Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:59 pm

Knight

Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
Warwolf wrote:
Gothic_Ronin wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:
And now we come back to the problem with the line. It can't keep a writer. The only person who has supplied more than one book for it was CJ himself. After that, Kevin Hassall and Jason Vey each provided one book.

I'm afraid that even if there was a new book, it wouldn't generate much interest. The line has stagnated for too long.

Very true. I have a very difficult time seeing Nightbane ever take off even if they make new books. With as long as the line hasnt been supported. It suprises me how many Palladium fans I know who dont even know it exists. Other than myself I know no gms who even run it anymore. To be honest my players love the game but I am flat burnt out on haveing to keep hand making things to keep the game going. (Thats sad sinc making stuff up for a game is my favorite part)

Well, hopefully Mike is wrong and there is enough "old blood" who are fans of the line to support the it as it comes back to life. There is a new book due out this year (in case you guys didn't notice), so hopefully we'll be seeing more stuff for this line in years to come (it's needed some love for a while now). :)

Will believe it when I have it in my hands and not a second before. Hardships or not, we've all done this dance with Palladium 20 times too many.

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:36 pm

Knight

Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.
Uncle Misfit wrote:
Marrowlight wrote:
Warwolf wrote:
Gothic_Ronin wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:
And now we come back to the problem with the line. It can't keep a writer. The only person who has supplied more than one book for it was CJ himself. After that, Kevin Hassall and Jason Vey each provided one book.

I'm afraid that even if there was a new book, it wouldn't generate much interest. The line has stagnated for too long.

Very true. I have a very difficult time seeing Nightbane ever take off even if they make new books. With as long as the line hasnt been supported. It suprises me how many Palladium fans I know who dont even know it exists. Other than myself I know no gms who even run it anymore. To be honest my players love the game but I am flat burnt out on haveing to keep hand making things to keep the game going. (Thats sad sinc making stuff up for a game is my favorite part)

Well, hopefully Mike is wrong and there is enough "old blood" who are fans of the line to support the it as it comes back to life. There is a new book due out this year (in case you guys didn't notice), so hopefully we'll be seeing more stuff for this line in years to come (it's needed some love for a while now). :)

Will believe it when I have it in my hands and not a second before. Hardships or not, we've all done this dance with Palladium 20 times too many.

Only twenty times?

I was being kind. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:23 am

Wanderer

So far all I have seen is talk about the "New" book. Im with Marrow I will belive it when I see a book in my hands. I also heard there is a book at the end of last year...... People say alot of things, but that dont make it a fact. I mean I tell my brother Im gunna kill him when he takes the last beer but that dont mean I really will. Well maybe..........

I'll tell you a secret: When your number comes up, you're going to go. Well, every morning I get up, I change my number." ~Edward Chun~ Pearl Harbor Survivor

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:46 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Gothic_Ronin wrote:
So far all I have seen is talk about the "New" book. Im with Marrow I will belive it when I see a book in my hands. I also heard there is a book at the end of last year...... People say alot of things, but that dont make it a fact. I mean I tell my brother Im gunna kill him when he takes the last beer but that dont mean I really will. Well maybe..........

And here I thought I had inspired some hope... :-?

Well, Kevin has stated that it is under development by a team that "seems to know what direction to take it".

As that's more than we've had in years, I'd say it's cause to be a bit more optimistic.

But maybe that's just Misfit and I. :?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:29 am

Hero

Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson
Warwolf wrote:
Well, Kevin has stated that it is under development by a team that "seems to know what direction to take it".

And we were told that the BtS2 supplements would be out soon after its release as well.

I'll be surprised if this is something that is out by the end of next year, personally. Seeing as how it is "under development" currently and there is a backlog of finished material that is waiting to be released (see: Minion Wars books, Rifts Deep Souths, PFRPG Mysteries of Magic, Chaos Earth Supplements, etc.) - not to mention the other properties that are also "under development" that will take time (see: Robotech and Warpath) - the end of next year would surprise me.

