Meld Living Flesh & Bone question

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Meld Living Flesh & Bone question

Unread post by eliakon »

The level 8 spell, Meld Living Flesh & Bone, seems straight forward enough....untill you read the limitations. It says that body parts of supernatural beings canont be attached to mere mortals and then says this includes Nightbane. Soooooo does that mean that Nightbane peices can be attached to humans, since they (at least for the purposes of this spell) are being classed as 'mere mortals'. Eg, can Mr Fleshie 'borrow' that nightbanes tentacle that he covets?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Meld Living Flesh & Bone question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

only facade body parts. Morphus bodies are made of some inky black substance that seems to defy biology.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:only facade body parts. Morphus bodies are made of some inky black substance that seems to defy biology.

Is that written someplace I missed, or just an interpretation based on what happens when they die?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

eliakon wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:only facade body parts. Morphus bodies are made of some inky black substance that seems to defy biology.

Is that written someplace I missed, or just an interpretation based on what happens when they die?

The latter.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Best guess is Facade interchanges with Humans and Morphus interchanges with Hounds or whatever other supie.

Now I'm beginning to wonder: since HP/SDC pools are separate, what happens if a Nightbane loses (or gains) a limb in one form, what happens to their other?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:Best guess is Facade interchanges with Humans and Morphus interchanges with Hounds or whatever other supie.

Now I'm beginning to wonder: since HP/SDC pools are separate, what happens if a Nightbane loses (or gains) a limb in one form, what happens to their other?

Nothing.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

That's kinda neat. Especially when there's not huge differences between the two (like maybe a pair of elf ears or something) and you get your arms ripped off fighting Hounds then grow them back in Facade (I assume they also grow back eventually in Morphus, based on the Wanderer's Diaries). Or maybe Hounds rip off your arms in Facade and you get them back in Morphus and... I guess they're bloody stumps when you return to Facade...

If that ever happened I'd be staying in Morphus a looong time until I was sure the blood had clotted in the Facade.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

eliakon wrote:The level 8 spell, Meld Living Flesh & Bone, seems straight forward enough....untill you read the limitations. It says that body parts of supernatural beings canont be attached to mere mortals and then says this includes Nightbane. Soooooo does that mean that Nightbane peices can be attached to humans, since they (at least for the purposes of this spell) are being classed as 'mere mortals'. Eg, can Mr Fleshie 'borrow' that nightbanes tentacle that he covets?

I think Palladium Books means that nightbane are supernatural, and therefore can't have their body parts attached to a mortal's body.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nightbane are an oddity in that they're not exactly non-supernatural OR supernatural. The Morphus is, the Facade isn't. So their body parts could interchange with different groups of things depending on which form they're in.

So a Nightbane's Morphus's arm could be attached to a Hound, and a Nightbane's Facade's arm could be attached to a human.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

These are all workable I guess, I was just confused about the whole "you cant put supernatural parts on a nightbane, because they arn't supernatural" It seems like they almost are creating a new class 'nightbane' besides the regular mortal/supernatural/creature of magic....of course we all know Palladium is so clear and concise about abilities and overlaps huh :P

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The problem with attaching things to Nightbane isn't so much that they aren't supernatural, but rather that they're immune to transformations.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:The problem with attaching things to Nightbane isn't so much that they aren't supernatural, but rather that they're immune to transformations.

doesnt mean I cant take a piece OFF them and attach it to something else :P

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

eliakon wrote:
Tor wrote:The problem with attaching things to Nightbane isn't so much that they aren't supernatural, but rather that they're immune to transformations.

doesnt mean I cant take a piece OFF them and attach it to something else :P

Technically considering that that peice of them is still part of a nightbane, it's immune to being transformed into a part of someone else...

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Eh, chopped off limbs do sorta die eventually, it's not clear on whether or not dead bits retain powers associated with a living form. Like for example, would it be impossible to burn the hair (chopped off with magic scissors) of someone with the super power of invulnerability?

Although a limb detached via the Piecework Talent should retain them since it's still alive and connected, until the duration is up.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

there you are sort of getting into questions that probablly have no one answer, and it varies depending on the type of magic or power and source. For example, arguably a mutant with the super power of invunerability, it's an aspect of their biology. for whatever reason their cellular structure cannot be harmed by X things. this may then remain true after death. however if your talking about a superpower being granted by magic, then it may or may not expire on death, depends on exactly how it's granted. Mystically bestowed would probablly end on death, while a mystic object may last for as long as the object remains on the corpse, ect.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Seeing as how Negate Super Abilities psionically attacks and negates super powers in the brain (even passive ones that remain on while unconscious like invulnerability, oddly) in the same fashion that an Anti-Magic-Cloud does to a Mystic Bestowed's super powers, I think 'powers after death' is something only worth considering for Aliens who have the powers naturally since it states Negate Super Abilities doesn't work on them.

Though presumably Borrow still does.

Return to “Nightbane®”