Half-Nightbane ?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mike Taylor

Re: Half-Nightbane ?

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

Either you're a Nightbane or you aren't. They are a separate species from humans. They can not produce children with humans nor can they themselves reproduce.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Acording to a scoop from the writer, this was some time ago, Bane are really the dead spirets of the long dead formless ones come back to wreek revenge on the ones that killed them. Thus, they are nether able to reprduce amonge themselves nor with humans.

However, the way you own GM presents them, wether a whole race of ppl like elves are another race, or a race which dose not have an apperent way of reproducing is the correct way for his game. And be shure you Ask the GM if his world veiw of the game is different then wha is presented in the books. This has come up and bit me a few times in the past.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Ben Quash wrote:Acording to a scoop from the writer, this was some time ago, Bane are really the dead spirets of the long dead formless ones come back to wreek revenge on the ones that killed them. Thus, they are nether able to reprduce amonge themselves nor with humans.

However, the way you own GM presents them, wether a whole race of ppl like elves are another race, or a race which dose not have an apperent way of reproducing is the correct way for his game. And be shure you Ask the GM if his world veiw of the game is different then wha is presented in the books. This has come up and bit me a few times in the past.

Of course, not everyone plays them like this. ;)

I changed it slightly so that Nightbane are reincarnated and given life by human parents, so they don't have to be orphans, though I'm still undecided on the sterility bit...
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

http://www.necromancerbob.com/origins.shtml

The Book of Origins, a short mini-netbook on the subject. Random musings and my own nonsense. This was the first bit of material I wrote for the game, a looong time ago. Probably ungodly awful.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
killer_kaine

Unread post by killer_kaine »

that book of origins is actually pretty cool, i think it was very creative and i have gone ahead and stolen a few ideas from you, hope you dont mind, but i only used them in the writing of a campaign i havent even played yet
Silentsong

Unread post by Silentsong »

My understanding is that Nightbane ARE humans, combined with the Formless ones. They aren't a seperate race or species, except in the most artificial terms, biologically speaking.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Silentsong wrote:My understanding is that Nightbane ARE humans, combined with the Formless ones. They aren't a seperate race or species, except in the most artificial terms, biologically speaking.

Nope, they only appear human (or dwarf, or elf, or whatever), but are their own distinct form of life (given their lack of real physical form or genetic structure the term species doesn't really apply).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Beelzebozo
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Der Klown Formerly Known as Necromancer Bob

Unread post by Beelzebozo »

Actually, IIRC the genetic structure is whatever the base species (mostly human, since Nightbane really really shouldn't be mixed with other games). Or it should be anyway, since there's no way to tell an un-awakened Nightbane from a human.
Beelzebozo, Your Friendly Neighborhood Clown Demon

"More surprises than getting to third base with a transvestite!"

http://www.eldritchengines.com
Kinghawke
Explorer

Unread post by Kinghawke »

the books say that "Nightbane can only be of the human species" when they are created. they are antibodies to the Nightlord's presence. every realm has them. anywhere the Nightlords CAN go, the Nightbane are waiting to be awakened by their presence (RIFTS Dark Conversions). but there is nothing that says that Nightbane cannot reproduce with humans or each other. It assumes there is too much action going on for that issue to come up in a gaming session. however, for the older Nightbane who have been around for awhile, it's possible.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Kinghawke wrote:the books say that "Nightbane can only be of the human species" when they are created. ...snip

1) NB are not humans, most Have a human Facade.
2)
Between the Shadows, pages 142&143, fourth paragraph after the 'Rifts™' wrote:Nightbane and Other Races: The Facade of a Nightbane can belong to any non-supernatural humaniod (and human sized) race, although most (90%) night bane are human. This includes such races as Elves, Dwarves, True Alantieans, and similar human like races. No supernatural race (includes races with SNPS, large amounts of SDC (100+) or any mega damage beings or creaturas of magic) are never Nightbane.

2.1) On an contrary note: But of course the NB in the NB setting are just going to have a human Facade.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Kinghawke
Explorer

Unread post by Kinghawke »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Kinghawke wrote:the books say that "Nightbane can only be of the human species" when they are created. ...snip

1) NB are not humans, most Have a human Facade.
2)
Between the Shadows, pages 142&143, fourth paragraph after the 'Rifts™' wrote:Nightbane and Other Races: The Facade of a Nightbane can belong to any non-supernatural humaniod (and human sized) race, although most (90%) night bane are human. This includes such races as Elves, Dwarves, True Alantieans, and similar human like races. No supernatural race (includes races with SNPS, large amounts of SDC (100+) or any mega damage beings or creaturas of magic) are never Nightbane.