That is, unless the line got its own editor. That would speed the process up a tad. However, I think that scenario is about as likely as getting to see a finalized LOD3 by the end of the month.

"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:07 am

Adventurer

Comment: I game... Therefore I am...
Don't get any hope up at all. Things happen and you can't rely on a book coming out when you want it until you see that big announcement, "IT IS HERE!"

:lol:

I know I've said that before but I have been using PB products for a long, long time and that is just how you have to handle it to avoid disappointment.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:28 am

Hero

Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson
MASTERMIND wrote:
Things happen and you can't rely on a book coming out when you want it until you see that big announcement, "IT IS HERE!"

Unfortunately, that's the truth.

"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:45 pm

Steve President George W. Bush wrote:
MASTERMIND wrote:
Things happen and you can't rely on a book coming out when you want it until you see that big announcement, "IT IS HERE!"

Cynics. :P

I'm not saying that the book will actually come out THIS YEAR (though one could hope... a little), though there is at least work being done for a book in the line.

It's (quite literally) a start. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:06 pm

Adventurer

Comment: I game... Therefore I am...
Warwolf wrote:
Steve President George W. Bush wrote:
MASTERMIND wrote:

Cynics. :P

I'm not saying that the book will actually come out THIS YEAR (though one could hope... a little), though there is at least work being done for a book in the line.

It's (quite literally) a start. :)

:lol:

Cynics? NAY I SAY! NAY! Just realists based on passed experience. I won't believe a word they say until they can show me the book in print.

:P

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Comment: 'tis an ill wind that blows no minds, Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar-Jung to Freud
425 Geek Points "There is NO separation between God, & Man" Joseph Campbell
I love to see some NB stuff out, but Palladium got rid of 10% of it's staffers..... :? :x I see realists as being the true optomists. Pragmatic,
as well. I'd like to see more in the Rifter. I'd love to write something for this line, but lack the imaginative skills to do it.
G

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:50 pm

Grandil wrote:
I love to see some NB stuff out, but Palladium got rid of 10% of it's staffers..... :? :x

Um, no. The only staff to leave in the past several years that I know of were Steve Sheiring (for obvious reasons) and Maryann. Both of which have been replaced since then (by Tony Falzon and Kathy Simmons).

You may be referring to freelancers, but I believe they have just as many long-term freelance writers now as they did when C.J. and Bill did work for them (if not more). Who knows, if things work out with the new Nightbane book, perhaps there will be even a couple more. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:31 pm

Dungeon Crawler

the only thing that you can be sure of with palladium is there will be at least a rifts book or two released once a year. Anything else is just rumor, and it usually stays that way: a rumor. :(

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:49 pm

Dungeon Crawler

sawg138 wrote:
Ridley wrote:
the only thing that you can be sure of with palladium is there will be at least a rifts book or two released once a year. Anything else is just rumor, and it usually stays that way: a rumor. :(

Unless it came from the Kevin's mouth at OH and one knows the authors involved. 8)

can i get a hint?

please? :D

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 11:41 am

D-Bee

Quote:
It will be awesome in a finding your roots sort of way.

I think that's an excellent way to put it.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:28 am

Ridley wrote:

Well, the newest press release states that they are shooting for October of this year.

Let's keep our fingers crossed everyone. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:01 pm

Hero

I admit i haven't read the whole thread yet, so please don't bite my head off if this has been brought up. How about distribute Shadows of Light (and any other out of print books for that matter) as downloadable .PDFs? Sell them for $10-$15 a piece, almost no overhead... Hell, you could have an Intern make a master copy with manuscripts and a scanner... think about it. :D

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:47 am

Hero

sawg138 wrote:
asajosh wrote:
I admit i haven't read the whole thread yet, so please don't bite my head off if this has been brought up. How about distribute Shadows of Light (and any other out of print books for that matter) as downloadable .PDFs? Sell them for $10-$15 a piece, almost no overhead... Hell, you could have an Intern make a master copy with manuscripts and a scanner... think about it. :D

You'd trust Galactus Kid (Brandon Aten) with a scanner? He's a hazard with a dustpan.

