Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Unread postPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:04 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Comment: Golden God
Jefffar wrote:
How does Nightbane Sourcebook #5 strike you Misfit?

Craptacularly. :P

The Home of the Munchkin Fairy
t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:38 am

Adventurer

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Specter, check the press releases and such. There is one in production. I do wish we'd get more titular than "Nightbane Sourcebook" though.

There were rumors of such a book last time I was on here... a while ago.

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:27 am

Rifter® Contributer

Did those rumors include mention in press releases?

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:29 am

Champion

Specter wrote:

How long ago was that? It might have been when Shadows of Light was still getting worked on.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:28 pm

Adventurer

I own Shadows of Light... owned if before I left. So, probably not.

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:46 am

Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.
Specter wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Specter, check the press releases and such. There is one in production. I do wish we'd get more titular than "Nightbane Sourcebook" though.

How's this for a "rumor," The Nightbane Survival Guide will be the next manuscript Kev goes over for the purposes of evaluation for print. That means that other than products that are currently in production (such as Dyval and Dead Reign) this book is next in line. That's effectively the word from Kev himself as per our conversation the week before last. He's shooting for the first quarter of '09 if not earlier for its release. The reason for its long delay? Same as everything else, the logjam with Dyval and Project X has prevented Kevin from taking a look at it. So keep your fingers crossed, folks. :)

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:53 am

Rifter® Contributer

Warwolf wrote:
Specter wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

How's this for a "rumor," The Nightbane Survival Guide will be the next manuscript Kev goes over for the purposes of evaluation for print. That means that other than products that are currently in production (such as Dyval and Dead Reign) this book is next in line. That's effectively the word from Kev himself as per our conversation the week before last. He's shooting for the first quarter of '09 if not earlier for its release. The reason for its long delay? Same as everything else, the logjam with Dyval and Project X has prevented Kevin from taking a look at it. So keep your fingers crossed, folks. :)

And much improved over "Nightbane Sourcebook." :P

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:49 pm

Adventurer

Well, if they do put out another nightbane book... I'll just have to buy it. Unless it's a bunch of reprints of stuff in other books. That's bothersome.

Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:51 pm

Champion

I'd be surprised if there is a lot of reprints. There's too much untouched potential in this setting to bother with reprints.

It takes a game getting good and bloated like Rifts before you can really justify reprinting something because not everyone will own the old book and the material is relevant to the new one, etc.

"But you can't make an omelet without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others." -Order of the Stick #760

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:42 am

I don't know what all is going to get cut, but I can tell you there is a large amount of new material.

Yes, I've seen the manuscript.

How?

I'm half of the team that wrote it.

Now, before I get an influx of PMs asking about the book, I need people to remember something. It is still an unreviewed manuscript at this point, which means anything that is currently in it is up in the air. So, I can't be definitive or talk too much about what I and my writing partner put in there, but I can at least tell you that we are trying to take Nightbane "back to its roots" so to speak.

Now that the cat is fully out of the bag, I want to apologize for being elusive and dropping hints about the new book. I didn't want to get your guys' and gals' hopes up too much about a book that may or may not have seen the light of day (but at the same time I wanted to keep some buzz going about the potential for new stuff). After Kev started mentioning to people at GenCon that I was part of the writing team tackling Nightbane, I figured it is a pretty safe bet that he plans on putting out our book. So, it definitely looks like we'll have some new material by early next year (if not sooner). But we all know that things can happen in the meantime, so don't send me hate-mail if it's release is pushed back further, okay? :?

Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:01 pm

Adventurer

Vicious talents, and more nightland creatures?

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:29 pm

Specter wrote:
Vicious talents, and more nightland creatures?

Well, I can't say for certain. Some new talents were included in the manuscript (but might be cut), but no Nightlands creatures were (but might be added... though I doubt it).

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:31 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Warwolf wrote:
...so don't send me hate-mail if it's release is pushed back further, okay? :?