2.1) On an contrary note: But of course the NB in the NB setting are just going to have a human Facade.

I stand corrected.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Mike Taylor wrote:Either you're a Nightbane or you aren't. They are a separate species from humans. They can not produce children with humans nor can they themselves reproduce.
We don't necessarily know that they can't, we just aren't aware that any have, and if it is possible, we don't know how.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Tor wrote:
Mike Taylor wrote:Either you're a Nightbane or you aren't. They are a separate species from humans. They can not produce children with humans nor can they themselves reproduce.
We don't necessarily know that they can't, we just aren't aware that any have, and if it is possible, we don't know how.

:thwak: Which statement are you responding to Tor? The one that says NB can't procreate with humans? Or that NB can't procreate with themselves?

It is this type of "Not being Specific In What You Say" that causes the most arguments.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Are Nightbane human or do they just appear human? Can they procreate or are they sterile? Only a very small handful of people know for sure (and all but one signed an NDA). What Irvin and I tried to convey in the NSB is that while there is a canon answer to these questions for the purposes of consistency in future products, for you it is being left open (at least for now) so that G.M.s get to make the final decision regarding Nightbane in their campaign. Of course, I would encourage G.M.s initially to not tell the players his or her decision on the matter since the point is that "the characters don't know." Well, at least that the characters should have to do some work to figure it out.

At the same time, anyone can figure out the canon answer to the question of what Nightbane truly are as the clues are spread throughout the books. I should know, I wrote the majority of that answer as I read through the initial sourcebooks (pre-SoL). One or more of you that have posted here may have it right... or maybe not. But for now, ladies and gents, you all get to write your own canon on this subject. :wink:

So, if you want to run with C.J.'s original origin-story, Drew, let-er-rip. Silentsong wants them to be human? Fine by me. Another G.M. wants to make it some demonic curse, I take no issue. As long as the group has fun with it, you won't hear me decry the vast majority of explanations. Maybe one of these days we'll tip our hands and show you guys the script we're working from... maybe. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Warwolf, I said that one 8.7 years ago when this topic was 1st posted.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Warwolf, I said that one 8.7 years ago when this topic was 1st posted.

So does that mean you don't go by that mythos anymore? I thought you had mentioned more recently that you did...

Whatever the case, the spirit of the message is the same. Whatever works for your campaign, man, is cool. :)
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Felt no need to repeat myself in such a short topic, figuring that everyone who has come to this topic new would read the whole topic and those that read it the first time out did not need to be annoyed with it getting posted again. Which is why I did not mention it again in my 1st post when this topic had undergone 'topic necromancy', limiting myself to commenting on what Kinghawke had gotten wrong in his post.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The Nightbane Hobbes wrote:Are you perhaps refering to latents or the idea that Wampyrs were latent banes who were turned into quasi vampires?

I always figured that bit about 'latent nightbane' (I know the phrase has been used elsewhere besides Wampyrs) referred to those who hadn't yet experienced the Becoming/Morphus/Talents.

Plus isn't that just one of the working theories for how Wampyrs might be created?

Based on the percentage of vampires who become Wampyrs, that would be a LOT of latent nightbane, so I think it's just a high ME or other explanations.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:2)
Between the Shadows, pages 142&143, fourth paragraph after the 'Rifts™' wrote:Nightbane and Other Races: The Facade of a Nightbane can belong to any non-supernatural humaniod (and human sized) race, although most (90%) night bane are human. This includes such races as .. True Alantieans
That part about the Atlanteans always got me wondering. Since magic tattoos presumably don't work on Nightbane (even in Facade), you'd think the inability to use them (and perhaps the inability to get more?) would be a strong giveaway to their inhumanity... or inAtlanteanity...

Plus while one might like to give Nightbane the natural abilities of their host race to some degree, there would be huge problems with that Atlantean immunity to transformation.

Makes me wonder if Nightbane elves get archery bonuses or if Nightbane dwarves get digging bonuses.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Tor wrote:

:thwak: Which statement are you responding to Tor? The one that says NB can't procreate with humans? Or that NB can't procreate with themselves?

It is this type of "Not being Specific In What You Say" that causes the most arguments.
Both, that's why I quoted both :)

I'm probably just forgetting where it said the part about the no-breeding though. All I recall is the lack of human parents, maybe the inability to breed with humans/Nightane was mentioned in that area.
Last edited by Tor on Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

If you are making a comment about multiple items the phrase what you write to say you are responding to multiple items.

examples: "Both of these.....", "All of these...", etc.....

Or comment to parts by breaking up the quoted post.

Or a number of other ways "To be specific about what you are commenting on."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I forgot a 2nd quote tag, apologies, fixed.

Return to “Nightbane®”