Nightbane World Book 4: Shadows of Light

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightbane World Book 4: Shadows of Light

Unread post by Ronin78 »

What is with this book. I see it on Rpgnow.com, But not in the Palladium store.
Nightbane World Book 4: Shadows of Light.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

My Gaming Blog http://gamingronin.blogspot.com/
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Nightbane World Book 4: Shadows of Light

Unread post by jaymz »

It has officially been discontinued and for all intents and purposes disowned
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Well that Sucks. I'm a huge fan of the author. Own most his other works. Never even noticed this book before till I noticed it on RPGnow.com.
Gamers are the only people I know that can brag about the things they pretend they did.

jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

If you search you may be able to still find a thread about the why. Myself, eh, I have the book so i don;t care why they discontinued it :lol:
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

jaymz wrote:If you search you may be able to still find a thread about the why. Myself, eh, I have the book so i don;t care why they discontinued it :lol:

Its at the top of this section.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Short answer: Kevin disagreed with some of the implied metaphysics, also, it was extremely unpopular with fans of nightbane.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

IMHO the book doesnt set the world alight but it IS useful. Like all RPG books you'll use some stuff and dislike others. discontinuing it in a line with so little sourcebooks wasnt needed. If you can get a second hand copy do so.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

The Dark Elf wrote:IMHO the book doesnt set the world alight but it IS useful. Like all RPG books you'll use some stuff and dislike others. discontinuing it in a line with so little sourcebooks wasnt needed. If you can get a second hand copy do so.

I'm working on it. not paying this for it though.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... s+of+Light

Antimony
D-Bee

Loved the Fallen. The Gregorians were meh.

Unread post by Antimony »

Ronin78 wrote:
The Dark Elf wrote:IMHO the book doesnt set the world alight but it IS useful. Like all RPG books you'll use some stuff and dislike others. discontinuing it in a line with so little sourcebooks wasnt needed. If you can get a second hand copy do so.

Shadows of Light can be found here too, if you don't mind pdfs.
:rose:
Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

I really really liked, and still do like, Shadows of Light despite some editing issues.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Loved the Fallen. The Gregorians were meh.

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Antimony wrote:
Ronin78 wrote:

Shadows of Light can be found here too, if you don't mind pdfs.

I dont mind a PDF, But I want a dead tree. I'll find one. Just sad that I cant buy one from Palladium directly.

MurderCityDisciple
Adventurer
Location: Formerly:Detroit, Michigan (West Side) Now in Dearborn: Which has 98.7% less arson.

Unread post by MurderCityDisciple »

The whole super angelic beings thing kinda put me off....other than that, the book has merit. The angel thing is a big chunk of the book though.
“It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful.” - Anton LaVey

"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

"The die is cast." - Julius Caesar [Ultimate Powergamer]
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I have a pdf copy just for completeness sake.......though if if i ever do run a game this book will be omitted.......
The Dragon Has Spoken
Soldier of Od
Hero

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

Even if you don't like the Athanatos or the Strigoi, the fleshing out of the Nocturnes and the Lightbringers alone is totally worth buying the book. Plus the O.C.C.s.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

I don't think Anyone, even Kevin, have claimed there was nothing worthwhile or interesting inside of the book. It was simply decided the book as a whole didn't fit the tone they were going for in Nightbane.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Dont like the Athanatos: Pages 23-42
Neutral on Tophet: 43-57
Happy with the Nocturnes: 58-66
Happy with the Lightbringers: 66-73
Big fan of the Pandora Project: 74-93
Fairly happy with the extra classes: 93-102
Uninterested in the Strigoi: 102-105
Regurgiation of Vampire Intellegences: 105-110
Pittsburgh looked like an OK place: 111-138 & 150-152
I never actually read the adventure: 139-149

All in all I think I give the book a decent score. With the ADA being the source of the bulk of my nightbane interest bringing up the average signifigantly. I haven't actually read/used any of the other sections recently . . . just pulled out the book to help determine how much of the book was dedicated to the two uninspired portions [Athanathos & Strigoi] and it only accounted for about 1/4th the book.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Rappanui wrote:I disliked much more,
I like the athanatoi
I like the pandora project
I like the strigoi
Dislike the rest of the book.

