Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:07 pm

Knight

Tell Me what Magic O.C.C ic the Best in Nightbane?

What are ther best Special abilities?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:56 am

Supreme Being

Nightbane Sorcerer.

Best powers: Being a Nightbane and a Sorcerer in one. :D

Second favorite would be the Astral Mage.

Best powers: Being a Sorcerer and a lesser Astral Lord in one :fool:

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Last edited by Tinker Dragoon on Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:43 pm

Knight

Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.
Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Nightbane Sorcerer.

Concure

"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:20 pm

Monk

That is only if you're playing a NB char...if a human char, then what? a Sorcerer?

I would like to play a Mirror Mage with the mirror manipulation power in PU1. (in addition to the powers listed in the OCC).

Or to be a shadow warlock.

The Cybermage and Flesh sculpter mage type are a bit too much inherently evil (or just plane mean) for my taistes.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:53 am

Champion

Bah, the Cybermage and Fleshsculptor were the pick of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. They get a bit shortchanged thanks to a combination of clunky rules and not being combat-oriented (not being combat-oriented is a virtual death sentence when you're using the Palladium system) but they are without a doubt two of the most atmospheric magic-using OCCs in any Palladium game.

Rallan

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:07 pm

Knight

Comment: I like magic.
Mirror Mage or Fleshscultptor. Cybermages are really awesome, but there's really no way to use those high level spells. I think we should use powers of 2, not 10.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:34 pm

D-Bee

Location: The Future Site of Tolkeen, Minneapolis, MN oh yeah!
Ben Quash wrote:

The Cybermage and Flesh sculpter mage type are a bit too much inherently evil (or just plane mean) for my taistes.

In my games good Fleshsculptors are as common as the evil ones, they make awesome street doctors and the best surgons around.

I think that Fleshscluptors are my favorite Nightbane spell caster.

Astral Mages also rule.

~Jace

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:24 am

Hero

I realy like the cyber mage, but the costs for high level spells is friggin rediculous. Astral Lords are the bomb diggity!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:26 am

Knight

Nightspawn/bane Sorcerer

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 3:35 am

Adventurer

I don't like having bane sourcerers just because they are over the top powerful.

You could call that being the best I suppose....

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:44 am

D-Bee

Call be silly, but I've always liked the Sorcerer O.C.C. Toss in some of the rules and sorcerous proficiencies from TTGD, and that's a great character to play.

A would call the Channeler the first runner up. Just because there's so many different ways you can take that one, and its always good for a plot swing during a campaign.

I've always thought Nightbane had the best feel for magic over other Palladium games, especially after TTGD. The idea of living magic, plus the sheer depth of game play you can get into if you want to add in some real world history for campaign plots, gives it the most bang for your buck. Never played Beyond the Supernatural, but given some games where you can throw a rock in any direction and have it hit three mages before it hits the ground <cough> Rifts <cough> it's always been more fun to play a mage in Nightbane than any other game.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:41 pm

Adventurer

I like the Sorcerer as the best (most well-rounded,effective and just cool).
The Astral Mage intrigues me, but then the Astral Lord (Psychic) is what I want to play next in Nightbane. The connection to the Astral Plane is interesting as is the Domain Creation Power. The Astral Mage works best (in my own opinion) when paired with an Astral Lord. The next Man of Magic that holds my interest is Shadow Warlock. Access to Nightbane Talents is a real cool thing!!!!! 8) :ok: I,also, have seen Good Aligned Fleshsculpters-as-medics and they do work very well.

Thanks,
GaredBattlespike

-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:24 pm

I still think the Nightbane Sorceror is just the ultimate in terms of magical power. Spellcasting + Nightbane Talents + whatever abilities and bonuses come with his/her Morphus form = lots of power. Fleshsculpting and Cybermages are interesting, but I haven't had a whole lot of experience with them yet, and I think Nightbane are still just darn cool.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:15 am

Explorer

How abou thr Temporal Raider or Temporal Wizard who just popped in from the Riftiverse to cause trouble?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:47 pm

Knight

Comment: I like magic.
Gwa.... go to the rifts board.

Astral Mages I'd forgotten they're very cool, Astral Lords are a psychic class, they shouldn't be part of this.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:32 pm

gwa1965 wrote:
How abou thr Temporal Raider or Temporal Wizard who just popped in from the Riftiverse to cause trouble?

We're talking straight from the Nightbane books only.

For just villainous evil as a NPC, I like the Cybermage. Nothing quite like a bad guy who can take the player characters' best friend/significant other and turn them into Frankenstein's Monster. :demon:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:52 am

Champion

First favorite Astral Mage
Second: bane sorcerer
I have a 5th level true atlantean astral mage that rocks

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:40 am

Rifter® Contributer

I have a certain fondness for the Arcane Detective from Between the Shadows. Although its basically the Sorcerer with investigative skills, I just like the idea. The character has a very pulp feel.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:04 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I like the Nightbane Mystic ... but if there was a Nightbane Astral Mageor Nightbane Channeler, I'd REALLY love that!

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:28 pm

Hero

Holy crap, talk about resurrecting a dead thread...

Anyway, my favorite would be a NB Sorcerer, for reasons already stated, but if I had to be a human caster, I'd like to play a Shadow Warlock. It'd be cool to have access to some of the shadow spells from PFRPG's Library of Bletherad, too.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:34 pm

Dungeon Crawler

I'm just exploring the boards Pre-Gallaher.

Unread postPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:02 pm

Knight

I also like Arcane Detective.

I hope ther will be New O.c.c and P.c.c in Rifter.
Maybe something that cover Cities not cover in Nightlands.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Dungeon Crawler

Nightbane Talentshaper -- not quite a sorceror but awesome and fun! It's in one of the Rifters.