LOL, don't know the fellow personally so couldn't say... Dust pan hazzard? Really? :shock:

Fine fine, send me the manuscripts, I got nothing but time till the surgery. I'll use me own copy o' Adobe Acrobat and me own scanner, all I ask is a copy of each .PDF I make for personal use :D

Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:
So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:50 pm

Explorer

personally for the most part i liked sol. I never could get a feeling for the anetholes. (yes i know i spelled it wrong) So when I do my campains I ignore them. I thought the reapers were an interesting minor menace, one to throw at them while on an important mission as a red herring or as encounters for when the party is enjoying some r&r,or to have them as a tool to show some formerly good guyès snapping after the horrors of dark day. I liked the city and vampire write up the best. The one thing that aggravated me the most would have to be the dark slayer O.C.C. Do to the fact that they edited out the Templar order and left the occ as it was.

If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:18 pm

Champion

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this book actually published for a short while? I could have sworn I saw it on the shelf at my local gaming store but at the time hadn't played it in years so didn't pick it up (which if it was in fact this book, I'll kick myself for missing the opportunity to own it).

If it was actually published, and the only real reason it isn't being published now is because of Palladium's financial issues, why isn't it being offered online as a PDF?

It would take minimal man hours (I'm guessing less than 20) to get a PDF of it ready for sale, using a high speed high resolution scanner that a publishing company is likely to already have. You could sell it at $5 and break even on the man-hours spent digitalizing it with less than 50 sales. After that it's pure profit. That would help Palladium's financial difficulties I'm guessing.

If there's an extra copy of the book laying around the Palladium office, I'm sure some people out there would be willing to digitalize it for a free copy of the book, all it would cost Palladium then is the cost of that single hardcopy.

If the text is all there, why not do it this way? All that time wasted on editing a book, assembling it, purchasing the art, etc. Might as well recover some money from it. And there's always the option to sell hardcopies of it at a future date, many people who bought the PDF would still buy the book just to have a hardcopy they can keep in their backpack and use at gaming sessions where a computer isn't conveniently located. I know other gaming companies sell both hardcopy and digital versions and I know several people who have a digital and hardcopy of the same books, one for tabletop use and the digital copy to use on their laptop while away from their books, or the digital copy on their thumbdrive to read on their PC at work, etc.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Knight

LostOne wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this book actually published for a short while?

Yup. Looking at my copy right now in fact.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:43 pm

LostOne wrote:
If the text is all there, why not do it this way? All that time wasted on editing a book, assembling it, purchasing the art, etc. Might as well recover some money from it. And there's always the option to sell hardcopies of it at a future date, many people who bought the PDF would still buy the book just to have a hardcopy they can keep in their backpack and use at gaming sessions where a computer isn't conveniently located.

Just to clarify something: Having sold out of the original print run, Palladium has already broken even and then some on the cost of production. The decision to discontinue the book would have more to do with the fact that they don't feel it would sell well enough, quick enough to recoup printing costs this time around.

As far as PDF, none of their online material is up yet. So for now it is a moot point. As for it being offered in the future as a PDF, it might be a possibility (much like reprinting it) unless Kevin no longer feels it is representative of the product he wishes to sell. But who knows, we can only wait and see. Especially with the new sourcebook slated for early next year.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:22 am

Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
I will be getting the Minion Wars books, Just becasue they are Crossovers into HU and PF.......Maybe thay could work in a NB crossover book to :D Or just a small book about the size of a rifter. I wouldn't even mind if it was just a side story from the main minionwar books.
Holy Cow! It totally forgot Nightbane in the Devil/Daemon War! That should be mentioned! Curse me for not thinking of it myself.

My Blog and My Other Blog

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:31 pm

Zenvis wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
I will be getting the Minion Wars books, Just becasue they are Crossovers into HU and PF.......Maybe thay could work in a NB crossover book to :D Or just a small book about the size of a rifter. I wouldn't even mind if it was just a side story from the main minionwar books.
Holy Cow! It totally forgot Nightbane in the Devil/Daemon War! That should be mentioned! Curse me for not thinking of it myself.