What was that?
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Short answer: Kevin disagreed with some of the implied metaphysics, also, it was extremely unpopular with fans of nightbane.
Official line is the books sales did not merit a continuation of the print run.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Short answer: Kevin disagreed with some of the implied metaphysics, also, it was extremely unpopular with fans of nightbane.
Official line is the books sales did not merit a continuation of the print run.

yes, if it had sold well Kevin would have let it slide, however Nightbane survival guide and the planned followup are clearly taking the setting in a different direction. Poor sales have never caused palladium to strike a book from continuity before. and they've had some flops.

Josh Hilden
Adventurer
Comment: Just another **** from Detroit. Please be kind to yourself and each other.

Unread post by Josh Hilden »

I am sure sluggish sales had something to do with it, but I doubt that is 100% percent of the answer. I would say direction changes had just as much if not more to do with it.

Meh.

I really like the book, but I understand the strategy.
Josh Hilden

MY LINKS
"The strength of a civilization is not measured by its ability to fight wars, but rather by its ability to prevent them." - Gene Roddenberry
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

You dont go back on something being a canon part of the line due to sales. Whatever the cause it is in bad taste and as a fan, not needed.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

MurderCityDisciple wrote:The whole super angelic beings thing kinda put me off....
Yet the Guardians in the main book and angelic morphi and necrophim are fine? ;)

jaymz wrote:It has officially been discontinued and for all intents and purposes disowned
Guess it joins the ranks of Manhunter, TMNT... am I missing anything?

The Dark Elf wrote:You dont go back on something being a canon part of the line due to sales. Whatever the cause it is in bad taste and as a fan, not needed.
Agreed. Once canon, always canon, IMO.

That's why I still hang on to Palladium RPG 1st Ed and I get an evil Juggernaut :) Of course I treat the PRPG world and the PFRPG2 worlds as distinct similar worlds with the different versions of the gods being different characters. That first Thoth has nothing about being Xy so he can have different origins :)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

There is a large difference with Manhunter and TMNT though. Those are other companie's IP that Palladium no longer holds the licence to. It can't do anything with them if it wanted to. Palladium owns Shadows of Light, and its decided it's not worth using anymore.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Hm, so basically, when we keep SoL canon circulating in games, we're sticking it to Palladium, but when we keep MH/TMNT canon circulating, we're sticking it to other companies like whoever made MH and whoever Laird sold the TMNT rights to.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:Hm, so basically, when we keep SoL canon circulating in games, we're sticking it to Palladium, but when we keep MH/TMNT canon circulating, we're sticking it to other companies like whoever made MH and whoever Laird sold the TMNT rights to.

I'm not sure how using discontinued material is "sticking it" to anyone. :?

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

It counteracts efforts to deny the past. Kind of like making an effort to remember Venus de Milo, the 5th turtle :)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:It counteracts efforts to deny the past. Kind of like making an effort to remember Venus de Milo, the 5th turtle :)

I don't see it as palladium covering their ears and going "LALALALAWENEVERPRINTEDTHATBOOK", it's more "This book dosn't fit in the direction we want to go with the setting. true, there are a few bits that arn't bad, but overall it's just not worth keeping the book when so much isn't applicable to what we want to do"

Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Not sure Nightbane is going in any direction at the moment. So its hard for me to imagine that "another direction" for a product line would benefit from removing any kind of material.When was the last book released? I would love to be a bigger fan of the game, If it had material for me to buy I would buy it.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Ronin78 wrote:Not sure Nightbane is going in any direction at the moment. So its hard for me to imagine that "another direction" for a product line would benefit from removing any kind of material.When was the last book released? I would love to be a bigger fan of the game, If it had material for me to buy I would buy it.

Nightbane Survival Guide was in 2009, and Warwolf (co-author on it) is working on Dark Designs. And from what i've heard, part of the process behind survival guide behind the scenes was the creation of a nightbane guideline setting metaphysical mechanics and plot details to be revealed in future books (So any future authors knows roughly where things are going)

Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Well here is hoping. I would love to see more material.

Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Panomas wrote:On another note-

I have never seen Shadows of Light-but it did get a print run then-right?