Post subject: Re:
Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:56 pm

Monk

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Nightbane Sorcerer.

Second favorite would be the Astral Mage.

Best powers: Being a Sorcerer and a lesser Astral Lord in one :fool:

:lol:
I can't disagree with these. :D

Mostly I write out exactly what I mean, then sometimes get even more finicky.

My Artwork

Unread postPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:01 pm

Palladin

Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
Witchcraft wrote:
Nightbane Talentshaper -- not quite a sorceror but awesome and fun! It's in one of the Rifters.

I searched viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77496 but 'Talentshaper' wasn't in the summaries, anyone know which one?

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:48 am

Palladin

Talk about an old thread.

For myself Fleshsculpter is a favorite (can't really call a Nightbane Sorcerer a magic OCC btw, they're a race/class combination), they've some very nice magic and quite unique and given the setting someone who can repair the damage caused by the kinds of monsters you fight is a must. Helps though having a Nightbane or two around who can contribute PPE given the high costs for their best magicks. Astral Lord would be a fave but too much a pain having to deal with how to allocate PPE between the Domain you have to use and have PPE left over for spells.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Unread postPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:37 am

Knight

What Nightban,s Magic O.c.c do you want to get New spells?

I hope New Spells for Nightbane,s Magic O.C.C will be in Rifter?

Unread postPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:21 am

Palladin

Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.
Sometimes I wonder, if a Shadow Warlock used Borrow Morphus, if he would only get the raw bonuses or if he would get the inherent things a morphus bestows like healing factor and stuff.

Unread postPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:02 pm

Hero

Personally, I always felt that the Nightbane Sorcerer was a little too powerful since there was litterally no downside to them splitting their attention between their mystic studies and developing their talents. True, they have to be careful how many talents they buy so they have enough PPE to use both, but shouldn't splitting one's attention between the two mean they are not quite as good as those who focus one one or the other (and gives players a reason to choose one of the other options)? I mean, why would a player choose to play a mere Sorcerer or a mere Nightbane when he can play a Nightbane Sorcerer and get the benifits of both with zero drawbacks?

Thus in the games I run, I reduce their starting number of spells from 12 to 8 (2 from spell levels 1 to 4). I justify this by the fact that they had to take some time out from their study of magic to hone their natural Talents... and it gives plain Sorcerers a little more versitility as they get more spells to start with. I've found that most players like this because it give those who play just ordinary Sorcerers and Nightbane a unique niech (sp?) where they excell at, but allows the Nightbane Sorcerer to fill the role too... just not quite as well.

The Nightbane Mystic is fairly balanced since the talents he develops replace the psionics the normal mystic would have.

As for the Nightbane Talentshaper... I think this needs to be made an official option (Rifter 44, pg 44).

Unread postPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:02 am

Wanderer

Astral Mage. Building your own astral realm is the bomb.

Sir Orin Neville Smythe: Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell -- The Flight of the Dragons

Unread postPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:06 pm

Palladin

Razorwing wrote:
always felt that the Nightbane Sorcerer was a little too powerful since there was litterally no downside to them splitting their attention between their mystic studies and developing their talents.
You mean besides not getting the free talents all Nightbane (or Mystics, in lieu of psionics) get?

Razorwing wrote:
True, they have to be careful how many talents they buy so they have enough PPE to use both, but shouldn't splitting one's attention between the two mean they are not quite as good as those who focus one one or the other (and gives players a reason to choose one of the other options)?
Lacking the PPE to power it kind of does make you less useful with it.

Razorwing wrote:
why would a player choose to play a mere Sorcerer or a mere Nightbane when he can play a Nightbane Sorcerer and get the benifits of both with zero drawbacks?
Well, ignoring the lower experience table and the usual issue with racial controversy (why play a human mage if you can play a dragon mage?) Nightbane Sorcerers compared to Human Sorcerers stand out to other Nightbane and those who can detect them (there are spells aimed at this). Nightbane Sorcerers compared to normal Nightbane stand out because they have magical abilities much like any mage would to a Psi-Stalker. So in both respects, they become more detectable than either group on their own.

Razorwing wrote:
in the games I run, I reduce their starting number of spells from 12 to 8 (2 from spell levels 1 to 4).
I fail to see how reducing starting spells for a SORCERER is any real handicap, since they can just go buy them. If you really want to penalize them I'd reduce their spell strength or make them pay more PPE for talents and/or spells.

Razorwing wrote:
I justify this by the fact that they had to take some time out from their study of magic to hone their natural Talents...
By this I expect you mean the 1 talent everyone gets for free at level 1?

Razorwing wrote:
The Nightbane Mystic is fairly balanced since the talents he develops replace the psionics the normal mystic would have.
It's hardly an equal tradeoff, and that doesn't weigh in on how they compare to plain Nightbane.

Unread postPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:15 pm

Wanderer

Yeah, it does kinda rub me the wrong way that the Sorcerer is just so much weaker than a Nightbane Sorcerer. 1d6x10 PPE base vs 3d6X10+20. 2d6 per level vs 2d6+6.
All the innate bonuses and attributes.

BUT the XP tables balance things out in the end. I do think they should be the curve should be a bit steep for the NB Sorcerer and/or flatter for the Sorcerer.

Think I'll try a Shadow Warlock and some PCC. Get psionics, magic AND talents. :)

Mal

Unread postPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:59 am

Palladin

Malleable wrote:
I'll try a Shadow Warlock and some PCC. Get psionics, magic AND talents.
*eyes Drew warily*

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.