Nah, it is talked about in Hades. While they apparently know about Nightbane Earth there are a couple good reasons why the war won't spread there.

1) Comparitively hard to get there and back. Thus, not really a good jumping-off point.

2) Too hostile an atmosphere! The Nightlords don't like demons (with the notable exception of Lilith, but she's made her alliance already) and Nightbane aren't typically too fond of them either. Thus, Nightbane Earth is more trouble than it's worth.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:51 am

Dungeon Crawler

Ouch! Was digging around online, and found a copy for sale on Amazon. Only a 200 dollar bill. Woo Hoo! :eek:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:51 am

Palladin

I do not think the line is stagnent . IF one was to use the rifter material they could add quite a bit of stuff . AS a matter of fact threw the Rifter is exactly how I got into the nightbane setting . I at current have Nightbane Rule book as well as Between the Shadows. I am eagerly awaiting Nightlands as well as Glass Darkly. My Regular grp never does anything half - way . If I leave a small opening for possibly exploring another form of reality they then go balls to the wall kickin an screaming an bust the door down . So before I get them into the nightbane world TOO heavily I have to have ALL the core books lol . I told them I just recieved Hades an they were like SWEET shall I pack my bags ? I was like you actually WANT to GO to HELL ? oh the fun I shall have in there as the GM haha . Well thats my 2 cp's on this . An btw .. I do absolutly LOVE what I am reading on the Nightbane setting in Books 1 and 2 so far . Great works .

-Lenwen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:36 am

Palladin

I just as of this morning had help hunting down this very hard to find book an it has now been added to the small collection an should arrive by the end of next week . I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of this book since it was a hot bed of debate on being good or not so good .

-Lenwen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 11:18 pm

Wanderer

Holy.. wow..

I just bought a copy of this the other day at a small game store in town that I just visited for the first time.. I only paid 15 something after tax for it. It was on sale as no one had bought it since they'd had it. I also got Adventures in the Northern Wilderness for 3.99, Further Adventures in the Northern Wilderness for 3.99, a copy of Yin Sloth Jungles for 4.99 and first edition printing of the Palladium Fantasy for 6.99!! I didn't need the last two but all of these were brand new (unused anyway) and cheap!! woohoo!! Unfortunately that was about all the Palladium stuff they had, they seemed to be mostly a war games shop.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:00 am

Explorer

one way to get ahold of the book for its actual price or maybe a bit less. Is to go to your gaming store and ask the owner if he can get you a copy. You may find that his distributer has a few lying around that he was unable to get rid of. That is how I got my copy and all of the rifters after they were discontinued .

If Archie 3 were to read every palladium book every made would his head explode immediatly do to inconsitancies, or would it take him a couple of days to reason out there is no reason and thus kill himself? ~ Rolling Bear

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Hero

Raist25m wrote:
Ouch! Was digging around online, and found a copy for sale on Amazon. Only a 200 dollar bill. Woo Hoo! :eek:

They'll be sitting on that book for a very long time, too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:09 pm

Palladin

Today this morn I recieved my Copy of Shadows of Luclin . I will say this much . I really REALLY like it . Perhaps its simply due to me first time ever checking out the Nightbane setting an now have core book , between the shadows as well as Shadows of Luclin . Waitn on the other two books from my Xmas grab bag if it ever arrives :oops: anyways I think I might be a bit biased here heh but yeah in my opionion this is a VERY very good work an very well thought out on some of the consepts Good work Jason Vey and Palladium on this book :D

-Lenwen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:56 pm

Hero

Shadows of Luclin is an EverQuest expansion.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:06 pm

Palladin

Bah I ment Shadows of LIGHT :-? .. haha my apologies . peeps . but yet I still LOVE that book :D I have a roomie that plays that everquest game prolly why I accidentally said that one haha again my apologies .

-Lenwen.