Yes. Most the copies I can find are $45 - $60.
The PDF is still available on rpgnow.com too

Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Ronin78 wrote:

lucky you...
Cheapest I ever found was some @$$ fishing for $150.00
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Ronin78
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Ronin78 »

Damian Magecraft wrote:
Ronin78 wrote:

lucky you...
Cheapest I ever found was some @$$ fishing for $150.00

There is 3 on Amazon right now used for $35

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:"This book dosn't fit in the direction we want to go with the setting. true, there are a few bits that arn't bad, but overall it's just not worth keeping the book when so much isn't applicable to what we want to do"
A lot of stuff in TTGD is probably never going to be referenced again in future books, yet that's no reason to stop printing it, brings a lot of richness to the world.

I really don't get why the book's not applicable or how it shifts the direction. It basically adds optional elements that can add complexity to existing factions, and adds a couple new ones.

Rappanui wrote:i bought the book when it was new. i wasn't that dissapointed. Except in the background.
My central disappointment, much like with Xiticix Invasion, was buying material I already owned from the Rifters =/
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:"This book dosn't fit in the direction we want to go with the setting. true, there are a few bits that arn't bad, but overall it's just not worth keeping the book when so much isn't applicable to what we want to do"
A lot of stuff in TTGD is probably never going to be referenced again in future books, yet that's no reason to stop printing it, brings a lot of richness to the world.

Nah, the spell breathers, who make living spells are their own thing. And making spells up and the proficincies and whatnot are all popular and ok with KS.

Rappanui wrote:i bought the book when it was new. i wasn't that dissapointed. Except in the background.
My central disappointment, much like with Xiticix Invasion, was buying material I already owned from the Rifters =/

This was expanded stuff. More heavily edited, and the author was mad at the combo of lack of contact and the large amount of editing, so he decided to end his professional relationship with PB.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Lost Seraph wrote:The entire book is useful. The Pandora Project psychics are awesome, and make for a unique style of black ops squad that's one faction only. The Lightbringer and Nocturne expansions are also well done.

I like what he did for the Nocturnes. I dislike the Lightbringer stuff because it turns the angelic guys into extremist jerks. This happens so often in fiction that there is a tv tropes page for it. The Knight Templars. Which, perhaps confusingly, is also the name of a new, and in my opinion, unnecessary faction. One that is also obsessed with vampires, but unlike the Lightbringers, isn't given any flak for it. This is utterly hypocritical, IMO, because the Lightbringers are shown as be badwrongevil for it. While the Templars are treated as hip and cool.

As for the Athanatos, we've had one in every Nightbane setting we've ran, and they've fit in well, especially in Nocturne cells. More factions add a lot to the style, especially if they have additional supernatural beings (playable), rather then I'm the evil corporation or magic wielding secret society tropes that every smaller faction has.

I like them too. I would personally ignore the given background, mostly on OOC knowledge grounds.

Psyscape psychics from Rifts work well as additional products of the Pandora Project.

In my opinion it's better to assume that Psyscape has returned, to Nightbane Earth! only they are their to fight the Nightlords, instead of undead.

Summoners, Witches and Shifters from Rifts/PFRPG, since demon summoning fits as the fourth major faction in the Nightlord/Nightbane/Vampire/demon throwdown.

Hmmm, yeah, I like to throw them in as surprise twist. Make the PC's think they are looking at a Night cultist, them maybe a rogue Night cultist, then a true Demon cultist, then Wham! Disguised Minotaur Is Looking to Summon the Old Ones Due to the Weakened Mirrorwall! And the Nightlords Want To Help the PC's Stop Him!

Demon Hunters from Armageddon Unlimited

Combine them with the guys in Mystic China, then have them work for the Knights Templar?
That. Could work, gets em away from vamps.(Let's face it, the guardians can wipe out any vamps in the setting.)
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

jaymz wrote:If you search you may be able to still find a thread about the why. Myself, eh, I have the book so i don;t care why they discontinued it :lol:

Thats mean. :-?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

Ronin78 wrote:

Remember buying from Amazon is not supporting Palladium Books.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

SittingBull wrote:
Ronin78 wrote:

The book in question is out of print...
The only way to get it in dead tree form is Amazon.
SittingBull
Hero

Damian Magecraft wrote:
SittingBull wrote:
Ronin78 wrote:

The book in question is out of print...
The only way to get it in dead tree form is Amazon.

Very true then. I sit corrected.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Sir_Spirit wrote:Nah, the spell breathers, who make living spells are their own thing. And making spells up and the proficincies and whatnot are all popular and ok with KS.
Isn't that just Rifter material? Or did it make it into some canon publications?

