Possession vs Mind Control with Nightbane

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Kinghawke
Explorer

Possession vs Mind Control with Nightbane

Unread post by Kinghawke »

Nightbane are immune to ALL forms of Mind Control (magical, psionic, drugs, etc). but, are they immune to Possession?

the rules state that they are immune to mind control, even from vampires, yet several Talents state that the particular talent being viewed makes them immune to vampire changing them or mind controlling them.

my ultimate question is: Can Nightbane be Possessed by astral beings or while they're "out" astrally?
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Possession vs Mind Control with Nightbane

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Possession is a form of mind control, as in it's littearlly a method of controling their minds by inhabiting their body. distinct, but i'd still go with "immune"
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Possession is a form of mind control, as in it's littearlly a method of controling their minds by inhabiting their body. distinct, but i'd still go with "immune"

As would I.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If possession were mind control, bonuses to save vs mind control would also apply versus possession. I view them as different things. I think possession is the outside mind controlling the body directly and bypassing the mind, whereas mind control is utilizing the mind and influencing it. Someone possessed isn't being mind controlled at all, the mind isn't in control anymore, so there's no need to control it.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Kinghawke
Explorer

Tor wrote:If possession were mind control, bonuses to save vs mind control would also apply versus possession. I view them as different things. I think possession is the outside mind controlling the body directly and bypassing the mind, whereas mind control is utilizing the mind and influencing it. Someone possessed isn't being mind controlled at all, the mind isn't in control anymore, so there's no need to control it.

fair point.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:If possession were mind control, bonuses to save vs mind control would also apply versus possession. I view them as different things. I think possession is the outside mind controlling the body directly and bypassing the mind, whereas mind control is utilizing the mind and influencing it. Someone possessed isn't being mind controlled at all, the mind isn't in control anymore, so there's no need to control it.

Not necessarily. Lets say you have a creature immune to sleep (just for example). it dosn't matter if you try to put it to sleep through tranquilizers, induce healing or a sleeping poition, none of them would work, dispite all of them having different saves.

Effects can have different mechanisms for the same effects. After all, why does "impervious to mind control" exsit, and not "Immune to psionics"? Simple, not all forms of mind control are psionic in nature.

Take it another way, a creature "Immune to psionics" would be immune to the power mentally possess others, but not a possessing entity.

So we can see that saves can actually be subdivided and a lot of cross applications. So Possession can be a form of Mind Control and still have independant save bonus's, because it's possible to increase your save vs possession indepenant of your save vs psionics or magic that applies to either possessing method. and it's possible to get a bonus to all forms of mind control regardless of source, including possession.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

How is it mind controll though if your controlling the body that may or may not have a mind (possession is a huge danger of astral travel and the like). I would say its more of a seperate but close thing. but thats my two cents worth.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Kinghawke wrote:Nightbane are immune to ALL forms of Mind Control (magical, psionic, drugs, etc). but, are they immune to Possession?

the rules state that they are immune to mind control, even from vampires, yet several Talents state that the particular talent being viewed makes them immune to vampire changing them or mind controlling them.

my ultimate question is: Can Nightbane be Possessed by astral beings or while they're "out" astrally?

I think it is open to question, but I have to go with Elaikon above and say that if a nightbane was 'absent' from his body then the possessing force is not controlling his mind in any way, just inhabiting a mindless body, and so would be able to do so easily.

However, as Nightbane cannot have psychic abilities, they cannot enter the astral plane using astral projection. the nightbane talent that allows entry into the astral plane involves turning the whole body of the nightbane into an astral forming, leaving no body behind.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Soldier of Od wrote:
Kinghawke wrote:Nightbane are immune to ALL forms of Mind Control (magical, psionic, drugs, etc). but, are they immune to Possession?

I think it is open to question, but I have to go with Elaikon above and say that if a nightbane was 'absent' from his body then the possessing force is not controlling his mind in any way, just inhabiting a mindless body, and so would be able to do so easily.

However, as Nightbane cannot have psychic abilities, they cannot enter the astral plane using astral projection. the nightbane talent that allows entry into the astral plane involves turning the whole body of the nightbane into an astral forming, leaving no body behind.

