Board index » SDC Worlds » Nightbane®

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:16 am

Explorer

I was wondering do or would you allow super powers in your nightbane games? A player of mine asked me this, saying that the dark day caused "unnatural" energies to be released into the world which caused his characters mutation. What do you think of this?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:44 pm

Champion

Would I?

Probably, yes...

The question to ask is do YOU want them in the game? YOU are the GM, and YOU determine what is in the world.

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:52 pm

Knight

Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
I ran a Nightbane/HU2 game before and had a lot of fun with it, but you have to decide in advance to do it. If you don't think super powers are going to fit into your game you shouldn't be obligated to include it. It's not like you're arguing if he should be able to play a nightbane mystic or not, this is stuff from a completly different game.

Daniel Stoker

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:34 am

Hero

If you were to introduce such abilites, I would recommend finding a way to tie said superpowers into the war between Light and Dark, of which the war against the Nightlords is only the latest incarnation. Perhaps the Dark grants bizarre powers to those it finds useful to its cause-- even if they think they are actually fighting it?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:01 am

D-Bee

I did a Nightbane/HU/Ninjas & Superspies crossover game, and it turned out very interestingly.

I had one player (out of 3) who chose to go the super heroic route, essentially as Supergirl (her Supernatural PS came to 63, she had Invulnerability, Sonic Flight, AND Bio-Armor [the Rifter version]) and then got nickel & dimed on damage everytime she met up with Hounds or Hunters.

The player was furious at me for giving not giving his char. a means of regenerating damage.

I figured I was doing something right since she was a walking, flying tank otherwise.

Other things that came up: another PC started a fan website for "Supergirl," the crew heard about an assassination attempt on the mayor's (he was a doppelganger) life and decided that they had to protect him since other sources suggested that NSB agents would be sent in and declare martial law (almost wrote "declare martial arts").

Since then, I've decided to go in some different directions with my Nightspawn game that ridiculous board rules disapprove of me mentioning.

Going to war over religion is basically killing each other to see who has the better imaginary friend. - Richard Jeni

Playing: Ironwood
Running - WitchCraft

Post subject: thanks
Unread postPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:59 am

Explorer

I decided to let in super-power type character in the game they worked out OK, being that I didn't allow any character that was more powerfull than a Nightbane.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:25 am

Explorer

Take away Dark Day, the Nightloards, and the facade, and you've got WildCards...which ain't to say that's neccessaryly a bad thing

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 2:49 am

Explorer

What? Did I kill this thread?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:36 am

Invisible Pink Unicorn

PhishStyx wrote:
I had one player (out of 3) who chose to go the super heroic route, essentially as Supergirl (her Supernatural PS came to 63, she had Invulnerability, Sonic Flight, AND Bio-Armor [the Rifter version]) and then got nickel & dimed on damage everytime she met up with Hounds or Hunters.
The player was furious at me for giving not giving his char. a means of regenerating damage.
I figured I was doing something right since she was a walking, flying tank otherwise.
How did she get a supernatural strength?

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:14 am

Knight

Comment: I like magic.
Invulnerability provides superhuman PS, which in MDC settings becomes supernatural. This is an SDC setting though, so I wouldn't know. Perhaps she was a mega-hero, they all have supernatural strength.

Post subject: Wild Cards... hmmm
Unread postPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 3:01 am

D-Bee

gwa1965 wrote:
Take away Dark Day, the Nightloards, and the facade, and you've got WildCards...which ain't to say that's neccessaryly a bad thing

With the supers as the aces and the banes as jokers? I dunno... a morphus form sure has a lot more advantages than most jokers... maybe if you blank the base att bonuses and only give them for form traits... interesting. Most of them only seemed to have one or two traits, of course, and unless you spotted something I didn't, Biomechanical seems to be Right Out.

Hey, how would you write up the way Angelface bruises as a stigmata? For a nightbane, of course, you'd have to take away the disadvantages like "probably dies if anyone hits her." (For those unfamiliar with Wild Cards or less obsessive about names and details than I, Angelface's blood vessels were so fragile that even the lightest physical contact caused a bruise.)

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:04 pm

Palladin

I use Nightbanes in my HUII campaign. The Nighlands continuity is plundered heavily for my plots, but I don't do everything exactly as per the books' plot.
It isn't too hard to keep balance: the bane is tough, but he better not jack with the Mind Melter (a player), the Dargon Immortal (another player), or the Asgardian (yet another player).

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:18 pm

D-Bee

I just had an disagreement with one of my players on this. I decided not to allow it because the other player would want super powers too, and I feel that a lot of super powers in my Nightbane game would through it off balance. But it might work for your game. Just remember that other player will want them too.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:05 pm

Supreme Being

bigwhitehound wrote:
I was wondering do or would you allow super powers in your nightbane games? A player of mine asked me this, saying that the dark day caused "unnatural" energies to be released into the world which caused his characters mutation. What do you think of this?

Sure.

In keeping with the pseudo-religious themes in Nightbane I had once tinkered around with a modified version of the Mystically Bestowed power category from Heroes Unlimited, which I dubbed the "Mighty Man of Legend" O.C.C., based on the notion that many of the demigods and warrior heroes of mythology (those that weren't actually Nightbane that is ;) ) were actually mortal men endowed with supernatural power by some mysterious force.