Sir_Spirit wrote:I dislike the Lightbringer stuff because it turns the angelic guys into extremist jerks. This happens so often in fiction that there is a tv tropes page for it.
That was nothing unique to ToS. The dark aspects of Guardians and Lightbringers have been hinted at from the start.

Sir_Spirit wrote:The Knight Templars. Which, perhaps confusingly, is also the name of a new, and in my opinion, unnecessary faction.
Actually weren't the Templars present (albeit in an extremely different way) in Through the Glass Darkly? How they went from a sham cult to vampire slayers confuses me though.

Sir_Spirit wrote:One that is also obsessed with vampires, but unlike the Lightbringers, isn't given any flak for it. This is utterly hypocritical, IMO, because the Lightbringers are shown as be badwrongevil for it. While the Templars are treated as hip and cool.
That's because the Templars are led by humans. The Lightbringers are dominated by the alien Guardians with unknown forces pulling their strings.

Sir_Spirit wrote:I would personally ignore the given background, mostly on OOC knowledge grounds.
Which aspect, the weird Moloch flavour text? I think a lot of that is option since they present it in the context of legends which may or may not be true to varying degrees.

Sir_Spirit wrote:it's better to assume that Psyscape has returned, to Nightbane Earth! only they are their to fight the Nightlords, instead of undead.
Psyscape IS an astral realm, so its creators could pretty easily just create a portal from it to Nightbane Earth (or the Nightlands) just like it did to Rifts.

Sir_Spirit wrote:Disguised Minotaur Is Looking to Summon the Old Ones Due to the Weakened Mirrorwall! And the Nightlords Want To Help the PC's Stop Him!
The dark side to this would be if Moloch was trying to stop the Old Ones, it would be because they only want to RULE the universe whereas he wants to destroy it.

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Demon Hunters from Armageddon Unlimited
Combine them with the guys in Mystic China, then have them work for the Knights Templar?
That. Could work, gets em away from vamps.(Let's face it, the guardians can wipe out any vamps in the setting.)
Guardians rely too much on their PPE to win. Vampires have no-cost healing. In long term battles with hit and run situations, vampires will dominate.

We shouldn't underestimate vamps. Keep in mind they're immune to normal weaponry, something guardians are not. If guardians chased vampires into a building, the vampires could set the building on fire or demolish it at no risk to themselves. The guardians might survive by spending huge amounts of PPE on light shields, only to be at the mercy of the fresh vamps when the dust clears. Guardians are really only scary because of that whole 'I can spend 100 PPE to vapourize you in one blow" factor. That's not a gamble to make when your enemies have cover though, or when they (probably) outnumber you. Vampires are also pretty agile and their bonus to dodge may exceed the bonus to strike with such a blast.

SittingBull wrote:I sit corrected.
You weren't really wrong. Buying discontinued books doesn't support Palladium Books directly either ;)

That said: it should be promoted, because if fans know they might be able to potentially resell books, they may be more likely to buy them to begin with. Books that lack resale value are valued less. Books being resold is good for business because it shows the demand for product, even if it loses an initial sale, bidding wars are good.
SittingBull
Hero

The psionic illusionist looks really nice.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Though since one of the Athanatos OCCs can get all of their abilities (eventually... though it woudl require being a higher level than 15) they seem gipped.
SittingBull
Hero

You mean the psychic illusionist?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Tor wrote:Isn't that just Rifter material? Or did it make it into some canon publications?

ummm, well, the living spells are in TTGD(which does make THEM canon) so... ...maybe? Ya know what? I don't actually care(about thespell breather OCC's canonicity*). Sorry!

That was nothing unique to ToS. The dark aspects of Guardians and Lightbringers have been hinted at from the start.

ToS wasn't "hinting" at anything, not that what you've said is an excuse IMO....

Actually weren't the Templars present (albeit in an extremely different way) in Through the Glass Darkly? How they went from a sham cult to vampire slayers confuses me though.

There's no proven canon connection between those 2 groups.

Sir_Spirit wrote:One that is also obsessed with vampires, but unlike the Lightbringers, isn't given any flak for it. This is utterly hypocritical, IMO, because the Lightbringers are shown as be badwrongevil for it. While the Templars are treated as hip and cool.
That's because the Templars are led by humans. The Lightbringers are dominated by the alien Guardians with unknown forces pulling their strings.