What are valid reasons for sending you hate mail? :P

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:39 pm

Misfit KotLD wrote:

This is supposed to be a relatively family-friendly board... so I can't even begin to list them. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:54 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Warwolf wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:

This is supposed to be a relatively family-friendly board... so I can't even begin to list them. :lol:

Just checking.

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Wanderer

Hey, just to clarify a few things...

I'm not looking to re-open old wounds, particularly as Kevin and I buried the hatchet a long time ago, but suffice it to say very little of what has been speculated here is accurate.

All that being said, some of it is true: Shadows of Light was not as good as it should've been, and that's partially my fault and partially Palladium's. We're both responsible on that end.

Again, I'm not getting into details because that would be crass, uncouth, and just really unnecessary...but the speculation isn't getting anywhere, either. I will say from my end the book was never revised or rewritten. I turned in my first draft, and it went to edit, which wasn't how I am used to working; I assumed I'd give them the draft, I'd get notes, and I'd do rewrites. So the writing is probably some of the worst I've done and had make it to print. And while I am fond of the book, I'm a bit embarrassed at the quality of the work. That's my fault because I should've been more clear with Kevin about the process at Palladium.

And no, I didn't have my own setting that I shoehorned into Nightbane.

There was not any rewriting done on Kevin's part, though; just a lot of shuffling and cutting. The most extensive alteration he did so far as the text that made it into the final book was changing the Collector into a full OCC where I had written it as a new skill package for the Nightbane.

Fan reactions weren't overall poor...indeed, most of the reviews it got were quite positive. But yes, there were mixed opinions. I could theorize the reasons, but really, why bother? It wasn't my best work, and that's what matters the most.

If I had it all to do over again...you get the idea. It'd be a different book, and I may still be working with Palladium. But Kevin, Wayne, and Maryann gave me the first foot in the door that got me working regularly in the industry, and since then I've done work for Eden Studios and Misfit Studios and have stuff in the works for Iron Crown and Troll Lord Games, a deal for some work with Seraphim Guard, as well as working towards my own publishing company, and it all started with the Rifter #16 and Shadows of Light. For that I'll always be grateful.

On a happier topic, I'm glad to see there's a new book in the works. Hope it does well; Nightbane deserves support.

-Rpg.net post re: Conan/Blue Rose crossover

Unread postPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:43 am

Thanks for offering your perspective and additional insight on the matter, Jason. And from one of the new writers, thanks for sticking your neck out there to help keep Nightbane going (all debate of the quality of that effort aside). I can only hope that the new book leads to a number of new supplements for the line and a re-invigorated fanbase, because you're right that it needs more support. :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Thought Id resurface to look for one of my favorite books, only to find its been cancelled. *sigh* Same old complaints: Cant keep a line alive, but putting out new ones; focus on one to the exclusion of most all else and wonder why we the fans move on. pity, guess I'll leave again.

"What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous ****** in the jungle."

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:09 pm

OLD ONE

Comment: PROUDLY Not a member of the "Cabal of 24"
Dave the dragon wrote:
Thought Id resurface to look for one of my favorite books, only to find its been cancelled. *sigh* Same old complaints: Cant keep a line alive, but putting out new ones; focus on one to the exclusion of most all else and wonder why we the fans move on. pity, guess I'll leave again.

You realize, that the book "Shadows of Light" has been out of print for a couple of years now right? :D

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
Palladium Books 2015 Robotech RPG Tactics Tournament Rules

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Dave the dragon wrote:

You realize, that the book "Shadows of Light" has been out of print for a couple of years now right? :D

Which should show how rarely I bother to come anymore. Ive voiced my complaints in another thread, though. When the new book comes out (if it ever does) I'll look, but probably not buy. I had hoped that the "Shadows of Light" was representing a new direction, and a very interesting one. Hopefully, some of it will be returned in one form or another. Im sorry Mr Vey had some bad luck, and hope he will try other things for PB. His is a talent that could serve very well in the future.

"What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous ****** in the jungle."

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:
Dave the dragon wrote:

Not to mention that whole Nightbane Sourcebook Five.