Every time I look at my computer I kick myself for never backing anything up... :badbad:

In any event, I think super powered characters can work well in Nightbane, but I would not allow characters to have as many powers as their HU counterparts. I'd probably limit characters to only one major power OR two to three minor powers, and such characters would likely never have any magical or psionic powers.

and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Unread postPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:34 am

Invisible Pink Unicorn

bigwhitehound wrote:

For an interseting twist you could say that they do, but he has to get on the bus to hell. The one they mention in TTGD-he has to get 30 peices of silver and a good intention (like"I'm going to get super powers to be a superhero!") to pay for the ride.
Then he makes adea with the devil (or something) that give him superpowers. AFter all Demons and stuff dont' like the nightlords(except the ones allied with Lilith) and would probably like a chance to get an innocent dupe to fight him for them(with out tracing him back to them they won't bother to retaliate against them).

That would keep most players from wanting superpowers.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:18 pm

Palladin

The only thing I would not do, is allow a super-powered Nightbane.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:03 pm

Champion

Nightbane can not be "Super Powered"...they already are! :D

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:28 pm

Palladin

Does that mean mutants and experiments can't become "awakened"? What about alien Nightbane?
Mega-hero Nightbane?
Immortal Godling Nightbane?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:39 pm

Supreme Being

Sentinel wrote:
Does that mean mutants and experiments can't become "awakened"? What about alien Nightbane?

A nigthbane's facade could look like a particular race of mutants or aliens, if it was born into a world or community where such beings are common, but it would still be a nightbane in every way, and would have only the powers and penalties of the Nightbane R.C.C.

Similarly, their racial immunities would make Nightbane Mutants or Experiments impossible.

Quote:
Mega-hero Nightbane?

Somewhat pointless, as the Mega template adds little to these powerhouses, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't actually be possible. Some rare and ancient Nightbane may very well be the equivalent of Mega Heroes. Heck, Moloch almost seems to be a Mega-Nightlord...

Quote:
Immortal Godling Nightbane?

Another partly redundant one. Nightbane are already immortal, and don't seem to have a specific religion or pantheon.

Hypothetically, it may however be possible for a Nightbane to somehow ascend to deific status.

That said, a Nightbane might make a good addition to the character types available from the Immortal Power Category in HU.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:11 pm

Invisible Pink Unicorn

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
Sentinel wrote:

A nigthbane's facade could look like a particular race of mutants or aliens, if it was born into a world or community where such beings are common, but it would still be a nightbane in every way, and would have only the powers and penalties of the Nightbane R.C.C.

Similarly, their racial immunities would make Nightbane Mutants or Experiments impossible.

Um,IIRC the original Rifts Conversion book one had mentioned that elves dwarves and so forth could be the morphus of a nightbane.
Dont' know if dark conversions say's that or not.

Or maybe it was a NB supplement that had that.
Stil trying to remember.....

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:55 pm

Supreme Being

The_Spirit wrote:
Um,IIRC the original Rifts Conversion book one had mentioned that elves dwarves and so forth could be the morphus of a nightbane.
Dont' know if dark conversions say's that or not.

Or maybe it was a NB supplement that had that.
Stil trying to remember.....

It was Between the Shadows, in the expanded conversion notes. To wit, a Nightbane's facade could appear to be an elf, dwarf, atlantean, or just about any being with under 250 M.D.C. (at least I think that was the cutoff...), and had the attribute scores of that race, but none of the powers or abilities, having instead the standard Nightbane facade abilities of "the Becoming," nightvision, sense other nightbane, and immunity to mind control and transformation.

Now of course, if one follows the logic that the Wampyr are latent Nightbane whose not-yet-developed immunity to transformation and mind control gives them some resistance to being fully transfigured by a Vampire's bite, one could argue that mutants or experiments could also be latent Nightbane at times.

However, while such beings may be superhuman they will never undergo the Awakening and become true Nightbane. At best, such characters' latent Nightbane powers would be the "X factor" that catalyzes a mutation or experiment.

Personally I'd recommend taking the Rifts Conversion Book route and just have one distinct "Superbeing" class that has HU-style super powers, and ignore the HU power categories entirely, unless doing a full blown crossover campaign.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:33 am

Palladin

One thought that I had on this was to be certain not to allow any powered characters to overshadow others, nor allow too much cross-over.
In order to make certain magics and Nightbane talents more rare and unique, I would dis-allow any HUII Super power that too heavily duplicated such.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:55 am

Hero

the correct cut off was under 100 sdc
so trolls, minotaurs , are ok... ( assuming you don't use Rifts trolls and minotaurs which now make them minor MDC beings with 6d6 + mdc. . )

A player, bribed with pizza, willing to sacrifice his character.
All these must be, and the Lord shall fall.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:56 pm

D-Bee

This may just be me, but I really feel that Nightbane and HU characters are perfectly interchangable with each others setting. The main reason for this is that Nightbane specifically run the gamut from low level mutant to Mega Hero on their own.

Seriously, if you compare the average super powered mutant (which I consider 1 Major / 3 Minors) and the average Nightbane (2-4 rolls on generation table), you wind up with characters that are amazingly similar in overall capability. The only difference is that HU characters are generally more specialized and simply CAN'T waste Hounds and Hunters like 'Banes can.

Largely, I say it depends partly on your players ability to handle the situations, and your thoughts on whether or not you want it in your game.

But game balance wise? Heck-I played a PF character in the Nightbane setting, fighting off the Lords with sword and spell... And because all the gear that character had was MAGIC, and he was a PF highly skilled wizard, he rocked. But the catch 22 was that he was fragile compared to the NB in the group.

It all evens out somewhere in the mix.

Post subject:
Unread postPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:11 pm

Palladin

In terms of level of power, it does all balance out fairly well. I have seen (and generated myself) several HUII characters who were perfectly capable of taking on Hounds and Hunters.
The real challenge is in keeping the story flowing, and keeping characters of such disparate backgrounds on the same track working towards the same goals as a team.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.