No, you have no proof that the Templars aren't secretly lead by aliens or that the Guardians are aliens. The Templars was shown as "cool" for being fanatics while the guardians are amde too look bad for it it by writer's fiat.

Guardians rely too much on their PPE to win.

Nope, doesn't cost them anything to turn into mini-Suns and roast vamps endlessly.

We shouldn't underestimate vamps.

Yes we should. We, not our characters, but WE, can kill them with pee. PEE.

*=I suppose I should point out why, basically if I want them in a campaign then they are canon, and if I didn't, well, then I'd have to actually not like them and I don't not like them, so I don't actually care if they show up or not......
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Sir_Spirit wrote:no proven canon connection between those 2 groups.
You mean besides having the same name? Could just be a coincidence, in which case you'd think there'd be some inevitable drama between the two.

Sir_Spirit wrote:you have no proof that the Templars aren't secretly lead by aliens or that the Guardians are aliens. The Templars was shown as "cool" for being fanatics while the guardians are amde too look bad for it it by writer's fiat.
While there's no absolute proof, there are strong implications of the Guardians' alienness (see for example, their shared abilities with the Athanatos, their presence in the Astral Plane) and no implications that the Templars are anything but human.

Also Guardians are clearly more fanatic than the Templars are, based on descriptions. Templars have a lot of anti-vamp abilities but I don't see where they're described as being anywhere near as fanatic.

Sir_Spirit wrote:doesn't cost them anything to turn into mini-Suns and roast vamps endlessly.
Hm true... even at half effectiveness that's still pretty decent. You'd think they'd give, if not a PPE cost, at least some reduction in melee attacks to keep that active, but the description seems to imply they can just turn it on while punching a vamp to death or something. Pretty brutal.

This leads me to question: just what would protect a vampire from sunlight? Full SWAT gear?

Sir_Spirit wrote:We, not our characters, but WE, can kill them with pee. PEE.
Pee isn't water, it has to be relatively pure water to work. Maybe if you don't consume much and water-fast for a day or two it might work. If it does, power to you.

Personally I don't think I would be good or fast enough with aiming for that to be beneficial.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Tor wrote:You mean besides having the same name? Could just be a coincidence, in which case you'd think there'd be some inevitable drama between the two.

Yeah, using both of them(they both have histories that In My Opinion, aren't really compatible) would be hilarious. :angel:

Hm, that reminds me, we need to fit some crystals skulls in here someway....

While there's no absolute proof, there are strong implications of the Guardians' alienness (see for example, their shared abilities with the Athanatos, their presence in the Astral Plane) and no implications that the Templars are anything but human.

I can agree with what you are saying here, but I think that helps my point.
Sure the guardians can be played up as 'possibly alien' which I view as very different that saying ' yeah, and here are their UFO's.'

Also Guardians are clearly more fanatic than the Templars are, based on descriptions. Templars have a lot of anti-vamp abilities but I don't see where they're described as being anywhere near as fanatic.

Exactly. :-D

Hm true... even at half effectiveness that's still pretty decent. You'd think they'd give, if not a PPE cost, at least some reduction in melee attacks to keep that active, but the description seems to imply they can just turn it on while punching a vamp to death or something. Pretty brutal.

Yeah, I tend view them as ignoring vampires unless they 'just happen' to come across or are drawn to them. The Wampires OTOH will have "friendly Liason" who just appears one day, in the middle of their base. That this happens is actually common knowledge among all the leadership of Nocturns. No one knows how they do that, but the liasons are always friendly, helpful and nonjudgemental to the point of being almost creepy. A surprising number of Nocturnes have become somewhat possessive of "their" Lightbringer(who just happen to stumble over spies/double agents with a steady consistancy)....

This leads me to question: just what would protect a vampire from sunlight? Full SWAT gear?

It might need to be a little modified(mostly the helmet and some more neck guards), but something like that maybe.

Sir_Spirit wrote:We, not our characters, but WE, can kill them with pee. PEE.
Pee isn't water, it has to be relatively pure water to work. Maybe if you don't consume much and water-fast for a day or two it might work. If it does, power to you.

Personally I don't think I would be good or fast enough with aiming for that to be beneficial.[/quote]

We know different people. :mrgreen:
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

All I'm saying is you might want to get a Hydrokinetic to make sure the streams don't cross.

Return to “Nightbane®”