Astral Radio: Your Opinion, How many creation points

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Astral Radio: Your Opinion, How many creation points

Unread post by Incriptus »

My hypothetical Astral Lord wants to allow his astral realm to get wireless communications from the real world.

How many creation points would you make it cost?
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Astral Radio: Your Opinion, How many creation points

Unread post by Nightmask »

Sounds like a 30 point cost item, it shouldn't be majorly costly after all since it's a very simple and limited alteration in the physical properties of the realm. Maybe even just 20.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Antimony
D-Bee

I'd rule it this way

Unread post by Antimony »

Under the Physical Laws features, the "Same as Earth" would seem to allow it, given it says,

Between the Shadows, page 57 wrote:This enables the character to bring tools, pieces of furniture and even appliances into his domain! The major problem with this characteristic is that people in the domain will need food and water to survive. Creation Point Cost: 20 points.

However, under the Living Conditions characteristic, number four: Energy, specifically mentions powering stereos. The cost is a whopping 40 points for the equivalent of a house, 60 for a city block, and +20 per each city block equivalent. But I'd rule it and say half a house size can be "powered" for 20 points. Maybe even half that if the domain is on a ley line or a nexus, twice that if in the Void (or it sounds garbled).

Such an ability could also account for "ghostly voices," erroneous text messages, and other spooky, atmospheric disturbances. 8-)
*Edited because I'm a stickler for my own posts being nice.
Last edited by Antimony on Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:rose:
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The trouble isn't so much the ability to bring appliances into the realm, or to find the electricity to power them, but rather to get the signals across the dimensional barriers.

Doesn't some of the hardware in the Shadow Board exist in the Astral Plane? Not sure...

It seems to me to transmit the information you'd need either an open portal to put wires across (or to let air cross to transmit radiation) or else you'd need to have communication-related magics take care of the job.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nightmask
Palladin

Tor wrote:The trouble isn't so much the ability to bring appliances into the realm, or to find the electricity to power them, but rather to get the signals across the dimensional barriers.

Doesn't some of the hardware in the Shadow Board exist in the Astral Plane? Not sure...

It seems to me to transmit the information you'd need either an open portal to put wires across (or to let air cross to transmit radiation) or else you'd need to have communication-related magics take care of the job.

You're just opening the realm to radiowaves from the physical world, shouldn't be a high cost item.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nightmask wrote:You're just opening the realm to radiowaves from the physical world, shouldn't be a high cost item.
This would require a portal, and portals have size limitations, I think. Plus they'd have to be properly placed to receive signals, and kept open whenever you wanted to exchange them, which could allow people to enter or escape your realm.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nightmask
Palladin

Tor wrote:
Nightmask wrote:You're just opening the realm to radiowaves from the physical world, shouldn't be a high cost item.

This would require a portal, and portals have size limitations, I think. Plus they'd have to be properly placed to receive signals, and kept open whenever you wanted to exchange them, which could allow people to enter or escape your realm.

Radiowaves are measured in sizes WAY below any you'd have to worry about when it comes to a portal for sending them thru, and way too small for anything to go traveling thru the portal no matter how much they've shrunk by. Just need it by any reliable cell phone tower and you'd be fine.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Good point... although it still means you'd need a portal per tower, and portals probably still cost the standard amount even if mini.

Couldn't people or entities in astral form get through though? Since they're intangible?

This makes me wonder, what happens if the 10ft man tries to get through the 5ft rift?
Nightmask
Palladin

Tor wrote:Good point... although it still means you'd need a portal per tower, and portals probably still cost the standard amount even if mini.

Couldn't people or entities in astral form get through though? Since they're intangible?

This makes me wonder, what happens if the 10ft man tries to get through the 5ft rift?

You don't need more than one tower connection though, or in a location where the signal can reach multiple transceivers. It doesn't necessarily have to constitute a portal either, it could be much like being in the border realm where you can see the real world even though technically it shouldn't be possible to see if the light can't affect your eyes in the astral. As a physical property you simply have a window location that's permeable to radiowaves but nothing else.

Being astral won't make you any smaller, or able to fit into a hole that's smaller than you are. You couldn't even perceive a hole that's so small it's on the scale of radiowaves.

Anything that can show a cross-section of 5' can fit through a 5' rift, so if the 10' man has a 5' cross-section (say across the shoulders) then yes he can fit through.

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I suppose he would have to crawl through or something like that. Would make for an awkard leap if the rift were in the air rather than right on the ground though.

It kinda begs the question of what occurs if you touch the edge of a rift though. Like if there was a rift-portal with a radius of 5 feet whose center is 10 feet off the ground, to get through it, what would happen if someone tried to grab at the edge of the rift to 'pull' themself up into it?
Kinghawke
Explorer

Unread post by Kinghawke »

Tor wrote:I suppose he would have to crawl through or something like that. Would make for an awkard leap if the rift were in the air rather than right on the ground though.

It kinda begs the question of what occurs if you touch the edge of a rift though. Like if there was a rift-portal with a radius of 5 feet whose center is 10 feet off the ground, to get through it, what would happen if someone tried to grab at the edge of the rift to 'pull' themself up into it?

his fingers would grip whatever is on the other side, however; there is a strong possibility that the rift will close and he'll lose his fingers.
King Hawke--I don't make the world, I just live in it

Return to “Nightbane®”