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:09 pm

Dungeon Crawler

It probably got bumped for "Dead Reign" or whatever the new line is. :( More books no one in my area will even open, yet the few well recieved lines wither away. :(

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:19 am

Dungeon Crawler

Comment: I know I am going to hell, thats why I bought marshmellows.
Well I am very glad this is getting back in print. I LOVE the Nightbane and BTS world. It's just so very rare to find a group that plays them anymore. No real new material for nightbane, and well.. it just takes a different type of group to play it. Especially bts...

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:54 pm

Dungeon Crawler

welcome to the boards, Karsus

Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:46 pm

Champion

Karsus wrote:
Well I am very glad this is getting back in print.

I must have missed that press release.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Knight

Comment: I like magic.
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Tyciol wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nerdbane wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:
Personally, I'd rather see Nightbane stay outside the whole Minion Wars deal. It was pretty much conceived from the beginning to be its own standalone universe and too much crossover kind of dilutes it.

I agree that Nightbane works best the less diluted it is. Having said that, I've already made peace with the 4-way power struggle in the Dark Day universe, between Nightbane, Nightlords, vampires, and demons (with humans either caught in the middle or taking up sides, depending on your campaign).

Uh...wait, how is this differnt. that IS the currnet power struggle as already laied out in the books :P
Why are the humans, sorcerers, guardians, athanatos and reapers being left out?

Compartivly minor. it's like asking why a villiage militia on the boarder has no overall bearing on a big war.

Couldn't you say the same thing about vampires, who got a main book feature?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:10 am

LostOne wrote:
Karsus wrote:
Well I am very glad this is getting back in print.

I must have missed that press release.

Just to clarify, I think he may have been referring to the new material. As far as I know SoL is NOT coming back into print any time soon.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:53 am

Dungeon Crawler

any word of this new book?

Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:55 am

Rifter® Contributer

Aten didn't write it, so it won't be in crayon. :D

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:29 am

Dave the dragon wrote:
any word of this new book?

What do you want to know? Other than the fact it is mentioned again in the latest press release as slated for this year.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:26 am

Knight

we can all hope

Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Citizen Lazlo wrote:
we can all hope

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/press/press2009-01b.html

Well, we're one step closer. It's time to put your money where your mouth is, folks. Pre-order your copy of the Nightbane Survival Guide now! Show Kev and company that you want more Nightbane! :D

Unread postPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:17 pm

Adventurer

maybe a new and sticky thread for the Nightbane Survival Guide would be better than filling pages in this one, which is supposed to be about SoL.

"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.

Unread postPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I am pre ordering to check it out. I really hope this game picks back up, it's truely one of my favorite ones and it saddens me to see how far it's fallen and unplayed.

Unread postPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:13 pm

Karsus wrote:
I am pre ordering to check it out. I really hope this game picks back up...

Thanks for the vote of confidence. If my colleagues and I have anything to say about it, there will be at least semi-regular support for this line for the forseeable future (I'm already working on another book). :)

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:14 pm

D-Bee

Would anyone happen to have a copy of Shadows of Light that they would be willing to part with? Nightbane is my FAVORITE Palladium game and I have been trying to get ahold of a copy of SoL for the last couple of years. There was one for sale a couple of months ago in my price range, but I didn't have the money then and when I went to look when funds became available, it was gone.
So, please, if anyone has a copy they are willing to part with, let me know.
Thanks.

DS

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:08 am

Dungeon Crawler

A sign I guess:

I was in a comic store going through a bunch of clearance boxes of palladium books. They had all the usual clearance items for palladium like Juicer uprising, atlantis, etc. Well, they had a nightbane basebook book for $3 that I quickly snatched when I came across an original shadows of light for $2 from a comic store. After quickly giving the guy the first $2 I could come up with out of my pocket, I said. "You know this book has been out of print for a long time right? It was prolly worth more than $2." He replied "Palladium books almost never sell, I will be lucky to get anything for the rest of those." Long story short, I got the whole box for $25!

Thats good for me, but it's bad for palladium. I hope it picks up for them.