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:30 am

Champion

Kevin wrote:
[We may reprint the book at some point in the future (as in years in the future) or we may offer it as a PDF next year for a reasonable fee (we may be offering a number of our out of print books as PDF files in the year to come).

Any update on this? If the first print took that long to sell out, PDF would be the way to go and it's been more than a year since you posted this.

It would take few man-hours to get the book into PDF format, then all sales of it is pure profit after you sell the few copies needed to cover the conversion cost.

You already have the finished copy of the book, rather than let it sit in storage somewhere not making money, you might as well put it out in PDF and make money.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:04 pm

Adventurer

It may have just been me, but I felt that there were a lot of things in SOL that not only didn't fit in with the overall RPG.

Fallen Guardians.. (The ultimate good guys just going bad..Lame)

The Gregorians who can apparently sense nightbane even though they aren't actually nightbane. (Which is odd in of itself but even more odd is that they can't mirrorwalk.. So not a whole lot of point having a creature that's almost a bane, but doesn't have the vital tools to combat the minions of the Nightlords.)

Vampires seducing minions of the Nightlords.. (Aren't these two fractions in direct competition withone another? They should be fighting over food not, having lame relationships.)

The whole thing just didn't seem to fit the setting.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:38 pm

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:
It may have just been me, but I felt that there were a lot of things in SOL that not only didn't fit in with the overall RPG.

Fallen Guardians.. (The ultimate good guys just going bad..Lame)

The Gregorians who can apparently sense nightbane even though they aren't actually nightbane. (Which is odd in of itself but even more odd is that they can't mirrorwalk.. So not a whole lot of point having a creature that's almost a bane, but doesn't have the vital tools to combat the minions of the Nightlords.)

Vampires seducing minions of the Nightlords.. (Aren't these two fractions in direct competition withone another? They should be fighting over food not, having lame relationships.)

I'll pretty much agree with those opinions, as well as there having been way too many unneeded beasties thrown in. I have discussed this with others, and one good explanation I've heard is that it seemed as though he had an idea for his own setting and rather than make it he shoe-horned it into a Nightbane supplement. It would explain the drastic departure in tone.

I, for one, hope the new book goes back toward the original feel of the setting. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:56 pm

Knight

UR Leader Hobbes wrote:

actually ... that was one part I really liked.

:)

Last edited by janitor on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:00 pm

Adventurer

Comment: Dark Lord Evisceratix O'Kittensquisher
Misfit KotLD wrote:
UR Leader Hobbes wrote:

That's always been my take. There's some good stuff in it, just not for a Nightbane game.

Which is why I assume Kevin doesn't like the work.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:03 pm

Champion

ash_wednesday wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
UR Leader Hobbes wrote:

That's always been my take. There's some good stuff in it, just not for a Nightbane game.

Which is why I assume Kevin doesn't like the work.

I don't get that. If he didn't like it, why did it go to the printers at all? I'm guessing he thought it was great until the initial fan reactions started getting back to him combined with low sales.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:14 pm

Adventurer

From what I remember, Kevin did a lot of rework and editing on that book. He really needed to redo the whole book but didn't have the time to do it. He edit it enough just to make it barely workable from the game.

Or something like that.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Champion

ash_wednesday wrote:
He really needed to redo the whole book but didn't have the time to do it.

So shelve it until he has time. Palladium used to be more concerned about product quality, if it's really as bad as people say. I never saw it so can't judge for myself.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:27 pm

Adventurer

Probly couldn't shelve it since he had comitments and agreements to get to the printers. I guess he edited it as best as he could with the little time he had.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Palladin

ash_wednesday wrote:
Probly couldn't shelve it since he had comitments and agreements to get to the printers. I guess he edited it as best as he could with the little time he had.

I dont know about that ... From everything I've seen read an heard Kevin has the sole power to say yea or nae .. on virtually any product his company puts out at all .

I have a copy of SoL an I like alot of whats in the book itself . I use some of it time to time . Just not in the Nightbane dimension but rather in Rifts Earth setting heh .