Oh yeah, there's a magic spell astral projection that a nightbane sorcerer could have. Stupid to forget that. So, I go with yes, their bodies can be possessed while the mind is absent.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Kinghawke
Explorer

Soldier of Od wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:

Oh yeah, there's a magic spell astral projection that a nightbane sorcerer could have. Stupid to forget that. So, I go with yes, their bodies can be possessed while the mind is absent.

people have been possessed while in their bodies, but then their minds are trapped. is that possible for Nightbane while their minds are present?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Kinghawke wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:
Soldier of Od wrote:

people have been possessed while in their bodies, but then their minds are trapped. is that possible for Nightbane while their minds are present?

Sure why not? your not controlling the mind, your just sayin "I'm sorry but I'll drive thank you" its not mind control its body control.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

I just wanted to chime in and say that you guys are awesome. Just when I think I've covered most of the burning questions in past or upcoming errata, you all find a new puzzle for me to mull over. Too bad I'm not a liberty to write more until I get this darned thesis done. Of course, I'll be making note of this question to answer at a later date... Keep at it folks. :ok:
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Lets say you have a creature immune to sleep (just for example). it dosn't matter if you try to put it to sleep through tranquilizers, induce healing or a sleeping poition, none of them would work, dispite all of them having different saves.
I understand the bit about the saving throws but I don't see why possession should be assumed to be a form of mind control. A body can be controlled and moved in ways besides controlling someone's mind to choose to do it.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

If you want to possess a nightbane, use a thin one from Baalgor Wastelands.
Kinghawke
Explorer

I agree about the thin ones, but question about mind control:

Nightbane Survival Guide:
Mineral Table II Note: all mineral Morphus forms makes the character impervious to the vampire's bite & mind control.
Undead Table notes: immune to the bite & mind control of vampires & other undead creatures

why does it say that, if Nightbane are already immune to all forms of mind control & to the vampire's slow bite?
also, if they are immune to all forms of transformations: are they immune from other Nightbanes' Taint & Gorgon's Touch?
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Kinghawke wrote:I agree about the thin ones, but question about mind control:

Nightbane Survival Guide:
Mineral Table II Note: all mineral Morphus forms makes the character impervious to the vampire's bite & mind control.
Undead Table notes: immune to the bite & mind control of vampires & other undead creatures

why does it say that, if Nightbane are already immune to all forms of mind control & to the vampire's slow bite?
also, if they are immune to all forms of transformations: are they immune from other Nightbanes' Taint & Gorgon's Touch?

Whoever wrote the guide apparently needed a refresher on natural nightbane abilities perhaps, it happens. DEM has some problems with his Ultimate Powers Book for the Classic Marvel RPG because he assumed some things about the rules because he skimmed the rule books. I assume such discrepancies can be seen to be within the same kind of human error.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

That the current PB writers do not resuerch into something before they start writing "new rules" for stuff that already has rules that cover that something is one of the things I find stupid. And that it gets past whoever is editing the books for production.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Didn't this happen to Nightbane in Dark Conversions? Maybe it's just Nightbane in particular that new authors assume they know everything about.

Much as I love TTGD, I don't see why Nightbane lack Nemeses. Since Nemeses are not necessarily Dopplegangers, I don't see why a Nightbane's lack of Doppleganger should equate also to a lack of Nemesis. Or is this merely coincidence?
Kinghawke
Explorer

Tor wrote:Didn't this happen to Nightbane in Dark Conversions? Maybe it's just Nightbane in particular that new authors assume they know everything about.

Much as I love TTGD, I don't see why Nightbane lack Nemeses. Since Nemeses are not necessarily Dopplegangers, I don't see why a Nightbane's lack of Doppleganger should equate also to a lack of Nemesis. Or is this merely coincidence?

I can see the Nemesis being a Nightbane potential's double. they don't have doppelgangers! humans have doppelgangers. nightbane still have doubles. just they are nemesis.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nemeses aren't doubles, they're opposition :)

Return to “Nightbane®”