SoL for $2!! Guess I got something new to read for my lunch break :p

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:27 am

Champion

Karsus wrote:
SoL for $2!!

I hate you...I mean, congratulations!

Karsus wrote:
He replied "Palladium books almost never sell, I will be lucky to get anything for the rest of those."

All that means is that there isn't a Palladium fan population in your area. Palladium was the biggest seller where I grew up, mostly because half the gamer population were friends of mine and we only played Palladium at that point in time. If there is a Palladium group or two in the area, it'll sell much better. Otherwise the only Palladium sales are likely to people looking for a new game to try or that were just browsing and liked the artwork or something.

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:04 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Ya, what they NEED to do is start... erm UP their advertising. I have been playing palladium games since 1991 and now that I think about it. I have never in my life seen an add for a palladium book. Except in other palladium books...

Unread postPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:12 pm

Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.
Karsus wrote:
Ya, what they NEED to do is start... erm UP their advertising. I have been playing palladium games since 1991 and now that I think about it. I have never in my life seen an add for a palladium book. Except in other palladium books...

Comic books. Dragon in the TSR days.

The Truth About Ogres: Posted 2019.09.04
All Palladium Articles

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:28 am

Rifter® Contributer

Mark Hall wrote:
Karsus wrote:

Wow, that coincides with his 1991 date too. :mrgreen:

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:24 pm

D-Bee

I could have sworn I heard speculation that much of the text from Shadows of Light was copied from old Blade comics and Anne Rice books.

I'll have to check out my cousin's copy next time I go to his house.

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:29 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Kankuri wrote:
I could have sworn I heard speculation that much of the text from Shadows of Light was copied from old Blade comics and Anne Rice books.

Check on that, i don't remember ever hearing that and my perusals of the book didn't bear that out either. Admittedly, I don't read Blade nor have I read Ann Rice in years.

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:33 pm

D-Bee

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Kankuri wrote:

Check on that, i don't remember ever hearing that and my perusals of the book didn't bear that out either. Admittedly, I don't read Blade nor have I read Ann Rice in years.

Its one of the reasons my cousin doesn't look at it anymore. He keeps the copy because its "never going to be printed again." I happen to be a huge Anne Rice fan, and I have read around 60% of the Blade comics printed(and it's variants), so we'll see.

I am a HUGE Nightbane fan, so something like this could make me a little sad =(

Unread postPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:31 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Let us know what you come up with. I found the material original enough, it was the prevalence and flavor of the Anthatos I wasn't into.

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Misfit KotLD wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Karsus wrote:

hehe wow. 18 years. ONE other source... lol

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Rifter® Contributer

Karsus wrote:
Misfit KotLD wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:
Karsus wrote:

hehe wow. 18 years. ONE other source... lol
One? Dragon magazine and comic books constitute one source?

t'irkm yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb
'ark yd 'il kym
wyd 'il kmdb

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:36 pm

Knight

Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
Kankuri wrote:
Its one of the reasons my cousin doesn't look at it anymore. He keeps the copy because its "never going to be printed again." I happen to be a huge Anne Rice fan, and I have read around 60% of the Blade comics printed(and it's variants), so we'll see.

I am a HUGE Nightbane fan, so something like this could make me a little sad =(

I don't know anything in Blade or in any of the Rice books I've read through the years that really would fit with that. The standard NB vamps don't fit in either genre really, the new ones in SoL don't. The new psi-classes may be similar to something in a Blade comic, but I don't know of anything that would be just like them, and I don't know of anything in either book that really fits with the Athanatos.

Daniel Stoker

Unread postPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:56 pm

Adventurer

Kankuri wrote:

aww, c'mon on.

"My own big mouth causes me trouble too. You see, people are always asking me what 'I want' to do next or have planned for the future. Like an idiot, I blather on about some idea I've been kicking around or I'm dying to do."

- From the desk of Kevin Siembieda, The Rifter 12.

Unread postPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:39 am

Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points
For those who missed it the book is available again as a PDF from DriveThruRPG.

Nightbane World Book 4: Shadows of Light

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection