Shadows of Light?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dark
Wanderer

Shadows of Light?

Unread post by Dark »

Is Shadows of Light worth looking for a copy of these days?

Nightbane, Between the Shadows, Nightlands, and Through the Glass Darkly. Waiting on Nightbane Survival Guide to arrive at current. Which I hear that one is pretty good?

But Shadows of Light seems much harder to come by these days. I'm curious those of you who have had a look at it, what you think, and whether it is something worth the effort of getting with it out of print at current.
V/R,

Dark

Adventure is someone else in deep ****, far far away.
If you want to learn something new, read an old book.
Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
My Keiretsu is bigger than yours.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Shadows of Light?

Unread post by eliakon »

Dark wrote:Is Shadows of Light worth looking for a copy of these days?

Nightbane, Between the Shadows, Nightlands, and Through the Glass Darkly. Waiting on Nightbane Survival Guide to arrive at current. Which I hear that one is pretty good?

But Shadows of Light seems much harder to come by these days. I'm curious those of you who have had a look at it, what you think, and whether it is something worth the effort of getting with it out of print at current.

You can get a PDF of it from DrivethruRPG.com I believe its 22.95 for a copy.

I found that there was stuff in the book that I could use. I Especially liked the new psi classes, the drug that makes them and the powers they have. Personally I found it worth while to get my PDF. If I can get a new physical copy I would like it, but I am not going to go out of my way to do so.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

eliakon wrote:

I found that there was stuff in the book that I could use. I Especially liked the new psi classes, the drug that makes them and the powers they have. Personally I found it worth while to get my PDF. If I can get a new physical copy I would like it, but I am not going to go out of my way to do so.

:eek: Holy crap, that is way overpriced!
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

The Beast wrote:
eliakon wrote:

It's the Palladium way. They only sell PDFs of out-of-print titles, and they charge damn near as much as you'd pay for a hard copy. And then when sales are dismal because they're only selling titles that aren't in demand and they're charging more than the market will bear, they turn around and say "Yeah we trialed PDFs and they didn't sell, so we were right when we decided not to do PDFs of current titles".
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Rallan wrote:
The Beast wrote:
eliakon wrote:

It's the Palladium way. They only sell PDFs of out-of-print titles, and they charge damn near as much as you'd pay for a hard copy. And then when sales are dismal because they're only selling titles that aren't in demand and they're charging more than the market will bear, they turn around and say "Yeah we trialed PDFs and they didn't sell, so we were right when we decided not to do PDFs of current titles".

I don't see why people think that the PDF book should be significantly cheaper. Your still getting the same book so why not pay the same amount? Now if the books are PDF only then sure...but if the book competes with the physical copy then no, you pay the same amount for both books (unless they WANT to stop selling paper copies).
Regardless I had to estimate the cost because I only paid 11.50 for mine (I do not recall the details on the discount but my drivethru account shows 11.50 as the purchase price the 22.00 is struck through)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

Because the margins on a paper/physical product are totally different from those of a PDF sale? You have continuing production/stocking/logistics costs for providing/selling a physical product that justify a higher price that don't exist with PDF sales. So in short, they are worth more because they cost more to produce and deliver to the customer. PDF sales don't have these as a component, and just simply put are not a physical book in your hands. There is no reason the two should cost the same.
V/R,

Dark

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Dark wrote:Because the margins on a paper/physical product are totally different from those of a PDF sale? You have continuing production/stocking/logistics costs for providing/selling a physical product that justify a higher price that don't exist with PDF sales. So in short, they are worth more because they cost more to produce and deliver to the customer. PDF sales don't have these as a component, and just simply put are not a physical book in your hands. There is no reason the two should cost the same.

If they don't cost the same though then the PDF is competing with the Paper book.
So what your saying is that they should cut their own paper-book sales throats......
That's fine if you want Palladium to go to pure PDF, but if we want them to keep printing paper books (And I for one want that) then they need to not compete with themselves. Not to mention that the savings on the physical book are not that impressive if your only selling a smaller number of books total. The development costs (Writers hours, editing, proofreading ect) are flat. And the margins are not that great to start with. Remember palladium sells a copies of books in the 'few thousand' not in the 'hundreds of thousands' so they need to recoup more per margin because they have less of a total pool to play with.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If you are not a "Collector" and you have the copy of the rifter that contains the article that SoL was expanded from...nah not really.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

eliakon wrote:
Dark wrote:Because the margins on a paper/physical product are totally different from those of a PDF sale? You have continuing production/stocking/logistics costs for providing/selling a physical product that justify a higher price that don't exist with PDF sales. So in short, they are worth more because they cost more to produce and deliver to the customer. PDF sales don't have these as a component, and just simply put are not a physical book in your hands. There is no reason the two should cost the same.