-Lenwen.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:02 pm

Lenwen wrote:
ash_wednesday wrote:

I dont know about that ... From everything I've seen read an heard Kevin has the sole power to say yea or nae .. on virtually any product his company puts out at all .

I have a copy of SoL an I like alot of whats in the book itself . I use some of it time to time . Just not in the Nightbane dimension but rather in Rifts Earth setting heh .

You've got that right for the most part Lenwen. Of course, there is still a pretty good explanation for the plight of SoL. Almost any writer (myself included) can tell you that they've written something in their career (typically early) that they thought was as awesome as it gets. Then, they step away for a while and work on other things.

Before long, a year or more goes by and they happen to stumble across the piece while re-arranging papers or cleaning off a hard drive. Once they shake the dust of and read it... it's CRAP! They find themselves thinking "What was I on when I wrote this garbage?" :shock:

In Kevin's case, he has admitted to not being the best one to wrap his head around the Nightbane setting for various reasons (one of which is that it isn't a setting that he created). So, it could have easily been the case that he got a manuscript that wasn't nearly up to par and did his best to put together something that the fans would like only to have it fall flat on its face in the marketplace. Of course, I'd say that with the overall quality of stuff that Palladium produces, they're entitled to a stinkbomb every great now and again. :lol:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:10 am

Adventurer

Warwolf wrote:
Of course, I'd say that with the overall quality of stuff that Palladium produces, they're entitled to a stinkbomb every great now and again. :lol:

aw, it's not that bad, as a matter of fact, I dont consider it a bad book at all. the others in the series were better, yeah, but still, there were a lot of nice ideas in it.

maybe the book would have even worked better without KS who "has admitted to not being the best one to wrap his head around the Nightbane setting for various reasons" fumbling around with it.
:-?

"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:13 pm

Champion

Vidynn wrote:
maybe the book would have even worked better without KS who "has admitted to not being the best one to wrap his head around the Nightbane setting for various reasons" fumbling around with it.

Sometimes I wonder (but hope it doesn't really happen because then Palladium might go under) how many great manuscripts Kevin is sitting on that might never see print until Kevin were to retire or die...

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Vidynn wrote:

I've been privy to a couple of issues with the original manuscript. Believe me, it wasn't Kevin's doing...

As far as whether or not the book was good, that is obviously a matter of opinion. I was just offering my semi-professional one on the issue. :)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:28 am

Knight

Location: Using Shini's bake goods to take over the freelancers minds!!
Comment: Goodbye Cruel world.... Wait, I'm back.
Warwolf wrote:
Vidynn wrote:

I've been privy to a couple of issues with the original manuscript. Believe me, it wasn't Kevin's doing...

As far as whether or not the book was good, that is obviously a matter of opinion. I was just offering my semi-professional one on the issue. :)

I like the setting it's original to say the least (Despite comments to the contrary) Shadows had some good points and other points that kind of missed with the setting a little too much. IMO it was a good read but I can understand why it got pulled, I just hope I new book takes it's place. (SOON!) :P

"I have a technique of my own to counter you lot! It's called 'radio comlink' SUMMON NINJABUNNY STEALTH GUNSHIP SQUADRON!"

I am a customer First and a Fan second.
Killer Cyborg wrote:
"The party IS over if Ninjabunny's not there."

Member of the Cabal of 24.

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:46 am

Adventurer

Nightbane would be my favorite rpg setting of all time. I know that if there is any book that I would buy from Palladium it would be another Nightbane book. I own all of them though... and I've bought quite a few of your other titles but Nightbane is the only one that I'm still interested in running. It's the only setting out there that I can't say that someone else is doing a better job. WoD doesn't hold a candle to the flavor of Nightbane.

It would be nice if someone could bring the story of Nightbane forward... I personally liked what Jason Vey did.

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:53 am

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: Golden God
Specter, check the press releases and such. There is one in production. I do wish we'd get more titular than "Nightbane Sourcebook" though.

The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:59 am

Supreme Being

Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.
How does Nightbane Sourcebook #5 strike you Misfit?

Dead Boy wrote:
All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.