreme.
    The support option. Considering the setting, should I change the Godling extra Major ability for the 10 spells, or just go for the universally applicable Invulnerability major? Invulnerability seems to cover the "glass cannon" problem of most spellcasters, voids the need of most defensive spells, and gives a slight increase in P.E. (useful for P.P.E. and Chi)

Any help for these build options would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Last edited by lbeaumanior on Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Build help / Redundancy analysis

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I never trade MA powers for skills, nor super abilities for spells.
Both the skills and spells can be learned later.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I never trade MA powers for skills, nor super abilities for spells.

Indeed, that was my opinion. Two questions:

1. What are your ideas of the first option? The "Nothing can really damage me" guy.
2. What would it be the best single major power generically applicable to this character? I think of Invulnerability, but there might be others not considered.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

lbeaumanior wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I never trade MA powers for skills, nor super abilities for spells.

1. What are your ideas of the first option? The "Nothing can really damage me" guy.
2. What would it be the best single major power generically applicable to this character? I think of Invulnerability, but there might be others not considered.

That guy can still be damaged by supernatural strength attacks, magic weapons, psionic attacks, and the GM would need to rule how Nightbane Talents fit into this mix. Immunity to illusions would cover non-magical and non-psionic illusions, such as those created through Nightbane Talents, Super Powers, and Technology.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Glistam wrote:
lbeaumanior wrote:

That guy can still be damaged by supernatural strength attacks, magic weapons, psionic attacks, and the GM would need to rule how Nightbane Talents fit into this mix. Immunity to illusions would cover non-magical and non-psionic illusions, such as those created through Nightbane Talents, Super Powers, and Technology.

I think it will also cover Hound Master and Night Prince illusions.

What about a major power for the Wizard option?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

lbeaumanior wrote:What about a major power for the Wizard option?

For the sort of character you're building, I'm not sure. Perhaps either Re-Channel Kinetic Energy or Zombie Flesh, both from Powers Unlimited 3?

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Glistam wrote:

For the sort of character you're building, I'm not sure. Perhaps either Re-Channel Kinetic Energy or Zombie Flesh, both from Powers Unlimited 3?

Multiple Selves on a Wizard character has a lot of potential, too. Suddenly there's a LOT of P.P.E. available to meet your spell casting needs!

lbeaumanior
Wanderer

Glistam wrote:
Glistam wrote:

Multiple Selves on a Wizard character has a lot of potential, too. Suddenly there's a LOT of P.P.E. available to meet your spell casting needs!

Wait this is amazing! I had never thought of this... Those obscene high level spell that require hundreds or thousands of P.P.E.? Easy peasy!

QQ: Can duplicates learn spells on their own? If so, does reabsorbing a duplicate will grant me spell knowledge? Because this seems the way to get spell research done on an exponential level.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Seems like it would be the GM's call, based on the wording of the power.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

lbeaumanior wrote:

1: I wouldn't allow it a game I ran.
2*shrugs* its okay.
---
multiple selves....some GMs would make it the char's PPE pool gets divided between all the selves.
MS's & spells: as per the canon rules, No.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
lbeaumanior wrote:Two questions:

1: I wouldn't allow it a game I ran.
2*shrugs* its okay.
---
multiple selves....some GMs would make it the char's PPE pool gets divided between all the selves.
MS's & spells: as per the canon rules, No.

Why do you think it shouldn't be allowed? This guy still can be pinned down by a net, thrown in a hole, left stranded in the middle of the desert/jungle/sea, lacks ranged attacks, and his "thing" is merely absurd survivability, being good at not being hurt.

Any form of immobility will hit him hard, and it still can be flung about by some strong attack.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

1 it wouldn't be fun to GM for the character.
lbeaumanior
Wanderer

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:1 it wouldn't be fun to GM for the character.

Got a better build, while keeping the same premises:

Mega Abilities: Doesn't need air to breathe, Immortal
Major Abilities: Invulnerability
Minor Abilities: Extraordinary Intelligence, Extraordinary Mental Affinity, Extraordinary Mental Endurance, Extraordinary Physical Endurance, Healing Factor, Immune to (Some) Super Abilities, Iron Will

This character has absurd saves vs magic, horror factor, possession, insanity, illusions, mind control, psionics... So it covers all (or nearly all) the things that were immunities in the previous build, while being a peerless genius, a dazzling charismatic guy, an unflappable stoic, healthy and sturdy with large amounts of hit points and S.D.C., a true Renaissance man (or godling in this case).

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”