If they don't cost the same though then the PDF is competing with the Paper book.
So what your saying is that they should cut their own paper-book sales throats......
That's fine if you want Palladium to go to pure PDF, but if we want them to keep printing paper books (And I for one want that) then they need to not compete with themselves. Not to mention that the savings on the physical book are not that impressive if your only selling a smaller number of books total. The development costs (Writers hours, editing, proofreading ect) are flat. And the margins are not that great to start with. Remember palladium sells a copies of books in the 'few thousand' not in the 'hundreds of thousands' so they need to recoup more per margin because they have less of a total pool to play with.

There are small publishers all over Drivethru that sell POD books and PDFs both with more reasonable prices. I'd hesitate to speculate about Palladium's numbers/factors/problems... but if one-man shops can do it, with apparent success, I'd like to think Palladium can and would be benefited in doing so as well. I may be wrong.
V/R,

Dark

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

eliakon wrote:I don't see why people think that the PDF book should be significantly cheaper. Your still getting the same book so why not pay the same amount? Now if the books are PDF only then sure...but if the book competes with the physical copy then no, you pay the same amount for both books (unless they WANT to stop selling paper copies).
Regardless I had to estimate the cost because I only paid 11.50 for mine (I do not recall the details on the discount but my drivethru account shows 11.50 as the purchase price the 22.00 is struck through)

Because you aren't getting a physical product that you can hold in your hands and add to your impressive collection, and a whole bunch of expenses that have to be covered in traditional publishing (printing, shipping, distributors, retailers) just don't exist for ebooks.

And it's just how the market turned out. Most publishers charge less for ebooks than regular books because they can and because it drives sales, and consumers aren't impressed by the companies that try to demand twentytwo bucks for a pdf file.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rallan wrote:
eliakon wrote:I don't see why people think that the PDF book should be significantly cheaper. Your still getting the same book so why not pay the same amount? Now if the books are PDF only then sure...but if the book competes with the physical copy then no, you pay the same amount for both books (unless they WANT to stop selling paper copies).

Because you aren't getting a physical product that you can hold in your hands and add to your impressive collection, and a whole bunch of expenses that have to be covered in traditional publishing (printing, shipping, distributors, retailers) just don't exist for ebooks.

And it's just how the market turned out. Most publishers charge less for ebooks than regular books because they can and because it drives sales, and consumers aren't impressed by the companies that try to demand twentytwo bucks for a pdf file.

Not only that, but this book didn't sell well enough to justify additional printings. (IIRC, it's Palladium's worst selling book.) It's also said to have been edited poorly to the point that a couple of the sections refer to stuff that were taken out of it (not even in a Rifter). Cutting the price even more might help earn money back.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Rallan wrote:

that market is changing though.
i am finding more and more pdfs that cost just as much as the actual physical copies do.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

Usually if that is the case they offer a physical book + PDF bundle however, where you get both at the same time.
V/R,

Dark

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Dark wrote:Usually if that is the case they offer a physical book + PDF bundle however, where you get both at the same time.
only if you order direct from the publisher. Get the PDF from anywhere else and you are paying full price. (unless the seller has a sale at some point).
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

Sometimes (perhaps even frequently) true, but not always. I see things priced like that very frequently on Drivethru for example.
V/R,

Dark

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:If you are not a "Collector" and you have the copy of the rifter that contains the article that SoL was expanded from...nah not really.

I thought those only contained the Detroit/Athanatos. SoL has all kinds of cool stuff I don't recall seeing in the Rifter like psy classes, Nocturne Librarian, Reapers, Dark Guardians, Strigoi
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The question asked for a judgment call and that was my judgement call. To run the game does not need to have every single last everything, and the Rifter article has the major items in it, Detroit & the Athanatos.
If the is a player that wants to play one of those classes then that player will have SoL because they are a die hard collector and the GM can just barrow the book to familiarize herself with those things.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

To be fair it also has five seven new psionic classes, each of which has special class specific psionic abilities. None of which was reprinted. I would say that psionic classes and powers are a 'major thing' especially since there are rules for other psions to take and use the powers (thus meaning that these powers are relevant to every psi in the game)

However I would say that if you want it, just go get a PDF copy. Its a lot easier to get the PDF than track down a physical copy, and likely to be much cheaper as well.

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Rallan wrote:

that market is changing though.
i am finding more and more pdfs that cost just as much as the actual physical copies do.

The market might be changing, but not many people are going to be impressed at having to pay the full print edition retail price for an ebook version of something that's been consigned to the remainder bin.
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Shadows of Light is only $11.49 on DrivethruRPG.com. Certainly worth it in my opinion.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)

Return to “Nightbane®”