NightBane in Rifts

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Athalantar

NightBane in Rifts

Unread post by Athalantar »

Just a question that popped into my head today regarding Rifts and the 'Bane.

In the description for "The Becoming", it says that when the change is made, the clothes of the "Facade" vanish and re-appear when the 'Bane changes back.

Would this hold true if a 'Bane were in Rifts and wearing M.D.C. armor to protect his "Facade"? Would it vanish and reappear like ordinary clothes or would he have to remove it to chage form?

It seems to me to be a fair trade, since he is still changing from his normal S.D.C. form to "Morphus" like usual and the armor is simply a protective shell like a suit of clothes. I'm not sure if there is a rule governing this in the NightBane books (regarding the normal armor of S.D.C. worlds), so I'm tossing it out here in the hopes of getting a good, usable answer.

Athalantar
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

The clothes/armor may or may not disappear depending on what the GM and the player decide to be appropriate. It is entirely possible that the transformation process destroys the character's garments and body armor.

As a side note, it is my understanding from reading Dark Conversions that the Rifts universe has its own Nightlands, Nightbane, and attendant creatures which is entirely separate from, though roughly identical to, that of Nightbane Earth.
Athalantar

I was just reading through the Dark Conversions book the other day and it says that though dimensionally the worlds of NightBane Earth and Rifts Earth are separated by a great distance (unlike BTS Earth or Heroes Earth from Rifts Earth, which are supposed to be almost next door), it is possible for NightBane to pass into Rifts Earth, though it is a thousand-to-one chance of it happening (or some other astronomical number). See Dark Conversions, PP 119 and 120 for full details.

I think I need to re-read the sections in my NightBane books about this, but I think during The Becoming, what happens to the clothing (even if the clothing rips from the body) is just a "special effect" to emphasize the changing from one form to the other. If I remember right, (and I'll check) when you change back to Facade, all your clothing appears on you, unchanged, and I don't see why armor wouldn't do the same.

Athalantar
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

There are several posibilities about what happens to a Bane's clothes in Rifter 20.

Though most of the time it is assumed that the Bane's clothes ether change to fit the bane's morphius or dissapper or change into the clothes the bane's morph is wearing.

But what happens to their clothes is set when the char is created and can not be changed.
Athalantar

Thanks man. i don't have Rifter #20 so I wasn't sure. Haven't been able to keep up the subsciption over the years....

Athalantar
Silentsong

Unread post by Silentsong »

Nightbane Earth and Rifts Earth aren't so much far apart, as have some seriously heavy wards and almost solid borders keeping them from connecting. Mostly because Rifts Earth has weapons tech and magical items that would make life hell for them and their minions, and they don't want that.

Return to “Nightbane®”